Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

I need help with my dads Hogshead

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: I need help with my dads Hogshead

Postby woodhill » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Mart

Is there perhaps an update to this saga.

I'm sure you will find all the Cask stuff we have been on about the last couple of months very interesting.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Mart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:03 pm

i thought i'd just done a good job of doing an update!

anywho, where do i look for the cask stuff info, as can't see anything obvious on the main page ( i am a numpty afterall!)

thanks

Martin
Mart

Postby Mart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:11 pm

lol, it wasn't david boyd i spoke to afterall ( i wondered why it would be!), turn out to be someone else there. I only know cos i just rang them back as i need to find out how much the VAT is on the origonal purchase price of the cask, cos i can't find any origonal purchase price here.

i'll leave you all alone for a bit now!

Martin
Mart

Postby woodhill » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Sorry Martin I must have been writing that as you posted it.

Amyway Cask stuff is here

viewforum.php?f=20
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Martin please let us know how it goes. A photo of the finished product would be nice as well.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:28 pm

or even a sample :P
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Mart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Well I ve been round to my dads to take my 2 great danes for a walk and to tell him the good news.

straight away he got out his calulator to figure out how much it was all costing him etc.

Stupid question, but why can it only be bottled "for freinds and family" use? surely all the duty is paid during the bottling process.

Any clue's how much this would be worth per bottle at cask strength? (obviously we could not sell it, just accept gifts in exchange to a simlar value :smoke: )

also, when bottling should we keep it at cask strength and get 19 cases of 12 bottles? or dilute to 40% and get 28 cases? obvoiusly cask strength is worth more, but does it outweigh the sheer volume when done to 40%?

I'm sorry for all the questions, just excited about it now. Dad seems happy to pay the £3288 it looks like its gonna cost to bottle it all. unless anyone wants to buy the whole hogshead from us!!

cheers,

martin
Mart

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Mart wrote:also, when bottling should we keep it at cask strength and get 19 cases of 12 bottles? or dilute to 40% and get 28 cases? obvoiusly cask strength is worth more, but does it outweigh the sheer volume when done to 40%?

I would always say cask strength. Let the drinker take it down to the level that they wish to drink it (friends, family, others :) ). If you overshoot the sweet spot and have it all at %40 you may not be as happy in the long run.

An alternitive would be taking it down to say 50% like douglas lang, or 46%, that way if water is added it would be a standard like other beverages.

Just thoughts....

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:29 pm

I would guess wherever your cask is lying now would be well connected to a bottler. I'm surprised they're sending you elsewhere or telling you you're on your own, from what it sounds like you've told us anyway. Also, until the cask's 20th birthday the whisky is not 20 years old, only 19 until then. Also, your post is a bit confusing: "Just spoke to David Boyd, the cheif blender at chivas bros." and "I called he and she basically said for approx £4000 (including all taxes etc) I could have 230 75cl bottles of cask strength 20 year old macallan delivered to my door!! is that a fair price?"
I'm just wondering what does Chivas Brothers have to do with bottling your Macallan cask? Is it Macallan that you're bottling? Or is it a Chivas Brothers distillery?
Either way Mart, sounds great, looking forward to hearing all about it!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 pm

sorry to confuse you.

its in a warehouse owned by chivas bros, and i've been speaking to a man there about how to get it out.

when I say she, i'm refering to the lady called june at the bottling company I spoke to.

its definatly macallan, and yes, its not quite 20 years old, should I wait until it is?

martin
Mart

Postby r900p » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:11 am

Mart,

Try Old Bothwell wine and Spirits merchants, based in Bothwell, Lanarkshire. Great small little company one you want to use just to support the small guy. They are online if you just do a general search.

Hope that helps.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 am

Mart wrote:Stupid question, but why can it only be bottled "for freinds and family" use? surely all the duty is paid during the bottling process.

I assume because you don't have a license to sell it. (Or a licence, either.)

Episode 132 of WhiskyCast (http://www.whiskycast.com) deals with cask ownership, including bottling issues. You might find it worth a listen. In fact, every episode of WhiskyCast is worth a listen--if any of you out there aren't listening to this every week, you should be!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:16 am

Hi Mart,
my recommendation is also for Cask Strength.
With around 230 bottles I guess the price per bottle is around 15GBP, plus whatever was already paid for the cask up front. Compare this to the current price of 18y Macallan and you should have a good deal for whisky which is older.

Leave it until June so it is 20y!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Right just spoke to Ricky at chivas again.

The cask definatly exists, and he's sent me an email with a list of bottlers who might take it on, but he mainly swayed towards craigton, even though i hadn't mentioned them to him!

He's also said we can get a 100ml sample for £12 from the cask if we want to try before commiting to have it bottled. this sounds like a plan to me.

If we were able to find a legal way to sell it ( i am good freinds with the owner of a local pub, could that be an avenue?), we'd have to sell for £30 a bottle at cask strength just to break even, would people be prepared to pay that????

Oh and i found out from Ricky that its currently in a refilled cask, is that abad thing?

Martin
Mart

Postby Newbie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:51 pm

£30 for a single cask Macallan 20 year old would be a very good price. I am sure many people would be interested in this, myself included!
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 pm

I second that £30 quid is a good price although it really depends on the quality.
But I would definately take a punt at a couple at that price!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:14 pm

We used craigton to bottle our cask and we were very impressed. very professional and helpful and tollerant of novice questions.

Again having recently bottled a cask I would be happy to help. Selling is an issue but 'club membership' isn't.

private message me if you want more information
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Mart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo,

I've returned with an update.

I waited until this week to start the process again, as the whisky turned 20 a week or so ago. I've spoke to a guy called Ricky at Chivas, and he's now requested the cask be reguaged and a 500ml sample drawn from it. Though it made me laugh, as the next time anyone's going to the warehouse where its stored, is July 1st!! So shortly after that i will have some more info and indeed a sample.

I had a good conversation about the whole process with a guy at a malt whisky shop i chanced upon in stourbridge near Brum (http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk/finem ... index.html).

and he seemed quite interested! though he did say to find out if its been in a sherry cask. I found out and sadly it hasn't, so it's not going to be as special i guess.

anywho, waiting for my sample now, so i'll let you know when it comes.

Martin.

P.S. any true whisky conneseur (spelling?) lives near mid cheshire and could give their expert opinion? there again, i'm pretty sure we're gonna bottle it, regardless of how it tastes.
Mart

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 pm

I reckon that if you are up to it and give some time to it you probably could sell a good few bottles to the crowd on this forum as well as that other contact you've made.

Not ure if it's my cup of tea but the fact you said it's not a sherry cask might be more interesting actually.

Keep in touch ....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 pm

ITS GETTING EXCITING!!!!!

Just had the reguage details back from Chivas!!

The angels haven't been too nasty of the years, here's the facts:

Total current litreage=188.10
actual current strength=55.80
total litres of alcohol=105.50

what that equates to is about 268 bottles at cask strength!!

Just told me dad, and he's starting to sort out his funds to get it bottled (about £4000 including tax!).

But first, the sample 500ml sample is on its way. fingers crossed he likes it, cos he's abit buggered otherwise!

thanks for all you support, and i'll keep you all far more updated as we close in to the big day!

Martin
Mart

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:46 pm

Martin sounds good. Keep us posted on the progress. :)
les taylor

Postby ikendal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:52 pm

ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby moyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

After just reading this thread for the first time, i am locked to this space and need closure :D

It is like a well written novel, with it's good introduction and meaty middle that draws to in and has you hanging for the next post.

It's had it's ups and downs but the main character has been well presented and battled through adversities. :P

I am now in total mind numbing anticipation for the next installment.

Yes i know, I'm a bloody Aussie fool - and loving it. 8)
moyboy

Postby Mart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:21 pm

hmmmm,

Do i note a hint of sarcasm in this mans post?

ah well, here's the newest installment in the hogshead saga.........

I HAVE A SAMPLE!!

and if i can figure out how to post a pic, you can see it! It is described as a "white" whisky as i understand, and it is rather pale. But the most important thing is my dad thinks its lovely, he says its very nice and smooth, and too easily drinkable.

Alls we need now is someone to give a proffesional opinion, rather than my dads very descriptive "its loveryly" synopsis.

It is indeed getting bottled, and 268 bottles at cask strength will soon be in our hands ( i say soon, that is as soon as the people at craigton packaging answer the pigging phone/email!)

until next time freinds.......sleep tight!

Martin
Attachments
IMAGE_007.jpg
IMAGE_007.jpg (611.61 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Mart

Postby Mart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm

hmmmm, if only i knew how to edit my post and put a smaller pic on :insane:
Mart

Postby Ras Mazunga » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 pm

This is like a fairytale to me!
I'm sure you can sell all bottles here on the forum.
I'm interested anyway. Very much. :coffee:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Here's a better picture for ya'll ....

I presume by "white" whisky they mean Bourbon Cask.

Date is 02/06/88 which would make it a 20yo

Strength 63.5% (Seems very high or was that the original strength)

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Jimmy321 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Mart wrote:actual current strength=55.80
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby moyboy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 am

Mart wrote:hmmmm,

Do i note a hint of sarcasm in this mans post?

ah well, here's the newest installment in the hogshead saga.........

You did Mart :) , But it was all in jest. I have been enjoying this thread.

Congratulations on the bottling.

I would love to be in your dad's situation - What to do with 268 bottles of 20y.o. Macallan. :shock:

Good luck to him, and if you are after a professional tasting then send a bottle over here and i will make sure it is given the respect it deserves. :D

We appreciate whisky more in Australia cause it is so much harder to get. :P :P :lol:

Only kidding people.... Please don't foe list me. :angel:
moyboy

Postby jowillder » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello everybody.
I googled 'Hogshead-help' and came across this forum.
All i can say is...can anybody help me with my Mum's Hogshead?!!

My Mum purchased a Hogshead as an investment just as Mart's Dad did. She has now handed it over to me to deal with. :o
I knew nothing about whiskey until I read Mart's forum chat but may I still ask a few questions and describe what it is I have?

Tobermory Single Highland 2nd class BCP
Filling date; 16.04.96
Burn Stewart Distillers, East Kilbride.

What does BCP mean?
Is this good whiskey?
Should I bottle it and try to sell it, continue to pay the rent until it is older, or sell it back to the distillers for the £575 they are offering to give me for it?
I think my Mum paid around £1,000 for it initially so the latter seems a real scam on the distiller's behalf.
Has she been scammed altogether maybe?

Please could someone help. I really know nothing apart from what I have read about Mart's Dad's Hogshead!

Thank you in anticipation of some serious whiskey knowledge!!!
jo
jowillder

Postby Mart » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:03 pm

oooo get you ya hijacker!! (i didn't sound at all gey then did i?),

might be worth starting a new post as i think i've bored people to death already so they probably won't loook at this thread now anyway!!

they're a great bunch and will surely give you the best advice. My only other advice would be to use craigton packaging if you want it bottled, but definatly speak to the distillery cos my lot have been really good, giving great advice too.

back to me!!

The hogshead is being collected from Chivas on the 23rd, and craigton reckon within 3 weeks it'll land on our doorstep. all 260 odd bottles at cask strengh!! bloody good job really, cos my dad seems to have drunk the sample they sent anyway.

once we know how much the final bottling cost comes to, i'll notify what the "club" membership will be in case anyone fancies some.

best of luck, these lot are a great bunch!

Mart
Mart

Postby jowillder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

Thank you Mart.

Many apologies for the hi-jacking!
I will take your advise and start a new listing as soon as iIcan work out how to do it!!

In the meantime, can I ask you how you are intending to get rid of all your bottles of prime whiskey? :dead:

i love these smilies...they speak a thousand words!

Kind regards,

jo
jowillder

Postby Mart » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey everybody!!

The hogshead is now in the capeable hands of craigton packaging!

Just spoke to them to finalise the label designs, and they said that they should be bottling it in 4 weeks or so (no rush then eh?).

however i just told my mum this, and she is now worried cos she thinks there's another alcohol duty rise next month, and it'll make a big difference in cost considering there's around 260 bottles at 55.4%!!

Is there any truth around her worries?

cheers,

Martin
Mart

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder