Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby IronDawg » Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Cheers folks. Which is the best forum to go for discussions of peoples opinions on whiskies and distilleries? I don't want to post on the wrong one. Thanks.
IronDawg

Postby IronDawg » Wed May 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Ganga, yeah I'm a scottish whisky drinker primarily and Islay in particular. Ardbeg Uigadail is my current favourite though I am a real fan of Bowmore 21. What about you? I shall be drinking a lot more of it soon once the Hammers are relegated!
IronDawg

Postby beetler » Sat May 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi there
I'm new on here, and would like to ask if anyone knows about the Speyside 21 year old (Drumguish . Scotland) 75cl 43%vol, its in a small dumpy bottle.
beetler

Postby malthound » Mon May 16, 2011 10:16 am

Hi,

My name is Gary and I run the website malthound.co.uk which is a malt blog and price comparison site.

My favourite malts tend to be the 'peaty' ones including the Islay malts (Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain) as well as Highland Park.

But I also love Dalwhinnie and The Glenlivet.

I'm really looking forward to sharing a 'virtual' dram with everyone on the forum.

Sláinte!

Regards,
Gary
malthound

Postby malthound » Mon May 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks Ganga!
malthound

Postby dramtastic » Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Welcome to the WM forums beetler and malthound.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Richard from Amsterdam

Postby Blackmoresknight » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:28 am

Hi, Richard here. I'm an Englishman living in Amsterdam. I have been a whisky enthousiast for the past 10 years and have fallen in love with Port Ellen (the whisky). I try to nose my way through as many tastings as possible to discover new and exciting bottles to add to my (very modest) collection.

I was the proud owner of a bottle of 21 year old Bushmills and whilst looking on the internet, for a new one, I came across the Make it 2 Bushmills contest and entered. I made it to the finals for the Netherlands. The next stage of the contest is to get as many votes on facebook as possible. On my quest to find votes I have come across many great sites and forums and joined quite a few!

I created a thread if anyone wants to help out and vote: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13942

Hope to see lots of tips, tricks and great whisky's in the near future.

Richard
Blackmoresknight

Postby dramtastic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 am

Welcome Blackmoreknight
dramtastic

Postby malthound » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Blackmoreknight!
malthound

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am

Not a new member, but one that is back after after some time away. Life in Tacoma Washington- I have been here for thee years. Been a single malt fan for about 8 years now. Now down to 5 single malts that I have not tried, depending on how one counts, and of course, new ones are nearly hitting the three year soon.

Here are the ones I have yet to sample.
Ben Wyvis
Kinclaith
Ladyburn
Kinivie (Hazelwood)
Kilkerran/Glenyle

Recently tried Glen Flagler in Vancouver- a treat indeed. Look forward to more regular contact...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:28 am

Thank you kindly- feels good to be back in the thick of the whisky thang..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 am

Rich: I am so pleased to see you back in the swing of things! I've been wandering in and out from time to time looking to see what's being commented on. Now, I'll be much more inclined to log in and enjoy the knowledge you share so well.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby snozzlecat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

My name's Sarah and I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me some info about a whisky that I have. It's called Lass O'Gowrie - Blended Scotch Whisky which I believe may be about 50 years old and is unopened.

The bottle says "blended and bottled by Rigby & Evens Ltd - Established 1796 Liverpool and Bristol - Product of Scotland". It says it was distilled in Scotland but I think it may have been exported and re-imported back into the UK from Buenos Aires. The bottom of the label says:
"Importado por la - S.A. importadora y exportadora de la Patagonia. Avda. Pte. Roque Saenz Pena 547 - Buenos Aires"

I would really like to try and find out how old this whisky actually is and possibly any other historical information about it. I've contacted various places but nobody can tell me anything about it. Hopefully someone on here might be able to help and thanks in advance.
snozzlecat

Postby snozzlecat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Many thanks, I'll do that. Hopefully someone's heard of it...
snozzlecat

Postby eol » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 am

Hello all - I've been shadowing this site for years and have appreciated all of the knowledge and expertise. I've quietly been involved with with whisk(e)y for years and may bring some insight to the conversation.
eol

Postby Wi3rdo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am

Hi. I'm Dan. After years of drinking jack Daniels and coke with ice in the last few years as I hit my mid 30s I found my tastes changing to the point where I started to enjoy neat scotch. I was round a neighbours house and mentioned I like John is walker black and he said 'have you tried any single malts?' turns out he's a single malt fanatic. He gave me a glass of lagavulin 16yo and it was like the doors of perception opening! It's still so far my favourite single malt although initially I went and brought a bottle and wasn't sure about it (it's probably not the best single malt to start out with). At my neighbours suggestion I tried a few others Bunnahabhain, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie etc to develop my tastes. I then went back to the Lagavulin 6 months later and loved it. I liked Talisker 10 and of the Islays I've tried Caol Ila 12 and Ardbeg oogie. The only Islay I've been a bit disappointed with is Laphroiag 10 which seemed to me like a lot of smoke but not a lot else.

On my wish list for future purchases is:
Ardbeg 10, Laga 12 and DE, Talisker 18, Oban 14 and Aberlour A'bundah (I know that's not the correct spelling!).
Wi3rdo

Postby grumpy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi my name is Gus, better known as Grumpy to my wife and family...I'm 53 from New York "The Big Apple" and transplanted to Miami Florida since 1981. I have been enjoying Whisky for the past 30 years, and graduated to the single malts for the past 10 years. I still enjoy some of the fine blends, but my favorites are the malts. :D I enjoy the sundry expressions of The Dalmore, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, The Macallan, and Cardhu. I am happy to be here with this fine bunch. 8)
grumpy

Postby grumpy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 am

Thank you for the warm greeting pkt77242...
grumpy

Postby AdamMY » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 am

Welcome Grumpy, hope to see you around the forum.
AdamMY

Postby neshurag » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 am

Hi all , this is Naresh , i am working for radicokhaitan (india) as assitant vice president operations, i am very much delighted to join this forum. Please do let me know in case i can help any one of you guys... i am very much found of new whiskies and belive in innovations...
Cheers
Naresh
:thumbsup:
neshurag

Postby labm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello. My name is Nick. I started drinking scotch whisky about 4 months ago. So far I've had:

Glenlivet 12 (first bottle purchased)
Glenlivet 15 (was given an opened bottle that was mostly full by a family member)
Macallan 10 (a few glasses at different bars)
Laphroaig 10 (most recent bottle finished)
Finlaggan Old Reserve (most recent bottle purchased)

I'm looking forward to trying many different kinds of scotch and I am open to suggestions and advice on which brands and/or regions are worth trying to help expand my palate and knowledge.
labm

Postby JMW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a 25 year old graphic designer from Inverness, Scotland (home of three sadly deceased distilleries of varied repute)

I've been interested in whisky for a few years now - my favourite drams so far being Glenfarclas 10yo, Black Bull 12yo, A'Bunadh, Octave Cameronbridge 1979 and Glen Ord 12yo.

As well as the spirit i'm equally fascinated by the history - i'm currently researching the history of the three former distilleries of Aberdeen, namely Devanha, Bon Accord and Strathdee. If anyone has any information relating to these then i'd be very grateful.

Hope to see you all around soon. Cheers!
JMW

Postby RangerRob » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am

hey all, Rob here From upstate New York. Kinda new to the whole whiskey thing. I was introduced to it while ice climbing with friends. My buddy gave me a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood and I was hooked. My wife and I recently did a trip to Ireland and I visited a few pubs on the official Ireland Whiskey Trail. I fell in love with the Connemare 12, the Greenore 8, and the Midleton Very rare. We brought home a bottle of each. As far as Scotch, Laphroaig 10 is my standard lately, along with the old trusty Doulblewood. Just recently had a 40th birthday bash, and friends loaded me up with different bottles. Having fun comparing them all and getting to know the flavors. Looking forward to making friends on the forums here. See ya!
RangerRob

Postby Dundee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello. Signed up here on the back of a new subscription to Whisky Magazine, very much looking forward to getting my hands on the 100th issue.
Currently rediscovering my passion for Whisky, after life and work distracted me for a few years.
Look forward to chatting on the forums from time to time.
Cheers to you all.
Dundee

Postby edk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 am

Hello,
I am Ed. I live in Texas. I like my whisky without an e, preferably peated. I was introduced to this forum by adamMY, ganja and pkt77242 (in alphabetical order).
edk

Postby AdamMY » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 am

edk wrote:Hello,
I am Ed. I live in Texas. I like my whisky without an e, preferably peated. I was introduced to this forum by adamMY, ganja and pkt77242 (in alphabetical order).

Welcome Ed.
AdamMY

Postby broadwayblue » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 am

Hey all, just wanted to say hello from NYC. Like many I was also a drinker of blends until I learned about single malts. I still like a dram of Johnnie Walker Gold on occasion, but I've been putting together a small collection of single malts lately and enjoying learning about the various distilleries as well as sampling their wares. I started off with some easy ones like Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cardhu, but just the other night I cracked open my first bottle of Ardbeg...that was a completely different experience!
broadwayblue

Postby Nu2Whisky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Howdy,
I'm Nu2Whisky :-)

I am actually really very new to alcoholic beverages in general. :angel:

After 30-odd years on the planet, I tried tequila, vodka, whisk(e)y {yup the newbie knows the difference}, sambuca and wine last year. Besides all the mixed drinks ("spirit coolers/girl drinks") I could only stomach vodka and sambuca. Never tasted beer - never want to!

My first foray into whisky was not pleasant and couldnt believe that something that expensive (relative to a normal soda, drink) was so YUCK. Next line is not for the faint of heart - I poured a Jack & Jameson (both 750ml) down the toilet cos I thought that's where p!$$ belonged.

Then got the itch to try whisky again cos i read a lot and just from reading it seemed like a very intriguing world with many passionate drinkers. (thats how I found this site and after reading some posts decided to join)

So I've persevered more recently with whisky.

I started with Bells Old scotch last Saturday. Could only drink it with Appletiser. Finished that in a week cos i needed to force that down to get some 'experience'.

This past weekend I bought nearly concurrently (within a day of each)
- Jameson 12 YO
- Chivas Regal 12YO (cos i read for first time whisky drinkers its a good intro)
- Glenfiddich 12 YO with a small 15 YO pack (Read its a good first into SMS)

Tried Jameson on the rocks but halfway needed that Appletiser but it was WAYYY better that the Bells.
The Chivas Regal was "sweeter" than the other whiskeys I've tried but I drank on the rocks. I tried also putting some Sambuca Gold into the tail end of my next Chivas but that wasnt nice.

I have yet to open the 'Fiddichs. Probably want to finish one blend first before entering that world!!!

What is the general opinion of the bottles I bought recently ??

Anyway thats my introduction. Hello all. Right now, sipping that Chivas OTRz :-)
Nu2Whisky

Postby lawschooldrunk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi, everyone.
lawschooldrunk

Postby AdamMY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:Hi, everyone.

I know you had to have posted more than at least once before!

Welcome back.
AdamMY

Postby lawschooldrunk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, AHEM, the powers that be around here "lost" my account. Only got around to it now.
lawschooldrunk

Postby Nu2Whisky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Nu. My comment is that the hardest part for people getting into whisky is the alcohol level. One might try adding water instead of ice to the whisky. Start with a little and maybe add some more as necessary.

What kind of glass do you use? You might want to try a glencairn. Many times you can get these with the purchase of a bottle like Old Pulteney 12. A brandy snifter is good too. These will help to concentrate the nose. I would suggest sitting down with a glass of whisky some time where you strictly concentrate on nosing it.

I find Chivas 12 to be an average blend. I prefer the Jameson's 12. Glenfiddich is a good introductory single malt.

And good to see you around again LSD

Thanks Ganga. I use a whisky tumbler (shape is like a cask - came with the Chivas). Will definately try to get a Glencairn (had to google that!).

Cheers
Nu2Whisky

Postby WhiteNoise » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 am

New to the forum and I'd like to say Hi. My mission is to learn as much as possible about Scotch Whisky, and everything else including but not limited to, drinking, glass ware, tasting, smelling etc...

I've been drinking for many years. Some of those years more than others but in the end I've found that a good whisky is where I want to be. Sure I enjoy; no I love a good ale and a good wine but I want to enjoy a good whisky. This is something that has never been easy to do for me. Sure I've had my share of whisky over the years as well as everything else in your local bar but to actually enjoy it? Never. Then I met someone that drinks a few ounces a night of what he considers good whisky. After several years of listening to him I decided it was time to try a quality whisky myself. Up to this point any cheap whisky would do but no longer. For three weeks now I have been buying whiskies. So far I've tried 4 brands ranging in cost from $42 to $125 a bottle. Its been a tuff road I've been on the last few weeks. I don't care what anyone says; drinking whisky is not the easiest thing to do. Drinking it neat is really hard for me. The good news is the last few weeks I've gone from sipping 1:1 to 3:1 in favor of whisky. And every time I drink it gets easier to drink with less mineral water. For tasting purposes I drink sip neat followed by a splash of water. But for drinking I need more water as of today.

What I'm getting at is I'm here to stay. Scotch has made a big impression on me and I plan to collect within my budget. I'm very much enjoying myself right now. The smells, the palate & the finish.

I'm still very much new at all this and I'm looking for a home to learn from, share with and just talk whisky.
WhiteNoise

Postby WhiteNoise » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 am

I has been easier lately. That's for sure! I really enjoy The Balvenie even though it's the lowest cost bottle in my small collection but I'm on my second bottle now and I have to say I keep coming back to it because it's just good.
WhiteNoise

Postby fwrightson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I've been a member just under a month now. I've been looking through the forums to acquaint myself with the various topics, etc.

About myself...I discovered single malts in the early 80s while on a business trip to Scotland and staying in an old style business hotel (the loo was down the hall and not in the room). In 1984, I moved my family from Boston, USA, to London. Before departing Boston, I was introduced to an American owned Scottish distillery for sale. Before traveling up to Edinburgh, I had dinner in London with a friend who was a Member of Parliament. During dinner, I told him of my upcoming trip and he said he was a member of a Parliamentary Committee that oversaw the whisky industry and offered to set up a meeting for me with the Scotch Whisky Association. This was fantastic for they gave me reams of data on the distilleries, on the worldwide market for 'brown spirits' and so I was better prepared for my meetings. The industry was going through some difficult times in the 80s with many distillery closings and I ended up not pursuing the deal. However, a year later, a Welch friend (who consulted with the Scottish commerce department on troubled companies) introduced me to a troubled small single malt distillery up on the Scottish coast. Because it was troubled and the industry was troubled (not to mention that my wife would hear nothing about the possibility of moving to the remote outer reaches of Scotland), I did not pursue this 'opportunity'.

Fast forward some 25 years and my wife and I are still drinking single malts but a couple of years ago, I discovered Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (a single malt). This puts me on the research trail. What is an American distillery doing making a single malt? Who else is doing this? Lo and behold, I find the fast growing craft distillery industry. I have purchased and watched all of the Malt Project DVDs (I feel like I've been in each of the distilleries). I'm a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America. I have read all of Ian Wisniewski's Whisky Magazine articles on production. I've read all of the books on distilling whisky. At this point, I think I have a fairly good grasp of the complete process of making a single malt.

My 33 year old son also enjoys single malts so we're starting to do a fair amount of tasting. Who knows where this will lead...perhaps nothing more than the enjoyment of a good whisky. :thumbsup:
fwrightson

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder