Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Religious objections to your whisky drinking/collection?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Have you experienced any religious objections to your whisky drinking/collection

From partner
No votes
From family members
2%
From inlaws
2%
From friends and/or acquaintances
4%
From others (eg, coworkers, friends of partner etc)
4%
Never experienced any religious objections to whisky drinking/collection
88%

Total votes : 51

Re: Religious objections to your whisky drinking/collection?

Postby Liechtenstein » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:13 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Liechtenstein, I had to laugh when I saw this, as I am actually Catholic and at one time I considered (and to this day still think about it) becoming a priest

:shock: when I read that, I just about choked on my grits & bourbon!* Well...OK this sheds some light on the issue as Catholics usually do not read the Bible, relying on priests & sacrements to cleanse the soul. Still, this isn't biblical and it remains the domain of human religion. (From Reggaeblues' comments, I also think he's Catholic.) Unfortunately, God hates religion.

As for taking the Bible literally, you don't have to. You can make allowances for hyperbole, metaphore and analogy whenever the context allows.

OK...you can go to Mass now while I answer Reggaeblues!

++++++++++

Reggaeblues wrote:Lichtenstein, if the Bible is not about happiness then what is it about?

It reveals the mind of God. It isn't a book on how to be happy, but if God gives you faith you will have joy and peace even in times of trouble.

Reggaeblues wrote:I actually find it does address this. Those teachings I have investigated and taken to heart, and applied, DO work.

You are right, but that is not its primary message. You can focus on a complimentary message and do quite well, but you are still missing the boat (remember the rich young man who wanted to enter heaven?) I sometimes tell atheists that if they want a good life, just follow the 10 commandments and life will be great. And it's true! it works!

Alas, they are still missing the Maker's Mark. (!)

Reggaeblues wrote: I mean, who needs Leviticus? who needs to burn a cow in their front yard to make an odour pleasing to the Lord? It sure as eggs won't be pleasing to my neighbours!

The levitical system came to an end when Jesus was crucified and said while hanging on the cross, «It is finished.» That is why the curtain in the Temple was ripped in two, exposing the Holy of Holies to all.

The only cow you should be burning is on a BBQ!

Reggaeblues wrote:No, It's a springboard to MY understanding. MY walk. 'Cos nobody else can walk my walk, and I am free to take my fuel from whatever pump I choose. If it gets me to my destination...

Wrong answer! God wants you to follow HIS understanding and HIS walk; to take fuel from HIS pump. Your understanding leads to the pit, not to everlasting joy.

Reggaeblues wrote:I saw this sign in a pub:"Beer is proof God loves you!"

Martin Luther - the Protestant Reformer - is actually the person who said this! Luther loved his beer.

Reggaeblues wrote: I discovered through my own experience, and nothing else, that "Word" actually means "Breath". This discovery was validated when I met my wife who has a degree in Comparitive Religion, studied the origins of the Bible, and told me without knowing about my discovery, that in the earliest translations "word " was indeed "breath"!

Yes, you are right. The Bible is the very breath of God, and it gives life, joy, peace.

Reggaeblues wrote: "The other day a girl asked me how she could get closer to God. I said,how can you get closer or furthur to God when He's with you all the time in the form of the Holy Spirit, which is this breath?" I nearly fell off me pew! i thought "At last! A Christian who understands this!" "

Interesting. You can actually live with somebody and share nothing with them...I've know couples like that. «Closeness» is spiritual, not physical.

Reggaeblues wrote: I have a friend ,a "Born-Again Christian" he calls himself, who studies with a Franciscan Monk, who in turn studies Buddhist meditation! My friend said he has learned so much from this guy.

The Bible doesn't say that other «sacred» texts contain no Truth at all. It says that it alone is the truth from cover to cover and that anything different is a lie. Meditation is OK...it just depends on what you are meditating.

Reggaeblues wrote:I have another friend, an Anglican bishop as it happens, who wrote that it is a mistake to offer the judgment that the Bible is the "word of God" until someone has had a chance to read and contemplate the text for themselves...

Fat chance! Most people just get a Bible and put it on their bookshelf. I don't agree with your friend here.

Reggaeblues wrote:I used to love the old Bowmore Darkest. Jim Murray, who wrote the true Bible(if you're a whisky lover) gave it 63 and hated it!

Murray must be a sissy who likes watered-down Lowland whiskies!

:yuk:

*Hot grits, a dash of bourbon and brown sugar. The Breakfast of Christian Champions!
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Never. The answer to your question, blacksabb.

But I believe in the Greek philosopher Aristotle, who described in
322 BC a simple distillation process:
heating, evaporation and condensation of alcohol.
The process was brought westward by the Arabs
and introduced by the Moors in Spain.
Alcohol Distillation was there originally applied
in the manufacture of perfumes and medicines.
Soon one discovered that alcohol from cereals
could be distilled, since the end of the 15th century
in the Scottish Highlands.
In 1823, the burning of whisky became legal.

So, I believe in whisky and Aristotle

ps. I'm a catholic and catholics love all kinds of alcohol :angel:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm

First of all, to all dads I say, "Happy Father's Day!" My family bought me a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate...and a JW Green!

But now , it's "OK guys, I'm outa here!"I think I've developed a religious objection to religious objections!

But not before having a hearty laugh at Lichtensteins "identikit" of me!

So, this is your Angry New-Age Catholic lie-believin' friend RB saying, "Respect, and thanks for the discussion guys, it's been stimulating," and leave you, no judgment, with something I have found very useful these last 30 years.

first of all, L, what it means is "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every BREATH that cometh out of the mouth of God."

JC is just trying to show you where to place your attention, how to focus on the most intimate and fundamental manifestation of your creator - this breath.

Think on this...and this doesn't come from any book! You say grace for the "bread" you savour, but could live two weeks without, but do you give thanks and savour this breath, without which you could not live for 2o minutes?(the current record for breath - holding I believe!)

the perfect meditation is upon the coming and going of this breath, the most constant, kind, loving, joyful, patient, gentle miracle you will ever witness. Your holy Spirit...right under your nose. I have done this in church, racing a car, savouring a Lagavulin, in a traffic jam, and in the silence of my favourite den. If prayer is talkin' to tha Boss, then this is listening to him...

Do this and you will start to understand your Bible with your heart, rather than your head, and will truly understand that the "Kingdom of God is within you."

Ciao! See you over on the "Best A'Bunadh batch!" thread.

...but not before opening that JWG and toasting the joys of fatherhood, my family, and the father of all fathers...

or as they'd say in Harlem, the mother of all fathers. :iwbrnt:

(and BTW, in the last sentence "mother" is only half a word!)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:53 am

Reggaeblues wrote:First of all, to all dads I say, "Happy Father's Day!" My family bought me a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate...and a JW Green!

And a happy fathers day to you.

Liechtenstein wrote:pkt77242 wrote:
Liechtenstein, I had to laugh when I saw this, as I am actually Catholic and at one time I considered (and to this day still think about it) becoming a priest

when I read that, I just about choked on my grits & bourbon!* Well...OK this sheds some light on the issue as Catholics usually do not read the Bible, relying on priests & sacrements to cleanse the soul. Still, this isn't biblical and it remains the domain of human religion. (From Reggaeblues' comments, I also think he's Catholic.) Unfortunately, God hates religion.

Being Christian (or Catholic) or is not about memorizing the bible, it is about your beliefs and your actions. My faith is evident by how I act, the way I live my life. Memorizing the bible isn't what Jesus wanted, he wanted people who lived like him, who fed the hungry, who healed the sick (or in my case since I can't heal, give time and money to hep), and spend time with the lonely. We are called to live like Jesus not to memorize the Bible.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Caledonia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:58 am

pkt77242 wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:First of all, to all dads I say, "Happy Father's Day!" My family bought me a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate...and a JW Green!

And a happy fathers day to you.

Liechtenstein wrote:pkt77242 wrote:
Liechtenstein, I had to laugh when I saw this, as I am actually Catholic and at one time I considered (and to this day still think about it) becoming a priest

when I read that, I just about choked on my grits & bourbon!* Well...OK this sheds some light on the issue as Catholics usually do not read the Bible, relying on priests & sacrements to cleanse the soul. Still, this isn't biblical and it remains the domain of human religion. (From Reggaeblues' comments, I also think he's Catholic.) Unfortunately, God hates religion.

Being Christian (or Catholic) or is not about memorizing the bible, it is about your beliefs and your actions. My faith is evident by how I act, the way I live my life. Memorizing the bible isn't what Jesus wanted, he wanted people who lived like him, who fed the hungry, who healed the sick (or in my case since I can't heal, give time and money to hep), and spend time with the lonely. We are called to live like Jesus not to memorize the Bible.

Sean

Wooo this was getting to deep and complex after a few whiskies, so I just figured that being agnostic I could simply say my belief is Whisky ;)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:45 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Being Christian (or Catholic) or is not about memorizing the bible, it is about your beliefs and your actions. My faith is evident by how I act, the way I live my life. Memorizing the bible isn't what Jesus wanted, he wanted people who lived like him, who fed the hungry, who healed the sick (or in my case since I can't heal, give time and money to hep), and spend time with the lonely. We are called to live like Jesus not to memorize the Bible.

I am in total agreement with what you wrote above.

Jesus also believed in every single word of the Tanach (OT) and implied that every word in the NT to come is true as well. So, by being a helpful guy, you are fulfilling part of the requirement God wants, but you are leaving out the most important: belief.

Liechtenstein wrote:If what you want to be is nice, kind, considerate and gentle, there are plenty of religions who will help you do that better than any of the brands of Christianity. Buddhism, Wicca, Jehovah's Witness, Mormons, Bahai...the list is long!

The only point we seem to disagree over is whether the Bible is what it says it is - the word of God accurately reflecting his spirit - or is not. This is quite significant. Remember the rich young man? he did everything right but couldn't enter heaven. (Mt 19:19, Mk 10:17, Lk 18:18 all recount this story.)

Caledonia wrote:Wooo this was getting to deep and complex after a few whiskies, so I just figured that being agnostic I could simply say my belief is Whisky

Baccus is the god of wine...is Johnnie Walker the god of whisky? Jack Daniel? Jim Beam? anyone care to submit a candidate?

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Caledonia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

i think thats a new poll , the god of whisky !
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:Baccus is the god of wine...is Johnnie Walker the god of whisky? Jack Daniel? Jim Beam? anyone care to submit a candidate?

Caledonia wrote:i think thats a new poll , the god of whisky !

I have other candidates for whisky divinity:

George Dickel
Basil Hayden
Elmer Lee
Benjamin Riach (a.k.a. BenRiach)
George Stagg

Most of these candidates are American...submit your candidate now!

:insane:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:
Liechtenstein wrote:Baccus is the god of wine...is Johnnie Walker the god of whisky? Jack Daniel? Jim Beam? anyone care to submit a candidate?

Caledonia wrote:i think thats a new poll , the god of whisky !

I have other candidates for whisky divinity:

George Dickel
Basil Hayden
Elmer Lee
Benjamin Riach (a.k.a. BenRiach)
George Stagg

Most of these candidates are American...submit your candidate now!

:insane:

I am just going to be on first name terms and call him Glen
:D
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Billy Walker - personal hero.
Michael Jackson - perhaps?
James gordon and John Macphail - pioneers to Single Malts? (arguably)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm

ClubSmed wrote:I am just going to be on first name terms and call him Glen

Glen?

Glen This, Glen That, Glen TheOther...too vague, sort-of Hinduish with the thousands of Glens around.

Caledonia wrote:Michael Jackson - perhaps?

I really like Michael Jackson...but our divinity may be mistaken for the freak in California.

:mrgreen:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder