Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longrow 18 Year Old

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Longrow

Re: Longrow 18 Year Old

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I'm not sure where in all this it is the right of any collector to be able to buy anything over anyone else simply because they are a collector. Christopher has as much right as anyone else on here to buy however many of whatever bottle he wants and to then do with it whatever he pleases. And I seriously doubt that out of 2200 bottles, those who really wanted this for their collection didn't get one because of the dozen or so bought by people on this forum who took Christopher's advice.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:21 pm

And calling another forum member 'scum' is pathetic, no matter how much you disagree with them.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 pm

butephoto wrote:Christopher has as much right as anyone else on here to buy however many of whatever bottle he wants and to then do with it whatever he pleases.

As I have said, it is legal (subject to HMRC views) but deeply unethical. He is aiming to take a rake without actually offering any extra value - and using this forum in his efforts to manipulate the market to do so.
And I seriously doubt that out of 2200 bottles, those who really wanted this for their collection didn't get one because of the dozen or so bought by people on this forum who took Christopher's advice.

They will just have to pay more for the privilege - or are you calling Invercannie a liar?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Nick Brown wrote:They will just have to pay more for the privilege - or are you calling Invercannie a liar?

Oh, nice try. But no, I'm not calling him anything as you well know. If the Whisky Exchange put up their prices then that's their call. Maybe they too are scum, then?
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:42 pm

butephoto wrote:And calling another forum member 'scum' is pathetic, no matter how much you disagree with them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

I've spent a lot of time re-reading this thread (when I should have been pushing back - or at least leaning gently against - the frontiers of science).

I accept a lot of what Christopher said in his reply - it nicely clarified his position. His original posts did conjure images of "spiv's" selling nylons on street corners at extortionate prices during rationing! But as I said in my original post I'm reconciled to people who have different agenda's to me be they "collector" "speculator" or a bit of both.

The much lamented V7 always talked about his collection as his "pension" - is he a speculator or an investor?

Bute makes another good point
butephoto wrote:If the Whisky Exchange put up their prices then that's their call. Maybe they too are scum, then?

Again whist we might not approve of this sort of speculation by a retailer (I fell out with Luvian's over something similar!) - its a free market and they can charge what they want. I'm not sure there is much we can do about it (except not buy from there!). I'm sure my 1-man Luvian's protest has hurt me more than them!

Hoping still to be on good terms with everyone :lol:

Fish
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:37 pm

I haven't called any individual member of the forum scum. I have just called speculators scum. They seek to make money for nothing. They don't help anyone, they don't provide any service, they just suck up people's money. They are leeches.

Now, I have accused adogranonthepitch of being a speculator - and I think the evidence is there in front of you. He has done the rounds of whisky shops, telling them that this Longrow will sell like hot cakes. He has guaged their stock levels. He has then posted here several times exhorting us to buy the stuff now - with the promise of rapid profit. He knows where people will try to buy the stuff - and is willing to PM people with suggestions if their imaginations fail. The result will be that a lot of people end up with a large number of bottles of Longrow that they had never expected to have. The increased demand - focused principally on mail order shops - will make it appear that the demand is greater than it really is, so those mail order places will replenish stocks by any means necessary and charge customers for the privilege. The smart speculator will then dump stock before the bubble bursts - whilst those who don't dump will be left with a product that they don't really want but can't shift for the expected level of profit. The product will probably remain on sale for the high prices but won't actually sell unless a deep discount is offered.

If you don't believe me - if you think this is a case of an honest collector who has been misunderstood - how do you explain the phonecalls doing the rounds of all the whisky shops to get stock positions?
Deactivated Member

Postby jplu2 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Not to add to the argument at all...but this description may add a little fuel to the fire regarding this bottling

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000036961

P.S. I'm just glad I've got a bottle ... which I will thoroughly enjoy
jplu2

Postby jplu2 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Also in their description for the Longrow CV ...

"the 18 will be ogled, hoarded and profiteered upon"

Interesting...perhaps dog's nose is not the only one that has twitched
jplu2

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Dog phoned Serge to tell him that it would be hoovered up.

I think I might need to make a hoovering smiley.
Deactivated Member

Postby jplu2 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Sorry...I don't know everyone in the World of Whisky. I presume Serge is from RMW?
jplu2

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:24 pm

This will do for now:

No, see Malt Maniacs to see who Serge is.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Butephoto - what exactly is the point you're trying to make?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Butephoto - what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

I'm just providing light entertainment. How about you?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm curious. Are you condoning shilling?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Collector57 wrote:
butephoto wrote:Dog phoned Serge to tell him that it would be hoovered up.

I think I might need to make a hoovering smiley.

Well it's certainly worth noting that Serge is nobody's fool. He's not about to be takn in by one person's view I would imagine. More likely to make his own mind up what will be cleected and collectable?

That was a wee joke.

The point is that this bottling was being hyped by more than just dog, and well before it came out.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I'm curious. Are you condoning shilling?

Absolutely not. There's no shilling going on round here.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:51 pm

After reading the bit from the RMW website. Do you think we've uncovered the identity of The Dog?

Like Superman is Clark Kent. Could The Dogranonthepitch be none other than Serge Valentin. Does he eat Cryprtonite for breakfast is the next big question?
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:16 pm

les taylor wrote: Like Superman is Clark Kent. Could The Dogranonthepitch be none other than Serge Valentin. Does he eat Cryprtonite for breakfast is the next big question?

Superdog!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
les taylor wrote: Like Superman is Clark Kent. Could The Dogranonthepitch be none other than Serge Valentin. Does he eat Cryprtonite for breakfast is the next big question?

Superdog!

I nearly spat juice on my monitor when I saw that photo...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 pm

butephoto wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:

Superdog!

I nearly spat juice on my monitor when I saw that photo...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Christian that is brilliant what a cute dog. :)
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Brilliant! Clink (two bottles of Guinness).

For those not aware, Guinness runs a series of adds here in the US using two Englishmen who come up with ideas and say "Brilliant!" and then drink Guinness.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:04 pm

:thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 am

Good point about Serge! So are all critics to be crucified? Many people have said Jim Murray alone is responsible for driving the prices of Ardbeg through the roof! Who says they're not profiteering from this? I am sure Serge needs to find away to pay for his site!

Even if they're not, by posting a favorable review they can easily create hysteria surrounding a whisky. I am sure these critics are more influential than a single poster here on this forum!

Dog posted a tip on a thread read by approx 1100 people and did all this damage - amazing! If Dog really can influence and manipulate so many people then his talents are wasted trying to make money on whisky!

Or perhaps maybe the whisky really is that good and it really does need buying up immediately!
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:15 am

Well...I have only tasted one Longrow (Tokaji 10yr 55.6), and I am re-tasting it now. I will not try to buy the 18 yo bottle, but not for any other reason than it is not in my area of interest.

I do, however, feel that the people that only pick up bottles for the purpose of reselling at an escalated price are scum. I have not researched enough to know who, on this site, is scum, but I will keep my findings of good bottles to the folks I know will actually enjoy them.

I have not met anyone on this site I don't like, but I'm sure I will offend someone with this post...for whatever reason...haha.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 am

C57 - here is Serge's review of the L18:

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivemarch08-1.html#090308

As others have said, this review was a good few weeks before the Dog posted here to encourage any 'hoovering'.

Personally I have not got my hoover out for this L18, but I got the Dyson out straight away for the Ardbeg Curlywurly :iwbrnt:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:16 am

Leither wrote:Personally I have not got my hoover out for this L18, but I got the Dyson out straight away for the Ardbeg Curlywurly :iwbrnt:

All this talk of Hoover and Dyson is surely borderline trademark infringement. Can we just say Vacuuming instead?

:wink:

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:24 am

I didn't get one of the L18s either. Maybe I need to vacuum more in the future.
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:26 am

fishboy wrote:All this talk of Hoover and Dyson is surely borderline trademark infringement. Can we just say Vacuuming instead?

FB

You are of course quite correct right FB - I apologise profusely. How could I have forgetten trademark laws after being thrown out by the Dyson Online Forum for daring to mention the words Ardbeg and Macallan :P
Leither
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 am

Leither wrote:
You are of course quite correct right FB - I apologise profusely. How could I have forgetten trademark laws after being thrown out by the Dyson Online Forum... :P

There's a dyson online forum? :shock:

Do you think they talk about vacuuming up multiples of the new limited edition, individually numbered, mauve-coloured DC04?

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:05 am

Leither wrote:
fishboy wrote:All this talk of Hoover and Dyson is surely borderline trademark infringement. Can we just say Vacuuming instead?

FB

You are of course quite correct right FB - I apologise profusely. How could I have forgetten trademark laws after being thrown out by the Dyson Online Forum for daring to mention the words Ardbeg and Macallan :P

Dyson Online Forum haha - that's great :lol:

It's a Bird...no it's a Plane...no it's SuperHoover!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am

butephoto wrote:I didn't get one of the L18s either. Maybe I need to vacuum more in the future.

I have hoovered one, but if it is any good I may hoover up another one. Assuming they haven't already all been hoovered up of course.
Willie JJ

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
butephoto wrote:I didn't get one of the L18s either. Maybe I need to vacuum more in the future.

I have hoovered one, but if it is any good I may hoover up another one. Assuming they haven't already all been hoovered up of course.

Infringement! Infringement! Infringement!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Bad form Willie :wink:

Surely buying more than one to drink on a limited edition is just as bad as buying for profit!

That means there will be one less bottle for someone else to try and will also help the speculators by increasing the rarity of the Longrow!

Buying whisky for what ever reason seems like a risky propostion as you seem to offend all kinds of people whether your buying to drink, collect or profit!
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Okay, from now on everyone is only allowed to look at whisky. No touching, drinking, or hoov...sorry vacuuming.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:45 pm

My last comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, Willie please feel free to buy what you desire!

Collector57 wrote:Newbie - I find it offensive that you should even write about buying whisky.

I feel a little offended that you find me offensive :cry:

butephoto wrote:Okay, from now on everyone is only allowed to look at whisky. No touching, drinking, or hoov...sorry vacuuming.

As long as your not looking at my whisky matey.....
(or any whisky I intend to buy, drink, hoarde, sell for extortionate prices on ebay or matured in casks, begins with a w, exists.....)
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Longrow

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder