Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby riggy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi guys i'm peter from falkirk.Have always enjoyed a dram but without
having gone into any depth. Followed the usual mainstream macallan,highland park etc ( all fine drams ). But have found lately a move towards more expansive tastes,especially towards islay malts.
Have just returned from a week in islay with a new reinforced love of the whiskies and of the people of the island. Having stayed in Port Charlotte i have a particular interest in bruichladdich.Well i'm no longer silent !
Returned with six bottles, two were port ellen 8th edition any comments
riggy

Postby Ganga » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:17 am

Welcome riggy. I'm sure the good folks of these forums will be more than willing to offer some advice, give some opinions or answer your questions. All you need do is ask.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Bone Ranger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Howdy one and all, my first post here....

I'm a freelance musician by trade, who lives near a great pub that serves great alcohol, run by a knowledegable publican who stocks an everchanging, eclectic range of whiskys. He offers a three whisky 'taster' which I decided to try one night, he talked me and some mates through what he had picked out for us, and I was hooked.

I started out gentle by buying a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yo that caught my attention that first night, and have since bought a Macallan Fifties and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, both of which I tried at the afore-mentioned pub before purchasing. I'm particularly taken by the Macallan and Laphroaig, for very different reasons. I'm also on the lookout for a Bowmore 17 next...

I'm very much into fine alcohol of all types, including beers and reds, so whisky is very much the final frontier for me, and much like the reds, I'm discovering vastly different personalities in each glass.

Andrew
The Bone Ranger

Postby Ryguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Welcome to the Forums riggy and The Bone Ranger (Andrew)! Enjoy your whisky adventures! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Welcome Bone Ranger (Andrew). Don't wait too long as the Bowmore 17 is being replaced with the Bowmore 18. Really are too different animals.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Bone Ranger » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:17 am

Ganga wrote:Don't wait too long as the Bowmore 17 is being replaced with the Bowmore 18. Really are too different animals.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let Santa know...

Andrew
The Bone Ranger

Postby robenim » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:54 am

I've been quite a while around here, although never introducing myself. I'm Robbert from the Netherlands. I'm only 29 years old and work in a psych. clinic.
My favourite whiskies are Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Bowmore.
Although I live in the Netherlands I'm a huge Liverpool fan and visit the city a couple of times a year.
robenim

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 am

Welcome to the forum robenim and to all the others that joined recently. I hope you enjoy your journey and join in on the tastings.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby PhilipM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 am

Hi,

I would just like to introduce myself, name is Phil, I live in Cape Town RSA and work in one of the largest whisky bars in the southern hemisphere, the uisge beatha bug bit me about 4 years ago and has definitely made a whisky addict out of me.

Really enjoy trying new drams ever so often, have tried about 300 different ones so far, from macallan elegancia to a rare malt rosebank 25, but my favorite remains St Magdelene Rare Malts 19yr old, what a pleasure.

We have 375 different whiskies and our collection is ever increasing, have some serious stuff on our shelves.

I will definitely make use of the knowledge on tap in the forums, as there are quite a few mysterious bottlings in our collection.

Cheers

Phil - from a sunny Cape Town

:thumbsup:
PhilipM

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Phil and welcome. Lucky you, being so well-suited to your work :) Your mysterious bottles sound intriguing 8)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Welcome to the Forums Phil! I look forward to reading your posts and hearing more about your collection. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:48 am

lincoln imp wrote:Woodhill this thread is an excellent idea. :thumbsup:
A warm welcome to all new forum members :)

As a (shy) noob myself, I agree wholeheartedly! 8)
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Welcome Phil. You will generally find a very willing group that will try to answer questions and willingly give you an opinion or two.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:58 am

Well here we go: I'm really, really new into whiskey. A friend of mine is a really Whiskey enthusiast. He introduced me to a small whiskeycafe in Amsterdam and told me some things about Whiskey. I was quite interested to the material.

I had my first dram of The Famous Grouse last week. It took two sips to get used to the taste of whiskey and then I really liked it. One day later I tried Glenhood.

The past few days I read articles on Wikipedia about the production process and how things work in the world whiskey. Quite interesting...hope to learn some more over here... :wink:
osiris

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forums osiris. I hope you enjoy your whisky journey.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks Jean, and with this forum as my GPS I will certainly come somewhere :P
osiris

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Osiris, a warm welcome to the forums. You'll certainly get a lot of friendly suggestions here, the first of which is that there is a Live Tastings subforum.

In the Live Tastings you will find many tasting threads on various distilleries. I'd encourage you to join in on one even if you don't happen to have something from the distillery as you will have the opportunity to ask questions of the members that are tasting. The next scheduled one is Saturday for Lagavulin and there will be another one coming up in January.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby osiris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks Ganga for you welcome message. Do you mean these threads: viewforum.php?f=9
osiris

Postby Ryguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Welcome to the Forums osiris! Enjoy your whisky adventure, and I look forward to seeing you around the Live Tastings hopefully. The area of the Forum that Ganga spoke of can be found here Live Tastings
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Welcome to the Forums osiris! I hope you enjoy your stay in the forums.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby osiris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Ryguy wrote:Welcome to the Forums osiris! Enjoy your whisky adventure, and I look forward to seeing you around the Live Tastings hopefully. The area of the Forum that Ganga spoke of can be found here Live Tastings

Thanks for you welcome! So I can see a live tasting as a whisky event where people meet and taste?
osiris

Postby I_SPEY » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:36 pm

A warm welcome to riggy, The Bone Ranger, robenim, PhilipM and osiris(landgenoot!) :D

Nice to see you all here :D
Enjoy your stay. :thumbsup:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby osiris » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Nice to have this welcome for someone from the Netherlands as well. I_SPEY, you might want to check out this topic. It is about a Dutch whisky I received this week as a gift. :D
osiris

Postby Tennessee Dave » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 am

Hello to all. Sorry it took me a while to post. Just been reading and learning. I have been a bourbon drinker for quite some time and now I want to expand into the world of single malts. I've only had a few. I did receive a wonderful gift of Balvenie 21 yo Portwood from my wife and I must say that if there are a lot more out there as good as this I will be in trouble. I have also enjoyed Oban and have experienced Lagavulin though I don't think it will ever be a favorite. I tend toward wheated bourbons like Weller and Van Winkle. Looking forward to learning and tasting a lot. Recommendations accepted. :D
Tennessee Dave

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:16 am

Hi Dave, you joined a year ago, so I guess you don't like to rush into things then? ;) Welcome :thumbsup:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:30 pm

osiris wrote:Nice to have this welcome for someone from the Netherlands as well. I_SPEY, you might want to check out this topic. It is about a Dutch whisky I received this week as a gift. :D

It's a very nice gift, osiris. I've tried it quite some time ago and I liked it.
I think you will like it too(Hollanders zijn tenslotte gerenommeerde- sterke drank- drinkers!). Meanwhile I hope you will enjoy your stay here and look forward to your posts.

Rene
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby osiris » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Perhaps I will take a drink this evening. I will post my experiences in the Whisky Chat topic.
osiris

Postby osiris » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:23 pm

I opened the bottle and tried to make a taste report at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10377

Cheers
osiris

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:08 am

Tennessee Dave wrote:Hello to all. Sorry it took me a while to post. Just been reading and learning. I have been a bourbon drinker for quite some time and now I want to expand into the world of single malts. I've only had a few. I did receive a wonderful gift of Balvenie 21 yo Portwood from my wife and I must say that if there are a lot more out there as good as this I will be in trouble. I have also enjoyed Oban and have experienced Lagavulin though I don't think it will ever be a favorite. I tend toward wheated bourbons like Weller and Van Winkle. Looking forward to learning and tasting a lot. Recommendations accepted. :D

Dave, welcome! Not knowing my bourbons that well, I can't really recommend any single malts that might branch off of yours that you mentioned above, but I would say to not write off the Lagavulin quite yet. Took me a while to 'get it' as well, but if you don't, well, no biggie. I think you'll like that Portwood, and I'd recommend keeping an eye out for malts matured in bourbon barrels to start with, although some of the sherried Macallans are quite popular as well. Lots to choose from - enjoy, and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Bill
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Tennessee Dave » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words from all. Didn't really realize it had been a year since I joined and no posts :oops: . I know when I joined I was looking for bourbon information. Glad I got back here with my new found interest in single malts. Picked up a couple of more today...The Balvenie Doublewood and Glenmorangie D'Or. :thumbsup:
Tennessee Dave

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

Time flies, doesn't it? Enjoy your new acquisitions!!
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Ryguy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 am

Welcome to the Forums Tennessee Dave! Enjoy your whisky adventure!! :D :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:58 am

Well it's good to see you posting here. Welcome Dave and I look forward to all your contributions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:18 am

I've also posted the following in the Whisky Magazine forum...

Hello all. My name is Doug, and being a freshly admitted member of the Whisky Magazine forums, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to everyone here.

I reside in Montreal, Canada. Despite partaking of my very first dangerous dram at the tender age of nine, I have only been an avid whisky enthusiast for the last ¼-century and a bit. Single malt Scotch is my tipple of choice, though I also thoroughly enjoy American and Canadian as well as Irish and Japanese whiskies, not to mention Rum, Brandy, Tequila, Liqueurs and just about any other spirit under the sun. I'm very partial to wine, as well. And it's a rare evening at our household when dinner is not accompanied by the gift of the vine.

Over the past few years, I've been smitten by the writing bug and - apart from managing to publish a modest book on single malt Scotch - have regularly contributed wine and spirits articles to the Lifestyles section of the Cigar Weekly Magazine Page. My column there is entitled "A Rich Pour".

Like anyone with some Scots blood in their heritage, I tend to seek out good value, and therefore more often than not eschew the extravagant while favouring the best bang for the buck.

My latest purchases? Caol Ila 1996 Distillers Edition, Caol Ila Cask Strength, Glenlivet 16 Year Old Nadurra Cask Strength and Bowmore 1991 Port Matured Cask Strength.

My latest received gifts? Arran Tokaji Wine Cask Finished, an early edition of Glenmorangie Port Finish and Crown Royal Cask No.16.

Thank you for having me.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

how much does a 32 year old Chivas Regal cost?

Postby palaniappan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:17 pm

hippl pls tell me how much does a 32 year old Chiavs Regal[whisky] cost? Or for what cost will i be able to sell it now?? :roll:
palaniappan

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder