Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Australian import duty warning

General chat and talk about whisky.

Australian import duty warning

Postby duckmcf » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:17 am

Hi Gang,
I posted a similar message yesterday in the "Ardbeg Corryvreckan" thread, but I thought that it might be of interest over here too for any other Aussies buying whisky over the web.

Basically, I ordered a bottle on-line and when it landed in Australia I got stung for import Duty from Australian Customs.

A breakdown of the total cost goes like this;
45 quid for the bottle of Corryvreckan (which I expect includes 17.5% UK VAT) :D
20-ish quid to deliver it to Australia :roll:
AU$47 Australian Vol Duty (AU$66.67 per litre for alcohol less than %80) :o
AU$6 more Australian Duty :shock:
AU$17 Australian GST :x
AU$4 Transport / Insurance Tax :evil:
around AU$1 for daring to pay for all this by VISA. :twisted: :twisted:

I phoned Customs to see if all this is right and to check if the rules had changed. The reason being that over the years I've ordered at least 6 bottles over the web and this is the first time that I've been stung with import duty. I won't go into the details of my conversation with them, suffice to say that there was a free and frank exchange of views that ended with me paying the Duty.... :headbang:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying my way tax-wise, but this seems over the top to me. I'm also irritated that given that I've imported whisky before and not been stung for duty it appears that customs decides to apply duty for personal imports in a hap hazard, random kind of way.

Anyway, if there are any other Aussies here the Top-Whisky-Top-Tip, if you don't want to end up paying over AU$200 for a bottle of whisky that retails in it's home land for the equivalent of around AU$94, is not to order your whisky over the net.
duckmcf

Re: Australian import duty warning

Postby moyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:18 am

Yeah, its a bloody bugger.

I got hit big time bringing in a bottle of Jameson gold from USA.

I got hit with an extra $34AUD on top of the purchase and postage.

It just makes it that much harder for us Aussies to get anything even close to a good deal from over the net... :headbang:

And like duckmcf said, i have got other bottles in from overseas and never got hit with the extra tax...
moyboy

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 am

With customs it's really the luck of the draw.
When ordering across continents you should ALWAYS expect to pay duty. Just consider yourself lucky when you get away with it.

If there is any mention of alcohol on the packaginf or delivery note, expect to pay.

Likewise, if the labelling shows the sender as being in any way connected with alcohol, expect to pay.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby moyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm

You are right there MT.

I was just lucky the first few times.

I just find it hard to look on the bright side when some of the whiskies i desperately want are just out of reach due to the extra tax (which i now allow for).

And i don't get to buy duty free anywhere near enough... :cry:

I will just have to force some more money out of the minister of fun and finance, oh how i love her.. :insane:
moyboy

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Just crossing my fingers that that does not filter thru the US customs.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:48 am

Oh, I'm sure it will - I was sent several samples from the Continent, and they never arrived. I'm assuming they got 'customized', but what really fries my donkey is that you don't really know what happened. You'd think that if a shipment got stopped, they'd have to let you know somehow, maybe a postcard or something letting you know that they nabbed your contraband. . .

Annoying, to say the least. :evil:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby hook55 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 am

as an Aussie living in Philippines which does not have a great supply of single malts!!! I was thinking of buying from the net and shipping here? but I checked Customs and anything you bring into the country via air or sea gets duty and VAT added to it!

So I have to wait and get my malts from duty free. :D
hook55
Silver Member

Postby WhiskyViking » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:10 pm

'fraid I can't offer much in the way of sympathy from Norway.

We're not even allowed to purchase alcohol from abroad and get it shipped to Norway. Only way to receive alcohol from abroad is as a gift from a friendly soul. But this invokes costs:
1. First one must apply for permission to receive alcoholic beverages - a process that takes about a week, but is mainly a pro-forma process. But one can not receive more than four liters at any one time.
2. Alcohol tax equal to 5.89 NOK per % abv/liter = 235.42 NOK (£23.29) for the Corry
3. VAT is 25% on both tax and original value. For the Corry the total VAT is 171.89 NOK (£17.07).
4. Processing fees and such can be 199 NOK (£19.68) (for Norwegian Royal Mail, varies from company to company).
5. So for the grand pleasure of receiving a bottle of Corry as a "gift", one must in Norway pay 606.31NOK (£59.97) pluss the 453.15 NOK (£45) for the bottle and 120.84 NOK (£12) in shipping. Approx £117 for a bottle of Corrywreckan - sounds fair?
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 pm

hook55 wrote:as an Aussie living in Philippines which does not have a great supply of single malts!!! I was thinking of buying from the net and shipping here? but I checked Customs and anything you bring into the country via air or sea gets duty and VAT added to it!

So I have to wait and get my malts from duty free. :D

I was in Manila several times. They have these huge duty free store outside of the airport. The only thing is you have to shop within 3 days of arrival. The selection is not much but they are big on JW black label. I think the price was pretty good. They have a marketing ploy where you buy 3 1liter bottle of JW black for $80 plus you get a travel bag and a nice shirt. You can not beat that! But beware some of the single malt were price way up to much.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby masonburrell1975 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Import and export always come with duties and taxes to accomplish. This is common not just in Australia but in all the other countries around the world as well. Rule of the thumb is that there is always a tax for everything that goes out and comes in any country. Australia is no exception. With this being said, Australia has clearly defined rules when it comes to importation of goods and liquor. You simply have to be well informed. A great way to be knowledgeable in the industry and not be surprised of duties to pay is to learn the trade yourself. Check out My Import Label and you might as well start your own profitable import and export business.

http://www.myimportlabel.com.au/import- ... nd-courses
masonburrell1975

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder