Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is 5 AM too early to drink if...

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Is 5 AM too early to drink if you didn't go to sleep during the night?

Yes.
14%
No.
32%
It's never too early to drink.
32%
It's always too early to drink.
No votes
What difference does it make where you are on the planet in positon to the sun?
21%

Total votes : 28

Is 5 AM too early to drink if...

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm

you didn't go to sleep during the night?
Thesh
Bronze Member

Re: Is 5 AM too early to drink if...

Postby SoMK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:34 pm

I personnally consider that my whisky is a reward after a good day of work so.. if the hard work stops at 5 am, so be it..
I really think on the other hand that "it's always time for a drink somewhere on the globe" is tragically close to something that someone with drinking pb could say but that's probably just me :lol:
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm

SoMK wrote:I"it's always time for a drink somewhere on the globe" is tragically close to something that someone with drinking pb could say but that's probably just me :lol:

If you are drinking lead, you should seek professional help.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby SoMK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:47 pm

^ mwaha :)
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 am

Does it really matter what the little hands on the clock say (presuming you aren't digitally inclined)? So long as you are capable of enjoying your whisky, it shouldn't matter.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:49 am

For me it's too early. Even if I haven't slept I find my body doesn't take kindly to alcohol consumption past 2-3am.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Sometimes i like a dram on my first day off when i wake up at about 8am.
I do it because i can and i really appreciate it aswell. The only problem is that if i have a few more then i can`t drive anywhere for most of the day , for instance take the wife shopping etc. Shame pour another one :wink: :P
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Ganga wrote:Does it really matter what the little hands on the clock say (presuming you aren't digitally inclined)? So long as you are capable of enjoying your whisky, it shouldn't matter.

I agree!
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 pm

I flew to the UK for the very first time in 1984 and after a quick nap went down to the local for a pint, it was about 1 pm GMT which would be 5 am back home. With that in mind I concur with the "wherever you are on the globe with respect to whisky" concept, is the right time -be it 5 am or noon or 5 pm.

Do I drink here at 5 am?

In actual fact there have been circumstances where I have done just that. Sometimes at the end of a wonderful evening with friends and sometimes after a long night shift when a drink after work would not be remiss. And sometimes as a nightcap after driving home from Calgary or Toronto nonstop, just to take the edge off. (Calgary is 18 hours away, Toronto 24 hours away.)

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Giovinetti » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 pm

I have only had whisky early in the morning once and that was when I landed at Heathrow and was waiting for a connecting flight. Did manage to scoop some nice bottles at World of Whiskies while they allowed me to sample a HP, Balvenie, and Laphroaig. Usually if I drink in the morning it is not before 11 AM. At 5 the beverage of choice is coffee.

To answer your question: sure, but usually the affairs of the world and family will make good dramming at that time difficult.
Giovinetti

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Ganga wrote:Does it really matter what the little hands on the clock say (presuming you aren't digitally inclined)? So long as you are capable of enjoying your whisky, it shouldn't matter.

Exactly !
I've drunk at 5.30am after a night shift , 6am on a dawn tour of Ardbeg and enjoyed them both ! After all the suns over the yard arm somewhere in the world......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby p_elliott » Thu May 07, 2009 6:53 am

I work the night shift get off work at 6 am so I usually have my first drink of my evening at around 7 am. Seems perfectly normal to me "it's 5 O'clock some where" mostly in my house.
p_elliott

Postby upright » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

As long as you have the day to yourself and there is no need to stop after one dram. Just do it, i would.
upright
Bronze Member

Postby cathach » Fri May 22, 2009 5:36 am

I'd have to agree with you there Ganga, the way you do it is far more important.
Here in Ireland there are a very few "early houses" left, they would open on market days early i.e. at 6am or 7am for the trade and travellers. There was another one in Galway at the docks that had a licence to open when the dockgates were open too. So those that worked and so on, could take a drink or have a bite.

Hunt breakfasts used always start with cold meats bread and whiskey or brandy too.

If you get up at 5am and sit on the sofa in your underpants drinking vodka for 14hrs straight. Well, I won't say it's boring but must be really boring!!!
cathach
Silver Member

Postby I_SPEY » Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am

And so do I.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder