Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 am

Welcome back Drrich and welcome to Blackmoresknight
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:28 am

Thank you kindly- feels good to be back in the thick of the whisky thang..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 am

Rich: I am so pleased to see you back in the swing of things! I've been wandering in and out from time to time looking to see what's being commented on. Now, I'll be much more inclined to log in and enjoy the knowledge you share so well.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby snozzlecat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi,

My name's Sarah and I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me some info about a whisky that I have. It's called Lass O'Gowrie - Blended Scotch Whisky which I believe may be about 50 years old and is unopened.

The bottle says "blended and bottled by Rigby & Evens Ltd - Established 1796 Liverpool and Bristol - Product of Scotland". It says it was distilled in Scotland but I think it may have been exported and re-imported back into the UK from Buenos Aires. The bottom of the label says:
"Importado por la - S.A. importadora y exportadora de la Patagonia. Avda. Pte. Roque Saenz Pena 547 - Buenos Aires"

I would really like to try and find out how old this whisky actually is and possibly any other historical information about it. I've contacted various places but nobody can tell me anything about it. Hopefully someone on here might be able to help and thanks in advance.
snozzlecat

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Welcome Sarah. I would recommend you repost this to the Whisky Questions Section. It might get missed in here.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby snozzlecat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Many thanks, I'll do that. Hopefully someone's heard of it...
snozzlecat

Postby eol » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 am

Hello all - I've been shadowing this site for years and have appreciated all of the knowledge and expertise. I've quietly been involved with with whisk(e)y for years and may bring some insight to the conversation.
eol

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:52 am

eol wrote:Hello all - I've been shadowing this site for years and have appreciated all of the knowledge and expertise. I've quietly been involved with with whisk(e)y for years and may bring some insight to the conversation.

welcome eol, I hope you enjoy your time here. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 am

Welcome eol. I hope to see you participate here. Fire away with any questions you may have.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wi3rdo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am

Hi. I'm Dan. After years of drinking jack Daniels and coke with ice in the last few years as I hit my mid 30s I found my tastes changing to the point where I started to enjoy neat scotch. I was round a neighbours house and mentioned I like John is walker black and he said 'have you tried any single malts?' turns out he's a single malt fanatic. He gave me a glass of lagavulin 16yo and it was like the doors of perception opening! It's still so far my favourite single malt although initially I went and brought a bottle and wasn't sure about it (it's probably not the best single malt to start out with). At my neighbours suggestion I tried a few others Bunnahabhain, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie etc to develop my tastes. I then went back to the Lagavulin 6 months later and loved it. I liked Talisker 10 and of the Islays I've tried Caol Ila 12 and Ardbeg oogie. The only Islay I've been a bit disappointed with is Laphroiag 10 which seemed to me like a lot of smoke but not a lot else.

On my wish list for future purchases is:
Ardbeg 10, Laga 12 and DE, Talisker 18, Oban 14 and Aberlour A'bundah (I know that's not the correct spelling!).
Wi3rdo

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:55 pm

Welcome Dan! Hope you start making it to the site on a regular basis. I'm sure you can start to get some opinions on different whiskies that you are curious about. As for Laphroaig 10, I find that it varies a bit from strong smokiness to ones that are hardly smokiey at all but feature apples.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 am

Wi3rdo wrote:Hi. I'm Dan. After years of drinking jack Daniels and coke with ice in the last few years as I hit my mid 30s I found my tastes changing to the point where I started to enjoy neat scotch. I was round a neighbours house and mentioned I like John is walker black and he said 'have you tried any single malts?' turns out he's a single malt fanatic. He gave me a glass of lagavulin 16yo and it was like the doors of perception opening! It's still so far my favourite single malt although initially I went and brought a bottle and wasn't sure about it (it's probably not the best single malt to start out with). At my neighbours suggestion I tried a few others Bunnahabhain, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie etc to develop my tastes. I then went back to the Lagavulin 6 months later and loved it. I liked Talisker 10 and of the Islays I've tried Caol Ila 12 and Ardbeg oogie. The only Islay I've been a bit disappointed with is Laphroiag 10 which seemed to me like a lot of smoke but not a lot else.

On my wish list for future purchases is:
Ardbeg 10, Laga 12 and DE, Talisker 18, Oban 14 and Aberlour A'bundah (I know that's not the correct spelling!).

Welcome Dan, and great choices for you next couple of bottles to try. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby grumpy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi my name is Gus, better known as Grumpy to my wife and family...I'm 53 from New York "The Big Apple" and transplanted to Miami Florida since 1981. I have been enjoying Whisky for the past 30 years, and graduated to the single malts for the past 10 years. I still enjoy some of the fine blends, but my favorites are the malts. :D I enjoy the sundry expressions of The Dalmore, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, The Macallan, and Cardhu. I am happy to be here with this fine bunch. 8)
grumpy

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 pm

grumpy wrote:Hi my name is Gus, better known as Grumpy to my wife and family...I'm 53 from New York "The Big Apple" and transplanted to Miami Florida since 1981. I have been enjoying Whisky for the past 30 years, and graduated to the single malts for the past 10 years. I still enjoy some of the fine blends, but my favorites are the malts. :D I enjoy the sundry expressions of The Dalmore, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, The Macallan, and Cardhu. I am happy to be here with this fine bunch. 8)

Welcome Grumpy, I hope you enjoy your time here. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby grumpy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 am

Thank you for the warm greeting pkt77242...
grumpy

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 am

grumpy wrote:Thank you for the warm greeting pkt77242...

You are most welcome good sir. We do monthly themed tastings, feel free to post notes. And keep up the drinking. :iwbrnt:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 am

Welcome Grumpy, hope to see you around the forum.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby neshurag » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 am

Hi all , this is Naresh , i am working for radicokhaitan (india) as assitant vice president operations, i am very much delighted to join this forum. Please do let me know in case i can help any one of you guys... i am very much found of new whiskies and belive in innovations...
Cheers
Naresh
:thumbsup:
neshurag

Postby labm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello. My name is Nick. I started drinking scotch whisky about 4 months ago. So far I've had:

Glenlivet 12 (first bottle purchased)
Glenlivet 15 (was given an opened bottle that was mostly full by a family member)
Macallan 10 (a few glasses at different bars)
Laphroaig 10 (most recent bottle finished)
Finlaggan Old Reserve (most recent bottle purchased)

I'm looking forward to trying many different kinds of scotch and I am open to suggestions and advice on which brands and/or regions are worth trying to help expand my palate and knowledge.
labm

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:13 am

labm wrote:Hello. My name is Nick. I started drinking scotch whisky about 4 months ago. So far I've had:

Glenlivet 12 (first bottle purchased)
Glenlivet 15 (was given an opened bottle that was mostly full by a family member)
Macallan 10 (a few glasses at different bars)
Laphroaig 10 (most recent bottle finished)
Finlaggan Old Reserve (most recent bottle purchased)

I'm looking forward to trying many different kinds of scotch and I am open to suggestions and advice on which brands and/or regions are worth trying to help expand my palate and knowledge.

Nick, I would say go with HP 12 to start and see what you like about it. Do you enjoy the hints of sherry? honey? or peat? then go from there. Also I would say Talisker 10 and Old Pulteney 12. Welcome Nick
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Welcome Nick. My recommnedation is to try as many different expressions as you can before you start avoiding distilleries or styles. You might try to pick up miniatures if they are available to you or find some trading partners.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby JMW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a 25 year old graphic designer from Inverness, Scotland (home of three sadly deceased distilleries of varied repute)

I've been interested in whisky for a few years now - my favourite drams so far being Glenfarclas 10yo, Black Bull 12yo, A'Bunadh, Octave Cameronbridge 1979 and Glen Ord 12yo.

As well as the spirit i'm equally fascinated by the history - i'm currently researching the history of the three former distilleries of Aberdeen, namely Devanha, Bon Accord and Strathdee. If anyone has any information relating to these then i'd be very grateful.

Hope to see you all around soon. Cheers!
JMW

Postby Ganga » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Welcome JMW. Good luck with your quest.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby RangerRob » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am

hey all, Rob here From upstate New York. Kinda new to the whole whiskey thing. I was introduced to it while ice climbing with friends. My buddy gave me a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood and I was hooked. My wife and I recently did a trip to Ireland and I visited a few pubs on the official Ireland Whiskey Trail. I fell in love with the Connemare 12, the Greenore 8, and the Midleton Very rare. We brought home a bottle of each. As far as Scotch, Laphroaig 10 is my standard lately, along with the old trusty Doulblewood. Just recently had a 40th birthday bash, and friends loaded me up with different bottles. Having fun comparing them all and getting to know the flavors. Looking forward to making friends on the forums here. See ya!
RangerRob

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome Rob. Looks like you've done a good job exploring. :)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Dundee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello. Signed up here on the back of a new subscription to Whisky Magazine, very much looking forward to getting my hands on the 100th issue.
Currently rediscovering my passion for Whisky, after life and work distracted me for a few years.
Look forward to chatting on the forums from time to time.
Cheers to you all.
Dundee

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Welcome Dundee. I noted you are near Glenturret. What do you think of this distillery? We don't see much of this one out this way.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby edk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 am

Hello,
I am Ed. I live in Texas. I like my whisky without an e, preferably peated. I was introduced to this forum by adamMY, ganja and pkt77242 (in alphabetical order).
edk

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:06 am

edk wrote:Hello,
I am Ed. I live in Texas. I like my whisky without an e, preferably peated. I was introduced to this forum by adamMY, ganja and pkt77242 (in alphabetical order).

Welcome Ed, great to have you posting. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 am

edk wrote:Hello,

Welcome Ed.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Welcome to the asylum Ed. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby broadwayblue » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 am

Hey all, just wanted to say hello from NYC. Like many I was also a drinker of blends until I learned about single malts. I still like a dram of Johnnie Walker Gold on occasion, but I've been putting together a small collection of single malts lately and enjoying learning about the various distilleries as well as sampling their wares. I started off with some easy ones like Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cardhu, but just the other night I cracked open my first bottle of Ardbeg...that was a completely different experience!
broadwayblue

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:59 pm

broadwayblue wrote:Hey all, just wanted to say hello from NYC. Like many I was also a drinker of blends until I learned about single malts. I still like a dram of Johnnie Walker Gold on occasion, but I've been putting together a small collection of single malts lately and enjoying learning about the various distilleries as well as sampling their wares. I started off with some easy ones like Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cardhu, but just the other night I cracked open my first bottle of Ardbeg...that was a completely different experience!

Welcome Broadwayblue.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:48 am

From me too Broadwayblue. :) Will check in tomorrow and hope you join us in some drams.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 am

broadwayblue wrote:Hey all, just wanted to say hello from NYC. Like many I was also a drinker of blends until I learned about single malts. I still like a dram of Johnnie Walker Gold on occasion, but I've been putting together a small collection of single malts lately and enjoying learning about the various distilleries as well as sampling their wares. I started off with some easy ones like Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie and Cardhu, but just the other night I cracked open my first bottle of Ardbeg...that was a completely different experience!

I'm sure I can put you into connections as you advance. Keep on dramming!
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder