Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker 10 vs Talisker 18

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Poll ended at Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:12 am

Talisker 10
36%
Talisker 18
64%

Total votes : 22

Postby dramtastic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:12 am

This poll may be a no brainer as It seems from reading recent posts most members prefer the 18.

There is no doubt the 18 is a more sophisticated dram than the 10 but does this make it better. I think in some ways the 18 loses some of the unique Taliskerness by being more refined.

For me the 18 doesn't have the same huge wollup of pepper mixed with the punchy intergration of smoke as the 10, that makes the 10 such singular malt.

I have had a few drams that remind me of the 18 but none so far that remind me of the 10.

The 18 is still one of my top whiskys, but my vote goes to the 10, especially as not many malts hit as hard for the price.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Talisker 10 vs Talisker 18

Postby evanstonwhisky » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:25 am

I can't vote because I've never had the 18 - it's unavailable where I am. The Talisker 10 is very addictive however - the pepper is like carbonation in soda, its hard to drink anything else after Talisker 10 to compete with the strength of flavour. Yum.
evanstonwhisky

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:08 pm

evanstonwhisky wrote:I can't vote because I've never had the 18 - it's unavailable where I am. The Talisker 10 is very addictive however - the pepper is like carbonation in soda, its hard to drink anything else after Talisker 10 to compete with the strength of flavour. Yum.

I am not sure how far you are from Chicago but I found a place online in Chicago that has Talisker 18yo if you are interest. Below is a link to that store. Hope this helps if the 18 is something you really want to get.

http://www.uncorkitchicago.com/buy_wine ... &parent=40
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I voted for the 18YO over the 10YO, even taking the stylistic differences into account.

Yes, the 18YO does rachet down the Skye impact a tad (compared to the 10YO). What it 'loses' in oomph, though, it more than makes up for in terms of complexity and sheer elegance. Who would ever think to describe a Talisker as 'elegant'? Yet there in the glass it undeniably is. One of the very finest single malts it has been my pleasure to taste.

The other aspect of this comparative exercise is the fact that, over the years, I've noted a fair degree of inconsistency in the 10YO. At times, it's seemed 'blanketed' by an overlayer of dullness, while on other occasions it's been at its most fiery, unbridled best. I've never experienced an 18YO that's been less than outstanding, however.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Well I guess I'm the single dissenting voice here but I've never been a fan of Talisker 10 and quite frankly find it a bit nondescript and overrated as far as smoky single malts go. It also has a certain "babypuke" character which I'm not too happy about. There are several better alternatives around and they are all from other islands. It's not a bad whisky in any way but I won't buy more than the one bottle I had a long time ago. And it wasn't very peppery at all - Caol Ila 12 has much more of the peppery quality imo.

The 18 is fantastic though. One of the top 5 whiskies I've tried and I find it as good as other greats such as Port Ellen 3'rd Release, Redbreast 12, Highland Park 18 etc. It's also one of the very few whiskies I've found to have a strawberry-like character. Highly recommended!
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm

For me, the peak in Talisker was the 20/62%. Absolutely fantastic. It is the 18 on 'roids. It's not the spiciness; it's that everything that the 18 has to offer is far more forward and brighter in it's presentation.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 am

Well I'll just fly in the face of popular opinion and say I think I like 10 just a little more than the 18.
I've only had one bottle of 18 but somehow it just wasn't as satisfying as i'd expected. I can't help but like the 10's more robust and distinct character. I'm out of Talisker at the moment and I miss the 10 (I miss the 175 even more) but I just don't miss the 18.
Perhaps i'll try it again, maybe the bottle I tried was a good batch just not a great one.....or maybe my expectations were too high after enjoying the 175.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:06 am

I think the batch variation, especially for that pepper quality and strange sweetness must really be large for tali 10. it would be interesting to compare notes on this forum sometime.

It makes me wonder sometimes, if we are often all just argueing about different whiskys, due to the sometimes large bottle to bottle variation

The Third Dram wrote:
The other aspect of this comparative exercise is the fact that, over the years, I've noted a fair degree of inconsistency in the 10YO. At times, it's seemed 'blanketed' by an overlayer of dullness, while on other occasions it's been at its most fiery, unbridled best. I've never experienced an 18YO that's been less than outstanding, however.

And as mr. Mjfeld said - his was not peppery at all - while mine is HUGE pepper. Its more than tastebuds.
evanstonwhisky

Postby dramtastic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 am

Something I need to mention about my thoughts on the 18. The palate is exquisite, the mouth feel is one of the best and the finish is amazing............... but the nose is real dissapointment.

I don't know many whiskys where the palate exceeds the nose but in the Tali 18 it does. Not because it's a great nose/better palate combo, but because the nose is so relatively weak.

I have a number of drams at home that are a lot better in this respect, including..................... any Islay, Longrow CV, Glenlivet Nadurra, Aberlour A'bunadh and my Clynelish, not to mention the Tali 10!!(all great nose/palate/finish).

So for me, big point deductions for the Tali 18 in this respect.
dramtastic

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 pm

I was holding off on posting my opinions here til after I read some people's replies. I did not vote because I haven't had the 18yo and I have only had to 10yo once. I will say I was not happy with the 10yo when I had it. But, after reading people's posts I am going to go back to it and see if it has changed or my palate has. It has been about two months since I tried it. I will be back with my opinion after I try it again.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Leorin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Well I guess I'm the single dissenting voice here but I've never been a fan of Talisker 10 and quite frankly find it a bit nondescript and overrated as far as smoky single malts go. It also has a certain "babypuke" character which I'm not too happy about. There are several better alternatives around and they are all from other islands. It's not a bad whisky in any way but I won't buy more than the one bottle I had a long time ago. And it wasn't very peppery at all - Caol Ila 12 has much more of the peppery quality.

You're not alone with that opinion, as I feel almost exactly the same way about Talisker 10. I once bought a bottle and never felt the need to revisit. The new Aldelphi Fascadale, which actually is a ten year old Talisker as well, is really good.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby MacDeffe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 pm

A couple of years ago I made a comparison of all 10-12y standard OB and took the average of ratings from Whiskymag, JM, MJ and whiskyfun and Talisker 10 came out no 1

macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Welcome to the forums Macdeffe, interesting stuff, must have taken a while to compile!
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby v1p » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:06 pm

MacDeffe wrote:A couple of years ago I made a comparison of all 10-12y standard OB and took the average of ratings from Whiskymag, JM, MJ and whiskyfun and Talisker 10 came out no 1

macdeffe

Most Whiskymag reviews are very old and almost unusable.

Another good sources for reviews and marks:

http://www.whiskyguild.com
http://www.whisky-distilleries.info
http://www.ralfy.com

And the list goes on...
v1p

Postby MacDeffe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks for the limks v1p, maybe 1 day I make a new up-to-date average, but it is very timeconsuming :sleep:

I made my list in January 2005

It can be downloaded from the danish whiskyforum whiskynyt where I posted it originally

http://www.whiskynyt.dk/index.php?name= ... oad&id=114

1 column is Jim Murray's Bible
2 column is The matrix
3 column is Whisky mag recalced
4 column er M. Jacksons
5 column is the average

Most of the products are exactly the same today as back then... these standard bottlings are..standard bottlings

Some of the reviewers above have changed their ratings, matrix for sure, as its a running average allready. I have also seen whiskymag review the same whisky very different within a short time (same reviewer :D )

I do belive peoples view of these products has changed more than the products themselves have

Even thou the majority (thats my believe) is unchanged, quite a lot of the malts have been relabeled and redesigned. Mainly the lower scoring ones. Most notably BenRiach imho. I know Deanston has been changed - I havent tried the new version

The top five whiskies are all very "traditional" standard bottlings in the sense they have been the same as long as I can remember

Personal I tend to agree by the general pattern shown by the scheme. I really like the top whiskies and don't like the bottom ones particulary

I used to find BenRiach pretty boring, but do like the 12y old the new owners has put out

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm

I can absolutely vouch for the statement that not all "standards" are really standard. The best example is Ardbeg Ten. We tried a flight of 12 different Ardbeg Tens and each was unique. The bottlings were from 2000-07.

Also, Macallan 12 has changed appreciably over the last 10 years.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:10 am

MacDeffe wrote:I used to find BenRiach pretty boring, but do like the 12y old the new owners has put out.

Tremendous transformation here... Benriach counted as one of those 'totally forgotten' Highlanders for eons, most of its product merely destined for the blenders - Chivas in particular, of course. Then Seagram decided to finally market a 10YO official distillery bottling alongside similar releases from Glen Keith, Longmorn and Strathisla. This edition was, well, OK at best.

Amazing how new ownership has revitalized the enterprise!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:54 am

As Will rogers said: "I never met a Talisker i didn't like."

right now I have a 57degrees on the go - a relatively new official bottling, at 57 %.

feels young, nearer a 10. but loads of flavour and spice and pepper that lingers. Frisky whisky for sho'!

And i just detected a bit of Turkish Delight on the fade which is new. Most entertaining - what I'd expect from a cask strength 10, actually!

As for the 18, it's best savoured occasionally, eyes shut...a very classy dram, a refined model you might get to date once in a while, elegant, with hidden depths...a bit serious.

whereas the 10 is yer tomboy. Loads of fun. Not quite so serious...

Has anyone else sampled the 57?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Just for the pepper I voted the 10 8)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 pm

I went back to the ten lastnight after my post to see if my opinion changed. I am still not a fan :yuk:
Have not had the 18 so I have not voted.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:06 pm

evanstonwhisky wrote:I can't vote because I've never had the 18 - it's unavailable where I am. The Talisker 10 is very addictive however - the pepper is like carbonation in soda, its hard to drink anything else after Talisker 10 to compete with the strength of flavour. Yum.

I have an unopened bottle of the 18 I got from Binny's about 8 months ago. Is it gone from there too? :shock:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:46 am

Talisker 10 is what turned me on to smoky Scotch. It is definitely more intense than the 18. However, the 18 has a full, rich, rounded character that I find extremely desirable. After my first glass I declared it the best whisky I'd ever tasted. Thank God I bought some while it was still around. It's sold out right across Ontario, and I'll be damned if it doesn't jump in price when it returns. Highland Park 18 just went up from $118 to $140 around these parts!
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:50 am

Has anyone else tried the new 57degrees?

Nice isn't it? Fresh, and in yer face, but pure Talisker...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I believe the 18 for the money is one of the best value malts on the market. I didn`t used to care for the 10 but have perservered with it. I agree that there must be some amount of batch variation though as the last time i tried the 10 ( finished a bottle recently ) i thought it was very good. Its the peppery side that seems to change between batches more than anything.
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Collector57 wrote:Is there a new release of the 57 then?

I meant "new" as an OB compared to the 10 and 18, and also I believe it's very new to shelves other than duty free, from whence my 1st 2 bottles were obtained.

You know I like it already!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:32 pm

I've not had a bad Talisker yet.
It's all good...
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Did a H2H last night
Talisker 10 (rock box) and 18 yr.
The 18 is dangerously easy to drink.
However the Tali 10 got the prize!!
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 pm

I just noticed your "location" Jazz. :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:55 am

..well I am 3/4 through with the Talisker 18 I bought. Going to have to stick with my original thought that I prefer the 10. The 18 is a wonderfully elegant and smooth whisky, but at the end I keep wishing for more pepper. I haven't had the DE, will hopefully get a bottle of 57 North this summer, but I'd have to go like this for the Taliskers:

1) 10
2) 175th Anniversary (not as much pepper as the 10, but more complex than the 18)
3) 18
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

talisker10 wrote:..well I am 3/4 through with the Talisker 18 I bought. Going to have to stick with my original thought that I prefer the 10. The 18 is a wonderfully elegant and smooth whisky, but at the end I keep wishing for more pepper. I haven't had the DE, will hopefully get a bottle of 57 North this summer, but I'd have to go like this for the Taliskers:
1) 10
2) 175th Anniversary (not as much pepper as the 10, but more complex than the 18)
3) 18

Agree with you 100% Tali10. Almost everyone agrees the Tali 10 is wonderful but it surprises me how many people (especially critics) don't rate the 175th Anni at least as high as the 18.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Talisker 175th was the first full bottle of a higher-end SMS that I ever had. My wife bought it for me on my birthday two years ago. I think it is getting to be pretty scarce. I think Spec's main warehouse in downtown Houston is down to 4 bottles. I need to ask for that again this year for my birthday.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Ganga wrote:I just noticed your "location" Jazz. :lol:

Ha ha that's very good. :D

Of course that's why no one else can find a bottle of the Laga 21 at a reasonable price. Jazz Lover has it all. :P
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Ganga wrote:For me, the peak in Talisker was the 20/62%. Absolutely fantastic. It is the 18 on 'roids. It's not the spiciness; it's that everything that the 18 has to offer is far more forward and brighter in it's presentation.

It's almost irrelevant to talk about it now unless you have a stash or are prepared to pay the £450 :shock: that they now want for it on TWE, but it is by far the best Talisker. Oh for another release like that.
Willie JJ

Postby jazz lover » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Willie I've traded 4 bottles to N.Y
these were only for trading stock
not profit.Oh yes, and for drinking. :wink:
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder