Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supernova - Octomore

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which do you prefer - Ardbeg Supernova or Bruichladdich Octomore

Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Supernova
43%
Octomore
13%
I don't care for either, to young
26%
I love peaty, doesn't matter which
17%

Total votes : 23

Re: Supernova - Octomore

Postby borgom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm just tasting the 0.1.1 for the first time. I wasn't expecting much and I have to say that so far it's delivering even less. I'll reserve judgement for now (especially since I might have burnt out my tastebuds with the Kilchoman 2yo) but i'm wishing I spent the money on a young heavily peated Jura instead. It's not even particularly peaty!!! Most heavily peated whisky ever? Yeah right.....rubbish, pah and humbug with a bit of bullderdash on the side :x
borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:32 am

Ok, so I've read the Octomore tasting notes on other sites and everyone says it's very peaty.
I've tried it again now, with and without water, and there's still no peat. So I try PC6, which I know to be peaty, and there's none there either.
Darn it! My peat receptors seem to be on the blink. Does anyone know of a good method to get them going again?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:45 am

Collector57 wrote:Complete abstention from whisky for at least 2 weeks is indicated borgom :(

Nick or there's the old couple of large drams of Ledaig Nas :yuk: routine, just to get you back to neutral. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:27 am

Abstinence? :shock: NOOOOOoooooooooooo..........!!!!!!!!!!
borgom
Gold Member

Postby sku » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Ganga wrote: Result: I can't say that I prefer either over the other. I'd really like to see the Octomore at a higher proof and both with a few more years under their belt.

You want to see the Octomore at higher proof but with a few more years under its belt? Given that it's bottled at cask strength, how do you reckon they'll accomplish that?
sku
Bronze Member

Postby sku » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Ganga wrote:SKU, the Octomore Futures was not bottled at cask strength. It was bottled at 46% and if recollection serves, under 6 yo. Supernova was at cask strength of 58.9% Both are still young and probably would be very nice at say around 10 yo of age and roughly 50+%.

Thanks Ganga, sorry I missed that you were talking about the futures bottling. Have you tried the standard bottling, which is cask strength (63.5% abv)?
sku
Bronze Member

Postby DukeofSandwich » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:29 am

I thought the Supernova was pretty damn good. The Octomore Futures bottling tasted very young with a solventy nose and a funny off note in the finish. Wish I had bought a bottle of the official Octomore release from the UK when it came out, they decided to jack it up to $180 a bottle when released in the US.
DukeofSandwich

Postby sku » Fri May 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Ganga wrote:Thoughts on the Octo 1.1

Nose: new leather shoes and polish, charred or toasted grains, light solvency, some roasted seaweed
Palate: oily, diesel, charred oak, roasted barley, some iodine
Finish: long, oily, grainy

Having tasted all three now, how would you compare it to the Futures bottling and the Supernova?
sku
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder