Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby SheltieBoy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:59 pm

whiskyandspice wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a whisky lover from Toronto, Canada. My dad and brother are whisky drinkers for many years but they always enjoyed the popular blends and really never ventured much into the world of single malts. About five years ago I started drinking more whisky than beer. I noticed that my palate started to appreciate the subtle flavours beyond the burn of the alcohol and my desire grew to start experimenting with different single malts to discover the differences in flavour between them.

I admit that my palate isn't as refined as many on this forum and other whisky discussions, but I do know what I like and can identify major tasting notes and smoothness between various whiskies.

My taste in whisky seems to reflect my taste in music. BIG SOUND. Any John Bonham fans here? When I first discovered Laphroaig several years ago I thought to myself that this is like Bonham in a bottle. But I enjoy diversity and do apprecaite and crave the more subtle lowland drams and have many favourites from the Speyside region.

I'm also a photographer and recently launched a food photography blog to document my adventures with whisky and food. You can check it out at http://www.whiskyandspice.ca.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan!
I like your approach, your photography, and especially, your connection to BIG SOUND. Having cut my teeth on all the great music of the 60's and 70's, I very much like Bonham, Bruford and Palmer and so many other fine drummers. I too feel that music can be used as an analogy for tasting notes in the world of whisky. Sometimes, it seems easier to equate a complex thing like Scotch to an equally complex thing like music.
SheltieBoy

Postby deepbluereason » Sun May 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi, all, I'm a long-time lurker who finally decided to join in the conversation. I've only been into whisky for about 9 months but I've definitely become an avid collector...in the sense that I like to buy bottles of whisky and store their contents in my stomach.

I guess I'm actually more of a whisk(e)y drinker at the moment. My city just went wet last year and combine that with my location in the heart of bourbon country (maybe 200 miles away from Bardstown and pretty much just down the road from Lynchburg and Cascade Hollow) and the result is a lackluster selection of scotch. I've tried some of the standard "entry" expressions (Laphroaig 10yo, Glenfiddich 12yo, Speyburn Bradan Orach) and a few blends (JW Green, Black Grouse and McIvor - which, despite it's $12/bottle cost, is actually quite pleasant to drink). Fortunately selection is improving all the time. I've got my eye on a bottle of Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta that I'll probably buy with my next paycheck and I'll throw a party whenever I finally find a bottle of Laphroaig CS.

It's not all bad though. In addition to being able to buy ultra premium bourbon for about half the price of even a decent bottle of scotch there's also a lot of offerings from artisan micro-distilleries that are pretty much only available in this region. I'm particularly enjoying Benjamin Prichard's Single Malt and Corsair's triple smoke single malt.
deepbluereason

Postby pkt77242 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:46 pm

deepbluereason wrote:Hi, all, I'm a long-time lurker who finally decided to join in the conversation. I've only been into whisky for about 9 months but I've definitely become an avid collector...in the sense that I like to buy bottles of whisky and store their contents in my stomach.

I guess I'm actually more of a whisk(e)y drinker at the moment. My city just went wet last year and combine that with my location in the heart of bourbon country (maybe 200 miles away from Bardstown and pretty much just down the road from Lynchburg and Cascade Hollow) and the result is a lackluster selection of scotch. I've tried some of the standard "entry" expressions (Laphroaig 10yo, Glenfiddich 12yo, Speyburn Bradan Orach) and a few blends (JW Green, Black Grouse and McIvor - which, despite it's $12/bottle cost, is actually quite pleasant to drink). Fortunately selection is improving all the time. I've got my eye on a bottle of Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta that I'll probably buy with my next paycheck and I'll throw a party whenever I finally find a bottle of Laphroaig CS.

It's not all bad though. In addition to being able to buy ultra premium bourbon for about half the price of even a decent bottle of scotch there's also a lot of offerings from artisan micro-distilleries that are pretty much only available in this region. I'm particularly enjoying Benjamin Prichard's Single Malt and Corsair's triple smoke single malt.

Welcome deepbluereason. What do you think of the Prichards single malt?
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 pm

SheltieBoy wrote:Hello!
I have been lurking for awhile but finally joined. I also subscribed to the magazine (after purchasing quite a few used copies).
You have a wonderful Forum here! I have learned a lot so far!

Welcome SheltieBoy :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby deepbluereason » Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Welcome deepbluereason. What do you think of the Prichards single malt?

It's really good. It's not smoked so it's reminiscent of an Irish single malt but seems like there's more barrel notes (I think it's aged in new charred barrels) . My early experience with American whiskey was entirely rye and bourbon so seeing non-rye, non-bourbon American whiskeys is nice. Proof that there's at least some innovation and experimentation going on.

But, yeah, Prichards is all really good stuff. The single malt and double-barreled bourbon are fantastic, though expensive. I've not tried their Tennessee Whiskey yet but it's on my list.
deepbluereason

Postby Peter07 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi: I've had an interest in single malt whiskey since the mid 70's when I lost a bet in the officers mess in Chatham, NB Canada. I forget what the bet was about; however, I do remember the not so pleasant taste of my first scotch. Being young and foolish I figured the second one had to be better...nope, no better. Canadians, are forgiving, so, I now will admit to the people of Scotland, after all this time, that my love affair with single malt and especially Islay began that fateful day in Chatham when a fellow officer said "You lose. Drink up". You know what! I'm glad I lost. Cheers everyone. Peter
Peter07

Postby Ganga » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Welcome Peter. You've been at this longer than me. My love affair only goes back to 1994. :) I look forward to hearing more from you. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ASH1874 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi there,

I just joined up today and thought I should introduce myself now as I'd never get around to it otherwise.

The name's Andrew, I'm just the wrong side of 40 (still ouch!) and I discovered the true meaning of whisky around four years ago. We stumbled into the Loch Fyne Whiskies tent at the Connect festival in Inveraray. Before that my experience of whisky had been restricted to occasionally joining my Dad and brother to put the world to rights and ourselves on the outside of the nearest blend that came to hand, plus the occasional Glenfiddich. So the Ardbeg 10YO and 17YO that we tried that night were an absolute revelation - I had no idea whisky could taste like that. Even though festival health and safety rules meant that the drams had to be served in plastic tumblers, the nosing experience was especially impressive - we held on to our beakers and sniffed them all the way back to Glasgow on the bus as I recall. I was already hooked.

Having half-heartedly attempted to acquire some knowledge of wine without success, I was pleased to see that you could build up a reasonable knowledge of whisky in a relatively short space of time. But after a while you realise that you've barely scratched the surface when it comes to single casks, vintage bottlings, world whisky, cask finishes and the mysteries of stills and worm tubs etc. So I am always keen to learn more, yet haven't got round to joining a forum until now.

I'm originally from the English midlands but now live with my partner (fortunately also a whisky fan) in Glasgow. We're both peat heads at heart, but are open to the joys of unsmoked offerings between the intense bouts of phenol inhalation. Sherry casks and finishes - especially at the fino/manzanilla end of the spectrum - are a current favourite.

Thanks for having me on here and I look forward to dramming with you.
ASH1874

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Welcome Andrew. There is an amazing difference in the whiskies. Enjoy your adventure!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ASH1874 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Cheers Ganga!
ASH1874

Postby Adam81 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 am

I am too am new here and would be happy not to be "still" whisky...
Adam81

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 am

Adam81 wrote:I am too am new here and would be happy not to be "still" whisky...

Welcome Adam, I hope you enjoy your time here. :thumbsup:
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 am

Cheers Adam. Hope to see you active here.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby thurny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:33 pm

hi im new here , how do you start a new topic?
thurny

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 pm

Pick a section... and choose New Topic.. -- make it a good one.

Cheers
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Malteriet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi there

I'm Malteriet; a 1981 female whisky enthusiast from northern Denmark. I love traveling in Scotland and am building up a drinkable collection of scotch with my husband who luckily shares my hobby :thumbsup:

I'm very much into Port Ellen, Ardbeg, most things from Blackadder and I've recently discovered the pleasures of rum cask whisky.
Malteriet

Postby AdamMY » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 am

Welcome Malteriet, Sounds like you like Islay whisky! Be sure to share what you are drinking in the What are you Drinking Now Thread. And jump in on any discussions, or start one if you want.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Malteriet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks Adam
i'll try to post some reviews in here now and then. Up untill now I have posted them on my blog but it is only in danish.
Malteriet

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 am

Welcome Malteriet. Good to have you here. I look forward to seeing some of your notes on whisky. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Severity » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello, I am new in here so I decided to introduce myself.

I am Severity and I am quite novice with whisky. I think I have tried about 30-40 whiskies.

Here is a short story of my whisky journey.

The first whisky I have ever tasted was Laphroaig(not sure which one) on christmas eve 6-7 years ago. I still remember the long aftertaste, smokiness and the taste of tar. I liked that taste maybe because my father used to make homemade tar when I was a kid. After that I have gone a long way from blended to blended till my friend introduced me Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Single Malt. I liked the rich taste when comparing to blended whisky, but something important for me was missing. I remembered Laphroiag again, unfortunately it was too tight for my budget. I did some research and I wanted to try some Islay single malt with reasonable price. Bowmore 12 yo was my choise. I got chills. The long afertaste and smokiness were back again. I noticed that Islay single malts are my way to go, but I want to take it slow till I go back to whisky I started with.
Severity

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 am

Welcome Severity. Please ask questions as we are more than willing to help out. And yes it seems you have a fondness for peat. You might like Talisker and Highland Park as well. Benriach, Highland whisky, also does peated whisky as does Ardmore. Hope you have fun with your journey.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby wafrederick » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello,I am Walter and I am 33 years old.I love whiskey and my most favorite is Jim Beam.I have tried thier Devil's Cut and like it.I also like their white lable and Red Stag.I like Crown Royal too,very good whiskey although it is not cheap.Tried Canadian Club too,a very good whiskey also.Love it mixed with Coke aka Coca Cola most of the time.
wafrederick

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:15 am

Walter, a hearty welcome. Please come out and join us with your views on whisky be it bourbon or something else.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TheEngineer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 am

Hi, another newbie here. Been lurking too for a bits but long time forumite in the wine area. I've kept my handle here too (TheEnginee), so you know my profession. Friends have pointed me in the direction spirits in the last few years and have completely enjoyed them, especially scotch, but like wine, I pretty much try everything. I have my fav's but rarely is something declined when offered.

I look forward to reading the posts and occasionally contributing. Please forgive any mistakes that I make in advance, assigned it to rookie mistake or slight over enthusiastic. Currently holding my nightly dram (Ardbeg 10) as I type.
TheEngineer

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:38 am

Welcome to TheEngineer. What kind of engineering? I too am an engineer (civil) and work in water resources. I look forward to seeing more from you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TheEngineer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm an Electrical Engineer working on the infrastructure side. Thanks for the welcome!
TheEngineer

Postby Blinkythecat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 am

My name is jeremy-2nd day as member and am very impressed by what I see so far. Bowmore is what hooked me to scotch,really it was that small round hip flask in the gift set that did it. But enjoying that bottle made me go out to explore what else I could find. I have an obsession for Bowmore ( currently open-25,18,15,12, 1992 cask strength ,10y/o tempest and legend)but the others open that I find enjoyable 12 dalmore,12 auchentoshan,10 ardbeg,1994 Glen Garioch and 16 GlenGrant. I also collect/invest and will soon list that in the collectors corner. I should mention my three cats and one lady - they are my main group I enjoy my drink with.looking forward to learning more on the subject of single malt whisky!!!
Blinkythecat

Postby Ganga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:14 am

Welcome Blinky. My introduction to Islay was Bowmore. :thumbsup: Started with a sampler set of the Legend, 12, 17 and 21. Fire away if you have any questions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby iainf88 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Everyone!

My name is Iain, I live in Glasgow. Relatively new to whisky drinking and the associated appreciation. I feel I am spoilt for choice living here in Scotland so I'm looking for advice and education in all things blended or single malted.

slàinte!
iainf88

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Welcome Iain. We're glad to answer any questions you may have. And yes, it's good to be spoilt. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby joshZie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 am

Hi All,

My name's Josh. I'm 23 and have been into whisky for about a year. I mostly drink malts, but enjoy all sorts of whisky. I'm finishing grad school presently and will be making a big move soon for my job.

Oh, I also started a review blog a little while ago http://joshziewhisky.blogspot.com/. Let me know what you think - I'm always looking for advice!

Cheers!
joshZie

Postby NovaNova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Ahoyhoy,
I'm Matt. Been heavily into whisky (mainly single malt scotch) for about 6 months, still wet behind the ears, will appreciate any advice or help!
NovaNova

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:35 am

Welcome Matt and Josh. We're here to help with any questions you have and we look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Burtynathan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi All,

I'm new (ish) to the world of whisky, obviously been drinking it for some time however have decided to progress my like for the wee dram and start collecting interesting bottles limited edition/exclusive bottles. The trouble is I'm an opportunistic soul and quite like the idea of collecting whiskies that will grow in value :D

Does anyone have any advice for someone starting out, I appreciate it's a how long's a piece of string question but thought it might start an interesting thread!
Burtynathan

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 am

Welcome!

As for collecting, it's a difficult thing. You have to predict what distillery is going to be popular down the road or get a particularly sought after bottle before the prices take a big jump.

Port Ellen is a sought after closed distillery. However, the prices are expensive just to start out at. 15-20 years ago, the distillery was closed but not as sought after. Littlemill is now closed but the question is whether people will be seeking out Littlemill in 10 years or not.
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder