Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky purchases how much do you normally spend

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Whisky purchases how much do you normally spend.

Poll ended at Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 am

Under USD$70/GBP45
41%
Over USD$70/GBP
59%

Total votes : 34

Whisky purchases how much do you normally spend

Postby dramtastic » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 am

Reading some recent postings I am curious to know the opinion of members in relation to the economic considerations of what they puchase. Is it reasonable to assume that because a whisky costs two, three, four hundred dollars or more that it is a better dram? Is JW blue at AUD$250 by virtue of its price better that Talisker 10 at AUD$73?(just an example).

Here a bottle of Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" costs around triple the price of a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Is it 3 times better? Am I missing out if I can only ever afford the latter?

I generally buy whiskys in the AUD$50-$100 range because thats what I can afford(barely). Are most members in the same boat or do the majority not worry about price? Is it the experience of the members that spending big on a malt is almost always worth the money over something cheaper.

I guess I'm one of those who finds joy in my whisky drinking with more budget conscious purchases,(with the very occassional indulgence).
Oh and I've personally been happy with what I can afford.

So do you normally spend over or under USD$70/GBP45 on buying whisky.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Whisky purchases how much do you normally spend

Postby LagaDrinker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I don't think you can generally say that more expensive whiskies are better. Its all a matter of personal taste.

Also as C57 pointed out some are just expensive because collectors want them.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 pm

I entirely agree with the previous two posts. Whisky is priced according to supply and perceived demand, not on quality. I've drunk plenty of expensive rubbish and, on the other hand, constantly been delighted by inexpensive drams. Price is not an indicator of quality.

Of course I'm not saying that there are not magnificent old, or rare drams, which cost a lot of money, but the price is no way to identify the good ones.

I tend to buy cheaper whiskies as a rule, but the queue of bottles is so long that by the time I get round to drinking many of them they look a lot more expensive. :roll:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Most of my purchases are around $100 AUD. If I could afford it i'd probably spend a little more to buy more 18yo or older whiskies but the average cost would always be brought down by wonderful regulars like Aberlour, Ardbeg, Laph, Laga, 'farclas etc.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby lisa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm

dramtastic wrote:Here a bottle of Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" costs around triple the price of a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Is it 3 times better? Am I missing out if I can only ever afford the latter?

Of course I agree with all previous posters but where I live "Lord of the Isles" is now more than FIVE times as costly as Uigeadail which sort of makes LOTI in your place seem more attractive. Thus all in the eye, mouth and mean of the beholder.
lisa

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Like many others here, I can't (any longer, at least) pigeonhole my purchases into an above-or-below-a-certain-amount category. It all depends on my view of the bang-for-buck criterium, which may include both relatively inexpensive and rather expensive whisky choices. That said, no matter the cost, I certainly DO search out good value!

Collector57 wrote:In short, don't buy on price. Sample if you can or go by reviwers who you know have similar preferences to yourself, then decide if you're prepared to pay the price.

Wise words.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 am

I don't have a whole lot of money. Plus I am trying to buy a house soon. I would prefer to have a nice collection in my own home, but I can't afford it. For now, I have a couple nice drams, occasionally, at the bar. My answer (<$70 US) is strictly economical, and not one made lightly.
bankerjoe

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 am

bankerjoe wrote:I don't have a whole lot of money. Plus I am trying to buy a house soon. I would prefer to have a nice collection in my own home, but I can't afford it. For now, I have a couple nice drams, occasionally, at the bar. My answer (<$70 US) is strictly economical, and not one made lightly.

There are plenty of excellent choices available in the US for less than $70. Don't get hung up on price. Experiment a bit and you will probably develop your own personalized list of economy weeknight go-to scotches and higher end weekend ones too. The fun is in discovering them (both the expensive and cheap ones that appeal to you) and learning how truly personal your tastes are.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am

The Third Dram wrote:Like many others here, I can't (any longer, at least) pigeonhole my purchases into an above-or-below-a-certain-amount category. It all depends on my view of the bang-for-buck criterium, which may include both relatively inexpensive and rather expensive whisky choices. That said, no matter the cost, I certainly DO search out good value!

Collector57 wrote:In short, don't buy on price. Sample if you can or go by reviwers who you know have similar preferences to yourself, then decide if you're prepared to pay the price.

Wise words.

speaking of good value - i got a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism for $65 today, normally runs around $90 by me...made my day.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby bankerjoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
bankerjoe wrote:I don't have a whole lot of money. Plus I am trying to buy a house soon. I would prefer to have a nice collection in my own home, but I can't afford it. For now, I have a couple nice drams, occasionally, at the bar. My answer (<$70 US) is strictly economical, and not one made lightly.

There are plenty of excellent choices available in the US for less than $70. Don't get hung up on price. Experiment a bit and you will probably develop your own personalized list of economy weeknight go-to scotches and higher end weekend ones too. The fun is in discovering them (both the expensive and cheap ones that appeal to you) and learning how truly personal your tastes are.

I know that there are plenty under $70 USD. However, there have defintely been a couple I had at the bar that would be nice to buy for home consumption, but I can't afford the bottle. I guess it doesn't really bother me; worse things have happened.
bankerjoe

Postby Ganga » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 pm

I purchase at so many levels that it is hard to classify based on the choices. Most of what I buy falls into more the $50-100 category which provides some excellent whiskies. That said, there are some really good whiskies for under $30 too. I have two criteria that I use (not necessarily together). Is it good value? Am I curious enough about this whisky?

My last purchase was two bottles: Glendullan 12 at $25 and OMC Glenrothes 19 at $80. Criteria: good value, or at least perceived good value. Prior to that was the Oban 18 for $125. Absolutely purchased because of curiousity.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:44 am

I have bottles in my cabinet that run from about $30 to over $700, so I guess you could say I spend what I feel like spending - within reason. If I had to, I'd guess that my average purchase falls in the $70-85 range, or $100-135 if I'm feeling flush.

I remember a time not too long ago that I agonized over a $150 bottle of Irish; when my wife started bringing home $200-300 bottles of wine, I opened up a little bit - I figured I'd get a lot more mileage from a good bottle of whisky than I would from the wine!!

Okay - geek alert - I just pulled my spreadsheet and did some figgerin'

46 bottles, average cost $87, so I guess my gut instinct was correct. . . :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby michaelsheldon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 pm

...whisky is taxed to death here in Ontario....better bang for your dollar south of the border and don't forget the internet....on we go!
michaelsheldon

Postby Giovinetti » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:52 pm

I voted for over $70/GBP 45 because I am afraid that a number of nice bottles I buy will be gone forever and I won't have the chance to taste them otherwise except at an even higher price.
Giovinetti

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Giovinetti wrote:...I am afraid that a number of nice bottles I buy will be gone forever and I won't have the chance to taste them otherwise except at an even higher price.

In almost three decades of purchasing whisk(e)y, I've witnessed (apart from the odd, very slight and momentary dip) steadily increasing prices. Of course, a portion of this rise can be attributed to the effect of inflation. But even taking this into account, some serious 'spikes' have occurred as regards both old favourites and more esoteric bottlings.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:31 pm

My purchases are all over the map but many are impulse purchases of items not available in the US or recommendations from people on these boards.

Ideally, it would be great if you can get a sample of the whisky to try beforehand. Knowing the many "enablers" on this board, that should not be too tough to do... :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 pm

"Enablers"

Hee hee hee!!

8)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm

I also keep my whisky purchases below $100 per bottle, with only one exception, a Bowmore 18 at $119 (CAD) but that was disappointing and I won't be buying it again.

If someone rich suddenly dies and leaves me all their fortune, I doubt I'd spend much more than what I currently do per bottle.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Giovinetti » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:27 pm

The Third Dram wrote:.....But even taking this into account, some serious 'spikes' have occurred as regards both old favourites and more esoteric bottlings.

Exactly. Several years ago I lost out on buying a couple bottles of my favorites (Balvenie 21yo and the Glenlivet 21 'Archive') because of the sharp jump in price. Given this experience, I now often will spend spend $70+ so as to grab them while they are still in my price range.
Giovinetti

Postby robenim » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:If someone rich suddenly dies and leaves me all their fortune, I doubt I'd spend much more than what I currently do per bottle.

Well, if someone rich dies and leave me his/her fortune I would buy some old Single Cask Ardbeg bottles which are now out of my reach...
robenim

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:31 pm

robenim wrote:Well, if someone rich dies and leave me his/her fortune I would buy some old Single Cask Ardbeg bottles which are now out of my reach...

I find that Ardbeg single cask at £399 for a limited cask of 150-250 may just may be acceptable, but £399 for a single cask limited to 500+ i'll pass. I've passed on everyone anyway.

Spending on purchases varies and depends on whether its drinking or for the collection.

Drinking on the whole is £50 tops, very rarely if a whisky is well rated and several people on here tell me to get it then i'll spend a little more, £85 for Ben Nevis Portwood for example.

However for the collection i'll spend a little more probably £100 tops, but very rarely i go a little over this, Talisker Sea Chest this time :oops:
r900p
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder