Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:29 am

Welcome to BigPapi and enjoy the forum.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:30 am

Welcome to Farcle, do you by any chance have anoher family member called Glen? :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby BigPapi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 am

A big Hi and Thank You to everyone for making me feel welcome.
BigPapi

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 am

Oops!

I started posting on other threads before I introduced myself...pardon me!

I've been a whisky drinker since my early 20s - I am now 51. One of the advantages of getting older is the ability to afford good whisky. (This may be the only advantage...) So, I can't wait to be in my 90s !

The way I drink is to have a basic whisky (Crown Royal) for everyday use - for mixing drinks and to offer to guests - and to treat myself to fine whisky on the weekends.

My wife and I travel to Europe every year on home exchanges. In the summer of 2008 we were in Almere, Netherlands. I saw some Japanese whiskies there but the crazy prices (upwards of 70 euros per bottle) made me keep my money for the really good stuff from Scotland.

With any luck, we'll eventually visit Scotland. (My wife will be the Designated Driver for the whole duration of a trip to Scotland... )

:thumbsup:
Roger
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 am

Welcome to the Forums Roger (Liechtenstein)! I look foward to your posts, and I'm glad to see another member from my general area around here!! :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:20 am

Welcome Roger/Lichtenstein. Nice introduction. Hopefully we will provide you some useful information and occasionally entertain you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:18 am

Welcome to the forum Roger.
Deactivated Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome! :D
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:56 pm

And a warm(actually it's cold now) welcome from The Netherlands, Roger Liechtenstein. Enjoy your stay here. :)

Rene
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Rob B » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:01 am

Well,

I thought there would be no harm in saying a belated hello even though I joined in January.

My home is in County Down and I enjoy fantastic views of the Mournes. This is both a blessing and a bane in that we get both the view and the weather. My interests include reading, golf and my beloved Hi-fi.

I am a very recent convert to malt whisky but I quicky discovered a taste for Talisker and Laphroaig. In the last two years I have been slowly broadening my horizons and have added a few malts from the Highlands and the Islands to my stack of empties.

So its good to be here, and a hearty "slàinte" to all.

Kind regards

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Welcome to the Forums Rob B! Nice to have another member from Ireland around the Forums.

Keep in mind we are hosting a Live Irish Whisky Tastings here on the Forums (in the Live Tastings section) on November 15th, if you'd like to join in.

Cheers! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 pm

A thus belated welcome to Rob B. It's nice to read your posts, Rob, so please go on :thumbsup:

Rene
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:27 pm

Welcome Rob B. As ryguy noted, there is an Irish tasting coming up in a week+. There is also a Springbank tasting scheduled for the end of the month and Lagavulin looks to be the choice for December.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Rob B » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I would have liked to join in on the tasting on the 15th but I am already committed to a social event with SWMBO. I do intend however to join in on other tastings as and when I am able to help expand my currently very limited appreciation of malts. I figure that there is only one way be become more educated, and that is to get involved.

Kind regards

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Woodhill this thread is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:
A warm welcome to all new forum members :)
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 am

Hi Rob and welcome from me too.
Deactivated Member

Postby sspolv » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:41 am

Hey folks,
The name's Scott and I am quite new to the whisky world. I've been enjoying the occasional glass of scotch/bourbon with my father over the past few years and have decided to take the leap (now that I'm finally turning 21) into the wonderful world of whisky. The solidifying event was none other than a stroke of blind luck last summer. While taking a much needed trip throughout Britain, Ireland, and Scotland, I was able to attend a Cadenhead's Whisky Tasting in Edinburgh (this one, to be exact: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8836). It was a night I definitely won't forget.

Thanks for (hopefully) having me,
Scott
sspolv

Postby Ryguy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Welcome to the Forums Scott! Enjoy your whisky adventure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:53 am

Welcome to the Forums Scott. Look forward to seeing your input and questions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby JTW » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Hello all, I'm Ian and new around here (except for occasional lurking around the site looking at tasting notes and tracking down supermarket bargains!)
Though it was about time I joined. I've been drinking whisky on and off for over 30 years, so no spring chicken though I am by no means a connoisseur. Used to drink mainly speyside malts if I was drinking whisky.
Recently drinking more whisky (oh dear!) and my taste has moved more towards Islay malts especially Ardbeg. Although some of the supermarket own label bottlings seem very good, enjoying Tesco's at the moment (any ideas on what it is btw?)

Ian
JTW

Postby Ryguy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Welcome to the Forums Ian!! You like Ardbeg, well, you'll fit right in around here!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and reading your notes. Enjoy!!
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Welcome to the Forums Ian!! You like Ardbeg, well, you'll fit right in around here!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and reading your notes. Enjoy!!

I don't like ardbeg :o

I'm sorry LSD. I didn't mean to imply that everyone liked Ardbeg. 8)
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Welcom Ian. As ryguy has said, you should find a nice little niche for yourself here. :thumbsup:

LSD, we're not implying that you don't fit here either. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby xcaper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:19 am

Hello all,

This is my first post so I guess this is the best place to put it.

I've been lurking around here for some time now and have been meaning to sign up but just haven't gotten around to it...until now.

I was born and raised in Cape Breton (am I aloud to say Breton here :wink: ?) and now live in Ontario.

I've only been drinking (tasting) whisky for about 2 years now, excluding Canadian Club and Ginger ale, so I'm still very much a rookie. I've gone through a number of bottles over those 2 years and so far have shown a preference towards Islay whiskies with the odd Talisker or Highland Park thrown in for good measure. Not sure what it is...if it's the peat, smoke or pungency of some of these whiskies that I like but there does seem to be a pattern here.

Well it's been fun so far and I hope that joining this site will only add to the enjoyment of my whisky experience.

Brad (xcaper)
xcaper

Postby Ryguy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Welcome to the Forums Brad! Enjoy your adventure down the road of whisky, and all of the wonderful things it has to offer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Welcome Brad. Enjoy your whisky adventure.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey all, just found this forum and figured it'd be fun to sign up. I'm an American living in BC, the capital of overtaxed scotch! I'm in the process of waiting for all my legal status to be finalized with Canada, so really, all I have to do is drink a couple drams in the evening...although the budget is tight these days.

My favorite whiskies include Ardbeg 10 Year Old, BenRiach's Curiostas, most anything made by Balvenie...but I'm definitely not limited to these. My favorite bourbon is George T. Stagg.

My favorite scotch highlight was getting a chance to visit the Bladnoch distillery last year. Beautiful little place with a great staff and two very cute kittens to keep the bad mice away.

Anyhow, looking foward to reading and chatting about the world of whisky.

I'll be touring the states soon. I do roadcrew once in awhile for a Vancouver band whose members all love whisky, so we spend most nights after the show sitting around in a hotel room with our little whisky glasses trying new purchases. Some bands have groupies, but we have tasting notes. Anyhow, I'll be looking foward to picking up some good stuff along the way at nice cheap US prices.
kwellada

Postby Ryguy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Welcome to the Forums kwellada! Looking foward to hearing about your travels, and your 'Whisky' tour around the US!!! Enjoy the Forums! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forums, Kwellada. :D

If you ever make it down to LA, let me know. I'm certain we can drum up something new and interesting for the band.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome to the forums, Kwellada. :D

If you ever make it down to LA, let me know. I'm certain we can drum up something new and interesting for the band.

The band is playing in Los Angeles on Dec. 5th. Any great liquor stores to seek out? I think the club is in Hollywood on Sunset.
kwellada

Postby morlic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:42 am

Hi everyone. My name is Marko, I'm 32, and I joined the forums about a week ago and have posted twice already and will do so again soon. I am a native New Yorker and about a month ago quit my job and drove across the USA with my wife in order to relocate to sunny San Diego, California. (My wife's family is out here.) I made sure to drive through Kentucky and make some time to go on the Buffalo Trace Distillery tour. posting.php?mode=smilies&f=12#

I have been drinking whiskey for about 8 years or so, but only here-and-there. A free Johnnie Walker Black tasting in NYC about 8 years ago turned me on to whiskey and helped me understand the various smells and tastes, but I am fairly new to drinking Scotch and Bourbon on a regular basis. In the past year or so I have caught the "bug" to try more whiskey, collect it and understand it better. (I have been drinking Blanton's, Dewar's Special Reserve 12, Four Roses Small Batch and Pappy Van Winkle 15 this past year, with a little JW Blue and Glen Livet 21 thrown in as a treat to myself now and then.)

A friend of mine got me into bourbon this past year and I quickly purchased about 15 bottles of various whiskies (Pappy Van Winkle 15, Stagg (2007), Blanton's, Four Roses Small Batch, Baker's, JW Blue, JW Swing, to name a few), but have had JW Black and a Glen Livet Archive 21 my wife bought me as a Christmas gift. So, I have had quite a few whiskies for a newbie, but I want to understand the varieties of whiskies better and learn to better define the flavors and tastes. Single Malts is my newest foray, as it always seemed to be the most inaccessible for me to understand. Also, I do enjoy a good cognac and I enjoy the Kelt VSOP and Courvoisier XO.

I know that was a lot of information, but that is just a reflection of how excited I am to be here amongst all of you knowledgable folks. I look forward to "chatting" with you all, maybe one day in person. Cheers!

Best regards,
Marko
Username: morlic
morlic

Postby Ryguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Welcome to the Forums Marko! I look forward to your posts, and hearing your thoughts on various bourbons and other whiskies as well. I've been enjoying single malts for quite some time now, but bourbon is a new thing for me. Enjoy your time around the Forums, it really can be a fun place! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 pm

A warm welcome to this forum, Marko. Hope you enjoy your stay here :)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:24 am

kwellada wrote:
Ganga wrote:Welcome to the forums, Kwellada. :D

The band is playing in Los Angeles on Dec. 5th. Any great liquor stores to seek out? I think the club is in Hollywood on Sunset.

How much can you carry home? :P If you have the means to go over the hill, you should check out Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys.

A little more expensive but closer to Hollywood is K&L Wines.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:26 am

I forgot to welcome Marko/Morlic. Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder