Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Samuel B » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 am

Hello all,

My name is Samuel and I've started to drink malt whisky only very recently (about 2 months ago). Although I had been a drinker of whisky for some time, only now I'm doing it more seriously.
I've joined a single malt club (SMC) here in Portugal to have guidance through this world of malt whiskies, and so far it has been a great help. I'm sure that in here I'll get the same help.
I've began to by single malt whiskies only from the brands I've know. The result was only speyside whiskies, LOL. After a whisky dinner, promoted by the SMC, I was told to buy other whiskies from the different regions. This is an example of the help and advice that, I think, some of us, the beginners, need. This will help us to develop our art knowledge and perception.
Hope to hear from you again, and by my whisky profile you can see what I've been drinking.
Thanks and regards,
Samuel Borralho
Samuel B

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:35 am

good to have you here Samuel. Feel free to ask away. We'll try to come up with useful answers to the best of our abilities. Have you had your first Islay yet? If not you are in for quite the surprise.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Samuel B » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Ganga wrote:good to have you here Samuel. Feel free to ask away. We'll try to come up with useful answers to the best of our abilities. Have you had your first Islay yet? If not you are in for quite the surprise.

Hi Ganga, thanks for everything! :)

Yes I did. The lucky one was Caol Ila 12Y and I must say it's something else. Very out of the standard taste and aroma. Something like medicinal, very unique I must say.

I had some friends in my house and I promoted a whisky taste: Old Pulteney 12Y first, Caol Ila 12Y next and finally Talisker 10Y. The reaction was not so nice towards the Caol Ila, specially after dinking the Old Pulteney that is must sweeter than the Caol Ila, LOL.

Regards,
Samuel
Samuel B

Hello from Canada

Postby Dramsman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello folks,

I'm Canadian, and new to the forum. I hope to learn and share some good knowledge going forward.

I'm a fairly new convert to whisky, turned on to the spirit by the work of Mr. Ralfy Mitchell of Youtube fame. He got me thinking about this beverage, and sure enough, as I few like minded people and I got together, we started taking an interest in quality single malts and blends, and gave up all thoughts of mixed drinks, and instead went straight for the Glencairn glasses. It has been a short, but very interesting voyage so far.

Cheers.
Dramsman

Postby Ganga » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Welcome! What part of Canada? I have family up in the Edmonton area and friends in the Victoria and Kenora areas.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Dramsman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Toronto. I've had Alberta Springs 10-yr Rye Whisky from Alberta, and it was a very decent drop. One of the few unblended rye whiskies that I have heard of.
Dramsman

Postby thespeculator » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 am

Hi guys and gals,

new here and have learned lots from just browsing for the past few months but have many questions to ask and knowledge to learn :)

I moved to Fort William in the Highlands of Scotland from England 6 years ago and have only just got round to starting a collection!!

:D
thespeculator

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Welcome. I went through Ft William back in 2000. Very nice place. Good luck with your whisky collection.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby thespeculator » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Probably hasn't changed much haha
thespeculator

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 pm

thespeculator wrote:Probably hasn't changed much haha

I went through Ft William on my way to going up Ben Nevis. The weather station hut up there hadn't changed much either from the old black & white photos we saw down in the town.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Andyman3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi I recently got into whiskey thanks to my older brother. I like to drink it -- definitely my drink of choice. Now I want to learn about it. What's a good, smooth sipping whiskey for moderate level whiskey drinkers?
Andyman3

Postby jacko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello all my name is john I live in Kingston upon hull in the north east of England
I own about 40 bottles. Some are keepers most are drinkers looking forward to reading and posting in these forums
jacko

Postby beehappy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi All!
I only have one whisky listed in my favourites, which is the sherry-cask 21 year old Glenlivet. My husband, who is the avid whisky lover in our family got a bottle for his birthday a couple years ago. He said it wasn't peaty enough for him, but I loved the fruitiness and lack of spice that the peat adds. So that bottle became mine :)

My husband likes the Islay whiskys and we went to Scotland (spent 4 days in Islay) for our honeymoon. I joined this forum because I want to get him whisky for our anniversary but I'd like to do the research first.
beehappy

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Welcome John and beehappy. We look forward to your questions and contributions on the forums. Beehappy, fire away with your questions. I'm sure someone can give you an answer or two... :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ZacRob76 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but not all that new to whisky. I grew up in Kentucky, so you can draw your own conclusions! :D I now live in Minnesota, where I'm an operations instructor for a nuclear power plant. I realized I had gravitated towards SMS about ten years ago, but I still enjoy a good bourbon every now and then.

My tastes run towards the bigger Islay malts, but there's great whisky everywhere! I'm looking forward to interacting with you all. As I've perused these forums, it seems like most everyone is open-minded and helpful when questions are posted. I always thought of whisky lovers as gregarious by nature, so it's nice to see that belief confirmed!

Skoal!
ZacRob76

Postby AdamMY » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 am

Welcome ZacRob, you are among friends!
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby StudentOfWhisky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello all!

I've had a subscription to Whisky magazine since the beginning of this year but only just got round to getting on to the forum. I want to expand my knowledge as much as I can and it seems like talking to knowledgeable people on here who love whisky just as much as I do is the way forward :)
Over the last couple of year I've got more and more interested in whisky. I went to Whisky Live London in 2011 which made me even more passionate about whisky. Since then I haven't looked back and have tried every new whisky I can get my hands on. I went to the TWE Whisky Show 2011, the first Fisherman's Retreat whisky show this year, and more recently TWE Whisky Show 2012.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people on this forum and sharing our love the best drink man has ever known.
StudentOfWhisky

Postby M.M. Soune » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:45 am

Hello All!

Wanted to say hi to everyone on here.

Have just got back to Europe from a rather lengthy stint, over 3 years, in Asia, mainland China to be more precise, where a good whisky was nowhere in sight. So as you can imagine I am more then ready to start indulging in some drams and starting to build up my collection once again.

Luckily my grandfather is an avid whisky drinker so until my collection is on its feet I'm sure he will b happy to share with his grandson :D Speaking of which I am currently, and rather desperately, looking for a specific SMWS bottling as a surprise Christmas gift for him, have a look here if you are a SMWS member: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18129

All that aside I look forward to not only reading the many interesting topics on the forum, already in the middle of two rather long discussion threads, but also hopefully contributing.

So once again: pleasure to meet you all!
M.M. Soune

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am

I'd like to welcome both of you to the forums. Please feel free to ask away. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby chanson78 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi all, new member from Alabama here!

I have been a big fan of scotch ever since I became intrigued by my parents philosophy on it. "Usually you are the only one drinking it at the party and no one will steal your hooch!"

Suffice to say I have since refined my tastes and have really begun expanding out and trying new (and old) scotches.

Of my tastings so far I tend to stay in the Speyside and Highlands of the Scotch whiskies. Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, MacCallan, Balvenie, but have also dipped into the blends as well. I am looking to start expanding my tastes.

Looking forward to learning about whiskies in general and thanks for having such a great resource.
chanson78

Postby Dammo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 am

Came across the forum & am hoping someone can help me. I am on the hunt for a 2009 Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey. My son did his medical school training at University Cork College, Ireland from 2004-2009. Upon completion of each year he bought a Midleton released that year. Upon graduation in 2009 he was not able to buy a 2009 before returning to the states for his residency in trauma surgery due to it's cost. I would love to complete his collection & am hoping someone can steer me towards finding this gift for Christmas. Thank you.
Dammo

Postby Ganga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forums Danmo and Chanson.

As for finding the Middleton, I would start by searching some of the on-line retailers such as The Whisky Exchange, Royale Mile for the UK or Binny's, Hi Time Wine Cellars for the US.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ukpaulw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 am

Hello,
I'm Paul and i'm a bit shy with just recently joining.

I'll introduce myself... i'm from England (UK), i'm 23, single. My favourite whiskys are Glenfiddich and The Black Grouse. I am very glad to be here :)
ukpaulw

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:51 am

Welcome Paul. Don't be too shy. Feel free to ask for advice. We'd love to share. Maybe we can get you to come out and join us for a dram some time.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ldelucia » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 am

Hello my name is Luciano, I am in Boston Ma and am a big fan of Scotch whiskes.

I look forward to learning more from the fine people on this forum.

I am a big fan of fine cigars as well.
ldelucia

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Welcome. I strongly recommend that you come out and ask questions. A secpmd recommendation is to get involved with the group at Julio's in Mass. They do Wednesday evening tastings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby motorrader » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:00 am

Hello all, new to the forum and the magazine. Testing out my first post.
motorrader

Postby taralt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I am from London and new to the forum, and have been drinking single malts for the last four years or so. Recently I have become much more interested in trying new malts and widening my collection (although on a reasonably tight budget! :) ).

Talisker 10 year old will always hold a special place in my heart as the malt that introduced me to single malts, but I'm also a big fan fan of the Islay malts (Lagavulin and Ardbeg in particular), and a couple of particularly nice speysides.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing the passion and enthusiasm for great whisky!
taralt

Postby Ganga » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 am

A big warm welcome to both of you. Feel free to come out to the rest of the forums and participate. :iwbrnt:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskybride » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Hello! :-)
I'm here... because I know nothing whatsoever about single malt scotch and I'd love to soak up some insight.

:dead:

I'm soon to marry a wonderful young single malt scotch type of guy. He loves Speysides, and his favorite is a Strathisla 12. He doesnt like his scotch too peaty and he's definitely got a sweet tooth... so this is EVERYTHING I've managed to find out subtly for my own purposes. I'm looking for a scotch that will melt his heart, my price range is up to about $150. I was curious about a Strathisla 25, so anybody feel its worth the price or likely to be up his alley?
whiskybride

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 am

Welcome whiskybride. I think you have a wonderful question but I would suggest that you start a thread under Questions & Answers as I think you are likely to get more responses.

My experience with Strathisla has been pretty good but I have not tried the Strathisla 25 from the distillery. Some other thoughts for sweet whiskies: Macallan 18 (Olorosso sherry version not Fine Oak). Glenfarclas 17, 21, 25. Balvenie 17 Doublewood. These are big on the sherry sweetness so think caramel, nougat kinds of flavors. Highland Park 18 yo would also fit but it does have a touch of smoke (peat). Lochnagar (sometimes Royal Lochnagar) is what I call a "candy" dram. Butterscotch flavors. However, it is not very common and you would likely need to find independent bottlings (Signatory, A D Rattray for example).

Where are you located? I might be able to point you to a store.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MakingMemories » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 am

Greetings everyone, trying my first whisky two days ago I was compelled to discover other varieties, sampling Scotch, Irish, and Canadian. Lo behold, I have fallen in love with the scotch, which has lead me here. Have a happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
MakingMemories

Postby Ganga » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 am

Welcome! Hopefully, you'll spend a little time with us here. We're more than happy to offer help and suggestions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby antihero » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:39 am

Evening, all.

Curt here. I'm the guy from www.allthingswhisky.com. I read the forum, buy every issue, but usually spend all my time with family, work and my own site. Just wanted to come chat though. So...hellos from Calgary, Canada.

C
antihero

Postby Stinkyplum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi,

A few years ago I founded a whisky society with a few friends (all from Sheffield, mostly fathers). Every two moinths we chip-in for a more expensive bottle than we'd usually buy and spend the evening drinking it, and chatting.
It started as a social thing, but we've all been surprised how our tastes have changed and developed over the last couple of years, and how our love of whisky has grown.

We also have occasional "field-trips" to the whisky tasting evenings at The Blake - an amazing whiskey pub in Sheffield.

My favourite whiskies (so far) are Caol Ila, Aberlour a'bunadh and (most recently) Balcones Brimstone.
Stinkyplum

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder