Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

FAVOURITE JOHNNIE WALKER LABEL

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What's your favourite?

Red
2%
Black
33%
Green
29%
Gold
21%
Blue
14%

Total votes : 141

Re: FAVOURITE JOHNNIE WALKER LABEL

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm

I like Gold but I prefer Green by a bit. I always thought Diaego got it backwards with the two labels. Green is a vatted malt while the Gold includes grain whisky, you would think the Green would cost more.

Gold label has the best nose of all the labels.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The scotsman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 am

Coloured labels wise then Blue but I prefer Swing superior or Premier. :D
The scotsman

Postby bbrownri » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm

I've tried the Red, Black and Gold. I'm looking forward to trying the Green at some point. Of those I've tried, however, I prefer the Black.

I found the Red to be harsh (though I agree with the buzz on some of these forums that it's gotten better lately). I thought the Gold was monotonous: to me, it's all honey and malt, which is fine but I like more complexity. I find the Black to be tasty, complex, good in just about any situation, and reasonably priced.
bbrownri

Postby Doug1937 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:13 am

I just tried my first Gold and I'm amazed...I've never had a scotch with such a deep fruity flavor before. It makes me think of brandy...who'd have ever thought a scotch could taste like brandy? Not me.

Incidentally, I bought a 200ml for $10...that seems like a good price...roughly $35 for a 750ml, and I've seen 750s advertised for a good bit more than $35.
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:47 am

JW Blue is a fine whisky but the price is astronomical for what you get. The Green is the best of the regular bunch (red to gold) for my palate (green and gold are almost the same price here anyway).
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby FERGUS » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 am

JW black is my regular whisky. I always keep a bottle . Its a great whisky for the price, available everywhere.

Last night I have tasted Gold and Blue with a friend of mine but by a big mistake we have tasted the Blue first and unfortunately Gold tasted quite weak after the blue and sort of wasted a nice JW Gold experience.

I believe Gold is a great , complex whisky by itself . Need to forget about last night , give it some time and taste it again.
FERGUS

Postby jazz lover » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Gold.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I thought the question was, which is ones favourite 'JW LABEL.' To which I would say, are they really that different that one would have a particular favourite? Isn't the question a bit like, what's your favourite colour! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby jazz lover » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:12 pm

The Gold color label. :D
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:04 pm

For me the blue color label, I think it has some elegance to it :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby 37degrees » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Haven't had the blue and gold yet, but the Walkers seem to know what they're doing. On the 3 cheapest the pricing fits the quality.

The red one is rough, but sometimes I prefer that to the black, which is smoother and just goes down very easy like people say.

The green is full malty stuff and rightfully cost more than the black, but sometimes I prefer the black over the green.

Sometimes I even prefer the red over the green, but very rarely.

I think the green is quite close to other malts, so the black is probably the essential one, fitting the need for "easy drinking".
37degrees

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 am

For me it is :mrgreen:

The black is also nice, and well known. Also good with ice.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby AVB » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:20 am

If I have the time and the place to fully enjoy it the Blue is the one to have. However, those occasions are few and far between so I go with Green.
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby burnsy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:39 pm

definitely blue, gold, then green (not taking into account $$)
blue is only slightly better than gold

if i were to consider money, definitely gold, green, blue

for those who haven't tried green, you should definitely give it a try
burnsy

Postby lockejn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:01 pm

burnsy wrote:for those who haven't tried green, you should definitely give it a try

Ditto for JW Swing - if I haven't mentioned it before.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby charlano » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 pm

I tried them all except for the blue label which is overprice according to many people. I voted for the Black. I re-tasted black and green last week (blind tasting) and it appeared to me that the black is better. More complex IMO than the green and a little bit more sweet. The green label burns the mouth while the black isn't. When I blind tasted I was sure I was picking the green but my friend told me the opposite. However,the green is still really enjoyable.

I'm wondering if JW uses any color caramel... The black label is darker than the green...
charlano

Postby KenBeau » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 am

A bump for a comatose thread. I've had all with the exception of JW Swing and the hoity-toity Blue Label King George/Crystal decanter, and while the Gold and Green are very nice, and the Blue is very smooth, the Black label is just so right with an excellent finish.

I'm reacquainting myself with some now as a matter of fact :D
KenBeau

Postby hyperfuji » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:51 am

for me, gold. i've tried the green label which was good and the blue but felt it was way overpriced.
hyperfuji
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 am

I think the Green is very hard to beat. An amalgamation of some cracking single malts.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:16 pm

les taylor wrote:I think the Green is very hard to beat. An amalgamation of some cracking single malts.

:iwbrnt: nuf said
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat May 15, 2010 5:23 am

Well, it's been a year since my last post in this thread in which I stated that Green Label is the best. A year has passed, I have downed more than one bottle of Blue and the other labels, and now I can say without hesitation that Greeen Label is the best.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Sat May 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Well, it's been a year since my last post in this thread in which I stated that Green Label is the best. A year has passed, I have downed more than one bottle of Blue and the other labels, and now I can say without hesitation that Greeen Label is the best.

Did you manage to get hold of a bottle of Swing? Worth trying for sure and even better than the Green IMHO.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat May 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Everyone keeps talking about THE Blue. There are three different Blues. Of course, the two unmentioned are even more expensive than the common version. Has anyone tried the George V bottling or the cask strength crystal decanter?

PS. I like the George V label. :P
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby v1p » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:51 pm

1. Blue
2. Gold
3. Black
4. Red
5. Green
v1p

Postby AshDLS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:15 am

I have a particular affinity for Black... the whisky bar I used to frequent in Japan would do all-you-can-drink Black for 1000 yen, or about US$11. Had a lot of crazy nights out on that. Plus it's a decent blend to boot. ;)

My stepfather often buys a bottle of Blue on his way through duty free, but even at the reduced price I still can't justify its worth. If money were no concern I'd probably be jumping between Gold and Black.
AshDLS

Postby JayDie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:31 pm

I've had Red - Black - Green and Blue. Blue was a good dram, but (too) expensive. I think I like Black the most... (price / quality wise).
JayDie

Postby dylan793 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:32 pm

I'll start off by saying the poll itself is slightly flawed in that the green label is a totally different whisky catagory than the other labels, and I feel many people may pick green simply because they prefer a vatted malt over a blend.

Anyhow, without factoring price into the equation, I enjoyed the gold label the most. Whoever it was above who said it reminded them almost of a brandy, I totally agree. There's a lot of fruity creamy flavors/sensations happening that reminded me a lot of brandy. It took me by surprise and I quite enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, the red label presented to me a smell sensation that reminded me too much of a very very cheap U.S. bottled scotch I drank in high school. The taste was much better thankfully, but that odd scent on the nose brought back all the wrong memories.

I find that in the realm of beverage alcohol, consumers expect price and enjoyment of the product to be relative to each other. Some exceptionally old and rare malts go into the blue label. Although I feel that perhaps the makers of johnnie walker are making a top notch product partially for the sake of luxury. How many buyers of the blue label purchase it for the appreciation of the blender's craft, the harmony of malt and grain, etc? Is it a status symbol? I feel a rant coming on so I'll stop.
dylan793

Postby bobby_29 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I am a fan of the Blue, but I would love to give Green a try. I live in Ontario Canada and Green is the one label the LCBO no longer stocks (as of 2008, I believe).

I look forward to getting my hands on some to give it a try.
bobby_29

Postby leomavs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

in brazil prices:
red 75 r$(overrated) teachers 35 r$
black 100 r$ (great price great quality)
green 175 r$
gold 300 r$
blue 700 r$(extreme overrated) :shock:

my vote from black best price you can pay here for great quality
leomavs

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 am

I have enjoyed pretty much all the JW range except Red which I found vile but I've not tasted it in some years so maybe I should revisit it. I've always rated the Black Green and GOld with Gold being my favourite a year or so back but not the Green is tipping it for me. However I've go the cjhance to open a blue of late from a 4x20cl selection pack and I must say I an very very impressed an amazingly massively complex blend ... I can understand the price aspect and it is not a bottle I'd be buying over and over but if people see the 4x 20cl selction pack they should go for it as it comes across as fairly decent value. Contains Black Green Gold and Blue. I need to open the Green and Gold and taste those 3 side.

Favourite is now the blue but I won't be buying it and think the Green & Black will be the main repeat buys.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby drinix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:57 pm

I have a question regarding JW Black.
Is also the grain whisky present in it aged for a minimum of 12 years, or not at all?

Drini
drinix

Postby matteo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 am

Anyone tried the JW Double Black?
matteo

Postby lockejn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:30 pm

matteo wrote:Anyone tried the JW Double Black?

Would love to if it were more readily available.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby 37degrees » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Finally got around to JW gold and blue (Master of Malts tiny samples):

I simply don't get this crap about JW green being superior because it's a vatted malt - not a blend. JW gold tastes like a malt to me. It's fat and oily. It's not "thin" like a blend. If there's grain in it, it can't be that much and then: who cares?

At this moment I can't decide between gold and blue, and there's no green left here, but I believe the difference is not that big. Green is so much cheeper than gold in my part of the world, so it's probably the smart choice, though the black IS a real bargain sometimes.

And yes, the grain whisky also must be at least as old as the age on the label.
37degrees

Postby scotch loving hobo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 pm

I've only had red, black, and blue. I bought something like 1.2 liters (1 liter bottle and a 200 ml bottle thrown in for free) of blue once on an impulse at the Dubai duty free because I figured I'd never have a chance to get it that cheap again. I had a great time drinking it over the following school year, but now that I've had it, I wouldn't buy it again for what it costs. On the other hand, when I run out of black label I restock in a hurry, so that's what I voted for. And it's a great whisky for sharing with friends who aren't as serious about the good stuff!
scotch loving hobo

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder