Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby manelrebelloa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Well, I have registered today! I'm Manuel (Manel for everybody) and i'm portuguese!
I am 22 years old, so quite new to whisky and although trying to get more knowledge and experience with lots of different whiskys..... it's next to 0 compared to most of you!!!!

My first encounter with whisky was probably when I was 16 or so... since at that age we could only drink beer and wine legally, it was a short encounter.

Only a few years back, when I was 19 or so I started appreciating it. However, I have no intentions in being "Academic" on the matter, I see it more of a companion to enjoy (but still, with respect)

I have posted today! in the 'Questions' section. about which could be the more suitable Islay whisky for me, since I only have tried Laphroaig so far!

I have still no answers, but i'm hoping to hear from you all.
Best Regards to you all, my friends!
manelrebelloa

Postby Ganga » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Welcome Manel. I will go searching for your question and see if I can't kick-start the conversation.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Mikkis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 am

Hi everybody!
My name is Mikko and im from Finland.I am 27 years old and i've been intrested about single malt whisky for about 6 years now.My favourites are from Islay(especially Laphroaig!).Im also fan of ice hockey team Detroit Red Wings.
Mikkis

Postby Aldo Aldo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Greetings,
My name is Aldo and I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area in the United States. I oversee the operations of a disaster/catastrophe response and recovery company that does large loss. I have a passion for sports cars (own a Z06 corvette and a lexus sc430), Motorcycles (own a hot rod hog Harley heritage classic), guns (favorite is a smith and wesson 357 with 2 inch barrel, 6 shot revolver) and cigars which I recently gave up due to quitting smoking (had a 1500 count cigar collection).
I've been enjoying the education process of whisky, mostly scotch. I know have about 12 bottles. Most recently (2 days ago)_Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC10 I've obtained a few bottles of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC10 and PC6 I have yet to taste. I had a dram of PC7 last week I very much enjoyed. My go to has been Royal Salute 21yr for the last few years but I'm expanding now. I of course have others which I can discuss later.
I look forward to joining your community
Aldo
Aldo Aldo

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Welcome Aldo. There are a few good folks about in the Bay Area. Please come in and ask questions. We were all new at one point.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dimmer switch » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi! I'm here because I enjoy whisky and I like to learn about it.

I was abducted by aliens once, quite a number of years ago, and I was subjected to a number of strange experiments. People never believe me - they think I'm joking, so I won't labour the story. Anyway, when I was returned to earth I had an inexplicable, new, craving for whisky and started to try different malts in particular. Before my abduction I had never drunk whisky. I think I have been fitted with some kind of data transmitting device and the range of sensations I experience whenever I drink whisky are being relayed to another race of beings. I think we need to unite in a global strategy to protect the earth's supplies of whisky before the planet is attacked and all of our whisky reserves are taken away.
:insane:
dimmer switch

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:11 am

Like the intro! :thumbsup: Welcome.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Bsewell1856 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 am

I'm here for a little help. I love the glennlivet 15 & 18 Also glennfiditch 18. Johnnie blue was good. Only had twice but not as good as the glennlivet IMO. Glennmorangie nectar and sherry weren't that good to me. Haven't tried the original. But I would like to get some insight on the next bottle to buy. Suggestions please!!!
Bsewell1856

Postby Ganga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 am

First, welcome. You would likely get a better response if this was posted in another section such as Questions.

Consider choosing the Livet Nadurra. I think it is better than the 18. Have you tried Fiddich 15? what about Fiddich 15, 102? I prefer both of those to the 18.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby patricksparis » Thu May 15, 2014 2:13 am

hi my name is donal and am proprietor of Patricks Le Ballon Vert irish pub in paris , france. i started an irish whiskey collection last october and it currently stands at about 250 different irish whiskies which i believe is the largest in the world. i am always looking to add some! cheers
patricksparis

Postby Ganga » Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 am

Welcome Patrick. no idea if that is a record as I know some individuals with quite large irish collections. then again, it may be for a pub/bar. Come out and join us for some discussion.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby guvner67 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:15 pm

Hello all, I've joined a couple of weeks before taking my father on a Speyside trip. I'll endeavour to keep the forum up to date where it may seem necessary with regard distillery news.

I'm Sussex-based and looking forward to my first trip north of the border in more than 25 years.
guvner67

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

Welcome to an interesting bunch of folks who gladly share helpful tips and advice. You will definitely enhance your whisky journey by keeping in touch with the forum members. If you have an opportunity, try to join in on one of the live tastings that Ganga presides over from time to time.

Glad you decided to come aboard.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Welcome Guvner.... Indeed it will be interesting to see how your trip with your father goes. Enjoy.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby findchivas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:24 am

Hello all,
Im a new member to these forums, & my motivation for joining is simple, I am a fan of Chivas Regal whiskies. Recently I discovered I was missing a 700ml bottle of blended 12yo Chivas Regal in its cardboard box, given to me by the godparents, in 1995 for my sons christening in the same year, which we all agreed at the time would be held over until his 21st birthday in 2016. From what I can trace back over the years I can only think it must have gone missing in a house move some years ago. Some may say, "just go purchase another to replace it" but if my memory serves me correctly the bottle was date stamped for the year of 1995, and to have anything but a proper date stamped bottle just, would not be the same. If there is anyway anybody can help me out here, perhaps with a spare bottle eg, you would be helping out a fellow whisky lover, and I would be indebted for life, thank you in advance.
findchivas

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Welcome. I wish you the best of luck in finding a bottle with the date stamp.

If you are unsuccessful in your endeavor, I will give you an alternative. Consider a single cask single malt distilled that year. You might even be able to get something distilled during the month of the christening.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bevoggi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 pm

:D Hey everybody,
I love the bottled beverage, you know, and I joined here to find out more about my favorite bottle beverage. :mrgreen: So many blends, so many flavors from everywhere. Glad to be here.
Cheers and Bottoms Up! :smoke:
bevoggi

Postby scotchirish » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Might as well introduce myself, though I have already been posting.

My name's Paul and I've only been enjoying scotch a short while. But boy am I enjoying it! Can't see how anyone could be more enthusiastic.
Have tried around 15 offerings now, and so far enjoy the Highland Park 12 the most. :thumbsup:
However, just ordered 5 samples from Masters of Malt . . . all Islays!
Can't wait to try them. Just tried out my new 'Glencairn' glass last night as well.
What a perfect whisky glass. So enhances the experience.

I've been patiently advised on this site and will continue to post here.
scotchirish

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forums! We are here to help so fire away with questions or let us know what experiences you are having as you explore whisky.

Keep up the enthusiasm Paul and maybe find a friend to start sharing with. That's how I was able to explore back when I first started!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Whiskeyaficionado » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 am

Hi Whisky Lovers.

I'm Trevor & Live in Auckland New Zealand.
I've started a Video Review just for Fun on Youtube.. Learning as I go & sharing my exp....

I'd love to here any comments on how to improve etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWEd5D ... v7D9nD5PYw

Subscribe & come along with me just for the hell of it..

Trevor
Whiskeyaficionado

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder