Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What's the best book on whisky?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What's the best book on whisky?

Postby sbon » Sat May 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello whisky friends!

It's saturdays night and I am sitting in my best chair reading a good book while enjoying a 12yo Bowmore (at 43% export strenght :) ).

When reading (and drinking) a question came to my mind: I wonder what fellox whisky drinkers would consider the best book on whisky? The answer for me is quite easy as it's the book I read right now "Peat smoke and spirit - a portrait of Islat and its whiskies" by Andrew Jefford.

It is extremely well written and I so much enjoy the combination of facts and folklore; one chapter of Islay history followed by a chapter of one of the seven destilleries on the island. Many other whisky books are packed with ensless destillery information and tasting notes which I find boring in the long run. This book differs and is the best I have ever read on the subject of whisky.

So, come on tell us what is the best book you have read about whisky and why?

Slainte (or skaal as we say in Denmark) from Soren
sbon

Re: What's the best book on whisky?

Postby whiskynig » Sat May 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Have you read Raw Spirit by Ian Banks.
Bit of a docu-book, but if you have visited distilleries in Scotland you will be able to relate to him perfectly.
Also, you will probably be surprised at the result, as he is on a quest to find the perfect whisky.
Happy reading. :D
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun May 31, 2009 3:11 am

The giant coffee table-esque book Whisky by Michael Jackson is always a good read, and has enough variety that makes you want to look back upon a certain essay just to clarify on a certain taste category or process.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby O'DubhGhaill » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:46 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of Jim Murray's various books.
O'DubhGhaill

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder