Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Welcome Johan! I certainly look forward to seeing more from you. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Johan! I certainly look forward to seeing more from you. :D

Thanks! :D Well, I've been busy already.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:08 pm

johan brugge wrote:Hey, I'm a new member since today. I live in Bruges (Belgium) and for many years now I drink/collect whisky. I certainly won't be a silent still! Promise.

Johan

Welcome to the party Johan
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am

Welcome Johan
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:41 am

johan brugge wrote:Hey, I'm a new member since today. I live in Bruges (Belgium) and for many years now I drink/collect whisky. I certainly won't be a silent still! Promise.

Johan

Welcome Johan. Nice posts so far. :thumbsup:

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Daryl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Newbie here, from Texas :D I'm not very knowledgable about whisky, but know that I like it lol. On a more serious note, I lost almost everything I had to hurricane Ike last year. Long story short, I bought a bottle of whisky to open when I finally got into a new home, which I now have. It's Glennlivet, aged 12 years, single malt. I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:
Daryl

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Daryl wrote:Newbie here, from Texas :D I'm not very knowledgable about whisky, but know that I like it lol. On a more serious note, I lost almost everything I had to hurricane Ike last year. Long story short, I bought a bottle of whisky to open when I finally got into a new home, which I now have. It's Glennlivet, aged 12 years, single malt. I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Daryl. It's a nice whisky to start with.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 am

Welcome Daryl
The Glenlivet 12 is a great whiskey. Sorry to hear about your home, but welcome to the forum, and if you read it consistently, you'll learn more than you probably ever wanted to know, rather quickly.
AdamMY

Postby Holysinner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 am

Welcome Daryl. You'll find several other Texans around here, good to have you on board!
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:45 am

Welcome Daryl and Johan. There are plenty of people new to the world of whisky here, so join in the fun.
dramtastic

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:06 am

Hello everybody, I've been a member for a few months now and thought its about time I said hello. I'm the wrong side of 50, married to Maz, have 3 great kids all grown up, 1 grandson, 1 granddaughter on the way and a pension aged dog called Sam, but he's not into whisky!
I live in Selby North Yorkshire, not far from York. I'm a truck driver by profession, but, like many other truckers at the moment, am out of work.
I've only been into whiskey for under a year, but I've tried a few even on my meagre income. A freind started me off by giving me a dram of Dalmore 15yo and after that I fell in love with the stuff. Not keen on any other spirit but I like a nice port or a sherry. My other love is real ale.
Maz and I love to go into York for an afternoon/early evening and search out all the different old pubs and bars. We have our favourites and theres quite a few with a good selection of single malts behind the bar. I recommend anybody to go to York within the city walls and do what we do. My bottles bought/drunk so far; Glen Moray no age, Dalwhinnie 15yo, Highland Park 12yo, BenRiach 12yo, Aberlour 10yo, Balvenie DW 12yo and Glenlivet 18yo. I can make a bottle last a lomg time, I have to!
Anyway, I've gone on long enough but hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.
jed52

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:42 am

Well...welcome, jed52!

Keep on posting!

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm

jed52 wrote:hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.

Welcome!

As you are in York, are you planning to go to The 7th York Whisky Festival at The Guildhall on Saturday September 19th 2009 then?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Welcome to the forum jed52!
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:21 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
jed52 wrote:hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.

Welcome!

As you are in York, are you planning to go to The 7th York Whisky Festival at The Guildhall on Saturday September 19th 2009 then?

Hello ClubSmed. Didn't know about it, but I do now!
I'd like to go, yes, lets hope my job situation picks up by then. Never been to a whisky festival, if they are anything like beer festivals they will be good events to go to.
Might see you there, if you're going yourself!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. jed
jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:Well...welcome, jed52!

Keep on posting!

:thumbsup:

So I didn't bore you with that long intro, Liechtenstein, or are you a glutton for punishment?
jed
jed52

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Welcome Jed. If you decide to start looking for some interesting whiskies to try, consider perusing through the Live Tastings section. Also, you will find some good notes in the "What are you drinking now" and "What did you drink last night" threads (see Whisky Chat).

And fire away with any questions you have!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 pm

johan brugge wrote:Welcome to the forum jed52!

Hello johan brugge, thanks for the welcome.
I just checked out your collection via the link. Very impressive. You're obviously a big Lagavulin fan. I've yet to sample any, but I intend to do it soon. Cheers.
jed
jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Jed. If you decide to start looking for some interesting whiskies to try, consider perusing through the Live Tastings section. Also, you will find some good notes in the "What are you drinking now" and "What did you drink last night" threads (see Whisky Chat).

And fire away with any questions you have!

Many thanks Ganga. I do keep checking all the different sections and find them all interesting, but I'm just a novice at the moment and struggle to get my palate around some of the many different flavours and, indeed, my nose around the many different aromas, but I'm sure I'll get there with a little help. I keep refering to my whisky guru, the late Michael Jackson. he has been my guide to all things single malt and beers worldwide. His books are a guiding light. It's a pity there won't be any more books from him.
Sorry, i've rambled on enough.
Thanks again. jed
jed52

Postby kyorke1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Welcome to the forums Jed52. I hope you have fun here.

Any Ales you can recommend? Im impressed with Copper Dragon particually the Scotts 1816, probably the best Ale Ive tried so far as I can remember.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby jed52 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:05 am

kyorke1 wrote:Welcome to the forums Jed52. I hope you have fun here.

Any Ales you can recommend? Im impressed with Copper Dragon particually the Scotts 1816, probably the best Ale Ive tried so far as I can remember.

Hello kyorke1. Yes, I could recommend a few. It depends on what style you like yourself. For instance, do you like stouts, or pale ale, or bitters, or are you willing, like myself, to try anything? What have you tried allready?
I've had Copper Dragon myself straight from the barrel, very nice beer.
Have you tried all the usual supermarket stuff. I know ranges vary from area to area, so forgive me if I mention something that is obvious.
Have you tried these bottled ales;

McEwans Champion. 7.3% Very heavy, but warming in winter.

J.W.Lees Harvest Ale. 11.5% Quite sweet. Can be layed down like a good wine. Good for about 15 or 20 years.

Brains. S.A.Gold. 4.7%. Citrusy aroma. Very smooth.

Felinfoel. Double Dragon. 4.2%? This is probably my favourite ale from Wales, but unfortunately I haven't found it in Yorkshire yet.

Theakstons Old Peculiar. 5.6%. You must have tried this beer. This is my personal favourite and is available just about everywhere.

Greene King. Strong Suffolk. 6.0%. Lovely smooth beer and easy to drink, considering the strength.

Have you tried some of the European brews, (we would probably call them largers, but it's all beer to me) such as Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay,Orval and Trappistes Rochefort? All Belgian brews. What about some lambic beers, some can be very fruity, but quite potent also.

Another favourite of mine is a German brew, Erdinger Weissbier, about 6.6% I think. Cloudy beer, but very refreshing when chilled.

Sorry, kyorke1, I've gone on long enough and you've probably had most of those anyway, I hope I havn't bored you with my recommendations.
jed
jed52

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Jed, I'm a bit like yourself, willing to try anything but tend to steer towards different styles depending on mood. I have gone through a few supermarket bottles that you mention, the Greene King brands I find to be enjoyable especially Old Speckled Hen, Abbot etc. I haven't tried the Strong Suffolk Vintage that will probably be one of my next purchases. I drink quite a lot of local beer typically anything from the Warwickshire Beer Co. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so anything fruity or honeyed with a woody finish is ideal.

I have rarely gone abroad save the big brands like Erdinger which I can't remember being all that impressed with, perhaps being a wheat number. I will have to try some more Belgian next I think; I'm always impressed with theirs.

Don't apologise Jed, there's a good few names in there for me to research and no you haven't bored me. Thanks for the info.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Have you tried some of the European brews, (we would probably call them largers, but it's all beer to me) such as Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay,Orval and Trappistes Rochefort? All Belgian brews. What about some lambic beers, some can be very fruity, but quite potent also.

Aha, it's always nice to hear our beers are popular. Nice choices Jed52! Just drink them slowly.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby ken3211 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 am

Hello fellas! Im new to the forums but love sippin whisky like the rest of ya! My current open bottles are van winkle lot b, and Evan williams single barrel :) Im also open to sugestions. Oh im also a chess lover, model ship lover, and watch lover. Hope to meet some new friends, and try new whiskies!
ken3211

Postby Islaylee79 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently stumbled upon this wonderful website and relative whiskey forums and am very impressed with all the chat and banter....I am a 30 year old irish man (From Co. Monaghan) living in Edinburgh, Scotland. I moved over here in 1999 to study and haven't left!

Because of my professional (Civil Engineer) I have been able to travel all over the UK but mainly Scotland. My introdcution to malt and specifialy Islay malt started a couple of years ago whilst working at Islay airport. The people on Islay are fierce friendly and when I mentioned that I was fond of the odd dram or two the chaps at the airport made a few phone calls and got me on a personnel whiskey tour of Laphraoig Distillery......this was back before the new visitors centre was open...... I loved it and loved the malt even more......since then I've been back at least once a year and usually stay with Friendly Grumpy Graham over at the Port Charlotte Hotel (lovely place and a savage selection of malt behind the counter!).....I've been lucky enough as well to befriend Mary over at Bruichladdich and even helped close the distillery one Saturday......(I did buy a Valinch and one of the 16 series though)!......

I am trying to be a bit more open minded with my whiskeys but always end up coming back to Islay.....I suppose there is something about the place......also the last time I was their (April 2009) I found out I was going to be a father for the first time!!.....if the misses and me have a baby girl we are going to call her Islay (thats if i'm allowed!!) :thumbsup:

looking forward to the whiskey chat
Bye,
Lee
Islaylee79

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Islaylee79 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have recently stumbled upon this wonderful website and relative whiskey forums and am very impressed with all the chat and banter....I am a 30 year old irish man (From Co. Monaghan) living in Edinburgh, Scotland. I moved over here in 1999 to study and haven't left!

Because of my professional (Civil Engineer) I have been able to travel all over the UK but mainly Scotland. My introdcution to malt and specifialy Islay malt started a couple of years ago whilst working at Islay airport. The people on Islay are fierce friendly and when I mentioned that I was fond of the odd dram or two the chaps at the airport made a few phone calls and got me on a personnel whiskey tour of Laphraoig Distillery......this was back before the new visitors centre was open...... I loved it and loved the malt even more......since then I've been back at least once a year and usually stay with Friendly Grumpy Graham over at the Port Charlotte Hotel (lovely place and a savage selection of malt behind the counter!).....I've been lucky enough as well to befriend Mary over at Bruichladdich and even helped close the distillery one Saturday......(I did buy a Valinch and one of the 16 series though)!......

I am trying to be a bit more open minded with my whiskeys but always end up coming back to Islay.....I suppose there is something about the place......also the last time I was their (April 2009) I found out I was going to be a father for the first time!!.....if the misses and me have a baby girl we are going to call her Islay (thats if i'm allowed!!) :thumbsup:

looking forward to the whiskey chat
Bye,
Lee

Welcome Ken and Islaylee. Seems like you've been making the right friends at the right places Islaylee. You lucky sod!
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum Ken & Lee!
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:36 am

Welcome Ken and IslayLee. Good to have new blood to share the experience.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am

G'day to Ken and Islaylee nice to have you on the forum.
dramtastic

Postby Jonpol » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:31 am

As my alias implies my name is Jonpol. I hail from the blistering heat, the hot side of the sun. I call Arizona my home, a native.

I prefer good scotch and beer to most anything.

I manage a liquor dept in an upscale grocery store chain out here. I get to try a lot of different expressions of everything.

No mothballs here. I'm usually active in all I do except for church. My beautiful wife would prefer the opposite.

My biggest stress in life is trying to decide what to drink on any given night. :P

I prefer Islay although I have not developed a taste for Laphroig. Not sure if I ever will.

I have long hair. I can be crass. I purposely talk like a hillbilly to entertain myself a few times a day. I clean up good. Some people think I have class but my friends know I'm a caveman who stumbled into the wine and liquor business. I have friends from all walks of life. I enjoy my life, my wife, and raising my kids. I'm the guy everyone asks..."why are you in such a good mood"....I tell them I was born this way :smoke:

Ciao
Jonpol

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 am

Well bring it on then Jonpol, welcome and I look forward to your posts.
dramtastic

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Welcome Jonpol. I look forward to hearing more from you, especially as you may find out about things coming to the southwest US. (LA boy here)

FYI, there are a couple of fellow Arizonans on here located in the general Phoenix area.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Welcome Jonpol, Ken and IslayLee.

I would be one of the Arizonians that Ganga was talking about. Do you by any chance ever attend any of Sportsman's tastings?

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Jonpol » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:34 am

I prefer trade tastings so I can sample the wine, beer, and whisky all in one visit. With a family of teenagers most of my off time is already spoken for. I did however miss the most recent BenRiach/ Springbank tasting. That was a hard one to miss. Theres a Signatory event coming soon. I may be able to make that one.
Jonpol

Postby Jonpol » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 am

As for new items Talisker 25yr, 30yr, and 175th Anniversary recently hit. Port Ellen 8th Edition 29yr Cask Strength, Brora 25yr Cask Strength and Laphroaig 15yr just landed in small amounts. Oban D.E. hit a few months ago and the 18yr hit two weeks ago.

I hear Laphroaig 25yr is coming. And still no word on Talisker 18, been a while since we had some and it goes fast.
Jonpol

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder