Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Auchentoshan Relaunch

General chat and talk about whisky.

Auchentoshan Relaunch

Postby WhiskyBrat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:20 am

WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Re: Auchentoshan Relaunch

Postby TheTross » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 am

As the article says they do look a little Highland Park-esque, and the layout also reminds me a lot of that of the Ardmore TC bottle. I think I like the new design, but all the bottlings that have been 'modernised' just seem to look the same to me.

Just hope the whisky's changed too though, as the expressions I've tried (10yo and Three Wood, so not exactly exhaustive to be fair) have done nothing for me. That was a long time ago though, so perhaps I'd enjoy them better now - might be time to give it another go once the new range come out...
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:50 am

I like. A lot.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I like a lot too. And I like Auchentoshan. Looking forward to the launch.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Certainly a vast improvement over the last packaging, even if HP-esque. The HP change was an improvement, I thought.

And, while some may not be for this, I think the simpler and straightforward design will work in attracting new drinkers.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:02 am

I think HP & Bowmore have spawned a new look :wink: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby sampaiocaleia » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:06 am

I think the some!. Much like Highland Park.
I prefer the old fashion look!

sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby mrbump » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:15 pm

I'm not sure that grey is the best choice of colour for the box, it certainly doesn't jump out at you. I always had a soft spot for the select and having tried the new classic I can't say I'm hugely impressed.
mrbump

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 pm

I thought the old old packaging was distinctive - the cream label with the round-cornered boxy letters and its various predecessors. I agree that the packaging being phased out didn't really work and the new stuff is an improvement on that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 pm

Just got back from the Auchentoshan launch bash in Glasgow. I was a bit worried at first because the drams seemed inoccuous to the point of pointlessness. However it turned out they had been sitting on the bar for a wee while in large tumblers in a very hot room. Once we got fresh drams poured it was a different story.

They range consists of:
Classic
12yo
Three Wood
18yo
21yo

The Classic and 12yo are pleasant, but uninspiring; a bit too light for me.

The three wood is much more interesting. Ten years in bourbon before being finished first in Oloroso then in Pedro Ximinez. Very drinkable.

Then the 18yo. Now we're talking. This is a real dram, definitely worth a try, although at £50 a bottle there may be more interesting alternatives.

Finally, the 21yo is excellent. A really good dram. As the drams get older there is an increasing proportion of sherry casks in them and it really shows with the 21yo. I could happily drink this stuff on a regular basis, but no doubt the price will put paid to that. I forgot to ask but no doubt it will be well North of the 18yo's £50.

All in all I was not disappointed, especially with the older expressions. Auchentoshan has always been capable of making good whisky and while the younger expressions of the new range are just a little too light for my jaded palate there was definitely something in the range for me.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Gov » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:40 am

Willie JJ wrote:Just got back from the Auchentoshan launch bash in Glasgow. I was a bit worried at first because the drams seemed inoccuous to the point of pointlessness. However it turned out they had been sitting on the bar for a wee while in large tumblers in a very hot room. Once we got fresh drams poured it was a different story.

They range consists of:
Classic
12yo
Three Wood
18yo
21yo

The Classic and 12yo are pleasant, but uninspiring; a bit too light for me.

The three wood is much more interesting. Ten years in bourbon before being finished first in Oloroso then in Pedro Ximinez. Very drinkable.

Then the 18yo. Now we're talking. This is a real dram, definitely worth a try, although at £50 a bottle there may be more interesting alternatives.

Finally, the 21yo is excellent. A really good dram. As the drams get older there is an increasing proportion of sherry casks in them and it really shows with the 21yo. I could happily drink this stuff on a regular basis, but no doubt the price will put paid to that. I forgot to ask but no doubt it will be well North of the 18yo's £50.

All in all I was not disappointed, especially with the older expressions. Auchentoshan has always been capable of making good whisky and while the younger expressions of the new range are just a little too light for my jaded palate there was definitely something in the range for me.

Cheers

The classic is a replacement for the "select" I take it? How does it compare?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am

It's been a long time since I had a dram of the Select so its very difficult for me to give a useful answer to your question Gov.

On (distant) recollection the Classic struck me as perhaps even lighter than the Select. There was marketing speak about the Classic being a new and different taste, but how that translates into the name 'Classic' I don't understand. It was clear from the marketing that they are seeking a younger audience, especially for the younger malts. In my experience that means less taste. That also makes sense with the experience of the drams last night.

I can't recall the composition of the Select (if I ever knew it), but the Classic is 100% bourbon and I would be tempted to think that there were a lot of refills there too.

It's not a bad dram, just very light. It will struggle in the company of more flavoursome whiskies, but might be great in hot weather. Time will tell.
Willie JJ

Postby Gov » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:53 am

Thanks for the detailed response, Willie
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:49 am

The three wee embossed stills on the bottle are a great touch.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder