Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The last drop - the world has gone mad

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: The last drop - the world has gone mad

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 pm

tomjago wrote:It's good to see so much interest in our whisky. I imagine not many of the correspondents have tasted it. Have a look at Anthony Diaz Blue's comment, or Jim Kiley in Business Week. They have. We're proud of it.
Respectfully

Tom Jago. Director, The Last Drop Distillers Limited

Hi Tom. I'm just a nobody when it comes to the whisky world, and, as I said before, I hope your venture is a success. But lots of whiskys that cost £20 or £30 get excellent reviews.

Anyway, this whisky is not aimed at people like me. Maybe I'm just jealous.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Tom

First of all, welcome to our virtual pub.

I realise that people may not have heard of your tasters and I wish to help you.

I am quite well known on this forum and am happy to provide my opinion of your whisky to my fellow forumites.

All you need to do is send me a sample. I will not charge nor expect any compensation for my efforts.

Should you wish to take me up on my offer PM me for my address.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm

woodhill wrote:Tom

First of all, welcome to our virtual pub.

I realise that people may not have heard of your tasters and I wish to help you.

I am quite well known on this forum and am happy to provide my opinion of your whisky to my fellow forumites.

All you need to do is send me a sample. I will not charge nor expect any compensation for my efforts.

Should you wish to take me up on my offer PM me for my address.

No no Woodhill .. you area very busy person .. dont burden yourself with such harsh toils of trying a an 38yo whisky .. I ... the dog .. will take your palce and stand to the mark and try the whisky on behalf ...

PS ... I think what Nick Brown has said is spot on.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby DavidH » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 pm

I can supply a link to the Business Week article.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:30 pm

It surely is an excellent blend but in a time where price isn't really an indication anymore, the article sums it up quite well "If two grand is to the buyer what $200 might be to a more average-incomed connoisseur, then it may not be too much to pay."
I'll stick to all the $200 bottles of Single Malt I have yet to try :P
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:19 am

tomjago wrote: We're proud of it.
Respectfully

Tom Jago. Director, The Last Drop Distillers Limited

Good for you I'd imagine you'll have plenty of it to be proud of in years to come.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskey for sale » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Wow that is whiskey crazy!

Still hats off to them though!!
whiskey for sale

Postby woodhill » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 pm

whiskey for sale wrote:Wow that is whiskey crazy!

Still hats off to them though!!

...................................................................................?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:25 am

I saw a bottle of this at WL Glasgow today, and I have to say - credit where it's due - that it didn't look as badly packaged in the flesh as it does on the website. I was also told by a friend I respect that it tastes superb. Imagine my surprise, then, to see some Whisky Bibles delivered to WL which score this at 96.5. Again, I stand by the fact that I had never heard of the people providing tasting notes on the website. But now critics I have heard of are rating the whisky highly. I still think the price is optimistic for a blend, but I thought I ought to acknowledge a softening of my position.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:35 am

It may very well be a good whisky, but I doubt when the barrel was found in the warehouse, the owners said "Give us £1,000,000 and it's yours". I know it's a business, but the price is rediculous. Other whiskys score more than that that don't cost 1/10th of the price.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby matthew2512 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 am

I thought I would drag this old thread up again as I am going to a whisky tasting tonight that will feature the last drop. I will post notes afterwards.
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby matthew2512 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Well I went to the last drop tasting last night, the event itself was great but the whisky was a bit underwhelming.

Nose: the reviews are correct, this really does smell more like bourbon than a scottish blend. Quite sweet with lots or red fruits (cherries in particular) and toffee. Its very attractive but did not quite have the depth I was expecting.

Palate: Great mouthfeel, very rich and slightly dry. The same flavours from the nose continue on the palate.

Finish: Becomes very dry and oaky, medium length.

Comments: This is a pretty faultless blend, attractive nose, very nice mouth feel and a good finish. However, at the price being charged for a bottle it really failed to wow me. There was nothing particularly unique about this whisky, it is a good well aged blended whisky but $NZ2300 a bottle is a bit of a joke. I do not believe any bottles were sold after the tasting.
matthew2512
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder