Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Nu2Whisky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Howdy,
I'm Nu2Whisky :-)

I am actually really very new to alcoholic beverages in general. :angel:

After 30-odd years on the planet, I tried tequila, vodka, whisk(e)y {yup the newbie knows the difference}, sambuca and wine last year. Besides all the mixed drinks ("spirit coolers/girl drinks") I could only stomach vodka and sambuca. Never tasted beer - never want to!

My first foray into whisky was not pleasant and couldnt believe that something that expensive (relative to a normal soda, drink) was so YUCK. Next line is not for the faint of heart - I poured a Jack & Jameson (both 750ml) down the toilet cos I thought that's where p!$$ belonged.

Then got the itch to try whisky again cos i read a lot and just from reading it seemed like a very intriguing world with many passionate drinkers. (thats how I found this site and after reading some posts decided to join)

So I've persevered more recently with whisky.

I started with Bells Old scotch last Saturday. Could only drink it with Appletiser. Finished that in a week cos i needed to force that down to get some 'experience'.

This past weekend I bought nearly concurrently (within a day of each)
- Jameson 12 YO
- Chivas Regal 12YO (cos i read for first time whisky drinkers its a good intro)
- Glenfiddich 12 YO with a small 15 YO pack (Read its a good first into SMS)

Tried Jameson on the rocks but halfway needed that Appletiser but it was WAYYY better that the Bells.
The Chivas Regal was "sweeter" than the other whiskeys I've tried but I drank on the rocks. I tried also putting some Sambuca Gold into the tail end of my next Chivas but that wasnt nice.

I have yet to open the 'Fiddichs. Probably want to finish one blend first before entering that world!!!

What is the general opinion of the bottles I bought recently ??

Anyway thats my introduction. Hello all. Right now, sipping that Chivas OTRz :-)
Nu2Whisky

Postby lawschooldrunk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi, everyone.
lawschooldrunk

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 am

Welcome Nu. My comment is that the hardest part for people getting into whisky is the alcohol level. One might try adding water instead of ice to the whisky. Start with a little and maybe add some more as necessary.

What kind of glass do you use? You might want to try a glencairn. Many times you can get these with the purchase of a bottle like Old Pulteney 12. A brandy snifter is good too. These will help to concentrate the nose. I would suggest sitting down with a glass of whisky some time where you strictly concentrate on nosing it.

I find Chivas 12 to be an average blend. I prefer the Jameson's 12. Glenfiddich is a good introductory single malt.

And good to see you around again LSD
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:Hi, everyone.

I know you had to have posted more than at least once before!

Welcome back.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lawschooldrunk » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, AHEM, the powers that be around here "lost" my account. Only got around to it now.
lawschooldrunk

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:Well, AHEM, the powers that be around here "lost" my account. Only got around to it now.

Glad to have you back LSD. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Nu2Whisky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Nu. My comment is that the hardest part for people getting into whisky is the alcohol level. One might try adding water instead of ice to the whisky. Start with a little and maybe add some more as necessary.

What kind of glass do you use? You might want to try a glencairn. Many times you can get these with the purchase of a bottle like Old Pulteney 12. A brandy snifter is good too. These will help to concentrate the nose. I would suggest sitting down with a glass of whisky some time where you strictly concentrate on nosing it.

I find Chivas 12 to be an average blend. I prefer the Jameson's 12. Glenfiddich is a good introductory single malt.

And good to see you around again LSD

Thanks Ganga. I use a whisky tumbler (shape is like a cask - came with the Chivas). Will definately try to get a Glencairn (had to google that!).

Cheers
Nu2Whisky

Postby WhiteNoise » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 am

New to the forum and I'd like to say Hi. My mission is to learn as much as possible about Scotch Whisky, and everything else including but not limited to, drinking, glass ware, tasting, smelling etc...

I've been drinking for many years. Some of those years more than others but in the end I've found that a good whisky is where I want to be. Sure I enjoy; no I love a good ale and a good wine but I want to enjoy a good whisky. This is something that has never been easy to do for me. Sure I've had my share of whisky over the years as well as everything else in your local bar but to actually enjoy it? Never. Then I met someone that drinks a few ounces a night of what he considers good whisky. After several years of listening to him I decided it was time to try a quality whisky myself. Up to this point any cheap whisky would do but no longer. For three weeks now I have been buying whiskies. So far I've tried 4 brands ranging in cost from $42 to $125 a bottle. Its been a tuff road I've been on the last few weeks. I don't care what anyone says; drinking whisky is not the easiest thing to do. Drinking it neat is really hard for me. The good news is the last few weeks I've gone from sipping 1:1 to 3:1 in favor of whisky. And every time I drink it gets easier to drink with less mineral water. For tasting purposes I drink sip neat followed by a splash of water. But for drinking I need more water as of today.

What I'm getting at is I'm here to stay. Scotch has made a big impression on me and I plan to collect within my budget. I'm very much enjoying myself right now. The smells, the palate & the finish.

I'm still very much new at all this and I'm looking for a home to learn from, share with and just talk whisky.
WhiteNoise

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:43 pm

WhiteNoise wrote:I don't care what anyone says; drinking whisky is not the easiest thing to do. Drinking it neat is really hard for me. The good news is the last few weeks I've gone from sipping 1:1 to 3:1 in favor of whisky. And every time I drink it gets easier to drink with less mineral water. For tasting purposes I drink sip neat followed by a splash of water. But for drinking I need more water as of today.

I've said it before, it's the hardest thing to get past for people. They aren't used to the high alcohol content. Good for you. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby WhiteNoise » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 am

I has been easier lately. That's for sure! I really enjoy The Balvenie even though it's the lowest cost bottle in my small collection but I'm on my second bottle now and I have to say I keep coming back to it because it's just good.
WhiteNoise

Postby fwrightson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I've been a member just under a month now. I've been looking through the forums to acquaint myself with the various topics, etc.

About myself...I discovered single malts in the early 80s while on a business trip to Scotland and staying in an old style business hotel (the loo was down the hall and not in the room). In 1984, I moved my family from Boston, USA, to London. Before departing Boston, I was introduced to an American owned Scottish distillery for sale. Before traveling up to Edinburgh, I had dinner in London with a friend who was a Member of Parliament. During dinner, I told him of my upcoming trip and he said he was a member of a Parliamentary Committee that oversaw the whisky industry and offered to set up a meeting for me with the Scotch Whisky Association. This was fantastic for they gave me reams of data on the distilleries, on the worldwide market for 'brown spirits' and so I was better prepared for my meetings. The industry was going through some difficult times in the 80s with many distillery closings and I ended up not pursuing the deal. However, a year later, a Welch friend (who consulted with the Scottish commerce department on troubled companies) introduced me to a troubled small single malt distillery up on the Scottish coast. Because it was troubled and the industry was troubled (not to mention that my wife would hear nothing about the possibility of moving to the remote outer reaches of Scotland), I did not pursue this 'opportunity'.

Fast forward some 25 years and my wife and I are still drinking single malts but a couple of years ago, I discovered Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey (a single malt). This puts me on the research trail. What is an American distillery doing making a single malt? Who else is doing this? Lo and behold, I find the fast growing craft distillery industry. I have purchased and watched all of the Malt Project DVDs (I feel like I've been in each of the distilleries). I'm a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America. I have read all of Ian Wisniewski's Whisky Magazine articles on production. I've read all of the books on distilling whisky. At this point, I think I have a fairly good grasp of the complete process of making a single malt.

My 33 year old son also enjoys single malts so we're starting to do a fair amount of tasting. Who knows where this will lead...perhaps nothing more than the enjoyment of a good whisky. :thumbsup:
fwrightson

Postby mtan11 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Guys, I'm Mark. I'm newbie here.
mtan11

Postby outamyway » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 am

Hi all,

My name is Jeff, I've been a fan of Scotch Whisky for a few years now. I'm a flavor chemist and most of my main clients are distilleries. Being in Louisville KY affords me quite the exposure to Bourbon, which I do like but I enjoy a good single malt the most. I'm currently draming an Oban 14, a Glenmorangie Lasanta and a Glenlivet 18. Just scored some Bruichladdich Islay Links and an Oban 1995 Distillers Edition, can't wait to crack that one. Glad to be here, hope to learn a few things and converse with some fellow enthusiasts.

Slainte!
outamyway

Postby AdamMY » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:30 am

Welcome Outamyway hope to see you around the forum!
AdamMY

Postby grumpy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm

A BIG WELCOME Ouamyway. Glad to have you as part of the clan... 8) :D :thumbsup:
grumpy

Postby outamyway » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks!
outamyway

Postby kennetbarble » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi to all ,i had a few drams years ago did not like it BUT last week i tried a malt 12 year old (ouch) i am hooked just had a peated one 46% vol wow little water for it well nice .cheers martyn
kennetbarble

Postby nash60975 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in whisky for a little while now. I spend a lot of time doing tastings and sharing samples with friends and other enthusiasts so we are able to try as many expressions as possible. I'm excited to have found another community of fellow whisky lovers and I look forward to sharing with everyone on the forums.
nash60975

Postby AdamMY » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 am

Welcome Nash, Share what you are drinking in the What are you Drinking Now Thread, and just contribute elsewhere on the forum as you can.
AdamMY

Postby grumpy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 am

A big warm welcome to the family Nash. I suggest you have a dram or two at least twice a week, and record in a book or journal your tasting experience. This way you can remember which dram is the most to your fancy.

Cheers... :D :thumbsup: :smoke:
grumpy

Postby Jon.McGregor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Jon McGregor. I was horned and raised in Ontario Canada.
I still very much a novice, but I'm enjoying every moment of this ride.
I'll be around to stay.

How's everyone?
Jon.McGregor

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Welcome Jon. Always good to have a new person to the interest. We're glad to help if you have questions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby tempwave » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Adam and I am from Illinois. I just got into whisky about 4 months ago. I decided whisky was for me when I got tired of drinking too many beers on Sundays while watching Football.

Can't wait for the spring weather so I can relax outdoors with a dram. Thus far I've tried The Glenmorangie 10 Year and The Lasanta. Both of which my wife has purchased for me.

I'm fascinated by all the different options and can't wait to expand my tastes. Hopefully I will be venturing into a new bottle soon!

-Adam
tempwave

Postby AdamMY » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 am

Adam,

Illinois is a great state for Whisky due to the phenomenal chain Binny's. Although that all depends on how close to the Chicago area you are, as I do not think they have gone too far from Chicago yet.
AdamMY

Postby tempwave » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:38 am

Adam!

A Binny's is opening up not too far from (40 minutes) where I live (Bloomington). We do have a Friar Tuck here which has a pretty good selection it seems.

Can't wait for Binny's though. I used to live up by Chicago and really enjoyed going there.
tempwave

Postby AdamMY » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 am

I will in fact hopefully be picking up an order from Binny's on Friday. My parents live quite close to the St. Charles Store, so when I visit them I try and pick up a few things.
AdamMY

Postby Ganga » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:22 am

Welcome Adam. I see you've met Adam. If you have any questions about whiskies, please ask. Enjoy!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Jake n Lucy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello everyone we've taken the step and become members after lurking for a long time. Digested so much information from the people here we thought we may be able to give something back.

So you in the topics :)
Jake n Lucy

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Welcome to both of you. :thumbsup: Look forward to hearing more from you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 am

Welcome Jake and Lucy!.
AdamMY

Postby whiskyandspice » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a whisky lover from Toronto, Canada. My dad and brother are whisky drinkers for many years but they always enjoyed the popular blends and really never ventured much into the world of single malts. About five years ago I started drinking more whisky than beer. I noticed that my palate started to appreciate the subtle flavours beyond the burn of the alcohol and my desire grew to start experimenting with different single malts to discover the differences in flavour between them.

I admit that my palate isn't as refined as many on this forum and other whisky discussions, but I do know what I like and can identify major tasting notes and smoothness between various whiskies.

My taste in whisky seems to reflect my taste in music. BIG SOUND. Any John Bonham fans here? When I first discovered Laphroaig several years ago I thought to myself that this is like Bonham in a bottle. But I enjoy diversity and do apprecaite and crave the more subtle lowland drams and have many favourites from the Speyside region.

I'm also a photographer and recently launched a food photography blog to document my adventures with whisky and food. You can check it out at http://www.whiskyandspice.ca.

Cheers,
Dan

whiskyandspice

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 am

Nice work, Dan. Welcome!
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 am

Welcome Dan. Looks like you've got a good start in exploring the spectrum.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 am

Dan noticed your interest in food and whisky. Here is a thread that might interest you.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4017&p=146104&hilit=mussels#p146104
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby SheltieBoy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello!
I have been lurking for awhile but finally joined. I also subscribed to the magazine (after purchasing quite a few used copies).
You have a wonderful Forum here! I have learned a lot so far!
SheltieBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder