Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Newbie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 pm

From a marketing perpective it would be foolish not to distinguish the new ten from the old ten.
Newbie
Gold Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: "New TEN"

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I've never seen anything anywhere indicating that Ardbeg intend to release a "new TEN", except in the runaway speculations of forum posters. Can anyone provide a solid citation?


Perhaps you've being reading the wrong forum........:lol:
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 pm

I have indeed--all that speculation was here.

My "best judgment" would also be that there would be a general brand makeover, but I'm keenly aware that my best judgment is, after all, nothing more than a guess. This is how false rumors get started an propagated, from people jumping to conclusions based on their "best judgment", and others taking speculation as fact. I had seen nothing remotely official on this, and wanted to know if anyone had. Dr Bill's word to Les is sufficient for me, too, unless I hear otherwise. Even "official" word should be taken with a grain of salt sometimes--believe it when you see it.

Did you know they're discontinuing the Balvenie 10?
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I have indeed--all that speculation was here.

My "best judgment" would also be that there would be a general brand makeover, but I'm keenly aware that my best judgment is, after all, nothing more than a guess. This is how false rumors get started an propagated, from people jumping to conclusions based on their "best judgment", and others taking speculation as fact. I had seen nothing remotely official on this, and wanted to know if anyone had. Dr Bill's word to Les is sufficient for me, too, unless I hear otherwise. Even "official" word should be taken with a grain of salt sometimes--believe it when you see it.


Mr T just to add if you have a bottle of Almost there. On the box at the front near the top. Is the countdown from 1998 to 2008 Ten year Old.

Did you know they're discontinuing the Balvenie 10?
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I have indeed--all that speculation was here.

My "best judgment" would also be that there would be a general brand makeover, but I'm keenly aware that my best judgment is, after all, nothing more than a guess. This is how false rumors get started an propagated, from people jumping to conclusions based on their "best judgment", and others taking speculation as fact. I had seen nothing remotely official on this, and wanted to know if anyone had. Dr Bill's word to Les is sufficient for me, too, unless I hear otherwise. Even "official" word should be taken with a grain of salt sometimes--believe it when you see it.

Did you know they're discontinuing the Balvenie 10?



Mr T just to add if you have a bottle of Almost there. On the box at the front near the top. Is the countdown from 1998 to 2008 Ten year Old.
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Newbie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:14 pm

Just went to have a look at my Almost There. Its true it does end in 2008 with a ten years old.

But it doesn't say a 'new ten year old'. You don't want to speculate and start propagating a false rumor now do you les :P
Newbie
Gold Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Personally I know what I know. If anyone wants to believe what I say that's fine if they don't that fine as well. Just wait for the summer. Then all will be revealed. :)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I have indeed--all that speculation was here.


You couldn't have !
From what i remember you were boycotting the forum ?
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Collector57 wrote:
Newbie wrote:Just went to have a look at my Almost There. Its true it does end in 2008 with a ten years old.

But it doesn't say a 'new ten year old'. You don't want to speculate and start propagating a false rumor now do you les :P

No you don't want to do that Les.
And apparently that's what you will be doing. I heard it from a ghost who left these forums some time ago vowing never to come back....so it must be true :P



Nick you're a very naughty boy. :wink:
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:24 pm

All what will be revealed Les ?
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 pm

I've said enough already.
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Whoa ! Idle chatter Alert !!!! :roll:
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 pm

I have also heard that Ardbeg will not only repackage their entire range of bottlings and presentations, (that's right, no more green bottles!) :shock: but they'll also drop their prices tremendously in order to "crash" all of the crazy speculation and prices their bottlings are going for. This will also allow everyone out there to drink only Ardbeg and enjoy what we've all been ranting and raving about. That also means the double barrel will be more appropriately priced at a more convenient 1229£ even. New releases will be 19.99£ for 6-10 years old, 24.99£ for 11-18 years old, and 31.99£ for 18-25 years old, and finally, 49.99£ for any whisky older than 25 years old. This is part of their new plan for 2008, yet to be revealed. But it will be at the Islay Whisky Festival. Spirit of Islay could probably verify all of this as he too received the same memo directly from the indirect source I received it from. Bye bye :mrgreen:
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I have also heard that Ardbeg will not only repackage their entire range of bottlings and presentations, (that's right, no more green bottles!) :shock: but they'll also drop their prices tremendously in order to "crash" all of the crazy speculation and prices their bottlings are going for. This will also allow everyone out there to drink only Ardbeg and enjoy what we've all been ranting and raving about. That also means the double barrel will be more appropriately priced at a more convenient 1229£ even. New releases will be 19.99£ for 6-10 years old, 24.99£ for 11-18 years old, and 31.99£ for 18-25 years old, and finally, 49.99£ for any whisky older than 25 years old. This is part of their new plan for 2008, yet to be revealed. But it will be at the Islay Whisky Festival. Spirit of Islay could probably verify all of this as he too received the same memo directly from the indirect source I received it from. Bye bye :mrgreen:




Jonathan that's amazing news. Thanks for sharing that with us. I guess that'll knock the bottom out of the ebay market. :D
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Aah...... You hear the Voices Too ?
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Actually not nearly enough to quiet those voices! And to top it off, the Norwegian bureaucracy is driving me nuts!!! Ardbeg, help!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Collector57 wrote:I heard it from a ghost who left these forums some time ago vowing never to come back....


Now see, that's exactly what I mean. I never vowed never to come back. I said I couldn't participate with any sense of honor or dignity. As the Latin motto below attests, my participation here now is entirely without honor or dignity. I always feel so dirty after posting here...excuse, me, I'm going to go take a shower.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:11 pm

My thinking is that this forum is very much poorer without the likes of Tattie, Jan, Jeroen, Crieftan et al. A forum needs all sorts to work - and a whisky forum needs a healthy mix of those who know their whiskies and those who can create the traffic to keep things interesting. Two forums split as they are means both of them suffer. I hope that the exiles will feel able to come back, and I hope that if or when they do, they will be welcomed with a spirit of generosity.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:15 pm

I will second that feeling Nick. However, I believe there is still a place for the other forum. We should not feel oblidged to frequent one over the other. In other words, people here should feel free to visit Jeroen's site as well.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23931
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Newbie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I have also heard that Ardbeg will not only repackage their entire range of bottlings and presentations, (that's right, no more green bottles!) :shock: but they'll also drop their prices tremendously in order to "crash" all of the crazy speculation and prices their bottlings are going for. This will also allow everyone out there to drink only Ardbeg and enjoy what we've all been ranting and raving about. That also means the double barrel will be more appropriately priced at a more convenient 1229£ even. New releases will be 19.99£ for 6-10 years old, 24.99£ for 11-18 years old, and 31.99£ for 18-25 years old, and finally, 49.99£ for any whisky older than 25 years old. This is part of their new plan for 2008, yet to be revealed. But it will be at the Islay Whisky Festival. Spirit of Islay could probably verify all of this as he too received the same memo directly from the indirect source I received it from. Bye bye :mrgreen:


Is it the 1st of April in Norway already? :P

Is this for real? Does Ardbeg have enough stocks of whisky to widely release anything older than a 10 year
old?

You pulling my leg Di Blasi? I was planning to buy some more Ardbeg but if this is the case I'll wait!
Newbie
Gold Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 pm

Nick Brown wrote:My thinking is that this forum is very much poorer without the likes of Tattie, Jan, Jeroen, Crieftan et al. A forum needs all sorts to work - and a whisky forum needs a healthy mix of those who know their whiskies and those who can create the traffic to keep things interesting. Two forums split as they are means both of them suffer. I hope that the exiles will feel able to come back, and I hope that if or when they do, they will be welcomed with a spirit of generosity.


Why is it that this subject keeps coming back round ?
If i remember rightly none of the forum members forced this list of people to stop posting , they stopped of their own accord , it was expressed at the time they were welcome back .

a whisky forum needs a healthy mix of those who know their whiskies and those who can create the traffic to keep things interesting.


So basically this forum isn't interesting without these people ? I think that's a bit of an insult to the current set of posters , i personally think this forum is going great guns , it's not full of what other people would call anorak talk , it's got a good mix of humour , banter and information .
Why if Mr TH feels participation here is now entirely without honour or dignity and he always feel so dirty after posting here , does he keep returning ? I said after getting sick of something that was happening on another forum that i wouldn't return and haven't !

So i must say on the whole i disagree with your opening statement Nick , Sorry !
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Well said Gordon! This forum has never been better in my opinion. I also think it speaks well of all the members not to voice any bad words or harsh opinions on those who have come back.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:36 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Why is it that this subject keeps coming back round ?


Beats me. I was posting here peaceably when I was subjected to an unprovoked snark attack. Seems there are some who can dish it out, but not take it.

Nick's point has, as usual, been missed. I, for one, thank him for his thoughtfulness and his effort to keep the peace. Those who jump on him for doing so should be ashamed.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 am

Oh well, at least now we all know where we stand.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:01 am

Bruce:
I too am pleased to see you posting here. Now, I have a query... this post is about Ardbeg renaissance. My question is, how many different types of Ardbeg are out there? I get the feeling there must be at least a hundred from everyone's comments throught the forums.

Around here I only get to see one or two and am the poorer for it.

Muskrat
User avatar
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Jan says the North Pole, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Ganga » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:59 am

There also seems to be multiple LOTI, three Provenance, Very Young, Still Young, Almost There, Oogie, Beist, Ten, and a bunch of single casks.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23931
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:52 am

Also - Mor, Oogling (and other Committee bottles), 17, 1977 (and heaps of other 1970s bottles), Kildalton 1980, Kildalton 1981 (in minis as part of Peat Pack). There must be others too.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:12 pm

There are some Ardbeg's listed here in his collection;

http://www.internetv.biz/bero/mycollection.asp?colpag=
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Ganga » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Also, it should be noted that we've pretty much kept to the OBs and not delved into the many bottlings from Signatory, Douglas Laing and other independent bottlers.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23931
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:35 pm

There are so many IBs that you could never keep track of them all. I think most people don't count IBs when they ask how many expressions there are of a given whisky - unless it is a super rare whisky such as Ben Wyvis or the legendary Lomond.
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:41 pm

Nick Brown wrote:There are so many IBs that you could never keep track of them all. I think most people don't count IBs when they ask how many expressions there are of a given whisky - unless it is a super rare whisky such as Ben Wyvis or the legendary Lomond.


Quite correct, nobody is going to turn down a Maltmill because it's an IB.
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Aidan » Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 pm

This mightn't be the best place to bring this up, but does anyone know what kind of whiskys go into the current 10 year old? What ages etc. I take it that it's all bourbon barrel whisky?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:22 pm

I just got word from the importer it arrived in Norway yesterday, finally available here! Looking forward to getting myself one and for Cafe Herman!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Ryguy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I just got word from the importer it arrived in Norway yesterday, finally available here! Looking forward to getting myself one and for Cafe Herman!


Very Nice Purchase Di Blasi! Once you try it (if you haven't already) you'll definitely want more! Excellent stuff IMO! :smoke:
User avatar
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Winslow, Maine, USA

Re: Ardbeg Renaissance, at 55.9% ABV

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:12 pm

ryguy wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:I just got word from the importer it arrived in Norway yesterday, finally available here! Looking forward to getting myself one and for Cafe Herman!


Very Nice Purchase Di Blasi! Once you try it (if you haven't already) you'll definitely want more! Excellent stuff IMO! :smoke:


Thanks ryguy! But it's just the importer that has just gotten it in, I haven't gotten a bottle yet. But I'll probably special order myself a bottle, to start! Can't wait to taste it!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder