Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Pillliwinx » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Hello all

I am "new" to whisky and am looking for tips on the ones to try.

I like the sound of the tastings etc and will try and give you my tuppence worth!
Pillliwinx

Postby Ryguy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Pillliwinx wrote:Hello all

I am "new" to whisky and am looking for tips on the ones to try.

I like the sound of the tastings etc and will try and give you my tuppence worth!

Welcome to the Forums Pillliwinx! It would be helpful for us to give you suggestions, based on what you have tried already, and what you like/don't like. Also be sure to check out the Live Tastings Forum, that's where you'll find the schedule for the Monthly Live Tastings. The next is Talisker on January 10th, even if you don't have any Talisker at home, feel free to pop in and check things out and say hello. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi all.

I am quite new to whiskey. I have had some exposure to single malts, so I have known that I like them. I am actually a craft beer drinker, and now I have a couple of bottles in a small collection, dominated by peat (namely, Islay). I don't know much else about other types of whiskey, but that is why I am here. I want to learn more.

Cheers!
bankerjoe

Postby Ryguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:06 pm

Welcome to the Forums bankerjoe! You've come to the right place, there are so many very knowledgable people around here. Enjoy your whisky adventure! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lucas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a student based in Edinburgh. I have been interested in whisky for a while now. Hope I can learn from you lot and share my own experience.

Sláinte :wink:
Lucas

Postby docschlock » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Well here is another newbie for you. As i said in my about me bit i have a lot of catching up to do, but i sure am enjoying it. I get the impression that everybody seems to be a bit negative towards collecting issue, but im quite happy to be doing so. Any way this is the first forum i have ever joined as until recently have been in the dial up stoneage. Down side of being a bus driver is you cant sample every night, but it gives you something to look forward to. :thumbsup:
docschlock

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 am

Welcome docschlock, Lucas and bankerjoe. Feel free to ask any questions as we enjoy sharing our passion. Also, the members aren't against collecting; it is more along the lines that a select group get worked up over some people coming in here trying to sell bottles at overly inflated prices.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Klas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi Bankerjoe, Lucas and Docschlock.
Most welcome to the forum!
I look forward to seeing you around.

/Klas
Klas
Silver Member

Postby normal5 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm

I guess it's time to introduce myself. I think that I've only been a member for about three weeks but I visit the site every day. I am totally hooked! I've been sucked into the world of Scotch whisky by my father-in-law who came to the US from a little town outside of Glasgow at the age of 15. In the past two years I have grow to appreciate the beauty in the beverage. I live near Tampa Florida with my wife and three dogs. I have to say the scotch is in no short supply down here with so many liqour store. I now have a new hobby which involves hunting scotch. I will often bring a pen and paper into the store and write down the names, ages, and prices of all the available whiskies and upon the return to my house, spend an entire evening researching and gaging the prospects of another Purchase. I have been averaging one bottle a week in purchases. While I do my nightly research I enjoy the fruits of my labor. Currently I am drinking Glenrothes select reserve and the 91, Glenmorangie Maderia, Balvenie DW, and Highland Park 12. I'd like my next purchase to be the Ardbeg 10 however I've found a Glenrothes 74 for $100 that I just can't pass up. Anyway I'm enjoying learning about everything scotch and would love to open a distillery (definately a pipe dream). I have also started a topic on the Glenrothes If anyone is interested. Thanks for the great forum.
normal5

Postby txcigarmadcap » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 am

Hello all,

Somewhat new to Single Malt Scotches. I know very little about them but am very interested in learning more. Currently, I am enjoying a Balvenie Doublewood and on special occassions I like Oban. I am a 20+ (pre boom) cigar fanatic. I am glad to be here and certainly welcome any knowledge available.

txcigarmadcap
txcigarmadcap

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:59 am

Welcome txcigarmadcap, I hope you enjoy your whisky journey.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby lpkchri1 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 am

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the site, I have been into whiskey for the last four years, but started getting "serious" (taking tasting notes, etc.) about a year ago. I have tasted around 70 whiskeys, primarily SMS. The selection in my area isn't the greatest, so I make sure to try out new things whenever I am traveling.

I have enjoyed reading the forums and have learned a lot, it has definitely helped me in describing the odor and tastes.
lpkchri1

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Let me take the time to say hello and welcome to normal5, txcigarmadcap and lpkchri1. :thumbsup: I look forward to all your questions and contributions to the forums.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Klas » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:46 am

Welcome to the forum Normal5, Txcigarmadcap and Lpkchri1!
:thumbsup:
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Danzer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 am

Well after more than a year lurking the board i think it is time to contribute a little more than just my mere pressence.

My name is Danny i'm 34 and am a whiskyholic. Well let's just say i like a nice dram from time to time. I've started drinking whisky years ago but since April of 2008 it started to get a bit more serious, since then i've discovered an area of Scotland previously unknown to me. Islay :D
To be honest i'm a collector/drinker. More the latter than the former and managed to get hold of 41 bottles in this perion and enjoy every sip.

Danny
Danzer

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 am

Welcome Danny, I hope you enjoy the journey. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 am

Cheers Danny,

Welcome from another new member. Look forward to your input.
dramtastic

Postby Danzer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 am

Many thanks Les and Dramtastic. And to the both of you many pleasant evening with your favorite dram. That the barrels may never dry out.
Danzer

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Welcome Danny. It is always a pleasure to have new and enthusiastic people join in the fray. By all means, ask questions, give us your views on the whiskies you are trying.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bianca007 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 am

hi guys!

i'm new here, and i just want to say "hi" to everyone!
maybe it seems a little bit uncommon for you that a woman loves whisky! ;)
but i fell in love with it when i tasted the whisky of my dad at the age of 21! :D
i'm glad to found this forum here! looking forward to interesting discussions about whisky ...
bianca007

Postby dramtastic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Bianca007and welcome,

Great to have another lady on the forum.

p.s Who is your favorite Bond?
dramtastic

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forums Bianca.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Welcome Danny, it's great that you've joined in after all that lurking :thumbsup:

And welcome Bianca, there are probably more girls here than you think :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Steffen787 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi, I'm Steffen! I just found your forum a few days ago, and am very new to Scotch, so be gentle with the newbie. :D I'm an Aerospace Engineering student who loves classical piano, airplanes, and is developing a taste for Scotch. I know basically nothing about Scotch yet. I tried The Glenlivet 12yo and enjoyed it, so I picked up a bottle of the 15yo French Oak Reserve on sale...just opened it and liked it as well. Any clues for something else in that basic budget range to pick up?
Oh, and I'm a 007 nut, too.
Steffen787

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Steffen! I have learnt a lot here in the year I have been a member and like me, your interest in whisky will probably grow more, so stick around and I'm sure you will enjoy it. What sort of classical piano are you into? I recently haven't been able to stop listening to Rach's Piano Concerto No 2.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Steffen787 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 am

kyorke1 wrote:Welcome to the forum Steffen! I have learnt a lot here in the year I have been a member and like me, your interest in whisky will probably grow more, so stick around and I'm sure you will enjoy it. What sort of classical piano are you into? I recently haven't been able to stop listening to Rach's Piano Concerto No 2.

What kind of classical piano am I into? Virtually everything...my favorite concerti are Beethoven's 3rd and 5th, Brahms' 2nd, and Rach 3...(though I do also like #2). As far as solo works, I'm a huge fan of the Bach English and French suites (I love playing the gigue from the 5th French suite), as well as (of course) the Beethoven sonatas. My favorite pieces to play have to be Chopin's nocturnes, though...Op. 55/1, among others. Back to whisky--I just went out and dropped a bit more cash than I really should have on a Laphroaig 10yo...wanted to broaden my horizons a bit...hopefully it will pan out well. Worst case, I'm sure my father won't mind helping with it.
Steffen787

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 am

Welcome Steffen, hope you enjoy the Laph 10, hope you are ready for some salt, peat, iodine, and some citrus.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:36 am

Hi Steffan and welcome to the forum.

Seeing you liked your Glenlivets maybe try Macallan 12, Cragganmore 12 or Glenmorangie The Original 10. If you find your not to fond of the Laphroaig 10 at the start, leave it for a while and come back to it, you'd be surprised how your your taste buds develop with time.

Happy draming!!
dramtastic

Postby Steffen787 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Well, the Laph was a bit much for me for the time being. :( I think I'm going to work my way through the Glenlivet French Reserve 15 some more before trying it again...hopefully I can "acclimate" my taste buds.
Steffen787

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Welcome to the Forums Steffen, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about your whisky adventure. :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby celticlegend » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Everybody,

I don't have a lot of time to post on the forums, but am certainly looking forward to grabbing the chance to read all your entries and if I know an answer, I will supply it. I have been loosely interested in whisky since 1971, the first time I visited Islay, at just 16 and it has grown through the years. I have visited over 70 distilleries in the last 3 years, many of them, many times, but I am a bit of a cheat, as I run distillery tours. People actually pay me to go (excuse me while I take some time for mad laughter, here :o).

Favourite visit is probably Bruichladdich, Best value tour is Aberlour, Prettiest place to work, Bunnahabhain, Nicest distillery folk - almost any Islay distillery, Nicest person in Whisky? Bruichladdich manager, Duncan McGillivray, an honour previously shared with the much missed Drew Sinclair of Dalmore, Best thing in the whisky industry? An old distillery being re-opened! Adbeg, Bruichladdich, Glendronnach, Glenglassaugh, the wonderful line carries on. Alternatively, a new one being buillt.. Come on Blackwood, give me another excuse to visit Shetland again.

Looking forward to talking with you all,

Willie Wallace
http://www.whisky-tours-scotland.com
celticlegend

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Welcome Willie/celticlegend. Always good to have some new blood around. Sounds like you have some good experience and can share some excellent insight. I look forward to reading your thoughts and questions on our beloved nectar.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby kyorke1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am

Hi All,

Firstly, a welcome to Willie - I hope you get out of the forum what I have.

Secondly, I am not sure that I properly introduced myself when I first arrived, so for my hundredth post here goes. I am Kieron, I have slowly gained an interest for whisky since the age of 16, an age where I didn’t like beer, could not be seen to be drinking alcopops nor could appreciate any liqueurs hence when out with friends I would resort to whisky – a chance to drink with mates and keep my dignity, be manly and be sophisticated at the same time.

I started on Jack Daniels and then moved on to Irish whisky, my boss got me interested further saying I should try single malt scotch, so I did for a while focusing on the Speyside region. Then my boss’s boss’s boss said I should try Islay, so I did and the rest is history.

I am currently living in Manchester as a software engineer, I like all sorts of music though mainly classical and classic rock. I 10 pin bowl with club, play guitar and like to road cycle. Most of my money goes on whisky these days, more so than food.

I have enjoyed being a part of the forums so far and learnt a huge amount that I could not have gained otherwise. Thanks to all. I look forward to more.

Kieron
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Deegee » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 pm

'suppose I'd better poke my head above the waters and say hello.

Why did I decide on drinking whisky? Absinthe is too expensive (for now) and not readily available in high street shops. Vodka has no taste, which isn't a complaint, but there's nothing really to discover when vodka's tasted. As for beer, inebriation happens far too quickly for times of reflection etc.

So far, I've emptied a bottle of Teachers, as well as a number of bottles of Jack Daniels in the past. Next purchase is looking like a bottle of Famous Grouse (1L for £16.09 in our local co-op).

So, again, hello all... I'll sit back and learn from the regulars who know what they're talking about. :)
Deegee

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Welcome Dave. Interesting way to get into whisky. Feel free to ask any questions. I'm sure the resident denizens can either answer your question or at least point you in the right direction.

Slainte.
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder