Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cigars and Scotch

General chat and talk about whisky.

Cigars and Scotch

Postby JoeStone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:42 am

Well, being the malt newby that I am, I can't say if this is normal.

So, here I was a few moments ago, outside on a park bench near my home, a Glencairn-glass of Tamdhu NAS in one hand, a cigar in the other... when I noticed something startling.

The cigar seemed to have shifted my palate considerably. Before, Tamdhu was a lovely full-bodied dram, sweetish, earthy... a nice, inexpensive dabble into the single malts. As I enjoyed my cigar with it (A Backwoods, the 'damn-ugly-but-damn-tasty' ones,) when I noticed that my glass was suddenly overflowing with orange.

It was the strangest thing, I had never had that happen before.. maybe because I haven't often had a dram with a cigar. The Tamdhu had suddenly become overflowing with orange, both in the nose and the taste. An interesting effect from the cigar? It wasn't at all unpleasent, merely an interesting surprise.

Note: This isn't one of those bastard 'flavoured' cigars, nothing of the sort. Simply delightful tobacco.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
JoeStone

Re: Cigars and Scotch

Postby Gov » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm

You probably won't find a lot of people here saying cigar and single malts make a good combo because the cigar will change the dimension of the whisk(e)y. I smoke cigars on occasion, but have not tried it with whisk(e)y yet. I plan on it when the weather here gets better. A few of my buddies really like the combination. I have drunk red wine and smoked cigars quite a few times and really enjoy it! I expect the same with whisky.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Upon occasion I've enjoyed a Bowmore with a cigar. I can honestly say that both the flavor from the cigar and the whisky gets changed. Certain elements get muted while others are highlighted.

That said, I wouldn't try it with your best whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I dont smoke but I tried the Dalmore Cigar version and the whisky should go very well with cigars.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:47 am

I really enjoy smoking a cigar with a whisk(e)y. I usually have some bourbon on the rocks with a cigar. Scotch to me is a little too complex to enjoy with a cigar IMHO. Pour some Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve over some ice and smoke a Gurkha Doble Maduro. :D
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Apollo11 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 am

You live in Canada right? Ditch the Backwoods and get a Cuban Monte 2, and try drinking something full bodied to stand up to the strong cigar flavors.
Apollo11

Postby Gov » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 am

Apollo11 wrote:You live in Canada right? Ditch the Backwoods and get a Cuban Monte 2, and try drinking something full bodied to stand up to the strong cigar flavors.

Suggestions?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Whisky and Cigars = Perfect combination :smoke:

I usually try and go for something big, bold and aged well to stand up against a cigar.

Recent combos are Trinidad Reyes or Monte No 5 with Glen Moray 30, Whyte and Mackay 30, Auchentoshan 21, and Glenlivet 18 (but only with the Trinidad). And if you can give Monkey Shoulder a go, can work very well.

I've found Port finishes don't work very well, they go much better with a bit of chocolate.

And of course get a coffee to go with it as well, the perfect trinity :coffee: , the bitter coffee and cigar can really highten some notes from the whisky.
Matt2

Postby martin grant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I agree with Matt, in that Port finishes don't really go with cigars.

I do like a Sauternes finish with a wee Cohiba now and then though

:smoke:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm

How does the Islay whiskys pair up with a medium smoke? I don't like to harsh of a cigar. I like dominican or Honduras or Jamacian for example
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Gov wrote:How does the Islay whiskys pair up with a medium smoke?

During my experiments it just doesn't work. :yuk: Nothing with any peat or smoke, I guess there is enough smoke in the cigar, and the peat is strange. You can get some very bizzare flavours coming through. For me it has to be big, fruity and sweet with no peat or smoke.
Matt2

Postby Gov » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 pm

That makes sense I guess, thanks Matt!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Bob O. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:32 pm

I'm thinking Aberlour A'bunadh might work well...
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Oh ya!! I also am think, boubon wise, WT 101 would be good as well
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Apollo11 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 am

I would also try Jack Daniels Single Barrel with just a touch of water. I like the oakiness in the Jack with the cigar.
Apollo11

Postby geremy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37 pm

That's interesting, I usually have my cigars without any drink, I prefer to enjoy their pure original taste as it is. I admit that the sensation can be enhanced with a fine drink but I never been an expert in fitting the right cigar with the right drink... so that's why I joined you guys here.
geremy

Postby UUNetBill » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:28 am

I need to pay closer attention to what I've had with what - I've had some good cigar/whisky combos and some, well, not so much.

I agree that you should avoid Islays with a cigar unless perhaps you're smoking a light, mild blend.  I know that I've had pretty good success with the Dalmore Cigar Malt and mid-bodied cigars, like a Toraño, but the Dalmore isn't an expensive or overy complex malt so that may make it a good match.

I also agree that bourbon is a better companion for a cigar.  Or a martini.  Or even a beer.

Now if I could just find more time to experiment. . .
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Atomicboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Hmm, coming from someone who got into cigars (for the most part only Cuban, and even there only the good ones) before getting into scotch hard, I have always really enjoyed the 10 or so times a year that I have both together. To me, and I guess I'm alone here, they make a great combo, especially at night in the summer. I wonder if this has to do with the right cigar though, as I usually smoke either Cohiba, Montecristo or sometimes Romeo's. Bad to even mediocre cigars make everything taste like crap, scotch or not.
Atomicboy

Postby peergynt323 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:11 am

I have tried it. It works well for whiskies that I am just not all that excited about or ones that have a more generic feel to them.

But for my palate, I prefer cold, refreshing drinks with cigars.

I will usually start my smoking session with an old fashioned. muddle a sugar cube and a few dashes of angostura bitters in an old-fashioned glass. drop in a few ice cubes and fill with 10cl of rye (Wild Turkey for me). Skewer an orange slice with two morello cherries, stir it gently and drop it in.

The subtle notes of spirits are tough to detect through the cigar smoke, but the fresh fruit and orange peel make a great companion.

Towards the end of my session, I may switch it up with a brandy alexander.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder