Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and cigars: a perfect match?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Yes
59%
No
31%
Maybe
11%

Total votes : 114

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:05 am

Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:35 pm

The cigars over power the senses, hence the Dalmore Cigar Malt, a stronger dalmore to fight through the fog of the cigar!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:44 am

I should preface my comments by stating that I'm a militant non-smoker.

Cigars, and smoking in general, are known to affect the palate and reduce a smokers sense of taste.

What is the point of spending money on good malts, where we aim to appreciate all the nuances and delicate characteristics that the master distiller puts into the product, only to fail to capitalise on these features with a dulled and smoked-out palate?

Furthermore, how can you honestly attempt to appreciate the nose of a fine malt when all you can smell is cigar smoke.

If you want smoke, drink Ardbeg! :lol:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby mickblueeyes » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:33 am

Yes cigars affect the palate. Yes you will lose some complexity when you drink whisky and smoke. However, environment also affects the palate. I don't think any of us sit in sterile rooms when we are relaxing with a whisky. If you are tasting a malt for the first time, or adding it to your personal tasting notes, forgo the smoke. But if you are relaxing after a hard day's work or with friends, light up.

As an avid smoker and amateur taster, I make sure I have a clean palate before tasting. I avoid meals prior to tasting. I also brush my teeth (with non-mint, baking soda and peroxide toothpaste) about 1 hour before I taste. I usually sip on a nonwhisky beverage and plenty of water to loosen my palate prior to tasting. I prefer to taste in my at home office with the window open and fresh air circulating. This has yeilded the best results for me.

However, I am an avid cigar smoker. So when the friends come over for routine evenings of whisky enjoyment, we all light up and enjoy the complentarity of whisky and smoke. Just as there are malts for heavy cigars, a light cigar will complement even the lightest of malts. I have routinely enjoyed a nice woody, creamy cigar (such as Ashton, Davidoff or even slightly heavier Montecristo #4 with malts such as Dallas Dhu or Linkwood. The complementarity of rich tobacco and sumptuous malt increases my enjoyment and, thus, relaxation. I find nothing wrong with this practice, and though I am no expert, have not found it to affect my palate in the least.
mickblueeyes

Cigars and Whiskey

Postby fleetus » Thu May 27, 2004 7:10 pm

Tastings need not be a laboratory experiment. As with many activities, sometimes we lose sight of the reason we do this in the first place, for our own enjoyment! If you enjoy the mixture and feeling of cigar smoke and whiskey, who am I to tell you it is incorrect? I understand the interest in asking a polling to get a feel for the consensus, however, I cannot understand why anyone would feel compelled to explain why cigars and whiskey is right or wrong.
fleetus

Postby JimHall » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:57 am

Admiral wrote:I should preface my comments by stating that I'm a militant non-smoker.

Cigars, and smoking in general, are known to affect the palate and reduce a smokers sense of taste.

What is the point of spending money on good malts, where we aim to appreciate all the nuances and delicate characteristics that the master distiller puts into the product, only to fail to capitalise on these features with a dulled and smoked-out palate?

Furthermore, how can you honestly attempt to appreciate the nose of a fine malt when all you can smell is cigar smoke.

If you want smoke, drink Ardbeg! :lol:

Could not agree more "that type of smoke" cannot be good for your olfactory sensors.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby richard » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:22 am

i havent had a cigar in ten years gave it up a well as cigarettes i anm of the opinion the two dont go together but if you enjoy it so what but to me they work against each other

if i am out drinkinkg say lager or guiness i dont mix either with a malt or blend you still have the taste from what you were drinking earlier i try to give my self a break and clean my mouth with a water
just my opinion

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:36 am

Cigars definately add to the experience of a good dram.
Ya roll your own and don't use any tobbaco; inhale deeply and hold for effect.
When the room starts to spin counterclockwise drink more whisky.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder