Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bushmills 1608 Anniversary

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Bushmills 16 Years Old

Re: Bushmills 1608 Anniversary

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:27 pm

I had a little personal tasting of this last week against the Black Bush and the old 1608. In order of perference

1 - New 1608
2 - BB
3 - Old 1608

That's not telling you much, but let me finish by saying I've polished of nearly 2 bottles of the new 1608 in the last week with very little help.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:20 pm

IainB wrote:I had a little personal tasting of this last week against the Black Bush and the old 1608. In order of perference

1 - New 1608
2 - BB
3 - Old 1608

That's not telling you much, but let me finish by saying I've polished of nearly 2 bottles of the new 1608 in the last week with very little help.

I popped it open last night also ..... and I can concur with your 1,2,3

The new 1608 Anniversary edition is really nice ...

Lovely nose with slightly vinegared Malt, Citrus & grape, Wood
and plenty of soft dried fruit like apricot which carries through to the taste.

This is so much more fuller than the old 1608 and more rich fruitness and it feels like it is a single malt :thumbsup:

Iain really enjoyed the Jameson Rarest also really excellent stuff .... I think I'll be getting a bottle of this stuff also :iwbrnt:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:52 pm

The Jameson rarest is a difficult one alright - I mean the price is mad but it's got to be one of the most interesting things they've made in Midleton. Glad you liked it!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby cathach » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 am

IainB wrote:The Jameson rarest is a difficult one alright - I mean the price is mad but it's got to be one of the most interesting things they've made in Midleton. Glad you liked it!

Any chance of a run-down on it? More importantly should anyone ever pay E500++ for it?

Now if it was a pure pot still...........
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:16 am

The Rarest Reserve is fantastic. I'd have the shelves stocked with them if it was a little cheaper, a few hundred cheaper.

I don't mind that it's not pure pot still. I really think pure pot still lends itself to blending and some of the blends are as good as the pure pot stills I've had.

Re the Bushmills Anniversary, I have been trying it lately, and it's ok. I wouldn't be mad on it, but it has got a very good reaction all round.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

I really have enjoyed my Bushmills 1608 anniversary bottle but I suppose it tastes nicer when you only pay circa €65Euro a bottle :P

Yes, I think the Jameson Rarest is class also. If it was half price I'd easily pay for it.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby cathach » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 am

Had a glass of the 1608 there in Tigh Neachtain in Galway. E6.50 for the shot

Impressions:
lovely nose, sherry, allspice,
but disappointingly thin and bitter (might be the citrus notes others have been talking about) on the palate.
dry finish.

It might just be me but I found this awful poor stuff at the price (E95/bottle).
I found it really lacked the vigour of black bush, in fact almost like black bush with the punch taken out somehow???

It could be that I wasn't warmed up as it were, but I went on to have a Springbank 100 proof and the Auchentoshan 3 wood and I enjoyed both immensely. Much better value too I thought..........
cathach
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I will agree that it is lighter than the Blackbush but that is probably because I'd imagine there is less sherry influence in this whisky.

I'll give it another taste tonight and investigate further :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Had both 1608's last night.

The old one I would describe similar to your description to the Anniversary (cough cough) Edition.

I find that the new edition has quite a bit of sweetness to it in the form of boiled sweets. The finish is quite spicy and a nice bit of wood that I enjoy.

They did not by any chance slip you a glass of the old one in error as thery are both side by side on the shelf in Neachtains :o

Anyway we all have different taste & tastes so no surprise that I may like it and you think it so so :lol:

I'm away now probably not back till the week after next .... keep dramming guys :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Rob B » Fri May 16, 2008 4:24 pm

My local Sainsburys has the Anniversary as a Manager's Special for £45. A tad more realistic than ebay? :wink:
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby cathach » Mon May 19, 2008 12:15 am

Definitely, thats the cheapest you'll get it without a relative in the distillery........
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Hello Friends,
The LCBO has added the Bushmills 1608 Anniversary bottling to their shelves. Frodo and I are discussing splitting a bottle. So, it is great to find this thread and to read everyone's comments. The bottle is retailing for Can $99.95. The reviews state that the whiskey is distilled using crystal malt which gives its smoothness. Excuse my ignorance, but is this whiskey triple distilled? If so, I imagine the combination of the malt and distillation process would also give it a delicate quality.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Wendy. I'm pretty certain it is triple distilled.

It's about 90% Bushmills malt, albeit Crystal Malt, and I doubt it was distilled less that 3 times. The 10% grain comes from Midleton and again I'm pretty certain they always triple distill (or so they say!)

I can send you a sample if you want to PM me your address again.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Bushmills makes a big thing on tours about triple distilling. They explain that this is the fundamental difference between Irish whiskey and Scotch.

I know that you can disagree with their assertion on so many lavels, but I suspect it is a good indicator that their whisky really is triple distilled.
Deactivated Member

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Bushmills makes a big thing on tours about triple distilling. They explain that this is the fundamental difference between Irish whiskey and Scotch.

I know that you can disagree with their assertion on so many lavels, but I suspect it is a good indicator that their whisky really is triple distilled.

I think that was always the IDL line anyway so I guess that's carried through to the Diageo days.

Anyway, as you said, I think we can safely conclude it's triple distilled. It usually says so on the bottles somewhere. I'll check later.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:45 pm

If you look at the red bit of the front label, right under the white writing that says "Irish Whiskey" it says "triple distilled" in small letters.

I'd put a picture up but I don't know how. :oops:
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm

They triple distill it once.

I wasn't mad on the anniversary edition myself, but it's really grown on me.
Aidan

Postby WhiskyBrat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:32 pm

I had a full vertical at BM earlier on in the year with Robert (Bob) and thought the 1608 was very nice, bought a bottle. I also tried the cask strength Bourbon single cask ltd edition but they never had any of that in the shop :(
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby JCSkinner » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:30 am

I was chatting with one of the Diageo boys in Dublin this evening, and we were arguing over whether the 400th anniversary crystal malt edition is thinner or beefier than BB or the Bush single malts.
I reckon it's a nice aperitif whiskey, but as others have said here, it lacked the oomph of other Bushes, which disappointed me.
The Diageo lad reckoned the crystal malt was more impactful, but then again maybe he has to say that.
He was chatting about how it came about. Apparently Colm Egan had been playing around with different malts and came up with it. But it was only when it was kicked around to do something for the anniversary, and they realised they didn't have anything particular in the pipeline prepared that they decided to release this.
Apparently there have been other similar experiments done up there, but there are no plans to expand the range whatsoever, more's the pity.
But the Diageo chap did seem a little crestfallen when I told him I'd tried and enjoyed a Glenmorangie made with a chocolate stout malt at Whisky Live recently (the Signet.)
So now I'm sat here wondering if there's an experimental cask up in Bushmills made with a stout malt, and if so, how in hell can I get my hands on some...
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:57 am

Thanks to everyone for your comments and confirming the Anniversary bottling is triple distilled. Frodo and I have decided to split a bottle, but I think I will buy one to save for a rainy day.

JCSkinner, I enjoyed reading your story about how Colum Egan came about creating the blend. I met Mr. Egan a few years ago when he hosted a Bushmill tasting for the Toronto chapter of the Companions of the Quaich. He did a fine job and Bushmills was very generous with the samples. It was a memorable occasion.

It was a pleasure to have a discussion with the lot of you again.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:15 am

opps...spelling correction: Colm not Colum.

I also meant to comment about the effect of the crystal malt on the whiskey. There are different types of crystal malt, but generally speaking, it is known to lend body and mouthfeel with a light caramel sweetness. I don't think in this case, the Diageo rep was just carrying the party-line with his comments on its particular impact in this bottling. I would be interested if anyone else has more info on crystal malt. I know it is also used in breweries.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Wendy wrote:opps...spelling correction: Colm not Colum.

You had it right the first time! :D
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks, David! The funny thing is that I think I spelt OOps wrong!!! A big oopsey-daisy! :D

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:40 am

I wonder does Bushmills have any really old stock. It's very good aged, like the 21 and the 25. I'd love to see a 30-year-old or someting like that. Surprised they didn't do sometime more limited for the anniversary.
Aidan

Postby Iain » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:15 pm

According to Paul "Louis" Walsh , CE of Diageo,

"Johnnie Walker has been around since 1820 and Bushmills just cele-brated its 400th anniversary."

(http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/new ... uoyant.php)

Do you think he really believes Bushmills is 400 years old?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby cathach » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:25 pm

Iain wrote:

I hope not, but on the bright side at least they don't let him near the still-room.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:55 am

Iain wrote:According to Paul "Louis" Walsh , CE of Diageo,

"Johnnie Walker has been around since 1820 and Bushmills just cele-brated its 400th anniversary."

(http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/new ... uoyant.php)

No, but they did celebrate their 400th anniversary. Just like my wife celebrated her 21st birthday last month.
Aidan

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:35 pm

Aidan wrote:No, but they did celebrate their 400th anniversary. Just like my wife celebrated her 21st birthday last month.

I'm sure she doesn't look a day over 18. :D
Iain
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Bushmills 16 Years Old

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder