Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Are there any singlemalts comparable to Rosebank?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Are there any singlemalts comparable to Rosebank?

Postby MacLlyr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Well I married a Kentucky girl with bourbon in her blood, and although I do enjoy bourbon I have been trying to get her to drink scotch with me. She cannot stand the Islay malts which are my mainstay, however I introduced her to Rosebank and she loves it. The problem is as you know Rosebank is no more, I have purchased every remaining bottle in my region and I very rarely find it on eBay. Do any of you know of any other single malts that are comparable to Rosebank but are still being produced today, any info will be much appreciated.
MacLlyr

Re: Are there any singlemalts comparable to Rosebank?

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Tough call MacLlyr (and welcome to the Forum).

I have had very different Rosebanks (some good some not so). But I would say go after another lowland to start with. Try one of the young (or NAS) Auchentoshan's. A lot of them have the light spice that I associate with the Rosebanks (that I liked).

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 pm

First, let me suggest trying a search for Rosebank at some of the on-line stores. I know there's a thread around here somewhere. Secondly, there are only a few operating Lowland distilleries available. Bladnoch seems the closest of these. Next, you have St. Magdalene. This is closed but you might try these if there are some available in your area.

A non-Lowlander you could try is Braes-Glenlivet (aka Braeval). It is a delicate Highlander.

One last suggestion, ask her what it is about Rosebank that attracks her. Why? Well, if you come back with the description we can probably make further suggestions that are not form the Lowland region.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:07 pm

If it's oranges and lemons in the Rosebank, then Ganga's suggestion of Bladnoch is a good one.
Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm

I would have thought if she's keen on bourbons she'd like sweeter malts with vanilla notes. Bruichladdich 18 springs to mind. Has she tried anything other than Islays and Rosebank?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:20 pm

For sweeter malts with vanilla on the nose, try Tullibardine 1993 (bottled at 10yo). That's the description to a T.
Deactivated Member

Postby MacLlyr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Yes she has tried only a few; she is able to handle gentle highland malts that are aged in sherry cask (for the sweetness). She found Glenmorangie tolerable to her pallet. I think in the Rosebanks she has had she likes the lightness, and softness the most. Like I said she likes the sherry cask sweetness but I think she finds the sweetness found in Rosebank a bit gentler. I typically only stay on Islay for my malts so I don't spend too much on others, and I am relatively ignorant of lowland malts. She did like Dalwhinnie as well but not like Rosebank.
MacLlyr

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 pm

MacLlyr wrote:She did like Dalwhinnie as well but not like Rosebank.

Dalwhinnie is a good call, and not one mentioned. It is a very nice light malt.
mikeymad

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 pm

I'd go with Bladnoch.

but if she likes sherry, what about the obvious??

Macallan sherry Oak - 12 over there(10 here is standard). Even better, the 18.

she might even like the lesser sherried Mac Fine Oak 15(probably the best of the fine Oak series)

Or a Glenfarclas? 15 is really nice..

...or Aberlour??

...or the newish Glenmorangie Lasanta? The sherry is a bit more subdued and delicate than the Mac...maybe halfway between the "sherried" Macs and the FO 15.

A very nice dram particularly on what Jim Murry calls the "mouth arrival."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I forgot!

At christmas i was given my first bottle of bourbon, which II've never particularly taken to.
Like you I spend much of my time "on Islay" though I enjoy my "onshore" excursions!
But I'm relly enjoying this "Woodford Reserve" .

Last Saturday I was offered a dram of a lowland scotch I hadn't had in a while, the "Auchentoshan Three Wood."

I was amazed how much it reminded me of the Woodford Reserve! Smoky, toffee, sherry...i could go on. Not a typical Lowland malt, or even a typical Auchenotshan by any means, but this could well be worth a punt...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Just a shot in the dark (or turn the lights on, if you prefer): try Scapa 14.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 am

I have a friend who's exactly the same. He's got cases of Rosebank 12yo FF tucked away - all to drink.

The first recommendation I made was 'Laddie 10yo. He said it was too peaty !! He does like the 17yo OB a lot though abd bought a couple of bottles, so I can definitely recommend that.

Otherwise I'd say:

Bladnoch - (as others have said)
Glengoyne 10yo - very light, no peat.
Glen Elgin 12yo
Glenfiddich 12yo
Auchentoshan select

Personally I would avoid Glenkinchie 10yo OB. It may be a lowlander but it is pretty hot and forgettable.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 pm

I agree with most comments above, but if you can find them, also try the Compass Box Eleuthera & Oak Cross.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Way of the to the west of scotland is another Island malt you might try if your looking for something light .....

Tyrconnell Single Malt from cooley :P

but seriously......... consider it.... :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby whsmc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I type this reply sitting less than one ,mile from the old Rosebank distillery a with a bottle of the Douglas Laing & Co. 18 year-old by my side. In my opinion there are two whiskies very similar to Rosebank; Glenmorangie warehouse 3 reserve and, not surprisingly, there is St Magdalene (Linlithgow) which was distilled only seven miles away further east along the Union Canal.
whsmc

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 am

Its simple. Bladnoch, Aberfeldy, and Braeval. Thats Bladnoch, Aberfeldy, and Braeval - nothing else - as recommended by my fiance Amy.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Pete Smoke wrote:Its simple. Bladnoch, Aberfeldy, and Braeval. Thats Bladnoch, Aberfeldy, and Braeval - nothing else - as recommended by my fiance Amy.

Really? Hadn't thought about Aberfeldy before. May have to go explore this some more. St. Magdalene/Linlithgow is very close in profile but is also a lost distillery.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 am

Aberfeldy for honey and light sweet fruits. The Aberfeldy 12 is honey, citrus, melon and a sweet bit of spice. I've had a couple of excellent Braeval recently - very underrated!
Deactivated Member

Postby No Man » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 pm

I'll second Aberfeldy--I think it has the lemony flavors I associate with Rosebank. Get a cask strength IB if you can.

I have lost all belief in regional styles. I don't think Bladnoch is like Rosebank at all. Then again, why would a whisky from the Machars taste anything like one from beautiful downtown Falkirk?
No Man

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 am

Bladnoch would be my No. 1 choice as a viable alternative to the usually superb Rosebank.

It's not simply about the citrus and spice characteristics (as others have already pointed out here) the two often share, but also the floral/herbal aspects - a key, as far as I'm concerned, to what makes Rosebank what it is (was). And a good Bladnoch (especially with a bit of age on it and a decent bottling strength) should offer up an attractive 'garden mélange' in abundance.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am

Erm...Maclyr seems to be absent from this conversation..and has been since 2008!

But if you're watching, there ARE bourbon barrelled malts that masquerade as Bourbons!

Glen Moray Mountain Oak is (was) an example. I currently have open the gift of a 15 YO cask strength Japanese whisky that is VERY bourbonish...

I'm wondering if the lass would go for Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or? Very sweet with sandalwood and spices.

But this thread started 2 years ago, By now she may be downing Ardbeg by the gallon along with her man, who knows?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby No Man » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Well, the important thing is to get the answer right, after all...timeliness is optional.
No Man

Postby Aidan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:14 pm

I'd say Bladnoch, Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie, Bushmills or Tyrconnell.
Aidan

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder