Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Black Label or Black Bottle?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Black Label
50%
Black Bottle
36%
Neither
14%

Total votes : 14

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Tried both of these two last night, and after a dram of each, I have a small preference to black label. I was a little surprised since I'm a big Islay fan, maybe this will change after I have more drams of each, but I just wanted to get an idea of which one you guys prefer and why?
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Re: Black Label or Black Bottle?

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi Minnesota,

I've had both of these whiskies many times and find that JWB is more "serious" than the basic BB blend. JWB has a lot of things going for it on the palate as does BB but JWB has this caramel/smoke kick to it that I find quite addictive. The BB is a damn good value though at $18 at Binny's. I wait for JWB when it's on sale for $24 and buy it only at that price. Who says you have to spend $40 for a single Mat when you can get these great blends for around $20? Cheers!

-Pete
tuddy24

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Sorry, there are several bottles between $20 and $30 that I will take over eithe of these. Four that leap to mind are:

Bowmore Legend
Auchentoshan Select
Glendullan 12
Laphroaig 10

Also, many bottles of single malt between $30 and $50 that are head and shoulders above both of these two.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:27 am

Minnesota Malt wrote:but I just wanted to get an idea of which one you guys prefer and why?

back on topic - I liked the black bottle more than the JWB. Not just for the price but for the profile. JWB is a well made whisky, but leans a little bit to the astringent side for me. Now I would much prefer the 10yo Black bottle, but that is a different topic.

In talking with SOI the other day he mentioned that the Black Bottle does contain non-Islay whisky, where the 10yo is an Islay whisky blend. So the 10yo maybe more to your tastes.

cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:50 am

I don't think I have ever seen the 10 yo black bottle in my area. Is it really hard to find?
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby anationonfire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 am

I can't get BB here but its pretty decent (for the 2 drams I had) I think JWB has a little more depth in its contrast, but try and keep me away from any thing peaty.

Not much help I know :D
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

mikeymad wrote:
Minnesota Malt wrote:but I just wanted to get an idea of which one you guys prefer and why?

back on topic - I liked the black bottle more than the JWB. Not just for the price but for the profile. JWB is a well made whisky, but leans a little bit to the astringent side for me. Now I would much prefer the 10yo Black bottle, but that is a different topic.

In talking with SOI the other day he mentioned that the Black Bottle does contain non-Islay whisky, where the 10yo is an Islay whisky blend. So the 10yo maybe more to your tastes.

cheers,

I never knew that! "Carefully crafted with a heart of Islay malts..." it says here. So how big a heart does it have? 1%?? 20%?!?

That's a bit naughty...I always assumed BB was all-Islay. Well, their wording protects them from the "consumer protection" act. Damn! A bit like the word "Porbably" that is used to similar effect in advertising, i.e. "PROBABLY the best whisky in the world..."

Where BB scores for me is as a cheap base for less cheap smoking Islay malts...a few drops of Ardbeg transforms a glass of BB!! works a treat...

But H@H with JWB? Different animals. Different moods IMO.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Black Label by a mile for me... much more flavour profile for a regular blend than the grain dominated Black Bottle for me anyway.

I had a BB for over 6 months and once past half way found I could go no further and never finished it.

Just goes to show how we all perceive things differently.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 am

I had a sample of Black Bottle 10 at Whiskygalore in Christchurch, NZ (great place, BTW!). It wasn't bad at all, but overall I like JWB much better.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder