Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Michael Owen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

I would like to say thanks to all who wecomed me to the forum, and to apologise for not saying so before. I suffered an injury to my right hand two weeks ago, and have had difficulty in using The Mouse, although it has not prevented me in Taking My Medicine once a day as prescribed.
Regards Michael Owen
Michael Owen

Postby Ryguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Glad to have you back Michael! Enjoy your whisky adventure, and keep up on the daily 'medicine'....aka dram-a-day! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Michael Owen wrote:...I suffered an injury to my right hand two weeks ago, and have had difficulty in using The Mouse, although it has not prevented me in Taking My Medicine once a day as prescribed.
Regards Michael Owen

More misery for Newcastle so :wink:

Welcome M O :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 am

Welcome to the Forums Michael.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi all, I'm newly registered too but a long term reader - great forum btw.

I'm a 31 year auld Scotsman and I've been a consumer of whisky since I was teething! (You probably know what I mean, and I'd imagine that most other Scots on the forum will have had a similar start!) :D Anyway, my father and his father before him were traditional sign writers who undertook the liveries and corporate insignia at Allied Distillers Ltd in Dumbarton (now Allied Domecq). Our repertoire has included such prestigious brands as Teacher's, Stewart's Cream Of The Barley, Long John, The Black bottle, Ballantine's, Laphroaig, The Tormore, Glendronach, Miltonduff, as well as (ahem) beefeater Gin, Malibu and tia maria! :oops:

I've always been around whisky and the industry thanks to them, and It's been an education which has shaped my adult life no-end.

Suas leis an t-Uisge Beatha!

'S mise le meas,

Seoc.
Le Jock Sportif

Postby Paul1892 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:29 am

Hi I'm Paul,I've not been drinking whiskey for a few years now,but I've been thinking about getting back into for awhile now.So I bought a cheapo bottle of blended on Friday..and here I am on Monday on a Whiskey forum.I'll give anything ago Malts,Blends,Bourbons,Scottish, Irish er Welsh! anything I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences on here :D
Paul1892

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 am

Stephen, Carmelo, Rob, Steffen, Andrew, Michael, LJS and Paul...
Welcome to you all.

Cheers! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:41 am

Welcome Paul and Jock
dramtastic

Postby kyorke1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 am

dramtastic wrote:Welcome Paul and Jock

Ditto.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

kyorke1 wrote:
dramtastic wrote:Welcome Paul and Jock

Ditto.

Ditto ditto :D
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Tapadh leibh a' charaidean!

Ta!
Le Jock Sportif

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 pm

A big warm welcome to both Jock and Paul. Enjoy your journey.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:38 am

Welcome to Paul and Jock.. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Klas » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:01 am

Welcome Paul and Jock! :thumbsup:
Klas
Silver Member

Postby newdad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Hello:

I'm an almost complete scotch noob from western Pennsylvania. Most of my whisky drinking has consisted of bourbon or japanese whisky. Favorite bourbon: Knob Creek. Favorite Japanese whisky, god knows--I think Yoichi 12 but I can't speak the language and I've only had it in Tokyo. Currently open scotch: Glenmorangie Original, Highland Park 12, Grant's Family Reserve (blecch) and White Horse (decent, but grainy).

Look forward to participating here, and continuing to learn. Thanks for having me!
newdad

Postby Ganga » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:12 am

Welcome newdad! and congratulations? Feel free to ask questions. The worst that can happen is that no one knows the answer.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:14 am

Welcome newdad. Look forward to your contributions. Off to Japan in a few weeks so I'm keen to make some new whisky discoveries while I'm there.
dramtastic

Postby newdad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:40 am

Thanks for the kind welcome, folks. And thanks for the congrats, Ganga, our first daughter came last Tuesday.

I do have a million questions, but it's going to take a little while to get them into some sort of coherent order. These forums are really useful to a new guy.

As for the gent visiting Japan, if you need any tips on where to go to buy bottles or some cool shot bars in Ikebukero or Ginza, Tokyo, let me know and I'd be glad to help you out. Drinking has attained the status of an art form in Japan. I've been reading a lot of Nonjatta recently--possibly one of the coolest whisky blogs out there.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I look forward to participating where I can.

Paul
newdad

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:10 pm

newdad wrote:if you need any tips on where to go to buy bottles or some cool shot bars in Ikebukero or Ginza, Tokyo, let me know and I'd be glad to help you out.

:( (sigh) if you had only joined sooner you could have given me some advice. Then again it seems that bottles are cheaper to buy here in England at the moment anyway.

Welcome to the forums newdad and congratulations.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Klas » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 am

Welcome newdad and congratulations.
I hope to see you around the forum!
:thumbsup:
Klas
Silver Member

Postby vcruicky » Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi my name is Vera,

I am probably one of the few if not the only teetotal person on the forum. My husband is the malt whiskey drinker, I just liked collecting the miniatures when we travelled to the distillaries in Scotland. However, a few weeks ago, my husband took a bad fall (he has Parkinson's) through a cabinet, and the next day I sold all my 400 plus miniatures through the local autction house.

I have posted about selling a decanter, as 2 weeks ago our car engine blew up and we are in a rural community with no transport, and on a small pension. So the decanter has to go to help buy a car. So I was thinking a forum like this is the best place to sell an item where it will be appreciated. The Decanter is what I bough my husband when he was told he was in remission from cancer, so although hard to part with, our need for a car is more important.

I am hoping that the good and fine whiskey drinkers on this forum will know the quality of the decanter and help me sell it for its true value.

thanks for the opportuinty to introduce my self, and for those of who you whom imbibe enjoy your whiskey from the finest decanter that you can put a fine whiskey in.

VEra :D
vcruicky

Postby red » Thu May 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi my name is Richard,

I'm from Montreal, Canada, and after being a long fan of red wine, port and beer (local microbrew and european beers), I felt like trying something a bit different.

After buying a second bottle of single malt that I'm not enjoying at all I decide to look on forum as opposed to the book that gave me a suggestion I did not enjoyed :)

I already found lot of interesting treads and learn lot of things. For example I used a better glass last night a sharp wine glass, until I buy a glencairn tommorow, and the taste difference was HUGE compared to my normal glass. It also let me take smaller sip, use much less water (less that one tea spoon) and no ice which make it much more enjoyable.

My Glenfiddich 12 was tasting much better, yet my Isle of Jura was still pretty bad, and not really enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to learn to develop my taste and learn more about it!
red

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forums Richard.
Hope you enjoy the journey. What did you like about the Glenfiddich and what did you not enjoy about the Jura?

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Klas » Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Welcome Richard, I hope you will like it here and that we will see you around!
Klas
Silver Member

Postby red » Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Welcome to the forums Richard.
Hope you enjoy the journey. What did you like about the Glenfiddich and what did you not enjoy about the Jura?

Sean

For the Glenfiddich, on my dram yesterday found that there was a subtle taste of peat, an a bit of something else that I cant put my finger on. It give a nice warm feeling as I swalow it and it taste much less stronger that expected.

The Jura had a very strong nose which was feeling very bitter everytime I was getting close to it. I did not recognize anything on the taste because the smell was too strong and it was feeling like drinking cheap canadian whisky.

I'm hopping to have another dram tonight, as I read that I might find something I like as I try more.

What brought me to try whisky is that around 3 year ago, I went to a dinner in a fancy wine restaurent and a friend of mine had a fancy glass of old whisky that he couldnt finish and I got to finish it. It was very smooth and you could taste complex smokey taste.

I'm planning to buy a new bottle next week, but I'm unsure which one I want to try. From what I read here I was thinking of one of the following:
Lagavulin 16
Bruichladdich 10, 15 et 17 sampler
Glenfiddich Solera 15 (to experiment the difference)
The Glenlivet 15 or 18
or a Bowmore

The suggestion that I saw which were not available in Quebec were:
Laphroaig and Ardbeg
red

Postby Ganga » Thu May 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Welcom Red.

Lagavulin 16 - This will be a very interesting introduction to Islay. Islay whiskies are generally much more heavily peated than non-Islay whiskies. However, this one also has the element of adding in some sherry sweetness to the mix.

Bruichladdich 10, 15 et 17 sampler - Great if you can get a sampler set of these. :thumbsup: The 10 and XVII are long since gone from most shelves and you need to be careful as to which addition you are getting of the 15. The original 15 is not finished while subsequent editions are. You might consider a 12 if you can't get the other three.

Glenfiddich Solera 15 (to experiment the difference) - Surprisingly different from the 12 yo. Whereas the 12 yo has much more fruitiness in it you should find this one to be a little more spicey-cinnamon.

The Glenlivet 15 or 18 - Look for some interesting things in these two, especially the cocoanut.

Bowmore - A love it/hate it whisky, just ask Tattie. Younger Bowmores drift towards a smokiness mixed with heather/florals/lavendar and a bit of maltiness. Older Bowmores will tend to be quite different from young ones: loads of grapefruit and other citrus, light peppers, waxiness, maltiness. Mid range ones can go either way or some combination of the two.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby red » Fri May 08, 2009 3:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions, it's make my choice even harder.

For the Bruichladdic it's a box of 3X200ml samplers, and I found two at a liquor store close to my house.

What about Highland Park, is that consider as a good beginer whisky?

I read very good thing about it, however, I'm not too familiar with the sherry taste and a bit currious about it!
red

Postby pkt77242 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:46 am

Richard,

If I had to put them in order of my recomendation it would be:

1. Lagavulin 16
2. HP 12
3. Glenfiddich 15

The Laga for the smoke, peat and a touch of sherry. The HP has a nice honey and heather mix with a touch of smoke. The Fiddich to show you the difference that you can find in one distillery.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Scoty Utah » Wed May 13, 2009 11:54 pm

Hello fellow scotch lovers! My name is Scot and I'm fairly new to the world of scotch (1.5 years now) but am trying my hardest to try as much as possible within my budget.

I have to credit my Dad for getting me into scotch as I was primarily a beer drinker (home brewer!) and more into the clear liquors. I guess I was never much into brown liquor but the times they are a changin'. My Dad has an impressive collection built up over the years and the bottles he has stocked in his cabinet are well beyond my means at this time. Let's just say that visits to his house are turning into high end scotch tastings and I really look forward to birthdays and holidays more than ever. In any case, the occasional deliveries of "lava lamps" or "salad dressing" to my house here in Utah are always a treat. These go on the top shelf and come out only for special occasions.

I have started my own collection to add the big guns. When I travel back to the DC area for work I now make it point to stop by the Calvert Woodley liquor store to pick up a bottle (or three) when the prices are right. I've managed to find two places online that will ship to Utah (ssshhhhh) and of course there are liquor stores here that may be on par with normal prices but I'm not sure. Finally there are the trips across the border to Evanston, Wyoming for my monthly beer runs which now include a bottle of scotch.

You'll see by the collection so far that I have a taste for the Speysider/Highland malts but I'm starting to branch out now. Here's what I got:

Glen Garioch 21, Macallan 17, Macallan 18 Fine Oak, Glenfiddich 15, Glenlivet 15, Jura 16, Dalwhinnie 15, Glenrothes Select Reserve, Highland Park 12, Glenkinchie 12, Balvenie DW 12, Cragganmore 12 and Caol Isla 12.

Favorites? I'm honestly not certain. I love the differences in each. Glenfiddich 15 and Glenlivet 15 are definitely two of my "go to" scotches. Love the tastes of both and I can get these for great prices ($30 and $40). Highland Park is another fave as well and the state liquor store typically has it on sale for just under $40. CI 12 took a little getting used to. Something like a medicinal taste I don't know how else to describe.

I was recently in Vegas and tried Lagavulin 16. WOW!!! That is some amazing stuff and I will be hunting like mad to find a deal and/or saving a little more so I can have it in my collection soon. Another good one I tried was Oban 14. Going to add that one soon as well.

I've been cruising the forums the past day or so taking notes and driving myself mad with envy reading about some of the folks collections. Drooling is more like it. I really have to make concerted efforts to put little bits of cash aside just for a scotch fund. My main hobbies beyond this newest one are skiing and riding my motorcycle. I'm constantly wanting to add new shiny bits to the motorcycle and that's not cheap either. What to do? I'm gonna have a dram and think it over. Thanks for reading!
Scoty Utah

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am

Scoty Utah wrote:Hello fellow scotch lovers! My name is Scot and I'm fairly new to the world of scotch (1.5 years now) but am trying my hardest to try as much as possible within my budget.

I have to credit my Dad for getting me into scotch as I was primarily a beer drinker (home brewer!) and more into the clear liquors. I guess I was never much into brown liquor but the times they are a changin'. My Dad has an impressive collection built up over the years and the bottles he has stocked in his cabinet are well beyond my means at this time. Let's just say that visits to his house are turning into high end scotch tastings and I really look forward to birthdays and holidays more than ever. In any case, the occasional deliveries of "lava lamps" or "salad dressing" to my house here in Utah are always a treat. These go on the top shelf and come out only for special occasions.

I have started my own collection to add the big guns. When I travel back to the DC area for work I now make it point to stop by the Calvert Woodley liquor store to pick up a bottle (or three) when the prices are right. I've managed to find two places online that will ship to Utah (ssshhhhh) and of course there are liquor stores here that may be on par with normal prices but I'm not sure. Finally there are the trips across the border to Evanston, Wyoming for my monthly beer runs which now include a bottle of scotch.

You'll see by the collection so far that I have a taste for the Speysider/Highland malts but I'm starting to branch out now. Here's what I got:

Glen Garioch 21, Macallan 17, Macallan 18 Fine Oak, Glenfiddich 15, Glenlivet 15, Jura 16, Dalwhinnie 15, Glenrothes Select Reserve, Highland Park 12, Glenkinchie 12, Balvenie DW 12, Cragganmore 12 and Caol Isla 12.

Favorites? I'm honestly not certain. I love the differences in each. Glenfiddich 15 and Glenlivet 15 are definitely two of my "go to" scotches. Love the tastes of both and I can get these for great prices ($30 and $40). Highland Park is another fave as well and the state liquor store typically has it on sale for just under $40. CI 12 took a little getting used to. Something like a medicinal taste I don't know how else to describe.

I was recently in Vegas and tried Lagavulin 16. WOW!!! That is some amazing stuff and I will be hunting like mad to find a deal and/or saving a little more so I can have it in my collection soon. Another good one I tried was Oban 14. Going to add that one soon as well.

I've been cruising the forums the past day or so taking notes and driving myself mad with envy reading about some of the folks collections. Drooling is more like it. I really have to make concerted efforts to put little bits of cash aside just for a scotch fund. My main hobbies beyond this newest one are skiing and riding my motorcycle. I'm constantly wanting to add new shiny bits to the motorcycle and that's not cheap either. What to do? I'm gonna have a dram and think it over. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to the forums Scot. You seem to be off to a great start on your whisky journey get the Lagavulin as soon as you can.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Thu May 14, 2009 2:26 am

Welcome to the forum Scoty Utah!
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Scoty Utah » Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'm about to sit down to a bit of rye whiskey. Forgot to mention I like that stuff as well. A local distillery has made a fine batch called High West Rendezvous and it is top notch delicious!

One of my online places has the Laga for $71. I think I can swing that if it stays that way until next week! Is that a good deal from what you all have seen for Laga 16?
Scoty Utah

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:08 am

Scoty Utah wrote:One of my online places has the Laga for $71. I think I can swing that if it stays that way until next week! Is that a good deal from what you all have seen for Laga 16?

Scot, I would call it a reasonable price. I would say that it usually runs in the $65-$80 range (though I have seen it as high as $100) so it fits somewhere in the middle. I say buy it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby stravaigar » Sun May 17, 2009 11:37 am

Have been knocking around the highlands of Scotland for about 35 years climbing mountains and sleeping in bothies ( mountain huts ) where i have learned a good bit about whisky.
Just wanted to brush up a bit on my knowledge, not extensive, and came across this site so thought I would join in. Looks like fun.
stravaigar

Postby RobMillenaar » Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the website and new to the world of Scotch whisky. I entered this world after having consumed a couple of good bottles in the recent past, and after finally spending a bit of time on the subject. Read some books and got myself a small number of bottles. I seem to be hooked now...
There is so much to be discovered in these wonderful single malts and the stories behind the distilleries and the people there.
I will be mainly looking for reviews and tastings for a while.
I'm a Dutchman who travels to Manchester quite regularly, occasionally picking up a bottle at the airport, which seems to have the best collection in town (anyone knows whether this is true?).

Rob
RobMillenaar

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder