Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Apart from whisky what do you drink? And your recommedations

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Apart from whisky I like to drink? Plus your recommendations

Poll ended at Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 am

Rum
3%
Bourbon
7%
Tequila
7%
Cognac
No votes
Gin
No votes
Vodka
No votes
Liqueres
No votes
Wine
7%
Beer
23%
Some or all of the above
53%
Something else
No votes
Nothing else
No votes

Total votes : 30

Apart from whisky what do you drink? And your recommedations

Postby dramtastic » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:01 am

So apart from whisky what do you drink?

I have a beer from time to time, usually Stella, Becks, Corona, Sol or whatever the local brew is when I'm overseas.

I'm partial to New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs such as Toi Toi, Oyster Bay and Geisen.

A quality rum like English Harbour 5YO, Mount Gay Extra aged or Appleton Estate can be very smooth and tasty.

But I love top end Tequilas. These are my most underated spirits. Anyone who thinks it's all about lick, suck, sip is missing out. Mexico produces hundreds of types of Tequila of varying quailty and price as well as Mezcal.(100% tequila can only be made from blue agave).
If you are curious my recommedation would be anything from the Don Julio range. I am also in the process of polishing off a bottle of Casa Noble extra Anejo(aged) tequila which is going down a treat. The bottles used to house tequila are often works of sheer artistry as well. My bottle of Casa Noble is made of black porcelain and is hand painted and individually numbered in 18 carat gold. Biggest problem in Australia is the lack of choice(as usual). Next purchase Trago silver.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Apart from whisky what do you drink? And your recommedations

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Besides Whisky I like to drink, wine, beer, vodka, and tequila. I mix it up all the time I don't always drink any of the same. I have a very big knowledge of wine out of the 4. But I know a little about all of them. You sound like a big tequila person and I have a great recommendation for you, Jose Cuervo Riserva De La Familia, it is an aged tequila and it resembles whisky in many ways in my opinion. Maybe you can find it with your minimal selection.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby bankerjoe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I suppose I should have voted for some or all of the above, but I am actually a beer drinker who dabbles in whiskey.

US craft brews, and brews from around the world. Can't get enough.

I do like wine, but know barely enough to get by, just what I like and what I don't like.

I just started getting into tequila as well, but that has proven difficult in this state (PA).

Question - Why is bourbon part of the survey? It too is a whiskey, no?
bankerjoe

Postby Rob B » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:59 pm

I enjoy a G&T or a Horse's Neck (Brandy and dry ginger). Cider is a favourite as is a pint of Guinness or Smithwicks.

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby rtp3 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 pm

What do I normally drink besides whisky? Well, a little bit of everything ...

Wine - Having been at an Oxford college, I have had a lot of wine over the last few years, but I favor sparklings (esp. quality Champagne, my favorite bottle is Drappier Millesime Exception 2000 ... when you can find it) and sweets (this is really the fault of the wine steward at St Cross b/c she also has a thing for pudding wines and always has great ones around). Plus, we always have a bottle of port around for those times that you want something with some cheese or just in general after a meal.

Beer - Anything local and strong ... so, when I am here in the UK, some of my favorites come out of Hook Norton. In the USA, I like to visit the Capital Ale House, see http://www.rtp3.com/blog/801. In addition, I really enjoy Belgium beers, esp real lambics - like http://www.cantillon.be/.

Rum - Just like with whisky, the best ones are the craft-made and well-aged ones. My favorites are Bermudian ones, especially Goslings. We also keep a bottle of Jamaican Rum Cream ... like Bailey's but better! When I visit a cocktail bar, one of my standards is always a Mojito.

Vodka - With juice or in a mixed drink for the nicer ones ... almost always have a bottle of Stoli in the freezer.

Tequila - Used to drink a lot of it at home ... but not as much here because it is harder to find and more expensive.

Cider/Perry - When I can find really good ciders and perrys, I will always have a pint.

In short, I will try most any type of alcohol at least once and off the top of my head, there is no type of alcohol that I won't drink! :dead:
rtp3

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I will VERY occasionally imbibe Vodka, Gin and/or Cognac, though I usually prefer Armagnac, Spanish Brandy or Aguardente over the latter.

All of the other beverages listed are on my more regular menu, though.

Beside Scotch (be it blended, vatted pure malt or single malt), I also like Irish, Japanese, American and Canadian whiskies.

And I also try to maintain a wide range of Rums in the liquor cabinet.

As to wine, there's a bottle open on the dinner table practically every evening at our place.

I'll consume more beer during the summertime, but still prefer a chilled white wine.

Living in Quebec, cider and - in particular - ice cider are easily available, and attractive options. We have many excellent local producers!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Apart from whisky I usually drink a variety of ales, Rum and also Calvados. I'm also fond of Akevitt/Aquavit (only the ones from Norway) and on occasions I will drink wine. I'm very fond of dry fino style sherries and Rieslings aus Deutschland.
Mr Fjeld

Postby dramtastic » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 pm

bankerjoe wrote:
Question - Why is bourbon part of the survey? It too is a whiskey, no?

I did Um and Ah over that bankerjoe as obviously whisky mag lists and reviews bourbons. But there seems to be a lot of members who distinguish the bourbons they drink from the whiskys they drink and may even have a preference for bourbons. Then again maybe I've read it the wrong way. I personally find a reasonable difference in the taste bourbons and whiskys and am not that fussed on the bourbon style.
dramtastic

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Next to single malt whisky I'm also a big fan of Rum and drink it neat with a Pepsi on the side. Some of my favorites are Mount Gay Extra Old, Pyrat XO Reserve, Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year and Flor de Caña.

I keep a bottle of Vodka in the freezer for an occasional blast, Grey Goose is my only real love there and to a lesser extent beer (ale/whatever) with an occasional Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock, Smithwicks or a St Pete's Cream Stout.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:15 am

I drink wine on occasions but can't really appreciate it as much as whisky, I find little depth of flavour or variance between bottles making it less enjoyable than whisky. As I have a sweet tooth I usually go for German wines.

I am becoming a big ale fan, I recently became keen on Warwickshire Beer Co's Falstaff. I bought three 20 pint kegs of various Warwickshire Beer Co's ale over Christmas, for the old man and I, they lasted 10 days, not bad. I'll never forget when picking them up, the brewery owner said to us both "enjoy the party" to which we said "What party?".

My favourite ale so far has to be Copper Dragon's Scotts 1816.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby RogerB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:56 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:Besides Whisky I like to drink, wine, beer, vodka, and tequila. I mix it up all the time I don't always drink any of the same. I have a very big knowledge of wine out of the 4. But I know a little about all of them. You sound like a big tequila person and I have a great recommendation for you, Jose Cuervo Riserva De La Familia, it is an aged tequila and it resembles whisky in many ways in my opinion. Maybe you can find it with your minimal selection.

This is an excellent Tequila, as is the Platino variant.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 am

I will definitely have to try the Platino, I have never head of it until you just told me about it.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby RogerB » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 am

scotchdrinker wrote:I will definitely have to try the Platino, I have never head of it until you just told me about it.

It's just the Blanco version of the Family Reserve, but it's really nice.
Another Cuervo Tequila that I really enjoy is the 1800 Anejo, and that's very reasonably priced. I also have quite a few other tequilas in my bunker that I could recommend if you're interested.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:50 am

Whisky? Is this supposed to mean scotch whisky?

I drink several different varietals of wine, beer but more along the lines of ales, tequila-as stated can be just as satisfying as SMSW, rum occasionally, mixed drinks-doesn't everyone need that guilty little pleasure, Irish whiskey, bourbon, rye whiskey, Japanese whisky, etc. Basically, I want something with an enjoyable palate. What's that exclude, Vodka?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:38 am

scotchdrinker wrote: Jose Cuervo Riserva De La Familia

Yes I can buy this and have previously read great reviews on this tequila. I will definately order a bottle at some stage.

The place I can get this from has a special on the Trago range of tequilas, silver, reposado and anejo, all half price. From my readings Trago is relatively new player on the block and is operated by the son of Don Felipe of El Tesoro Tequilas which are extremely highly rated(all 90 plus scores on tequila.net). All three of the Trago range are multiple Gold medal winners at the San Fransisco World Spirits Awards and by the International Review Of Spirits. I have purchased all three for less than one bottle of the Reserva De La Familia. Happy Days!! :thumbsup:
dramtastic

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:29 pm

RogerB wrote:
scotchdrinker wrote:I will definitely have to try the Platino, I have never head of it until you just told me about it.

Another Cuervo Tequila that I really enjoy is the 1800 Anejo, and that's very reasonably priced. I also have quite a few other tequilas in my bunker that I could recommend if you're interested.

I have had the 1800 I like it quite nicely. I would definitely be interested in any recommendations you may have. I love tequila.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I'm very fond of dry fino style sherries and Rieslings aus Deutschland.

Sherry and German Riesling... Two wine categories I quite enjoy. Especially if the wines are from Emilio Lustau, Gonzalez Byass, Von Schubert, J.J. Prum, J.J. Christoffel, Dr. Loosen, Langwerth von Simmern, Hans Lang, etc., etc.

My 'go-to' Spanish Brandy is Torres 20 Hors d'Age, my most consistently poured Rum El Dorado 15YO. Well-liked Bourbons range from Elijah Craig 12YO and Blanton's to Pappy Van Winkle 15YO and George T. Stagg. And when it comes to Irish, I'll always happily 'settle' for a pour of Redbreast 12YO. Lately, I'm also really relishing Crown Royal Cask No.16.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Giovinetti » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 pm

I really don't drink anything other than scotch whisky.* There is enough variety in the whisky world for me that I don't need to tax my liver with much else.

*I am including here bourbon and irish whiskey. Wine doesn't really count as well because here it considered part of the meal. :)
Giovinetti

Postby KenBeau » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:39 am

I'll have a beer/ale on occasion, unless there's a Strongbow on tap.

I became acquainted with tequila before I ever had any whisky, and have enjoyed the El Patron silver, reposados by Cabo Wabo and El Tesoro, and the Herradura Seleccion Suprema is a FINE tequila that to my mind is more like a cognac (although I've never had any cognac).

Sauza's Tres Generaciones Reposado reminded me of a whisky, very smooth, too. :thumbsup:
KenBeau

Postby RogerB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:30 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:
RogerB wrote:

I have had the 1800 I like it quite nicely. I would definitely be interested in any recommendations you may have. I love tequila.

Well these are what I keep on hand at any given time, and I'm always looking at adding new ones. I can recommend any of these without reservation though.

Patron Anejo
Don Julio Anejo
Don Eduardo Anejo
Milagro Anejo
El Tesoro Anejo
El Mayor Anejo
Cabo Wabo Reposado
Cabo Wabo Anejo
Cuervo Family Reserve Anejo
Cuervo Family Reserve Platino
1800 Anejo
Olmeca Tezon Anejo
Cazadores Anejo
Casa Noble Reposado
Casa Noble Blanco
Buen Amigo Reposado
Gran Centenario Reposado
La Certeza Reposado
30-30 Reposado
Corralejo Reposado
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Wow, that now that is what I call a list. I have had some of those or another variation of a given label. But, I really gotta get started trying things. Between whisky and tequila I am going to be a very busy man. Thank you for the list.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby RogerB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:Wow, that now that is what I call a list. I have had some of those or another variation of a given label. But, I really gotta get started trying things. Between whisky and tequila I am going to be a very busy man. Thank you for the list.

And there are a few others that I've tried, but haven't purchased yet that I like a lot too(Tres Generacions Anejo, Herradura Anejo, Corazon Anejo, Conquistador Anejo, and even Cuervo Tradicional). I'm always on the lookout for good tequilas, so if I find anything new and interesting I'll post about it.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby dramtastic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 am

RogerB wrote:

Well these are what I keep on hand at any given time, and I'm always looking at adding new ones. I can recommend any of these without reservation though.

Patron Anejo
Don Julio Anejo
Don Eduardo Anejo
Milagro Anejo
El Tesoro Anejo
El Mayor Anejo
Cabo Wabo Reposado
Cabo Wabo Anejo
1800 Anejo
Olmeca Tezon Anejo
Cazadores Anejo
Casa Noble Reposado
Casa Noble Blanco
Buen Amigo Reposado
Gran Centenario Reposado
La Certeza Reposado
30-30 Reposado
Corralejo Reposado

RogerB

As mentioned previously the range of Tequilas I can buy are limited. My order of Trago Tequilas has just arrived and my next choice is either.

Casa Noble repo
1800 anejo
Gran Centenario repo

Your choice and why?

p.s I am just finishing my bottle of Casa Noble Extra Anejo. If you ever buy this try it over 3-6 months or so, it just gets better and better!
dramtastic

Postby RogerB » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm

dramtastic wrote:
RogerB wrote:

Patron Anejo
Don Julio Anejo
Don Eduardo Anejo
Milagro Anejo
El Tesoro Anejo
El Mayor Anejo
Cabo Wabo Reposado
Cabo Wabo Anejo
1800 Anejo
Olmeca Tezon Anejo
Cazadores Anejo
Casa Noble Reposado
Casa Noble Blanco
Buen Amigo Reposado
Gran Centenario Reposado
La Certeza Reposado
30-30 Reposado
Corralejo Reposado

RogerB

As mentioned previously the range of Tequilas I can buy are limited. My order of Trago Tequilas has just arrived and my next choice is either.

Casa Noble repo
1800 anejo
Gran Centenario repo

Your choice and why?

p.s I am just finishing my bottle of Casa Noble Extra Anejo. If you ever buy this try it over 3-6 months or so, it just gets better and better!

Hmm, all 3 of those are very nice, but the 1800 Anejo is cheaper(at least here it is), so it does have the bang for the buck factor going for it. I haven't tried the Casa Noble Extra Anejo, but based upon my experience with the blanco/reposado, I imagine it's quite a tasty expression.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:49 pm

As my current inventory consists of;
Cointreau
Passoa
Martini Extra Dry
Sierra Silver Tequila
Cachaca Cold
Havanna Club Anejo Reserva
Crème de Framboise de Bourgogne
Crème de Cassis de Bourgogne
Midori
Bacardi Superior
Bacardi Razz
Bacardi Limon
DeKuyper Triple Sec
DeKuyper Crème de Menthe
Florio Marsala 30 months
Sheridan's
Grand Marnier Rouge
Galliano
Fernet Branca
Branca Menthe
Drambuie
Absolut Blå
Absolut Citron
Absolut Kurant
Absolut Raspberri
Absolut Vanilla
Absolut Pears
Sourz Pineapple
Sourz Apple
Sourz Red Berry
Malibu
Bols Blue
Bols Crème de Bananes
Boulard Calvados Grand Solage
Grönstedts VS Cognac
Mandarin Napoleon
Veccia Romagna Originale Italiano Brandy
Kahlúa
Gordon's London Dry Gin
Molinari Sambuca Extra
Xante Pear and Cognac
Pisang Ambon
Bailey's Irish Cream

I think it's fair to say all of the above.
I also keep lager, bitter, ale and stout. And one bag-in-box each of red and white wine.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Apart from whisky I only drink beer

I do like the occasional wood matured Port thou

As with whisky I try to taste as many different variaties of beer as possible

Some of my favourites are :

Pilsner Urquell - best as bulk unpasteurised, but you have to be in Czech R to get that I belive. FAr superior to any other big lagers imo

Limfjordsporter - A local strong stout with a slight amount of smoked barley and liqeurice. Excellent

Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted. Real Ale cask version preferred

Fullers ESB. Real Ale cask version preferred

LaChouffe and McChouffe. Belgian at its best

Cantillon. My favorite Spontanious brewery by far

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby upright » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 am

We brew our own ale because there are no local ale in South africa and the local lagers are not alway very good. Then again there is nothing like an ice cold Hansa on a hot summers day.
upright
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:35 pm

upright wrote:.......... Then again there is nothing like an ice cold Hansa on a hot summers day.

True - although it's probably different country and different beer :)

Mr Fjeld

Postby Scotched » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm almost as fascinated by claret as I am by Scotch whisky. The best I've had is Chateau Leoville Poyferre which I think is amazing.

Others I'd recommend are:-

Chateau Cantemerle
Chateau Rauzan Segla
Chateau L'Eglise Clinet
Chateau Lynch-bages

One of these days I'm hoping to try a 'First Growth' But they are ridiculously expensive...

Cheers,
Scotched
Scotched

Postby sku » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm

I drink the whole range of whisk(e)y beyond Scotch: Japanese, Irish, Bourbon, rye, etc.

Lately I've been experimenting with aged brandies, mostly Cognac, but also Armagnac and California brandy.

I also enjoy Tequila, Mezcal, Absinthe, wine and beer along with the occasional rum.

I don't really drink white spirits, appertifs or liqueurs.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 pm

dramtastic wrote:So apart from whisky what do you drink?

-Craft beers from Canada, Europe and the USA.
-Rums: Favourites from Haïti, Barbancourt 3, 8...both excellent but I can only get them in the USA. From Cuba: Havana Club, dark.
-Wine, whatever my wife buys. She likes good wines but I can drink anything from Rotgut to Sublime and enjoy it. (For me, wine is a shared pleasure and the social aspect - conversation and laughter - is more important than the quality of the drink itself.)

We have friends who are wine snobs and once, I bought a bottle of cooking wine (in Switzerland) and poured the contents into an empty bottle of SuperCostlySublime wine and served it with the supper I had cooked up.

You should have been there! They still talk about it!

:D :P :lol:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Apart from whisky I drink beer of course. What else should you drink if you live in the country that makes the best beer in the world? Occasionally I drink some English ale (a good friend of mine is a brewer in a micro-brewery in England) but I like our beer better.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:24 pm

johan brugge wrote: What else should you drink if you live in the country that makes the best beer in the world?

Belgium is home to the world's best beers and the world's best fries! I was in Liège last year at this time and was enjoying the sights and sounds of your pretty country.

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:49 pm

You should come to Bruges once. It's a big difference compared to Liège! Much cleaner, nicer and safer. We've got some excellent local beers. If you need a place to stay let me know.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:07 pm

johan brugge wrote:You should come to Bruges once. It's a big difference compared to Liège! Much cleaner, nicer and safer. We've got some excellent local beers. If you need a place to stay let me know.

My wife and I travel to Europe once every year, usually during the summer. Last year we were in Almere, Netherlands and stopped in Liège on a day trip from Maastricht to Aachen where we have friends. We were planning to go to Waterloo, Belgium in June, 2009 but crap happened and we could not go!
:(
So...no European vacation for us this year; we rented a condominium on the beach in Virginia Beach, Obamaland.

There is good beer in the USA...but it can't compare to the brewmaker's art that comes from Belgium.

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder