Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:19 am

Welcome Curt and Stinky! :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby kriera » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi there! just wanted to introduce my self, my name is Kilian, i'm from Barcelona, Spain. Used to drink from time to time Macallan, but recently wanted to know a bit more about whisky and discover more flavours and tastes.

Bests!

K
kriera

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Welcome Kilian. :thumbsup: Hope to see you in here asking questions and commenting about your own experiences.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:00 am

Ganga wrote:Welcome to the forums mlawrenson. From where do you hail?

James lawless I worked in the glen mhor distillery Inverness for 11 yrs now retired fiddlers arms great pub etc etc .
Gunslinger

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am

I am aged 69 retired and live with my wife Cathy I have 2 grown up children son is an artist lives in Edinburgh my daughter lives in Warwick I have 3 grandchildren.
Gunslinger

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:04 pm

:lol: cheers every one don't forget to visit the fiddlers arms on your travels Great pub etc etc .
Gunslinger

Postby Ganga » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 am

Welcome gunslinger!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Rimjim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:11 am

Good morning!

I'm Rimjim from North London. Relatively new to the Whisky world but already fairly obsessed!
Rimjim

Postby Ganga » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:19 am

Welcome! I see you've been floating around the forums a bit. Please continue to do so. Would love to see what you think about the drinks you are having and more than willing to provide some comments to any questions you have.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mzporto » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Hello Sirs. Just joined today. I'm a big fan of single malts, specially Islay ones. I'm from São Paulo, Brazil, which is a big disadvantage, since the market here is completely taken by blended - and specially cheap - whiskies.

However, in the last 1-2 years, I've noticed an increase in the variety of single malts available to us, and have been able to buy most of my favorite basic whiskies from the shelves of brazilian stores. Hopefully, sometime soon, we will have access to whiskies such as Lagavulin and higher-end Glenmorangies (I have these bottles, but bought them when travelling).

I also have a very small collection of scotch, basically, the bottles I stumbled across and that I believed were too good not to be acquired, and too rare around here to be drunk. In the collection, my favorites are Octomore 5.1.169, Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix and 18YO Special Reserve (gold bottle), Lagavulin 12YO 2004, a recently acquired Macallan Over 25 Anniversary Malt and a Glenrothes Vintage 1985, which was Distilled 10 days after I was born.

My favorite whiskies are (not in order) Lagavulin 16YO, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Glenmorangie Signet, Glenfiddich 15YO, Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or and Octomore, which I had the opportunity to taste a dram in the store I bought my bottle.

I'm really interested in learning more about whisky and also about collecting them, such as: which whiskies are worth collecting and which are worth drinking, which will become valuable with time and which won't etc. I'll be following the forum on a weekly basis!!

See you guys.
mzporto

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Welcome! I look forward to seeing more of your contributions (I just finished reading through your posts). Whether or not I agree with your thoughts, I do believe you did a very good job of expressing yourself and your points are very defensible.

As for your question about collectible vs. drinkable, much of the collectible is very drinkable. :shock: The other thing to look at is closed distilleries. Port Ellen and Brora closed in the pre-1985. Any new releases are 30 years old and command a high price from the start. Only worth collecting if you really have the funds at this point. A relatively new comer in this category is Littlemill. Generally speaking it has been looked upon unfavorably but I have found that the single cask entries from independent bottlers are much better. If you have time, go look up the Archive Littlemill bottling at WhiskyBase. One of the other things you can look for are limited releases from well established distilleries such as Macallan, Ardbeg, Springbank. If you want to build your collection and have stuff to try, buy 2. :thumbsup:

And as always, please ask questions. We're glad to share.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby awesome7 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:46 am

:angel: HI ALL IM SEBASTIAN FROM WORLD OF WHISKIES BEING TRYING AND WHISKIES SINCE 9 YEARS.SO WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR AND DISCUSS ANYTHING ON SINGLE MALTS.
awesome7

Postby SuperT » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Hey everyone! Just joined after having an eye opening experience with Scotch (long story).

I'm a national sales manager for a software company and reside in the Carolina's with my wife, 2 boys and dog. Look forward to chatting and learning from you all!
SuperT

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Welcome Sebastian and SuperT. I look forward to seeing your questions and following your whisky journey.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mcmalty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Greetings all,

I've been lurking on here a while and finally decided to take the plunge and register 'cause :iwbrnt:

I've been an enthusiastic whisky fan for the last few years, and I'm always looking to broaden my horizons with folks more experienced than me!
mcmalty

Postby Alvinthethird » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello all, Alvin here hailing from Chicago- I'm a creative: Artist+DJ+Designer
I'd say my whisky journey started with a trip to London a couple of years ago- a friend took me to the Salt bar there, and during a afternoon of smoking hookah/shisha and eating lamb, I ask for a recommendation and the server brings out the Balvenie 12y DW. This last year I have really started to dive in more, attending tastings, and learning which of my friends are whisky fans as well. I even co hosted a tasting on the beach during 4th of july- I hate beaches but love whisk(e)y!

a few favs: Balvenie- 12y DW, 14y CC, 21y PW | Redbreast 12y | Talisker 10y | Nikka from the Barrel | Blanton's Single barrel

looking forward to learning a lot on here!
Alvinthethird

Postby bredman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Alvin. :D
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Welcome indeed!
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:24 am

A very warm Welcome Alvin. Since you are in the Chicago area, I recommend you visit Binny's. You should be able to find some interesting whiskies there to explore and if you have questions about some of the offerings, fire away.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Curt and Stinky! :thumbsup:

He may be impolite and have poor hygiene, but there's no need for abuse.
Willie JJ

Postby jrstout89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm

I just found an appreciation for whisky and this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Joe and I'm currently living in southern California. My wife has always liked different whisk(e)y but after having a bad encounter when with them in my young and wild days I managed to avoid them for around 25 years.

Around 6 months ago I was looking in the cabinet for something to drink and came across a Macallan 12 with a couple fingers worth left in the bottle. I poured a dram and sat down with it, took my time sipping it and fell off the wagon. Ever since then I've been trying as many as possible.

So far I've sampled from Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, Glendronach, Glen Morangie, Glen Livet, Macallan, and Balvenie. Not many in that list that I've actually disliked. Next on my wish list is an Aberlour.

Thanks for the site and a lot of interesting reading.
jrstout89

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Welcome Joe. At some point you should look to find others with an interest and you can exchange samples. If you are in the LA area, you might consider looking into the LA Scotch Club too.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby linny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 am

Hello ladys and gents, im from Australia. My old man brought me up on blended scotches before beer, so I've always gone back to it... last couple of years I have been distilling and have moved to all grain. But to learn and appreciate the art, I trying to research and see what connisourers think and say. I prefer single malts and at least 12 year's aged. Always willing to learn more

Cheers Linny
linny

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Welcome Linny. I've found that I started out that way. Over the last 20 years, my tastes have expanded to a point where I enjoy any good whiskies be it single malt, blend or whatever.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Ganga wrote:my tastes have expanded to a point where I enjoy ... whatever.

Those are wide tastes indeed. :wink:

Welcome Linny :)
Willie JJ

Postby linny » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks guys .... just wondering if you can post any links of good reading of reviews ... at the moment i read wikipedia, forums and the distillers page to see the history of the liquor to sort of replicate recipes and flavours... A master distiller is an art form and not a science. but like a musician trying to play a song , i too like to break down the flavours and try to replicate them :D
linny

Postby Wes B. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 am

Hi guys! I'm a Milwaukee-raised beer and whisky aficionado. I joined this forum to broaden my perspective and expand my knowledge in regards to the massive world of whisky. As far as my whisky preferences go, I enjoy mostly bourbons and scotches, and I'm always on the lookout for something new and exciting!
Wes B.

Postby bredman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:13 am

Welcome aboard Wes. :D
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Welcome Wes.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:33 am

Welcome Wes. Good to see you out on the forums.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby keith10284 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 am

Hi all,

My name is Keith, I'm 30, I live in Essex and I love single malt whisky! My two main faves are Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10 which I absolutely love. I like a beer as much as most, but you just can't beat a decent malt! I'm actually a bit of a malt purist as I wholeheartedly believe that aside from a dash of water, (if that's your preference) a decent whisky should be left well alone!

But now my opinions are out of the way & before I do too much babbling, I'd just like to say it's lovely to be here & if anyone wants to chat, drop us a line, I don't bite!
keith10284

Postby Allmans1825 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Hello to everyone!

I'm going by the username Allmans1825, being from Bandon Co. Cork, Allmans were one of three recorded distilleries in the town but realistically the only successful one long term. While I am a consumer of whiskey and have a few old bottles tucked away for posterity my main interest is Irelands social, commercial and industrial heritage in relation to its various drink industries. My collection of advertising and packaging which spans an accumulation of over thirty years currently reflects how the various companies marketed and sold their products at home and abroad. Rather than just collect I also research their history (which at times can be arduous given how little exists about some of them) and try to compile an historical biography of each one in turn.
Collecting like whiskey is something to be shared, so if I can help anyone with an historical matter of an Irish concern I will help as much as my knowledge permits.

Slainte. :D
Allmans1825

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 am

Welcome Keith and Allmans.... Hope to see you participating in the forums.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jezca » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:22 am

Trust me to make a dick out of myself and go straight for the forums asking stuff and responding THEN finding an 'introduction' forum...sigh...

Hi I'm Jess I live in New Zealand. I am a bar manager and have just found an underlying passion/obsession for whiskey. I want to know anything and everything..but mostly taste it all!.. :D

Because I have driven my boss crazy with 'whiskey' talk over the last few months I thought I'd go find a forum, learn more and share stuff with people who appreciate my new found hobby :)

...Jess...
jezca

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:01 am

:lol: Who hasn't stuck their foot in their mouth? :thumbsup: Welcome!
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder