Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best "Basic Balvenie"

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which "Basic Balvenie" do you prefer?

Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10
38%
Balvenie DoubleWood 12
59%
Balvenie Signature 12
3%

Total votes : 29

Best "Basic Balvenie"

Postby pmullin » Wed May 27, 2009 1:48 am

I have noticed several posts that state members' opinions regarding the phasing out of the Balvenie Founder Reserve 10 and the introduction of the new Balvenie Signature 12. And then there's the DoubleWood 12... Which do you prefer?
pmullin
Bronze Member

Re: Best "Basic Balvenie"

Postby Dubois » Wed May 27, 2009 7:06 am

Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 is my favorite
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 pm

I appear to be in the marginal minority here, as I've tended to prefer the Double Wood over the Founders Reserve. However, I'll qualify this personal assessment by stating that the FR has, over the course of many years, seemed the more consistent of these two. I have not, as yet, had the opportunity to taste the Signature.

The DW, when at its best, has always lured me with its orange and Sherry-infused flavour as well as its textural richness. (In this regard, I suppose I fall into the same camp as the late and sorely missed Michael Jackson.) The whisky has also struck me as highlighting whatever minimal peat component (admittedly very subtle) is present in the distillate to better effect than the FR.

Neither the FR nor the DW hold a candle to the 15YO Single Barrel in my books, though.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu May 28, 2009 4:18 pm

I can't vote because I've only tried ther Double Wood but I really love its malty palate. I was surprised that my bottle of SB seemed to lack the maltiness though, is it common of the 15?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu May 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Collector57 wrote:I'm not keen on the Signature.
The doublewood seems to me to lose some of the "cleanness" of the FR, which is my favourite of these three.
My favourite is the Roasted Malt 14yo

I'm with you, Nick :)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm not a big Balvenie fan and the Signature really didn't do anything for me. Between the 12 DW and the 10 Founders, I'd go with the 12 DW but, as Third dram and Lawschool said, I'd rather go for the 15 SB anytime.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 pm

DW for me. I like the "honeyness" I get from the DW. Reminds me a lot of the HP 12 although sweeter and very little smokiness. The Signature did something for me but unfortunately it wasn't positive.

I've had some very nice versions of the 15 and some that haven't been very pleasant. It really shows off the benefits and the drawbacks to single cask bottlings.

I haven't been that high on the various 17s, the sherry being my favorite. The 21 Port (from several years ago) is a very fine Balvenie.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat May 30, 2009 3:54 pm

FR is my favourite. A good reference whisky too.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:26 pm

I like the FR but the DW is not far behind. I think phasing out the 10 yr is a great shame as it shows that there are some quality bargain malts out there to be had. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:12 am

SoMK wrote:I'm not a big Balvenie fan and the Signature really didn't do anything for me. Between the 12 DW and the 10 Founders, I'd go with the 12 DW but, as Third dram and Lawschool said, I'd rather go for the 15 SB anytime.

Pardon my language, but "BING - effen - GO" - I totally agree with this!

That being said (and adding the context of the other thread about whiskies for breakfast), the DW goes quite nicely in tea!

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:44 am

DW for me, though I'm not likely to buy it when I would rather pay the extra to buy the 15 SB.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Interesting that the DW seems to have made some inroads since I first cast my vote. That said, what do I have two spare bottles of in my cabinet?

The 10YO FR. :wink:

Didn't want to miss out on the last of the stock kicking around locally before it all disappeared.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder