Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig Cairdeas - Feis Ile bottling

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Laphroaig Cairdeas - Feis Ile bottling

Postby John McGill » Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Received mine as well today - despite me giving them the wrong delivery postcode :headbang:
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Rob B » Fri May 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Mine arrived this morning, but I wasn't in. The bottles are now sitting in a city link depot 50 miles away until they re-deliver on Monday.

RE
how is the name of this whisky pronounced?
I was told on the phone today that "Carchis" should sound phonetically accurate.

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 16, 2008 4:12 pm

They tried to deliver mine yesterday. I picked it up this morning. :D
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Rob B wrote:I was told on the phone today that "Carchis" should sound phonetically accurate.

Gaelic tends to have a neutral vowel sound in between two consonant groups - in this case, between the "r" and the "de". The word is derived from caraid (friend), which shows a much clearer break between the "r" and the "id". The final vowel sound could be neutral (as I suggested) or somewhere between an English "a" and "i", but the latter option would probably be better on a stressed syllable.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Leither wrote:Great - I hope Ardbeg are watching and learning as to how a special release should be handled :P

Like not send you a confirmation of the order , then take ya money straight away and wait a while before they dispatch the bottle ! Looks like they're not so perfect either.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mccandless1 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm

:evil: My 2 arrived whilst I was out at work. And as predicted theve gone to some citylink place bloody miles from here. I motorbiked it down there but couldn't find it. Place is like a bloody rabbit warren. So the pain it seems shall continue till monday.
Mccandless1

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Mccandless that sounds like the Citylink depot in Livingston it took me about half an hour of driving around to find this morning. :x
Willie JJ

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri May 16, 2008 10:45 pm

This afternoon i made a 40 mile round trip to pick up 2 bottles from Couriers , both on the same estate . One from Bladnoch (ACP i think) and one from the SMWS (Citylink) , The last delivery from RMW ended up at the Couriers Depot at Durham ! The Post Office/Parcel Force may be more expensive but at least if they miss me in they are dropped off at the Village Post Office for Local Collection , Better 50p for collection than a gallon of Diesel and 2 hours in traffic Jams !!!!!
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 16, 2008 10:47 pm

I couldn't agree more.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat May 17, 2008 12:35 am

Collector57 wrote:why/
because they sit iuside, write out a card, put it through the box and drive off.
They don't try ringing the doorbell. II've seen the b******s.

Funny my Mother said that today. Well she never said b******s, but you know what I mean.
Willie JJ

Postby sampaiocaleia » Sat May 17, 2008 1:09 am

I'm still waiting for my bottle!! :evil:
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby Newbie » Sat May 17, 2008 11:50 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:This afternoon i made a 40 mile round trip to pick up 2 bottles from Couriers ....

Better 50p for collection than a gallon of Diesel and 2 hours in traffic Jams !!!!!

This is the reason I get anxious about my parcels arriving! If I miss them its a long trip to go collect!

The post office/parcel force depots may have better locations but they never leave the parcel at one thats close to my house! Also they never leave it at the same depot twice in a row :evil:
Gold Member

Postby edjohnb » Sat May 17, 2008 5:18 pm

You guys there are lucky to get it fast. When I ordered last year's Feis Ille bottling, it took 7 weeks+ to reach the customs here in Singapore. I took another week to find the time to finally get down there, pay the excise and carry off the loot!

Any other tasting notes? Was tempted to get the Corry but stuck to Cairdeas. I hope I've got it right this time......
edjohnb

Postby sampaiocaleia » Sat May 17, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm still waiting :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :headbang:
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby John McGill » Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 pm

I suppose it was only a matter of time (surprised it's taken so long actually!).

First Cairdeas I've seen on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laphroaig-Cairdeas-2008-Feis-Ile-Whisky-Bottle_W0QQitemZ110253735144QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1351QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Sun May 18, 2008 9:47 pm

...bottle in absolutely mint condition... The fill line on the bottle is perfect.

Well yes, I'd hope so what with it being brand new and all. Mind you, at least there's no reserve or silly price tag slapped on it, although I can imagine it'll sell for a good few quid.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Does for sale at the distillery shop and on the online shop not qualify as "The item is not available in any retail outlet" ?
Just wondering.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby WhiskyViking » Mon May 19, 2008 6:24 am

John McGill wrote:I suppose it was only a matter of time (surprised it's taken so long actually!).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laphroaig-Cairdeas-2008-Feis-Ile-Whisky-Bottle_W0QQitemZ110253735144QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1351QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not the first one though. Someone who got a bottle in Sweden was first, put up for sale May 2nd 11:25 - 2,5 hours after they were made available in Sweden. The bottles went for €92 - here.
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Mon May 19, 2008 8:22 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Does for sale at the distillery shop and on the online shop not qualify as "The item is not available in any retail outlet" ?
Just wondering.....

Gordon it is my experience that you could still buy this by the bucket load from any high street supermarket and it would go through the ebay radar. I reported an item once for this very reason. Were ebay interested? Not a jot.
les taylor

Postby Willie JJ » Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 am

WhiskyViking wrote:
John McGill wrote:I suppose it was only a matter of time (surprised it's taken so long actually!).

It's not the first one though. Someone who got a bottle in Sweden was first, put up for sale May 2nd 11:25 - 2,5 hours after they were made available in Sweden. The bottles went for €92 - here.

Just for once I thought I had got the bottle before it hit ebay. :roll:
Willie JJ

Postby Rob B » Mon May 19, 2008 7:54 pm

[img][IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/RobBilton_2007/P5180011-1.jpg[/img][/img]

Just thought I would share...

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Rob B » Mon May 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Oops,

Will try to post the photo later

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Rob B wrote:Image

Just thought I would share...

Rob
Deactivated Member

Postby Rob B » Mon May 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks Nick,

You are a gent.

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm

I got my two today....

opened one ...

its very sweet ...

I think I like it.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Mccandless1 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Collector 57..I couldn't agree more Citylink or os that *HITTY-LINK are the most useless bunch of idiots this world has ever seen. Not only are they near impossible to find but they also mis-treat goods etc etc. I wish vendors would give you the option to pay more and use parcel force or some similat grp. Still waiting for mine and if that sodding company have anything to do with it ill never see em evvvveveveerererrererr.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGHGHGGHGGHGHGHH! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mccandless1

Postby r900p » Tue May 20, 2008 12:08 am

Pay more, apparantly we are paying more to Ardbeg to post the bottles so the are insured, from what i have heard they have had to do this becuase they aren't wrapping bottles properly, my friend recieved his today, and we could hear it rolling around in the box, i won't be happy if mine arrives in this way, paying more i'd expect it to be safe.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby DanAir » Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 pm

How hard would it be to put it in a polystyrene case? That's how my Cairdeass came, and they were in perfect condition.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Mccandless1 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:48 pm

Well at last I got my hands on the package :D Sent via a crap company but as DanA says they are well packed. Tasting...got to that bit streight anyway.
My first impressiosn were that it (as maybe expected) has a very young nose, almost new spirit like, with the usual laph' smoke. Taste maybe not as smooth as the 10 year but its certainly got its own character, floral in part with the smoke at the tail and a little 'smothing else'...a sweett note of some kind (can't quite put my finger on it). With all the talk of Laph doing a good PR job on a not-so-old whisky I was worried that I might be dissapointed, but im glad to say im not. You could quite easily get a far better whisky for its price but it is unusual and offers somthing that is new to Laph fans. Would I advise otehrs to buy it..well if ur a fan of Islay whiskys then yes, otherwise £40 would be best spent elsewhere.
Mccandless1

Postby TheTross » Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Yep, my Cairdeas was also packed in a polystyrene case that fit snugly in a cardboard box of the exact same shape. Simple, but it seems to work. Still cost a tenner for p&p mind, though it was for next-day delivery once the bottle had been despatched, so I'm not complaining about that at all.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Tue May 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Twelve days after I'm still waiting for my bottle!!!!!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Sold out? There are two on ebay already...
Deactivated Member

Postby edjohnb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 am

Finally mine came.
I didn't have to go pay the excise before getting it. Which is weird, considering it is bottled at 55% abv.
A little disappointed with the packing; due to it's long journey to Singapore, the bottle made a deep dent on the tin cover. Fortunately, nothing's wrong with the bottle. Can't wait to try it.
Slainte! :mrgreen:
edjohnb

Postby r900p » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:35 am

2/3 rds of my first bottle gone already, luckily i have been able to scrounge a couple of the Queen of the Moorlands sample Laphs to try so that should stop the weird evaporation for a little time.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Aidan wrote:If it's any way similar to Irish, it would be pronounced caar-jas, but of course I haven't a clue about Scots gaelic.

Late post. Aidan that is 100% correct, your pronounciation is identical although I'm sure Lewis folk will argue with me.
Le Jock Sportif

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder