Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

PLEASE READ! EXCITING INFORMATION! new member

General chat and talk about whisky.

PLEASE READ! EXCITING INFORMATION! new member

Postby acl003 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:08 pm

For a while now I have known that my family owned some kind of a Whisky company dating back to the 1800's. I have set my mind on the goal of re-establishing it. I may be young, but I am driven. I need advice from experts, and maybe some references of people that I could talk too in order to accomplish this goal. Anyways read this letter from my grandfather. I have proper documentation of the establishment, recipes, names, ect, even though the nazis have tried to make it disappear.

Dear Adam,

The letter head in my file has deteriorated and is too light to permit scanning. So let me provide a few facts and we (grandma) can provide more information when you are next in town or over winter break.

The letter head in my genealogy file is on a letter written July 31. 1915. It shows that the name of the firm was Jos. Oppenheim founded in 1852. A factory producing fine liqueur and importing Jamaican Rum etc. The trademark "Berggeist" was registered in Vienna and Prague. At the time the city of Bennish was located in the Austrian - Hungarian Empire and the capitol was Vienna. After the first World War ended Bennish was in Czechoslovakia and the capital city was Prague. This country has now been split into the Czech and Slovak Republics. The trademark consists of a man carrying a large bottle on his back. In other letterheads I recall him carrying a keg in which liquor is aged. The letterhead also list the telegraph address as Oppenheim Bennisch and Telephone No. 6.
Your Great Grandfather Kurt Oppenheim and his brother Walter were partners until the Germans forced all Jews in this German speaking part of the country to sell, rather give their property to Nazi Party members. This was before the War in Europe started in 1939. It was a time of appeasement and giving Germany control of part of the country while the remaining portions became puppet states. Your grandmother was fortunate to escape after the War started through Holland on one of the last ships able to leave from there in 1940.
I don't have time to run all the facts past Grandma but we can all talk later. Love Grandpa
acl003

Re: PLEASE READ! EXCITING INFORMATION! new member

Postby acl003 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:09 pm

sorry about spelling errors
acl003

Re: PLEASE READ! EXCITING INFORMATION! new member

Postby mata » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 pm

hi I think you might be interested what i know about your grand father liquor brand. you can give me a shoot on ktmata at hotmail.com
mata

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder