Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The last drop - the world has gone mad

General chat and talk about whisky.

The last drop - the world has gone mad

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 pm

http://lastdropdistillers.com/supply.php

They are expecting over £1m from this blend. It's immoral to spend that kind of money on this stuff.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: The last drop - the world has gone mad

Postby Ryguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

That is certainly far beyond what I'd be willing to pay for any blend, that's for sure. But when it comes to that special bottle of Single Malt, and it had 6 letters, starting with A, ending in G, I'd consider it. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 pm

There's a particular CS version of JWBlue (crystal decanter) that retails out at $3000 per bottle.

Still this is insane. Are there many collectors/consumers that are willing to shell out hundred or thousands of GBP or US$ for blended whiskies? I can't see it.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:04 am

Well it might be great. Few if any of us are ever likely to find out. For my part I think that there are many great whiskies out there and for less money and more fun we can find them simply by trial and error. It's my preferred method. :D
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:12 am

Hmm, if you did have 82 barrels involved (200 liters apiece) then originally 16400 liters would have bee placed inside these casks.

Assume: All bottles are 75 cl, equates to 1010 liters in bottles, or about 6.2% of the original contents or 93.8% lost to evaporation and bottling process. All bottles are 70 cl, equates to 943 liters in bottles, or about 5.8% of original contents or 94.2% lost to evaporation and bottling process.

Now CI points out that they said less than a 1/3 remained. Hmm, ok more math. 1/3 of 16,400 liters is 5467 liters while 1/4 is 4100 liters. It would seem something is amiss in the calculations somewhere. Either there were not as many casks as stated, cask contents were lower (very high evaporation), or not everything was bottled as part of this particular whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 am

Ganga wrote:Hmm, if you did have 82 barrels involved (200 liters apiece) then originally 16400 liters would have bee placed inside these casks.

That's assuming that the casks were full when they got them. :angel: :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 am

I see that two of the 3 founders are Tom Jago and James Espey. They give their cvs on the founders page on the website, but there's no mention of their close involvement in another recent whisky venture - Blackwood Distillers.

Funny that! :?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby andyt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:11 pm

The interview on WhiskyCast sheds a bit more light on this. They state that they found 3 barrels that been blended from 70 malts and 12 grains at a minimum age of 12 years then put into new sherry wood and forgotten about for 36 years.
andyt
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Scuse my ignorance, Iain, but what's the big deal with Blackwood distillers? Who are they, etc?

Meanwhile, I'm drawing up quite a "wish list" in my head of what i would buy with a thousand quid!!

A Lagavulin 21, A Port ellen, 2 each of declining malts, one to "collect" one to "drink"(e.g. Longmorn 15, old Bowmore 17, Baldnoch F&F etc)

Dream on...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 pm

This whisky was produced and bottled for rich people who find it necessary to prove how much money they have.

No matter how much money they have, they can't kill a unicorn and mount its head on their office wall, so this whisky will have to do.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Aidan wrote:This whisky was produced and bottled for rich people who find it necessary to prove how much money they have.

No matter how much money they have, they can't kill a unicorn and mount its head on their office wall, so this whisky will have to do.

Even with my own whisky collecting head on, I have to agree with Aidan here.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm

I collect too, and have spend silly money on some bottles, I'll have to admit. I bet it didn't cost these people over £1m to buy these casks. They probably paid a fraction of that.
Aidan

Postby r900p » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 pm

If i was paying that i would want a fancy box for the price, saying they figure collectors have too many decanters and boxes and that is why they haven't provided one with it is bonkers IMHO, surely they have done it to save costs.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Scuse my ignorance, Iain, but what's the big deal with Blackwood distillers? Who are they, etc?

Blackwood's Shetland Distillery project has been the subject of some discussion here on the forum, but you can also get a flavour of developments there (or not) from Scotchblog:

http://www.thescotchblog.com/2007/07/wh ... deal-.html
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:27 pm

I would not pay any heed to where the whisky came from or how many bottles were produced in a limited edition. Remember this is a blend and one does not have to use a whole cask in making the blend so I would not look at it as using 70 entire casks of Malt and 12 casks of grain. As Aidan said this was probably casked as a blend in 1972 and you'll probably find that not even all the whisky was used back then either.

This to me is basically an IB JW Blue and then charging a grand it :shock: Looks more like an Upmarket Black Bottle and should be a third of the price if anything.

The most worrying thing to me is the strength ..... 52% (approx :o ) why not give the actual proof. after 48 years in a cask sounds a bit much to me but I suppose it could of been originally casked at a much higher strength. Who knows..... ????

If you ask me it comes across very amateurishly put together and their packaging & PR has a lot to be desired. If your selling a quality product everything about it should have a quality feel about it. The web site is even cheap and nasty :roll:

Anyway I really have nothing to worry about as I'd have no interest in a product like this :|
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

andyt wrote:The interview on WhiskyCast sheds a bit more light on this. They state that they found 3 barrels that been blended from 70 malts and 12 grains at a minimum age of 12 years then put into new sherry wood and forgotten about for 36 years.

Sounds like they sold off the majority of the 82 casks and poured in this blended whisky back into 3 casks then. This makes more sense then (from a mathematical standpoint).

As for trophy mounting, those "hunters" usually go after "big game" that is recognized and not something under the radar. Is there really a market for 4 digit blended whiskies? I can see the JWBlue CS crystal decanter as JW is a very recognizable brand name to many consumers, even outside the whisky realm.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 pm

It is always easier to criticize than to do something oneself, but this does seem to have attracted some fair criticism.

This is a 46yo blended whisky. It has a lot of ingredients, but is not the complete set - a la Ultima. It was married in a sherry cask for many, many years, but that's not unique. It is disappointingly presented - the label looks like a standard amateur job, and the shoebox presentation is an embarrassment. The bottle is bog standard, and the wax seal is available on regular whiskies. This doesn't feel spectacular. And there's no special story. No SS Politician in there.

It isn't terribly scarce. At 46yo, there are 1347 bottles. That's twice a very optimistic output from a sherry cask of a much younger whisky. For an oldie, you're normally talking about a couple of hundred bottles - that won't sell terribly quickly. This will be around for a while.

Then there's the price. You can get a 48yo G&M Strathisla at The Whisky Exchange for £230. And Millburn, of which they make such a big deal, can be had for £110 for a bottle of 34yo, again at The Whisky Exchange. The very rarest blends, in stunning presentations, can usually be had for less than this whisky.

And then we have the tasting notes. Has anyone ever heard of the experts? Not me. And the chap who bought ten bottles. The website is careful not to say he actually paid £1000 a bottle - just that he had bought ten bottles of the £1000 whisky. Crafty.

This really does look like mutton dressed up as mutton - but with the rpice tag of a golden fleece.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm sure their venture won't be a failure. I wouldn't wish that on them, but most of it's exclusivity is in the price.

The rarity of the contents is interesting, but do they even know what's in it? Maybe they do.

They could make it even more rare by jamming penny blacks into the bottle, but that would not necessarily make it taste better either. Maybe some of the whisky that went into it was rare for a reason.
Aidan

Postby andyt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm

John Hansell of Malt Advocate gave a very positive review and a score of 95.
http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/07/30/review-the-last-drop/
andyt
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:10 pm

Did Duncan Taylor not have something similar not so long ago that was slightly younger but considerably cheaper ?
35yo i think , sure it was stored at Bowmore Distillery for a long time .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:30 pm

andyt wrote:John Hansell of Malt Advocate gave a very positive review and a score of 95.
http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/07/30/review-the-last-drop/

I read his review, but I would be interested to see if he would be willing to pay $2000 for a bottle. Odds are...he would probably buy an Ardbeg Provenance before the "Last Drop".
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Did Duncan Taylor not have something similar not so long ago that was slightly younger but considerably cheaper ?
35yo i think , sure it was stored at Bowmore Distillery for a long time .

I found refereneces to three different blends: 33, 35, 38. Here is a link to RMW and the 38: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000028966
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:51 am

Anyone here tried this whisky yet?? Many whiskies costing a £1000 don't get such harsh comments!! I guess this one should be based on quality and not on the fact that is a blend! By Christmas there will be more malts available with this price tag,(at least), surely if someone is willing to pay a grand on something to drink then the flavour is the most important thing, collectable value is whole other concept!!

Slainte!!!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 pm

I really doubt that any of us will have an opportunity to try this - it's a one bottling company who are probably not going to give out samples at festivals. The reason it is getting so much stick is because - even if it is good whisky - it is not special or rare enough to command that level of price and the packaging is terrible. I'd say, perhaps, it is a £200 whisky (being very generous indeed) dressed up to look like a £40 bottle.
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Ganga wrote:
As for trophy mounting, those "hunters" usually go after "big game" that is recognized and not something under the radar. Is there really a market for 4 digit blended whiskies? I can see the JWBlue CS crystal decanter as JW is a very recognizable brand name to many consumers, even outside the whisky realm.

I agree 100%. There's absolutely no name recognition with this product and if it's being marketed to trophy hunters (as I suspect) rather than whisky fanatics (in the best sense of the term, of course) I think they have an uphill climb. The cynic in me also thinks the high price is obviously a key aspect of their marketing plan...

In any event, I wish them the best. It's just not for me...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Nick Brown wrote:...it is not special or rare enough to command that level of price and the packaging is terrible. I'd say, perhaps, it is a £200 whisky (being very generous indeed) dressed up to look like a £40 bottle.

I'm wondering if the lowkey packaging is an attempt at reverse psychology marketing. Rather than using crystal decanters and satin-lined cherrywood presentation boxes, they've deliberately chosen to use pedestrian bottling to reinforce the idea that all of the buyers' money is being spent on this rare whisky, rather than expensive packaging. Wouldn't surprise me...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:
Ganga wrote:

I agree 100%. There's absolutely no name recognition with this product and if it's being marketed to trophy hunters (as I suspect) rather than whisky fanatics (in the best sense of the term, of course) I think they have an uphill climb. The cynic in me also thinks the high price is obviously a key aspect of their marketing plan...

In any event, I wish them the best. It's just not for me...

My point it that it becomes a trophy bottling because of its price. I don't know if it will, in actual fact, though.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:I'm wondering if the lowkey packaging is an attempt at reverse psychology marketing.

If that's what they're trying, I don't think it'll work. If you spend £1000 on a bottle of whisky (which I haven't) then you'd want it to look the part. Frankly, you'd not be the kind of person who counts pennies. This just looks amateurish and like they haven't got any contacts with people who could do the packaging/labelling properly.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:22 pm

How is this release any different to say, Black Bowmore? I said that £2000 for a bottle of whisky (whose initial release cost around £130) was a bit steep, but alot of people disagreed. So why all the fuss? This is half the price so it must seem like an absolute bargin. Is it because its a blend? Is it because its a bad whisky? Is it because the packaging is unattractive (well perhaps if they add another £1000 you could get a fancy wooden casket?)
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:22 pm

There are differences between The Last Drop and Black Bowmore:

Black Bowmore is an OB of a well respected distillery

Black Bowmore is a single malt

Black Bowmore is a known brand that has fetched these levels in auction

Black Bowmore is well packaged

Black Bowmore is able to make people think it was selected carefully from other Bowmore whiskies rather than just having been left lying around for a while

I think these factors mean that Bowmore can charge what they do without being laughed off the pitch. The Last Drop, on the other hand, is just risible. It's a bit like painting a picture and charging a million for it because it is as good as anything Francis Bacon has done. Objectively you might be right, but that's not going to get you your price.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:29 pm

Nick Brown wrote:There are differences between The Last Drop and Black Bowmore:

Black Bowmore is an OB of a well respected distillery.

Good point, but certain IB release very old whiskies which they do not disclose the identity of. They don't charge £1000 for them granted but the sums that they ask for are not insignificant.

Nick Brown wrote:Black Bowmore is a single malt.

Now thats just snobbery, why should blends be inferior to single malts?

Nick Brown wrote:Black Bowmore is a known brand that has fetched these levels in auction.

Who says the last drop won't achieve these levels in auction? Maybe its something of interest to your Hoovering friends or people who have more money than sense

Nick Brown wrote:Black Bowmore is well packaged.

To be honest its not particularly well packaged for a whisky costing £2000. While the packaging for certain Cognacs or high price Macallans may not to be to everyone's taste, they certainly have put some effort into their packaging.

Nick Brown wrote:Black Bowmore is able to make people think it was selected carefully from other Bowmore whiskies rather than just having been left lying around for a while.

Nothing a good marketing department can't fix! Plus they seem to have done a good job marketing to potential customers judging by the comment from their site - perhaps they are only targeting the people who can afford it?

Nick Brown wrote:I think these factors mean that Bowmore can charge what they do without being laughed off the pitch. The Last Drop, on the other hand, is just risible. It's a bit like painting a picture and charging a million for it because it is as good as anything Francis Bacon has done. Objectively you might be right, but that's not going to get you your price.

They might well have been getting their price for the Last Drop. So your saying that if you fulfill the criteria above you can charge anything you like for your goods without being laughed off the pitch? Well the last drop fulfils at least half the criteria above so it can surely charge half the price? In your opinion its fine for a respected company such as Bowmore to carry out balantant profiteering but when it comes to an smaller entity or individual its not ok?
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Well, in the case of being a single malt, there is a much firmer secondary market for single malts than for blends. That is bound to make a difference.

And if The Last Drop sells out at the price they are charging, then they've obviously picked the right price. I just don't see it happening. I think their sale of ten bottles smells fishy; their website looks amateur; their launch party looks embarrassingly cheap; and I've never heard of their tasting experts.

You raised the question of why Black Bowmore is pitched at the price it is and we don't find it astonishing - and yet we find the price point of The Last Drop comically high. I've tried to explain. If you think the price is fair then be my guest - buy as many as you like - I don't think many people will be standing in your way.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Of course I think the price is much too high for what it is. I just don't see how you can justify an astronomical price for one whisky but not another. You have made some interesting points but are they enough to condone what amounts to profiteering by Bowmore?
Gold Member

Postby tomjago » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:53 pm

It's good to see so much interest in our whisky. I imagine not many of the correspondents have tasted it. Have a look at Anthony Diaz Blue's comment, or Jim Kiley in Business Week. They have. We're proud of it.
Respectfully

Tom Jago. Director, The Last Drop Distillers Limited
tomjago

Postby Iain » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 pm

tomjago wrote:I imagine not many of the correspondents have tasted it. Have a look at Anthony Diaz Blue's comment, or Jim Kiley in Business Week. They have.

I genuinely don't mean to sound ignorant, but I have never heard of these gentlemen. Can you tell me and my fellow ignorante (surely I can't be the only one!) if there is some way of evaluating the independence, relevance and worth of Messrs Blue and Kiley's judgements or opinions on whiskies?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder