Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Bozo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am

thanks for the welcome folks :) something i already like about these forums is the ratio of new/old people posting in this thread. thanks also for the links dramtastic - i had not heard of those.
Bozo

Postby kyorke1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome Bozo, hope you have a good time here.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Hello from Fii-Wi

Postby Fi-Wi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Hello fellow malt lovers, let me introduce myself.

I am Steven from the Netherlands, and I have been reading this forum for about 4 weeks now and couldn't resist joining you. I am 39 and have been affected by the single malt virus for 10 years now, although I must admit that of some of those years it was latent (not due to the whisky by the way).

About 2 months ago I regained my interest and bought a couple of bottles to revive my tasting buds and prepare them for the Islay taste were I left them some time ago.

I started with my favourites from then, a Balvenie Doublewood (12), Glenmorangie (10) and a Highland Park (12). I found a Glenfiddich 12 in a closed so I used that one to compared to my better bottles I purchased. After that I bought an Old Pulteny 12 and a Clynelish 14 because I didn't know them and wanted to taste more seawind because those summer evenings were/are over (for the moment) here in the Netherlands. Delicious, both of them I must say! Last week I went to the local whisky store and bought myself a 0,2L of Caol Ila 18 that I will be tasting tonight.

That will bring me back to the start of Islay, where I left it. I drank some Islays before and I must admit that I to do find that region the walhalla of malts. Had the Ardbeg 10 + 17, Laphraoig 10 + 10 CS, Lagavulin 16, Caol Isla 12 before be it a while ago, but I must say getting re-aquaintaned with the delicious world of whisky isn't a punishment! :thumbsup:

The (familiar) Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16 and the Cragganmore 12 are on my short list, but I am convinced that reading this forum will "unshort" that list.

Hope to learn and read from you a lot!
Fi-Wi

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Welcome Wi-Fi. Looks like you've made a pretty good start into the malt experience. Feel free to ask any question especially about upcoming purchases. We like to spend OPM (other people's money). Have a good time.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Fi-Wi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 am

Thanks for the hospitallity Ganga.
Fi-Wi

Postby Dubois » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:25 am

Welcome to our new member harold_liang97 !
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Hello from Fii-Wi

Postby johan brugge » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:49 am

Fi-Wi wrote:Hello fellow malt lovers, let me introduce myself.

I am Steven from the Netherlands, and I have been reading this forum for about 4 weeks now and couldn't resist joining you. I am 39 and have been affected by the single malt virus for 10 years now, although I must admit that of some of those years it was latent (not due to the whisky by the way).

About 2 months ago I regained my interest and bought a couple of bottles to revive my tasting buds and prepare them for the Islay taste were I left them some time ago.

I started with my favourites from then, a Balvenie Doublewood (12), Glenmorangie (10) and a Highland Park (12). I found a Glenfiddich 12 in a closed so I used that one to compared to my better bottles I purchased. After that I bought an Old Pulteny 12 and a Clynelish 14 because I didn't know them and wanted to taste more seawind because those summer evenings were/are over (for the moment) here in the Netherlands. Delicious, both of them I must say! Last week I went to the local whisky store and bought myself a 0,2L of Caol Ila 18 that I will be tasting tonight.

That will bring me back to the start of Islay, where I left it. I drank some Islays before and I must admit that I to do find that region the walhalla of malts. Had the Ardbeg 10 + 17, Laphraoig 10 + 10 CS, Lagavulin 16, Caol Isla 12 before be it a while ago, but I must say getting re-aquaintaned with the delicious world of whisky isn't a punishment! :thumbsup:

The (familiar) Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16 and the Cragganmore 12 are on my short list, but I am convinced that reading this forum will "unshort" that list.

Hope to learn and read from you a lot!

Hello Steven, welcome on this forum. It's nice to know you found your way to this forum as well.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Welcome to the boards Bozo & Fi-Wi. 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Fi-Wi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks guys! I'll toast to that.
Fi-Wi

Postby dramtastic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Welcome Fi-Wi, please to enjoy the forum
dramtastic

Postby bredman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:02 am

Hello Y2M, welcome to the forum.

Easy tiger!
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBill » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:54 pm

ok - I'll chime in - already have a few posts and learning a wealth of information. It certainly is a never ending journey of endless tastings. And kudos to those willing to share their time and knowledge, especially with newbie posts which I'm sure there must be a great deal of repetitive questions.
cheers
WhiskyBill

Postby dramtastic » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:10 am

Welcome whiskybill. Please to enjoy the forums
dramtastic

Postby Klondike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Greetings all from Copenhagen!

I am a fairly young bloke of 28 summers (born 1982) working full time in a wineshop in Copenhagen. We carry a medium/small selection of single malts too but are nowhere near the best assorted in Copenhagen. I am mostly a wine guy but have been really hooked on whiskies too the past year or two :mrgreen:

I got interested in liquors and mixing cocktails in my late teens but soon thereafter moved to wine as my main interest and have worked professionally with wine since 2001. I have always enjoyed a good glass of whisky, though, and a trip to Scotland summer of 2009 didn't lessen the interest :D . I'm still not spending as much money on single malts as I am on wine but the gap is definitely narrowing :insane:

I quite like all styles of whisky, having been initially hooked on the peaty flavours of Laphroaig and Lagavulin, the latter not so much the normal 16 YO, which has never really hit a spark i me, but rather the Destillers Edition from 1987. This blew my mind some years ago. Today Islay's are not so much my favourites but I still enjoy a glass occasionally. At the moment I'm more into the aromatic, soft, "caressing" kinds of whiskies, that I mention in my profile, e.g. Glenfarclas 15 YO, Highland Park 18 YO and Longmorn 15 YO.

I have purchased the Whisky Bible of Jim Murray and find his scores very helpful, although I disagree on a number of instances too. Especially do I find his scores on Ardbeg and Glenmorangie to be too high although they are great malts for sure. I especially enjoy Ardbeg but perhaps don't find it so much above all else as JM seem to do. Nonetheless a wonderful tool, I think!

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to reading this board and hopefully participate in some of the discussions.

Best regards!
Klondike

Postby Ganga » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Welcome Klondike. I know of at least one Dane on here who can give you advice on whisky in your country. I look forward to seeing more questions and comments coming from you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Klondike » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Ganga,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a few professional contacts but it would be great with someone, whom I know won't have the intention of selling me something everytime he mentions a good whisky :-D
Klondike

Postby Ganga » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Well stated Nick. Everyone has been a novice at some point.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacDeffe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Klondike, nice to see another dane on this forum.

Which wineshop do you work in ?

If you want to keep up with local events you should also check out the danish whisky forum www.whiskynyt.dk (it's in danish!)

Beware of Ganga thou, he drinks more whisky than me :-)

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Maccy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Wi-Fi, WhiskyBill and Klondike - Welcome to you all.
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Klondike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Collector, MacDeffe and Maccy,

Thanks for the welcome!

And MacDeffe, thankf for the heads up on the danish forum. Will check it out soon.

I work at Kjær & Sommerfeldt. Our Whisky selection is today nowhere near what it was three years ago, unfortunately. I know Juul's and think it's a great store.

Best regards
Klondike

Postby Stevie t » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 am

Hi Malt lovers. I though it about time i introduced my self My name is Stevie i live in Glasgow. I only started drinking whisky about a year ago. I have been busy amassing a small collection and am now up to about 45 bottles. My favorite whisky's to date are The Glenlivet Nadurra ,Ardbeg Uigeadail, Lagavulin 16. I have well and truly got the whisky bug and am really enjoying buying and tasting different whisky's. I look forward to hearing from anyone on the forum.
Stevie t

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Welcome Stevie. Normally I say whiskies is a good innoculant but in your case I doubt it.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Welcome Rinho. I always find the new people to challenge my opionions and tastes. This is allows me to reflect back on the whiskies I've tried and how some of my thoughts have changed through the years.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Welcome Rinho. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to change Ganga's mind.
Willie JJ

Postby skapunk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi,
I'm Ivica from Macedonia (33 y.o) and I'm a malt lover.
It's hard to find single malts in my country but I'm trying :)
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 10
Caol Ila 12
Ardbeg 10
Bowmore 12
Highland Park 12
Talisker 10
Glenkinchie 10
The Glenlivet 12
Glenmorangie 10
Glen Ord 12
Cardhu 12
are some of the malts that I've tryed and have in my cellar.
I'm looking forward to learn and read from you Malt lovers.
Greetings from Skopje, Macedonia. :smoke:
skapunk

Postby Yello to Mello » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 am

My return. :angel:

Greetings to those I know, those who I never seen in a while, and all the newcomers.
Yello to Mello

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 am

Welcome back Y2M.

Also welcome to skapunk, stevie, klondike and rinho. Enjoy your time here.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:26 am

Welcome back Y2M. And welcom skapunk.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby tomtom4919 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi...I'm Tom, I'm 33 and I live in Manchester. Got into whisky in a serious way about four years ago. Hated all well-known blends. Too many tasted like petrol. Then someone gave me a bottle of Bailie Nicol Jarvie and I was blown away by how nice it was.

Maybe I'm warped but I can't resist Caol Ila. I know it divides opinion (some of my friends won't go near it) and even I'm sometimes not in the mood for it, but it draws me back again and again.
tomtom4919

Postby Ganga » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Welcome Tom. No, not warped. CI has some huge fans and a few detractors. Myself, I'm not a big fan of the older CIs. But the young ones are tasty.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Maccy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Stevie T, Rinho, Skapunk and TomTom4919.

Some very good favourite whisky there i think.

Don't think I've tried "Macedonia 33 y.o." though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:59 am

Welcome to all the new members of late and good to see you back Y2M
dramtastic

Postby grrrr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi, My name is Dennis from Wiltshire and although I'm fond of whisky I have little knowledge about it. I'm sure this is a great forum with great people participating, therefore I feel morally bound to be honest. I really only joined in order to post a request for anyone to help me find a bottle of "Shenley's Golden Wedding" in the UK. It is intended to be a gift for my ageing father who was in the Army during the 50's and 60's and, in his travels (Africa, Cyprus etc.) he was given some bottles in exchange for some tank parts (yes, tank parts!) needed by a Canadian regiment (or so the story goes).
Since then he has never come across another bottle but always wanted to. When he decribes the story he quotes it as "Californian Golden Wedding" but my amatuer research has revealed no such whiskey existed and it must be "Canadian Golden Wedding" which I since found out is/was made by Shenleys.
Can anyone help me please? He is 81 years old and....to be blunt...I'm running out of time. Kind Regards.
grrrr

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am

tomtom4919 wrote:Hi...I'm Tom, I'm 33 and I live in Manchester. Got into whisky in a serious way about four years ago. Hated all well-known blends. Too many tasted like petrol. Then someone gave me a bottle of Bailie Nicol Jarvie and I was blown away by how nice it was.

Maybe I'm warped but I can't resist Caol Ila. I know it divides opinion (some of my friends won't go near it) and even I'm sometimes not in the mood for it, but it draws me back again and again.

Hi Tom, I'm Matt, 34 and I live in Manchester. Got into whisky in a serious way about four years ago.

Welcome to the forum, you are in good company :D
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 am

ClubSmed wrote:Hi Tom, I'm Matt, 34 and I live in Manchester. Got into whisky in a serious way about four years ago.

Its starting to sound like an AA meeting round here :wink:
Willie JJ

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder