Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Beer
26%
Wine
17%
Whisk(e)y
57%

Total votes : 35

Re: Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 am

bankerjoe wrote:Whiskey, currently, is a barley based product.

Sorry Bankerjoe, but whisk(e)y can be made from many different grains, such as wheat, corn and rye, and probably many others as well. Single Malt Scotch is made only from barley but bourbon, ryes, and canadian (I am sure I am missing others but don't know) are made from other grains.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:13 am

Caledonia wrote:
ClubSmed wrote:
Caledonia wrote:I am purely just saying that whisky provides a different class of range of flavours in one drink (one single malt for example) rated at about 4 times greater than wine (the 2nd largest range of flavours). One beer doesn't have that depth or range... maybe 10 - 100 might cover the range?

I am confused, is the question about range of tastes in a single glass or about the spectrum of tastes over the range of a drink?

Both sadly ;)

Sorry ClubSmed but Holysinner said that the poll was about across each category, though he was open to talking about both as seen below.

Sean

Holysinner wrote:Well, I didn't mean that, but I'm interested in both questions.

The question I sought to answer with the poll:
If you look at all varieties and producers within each category of drink - beer, wine, and whisk(e)y - in which category would you find the greatest range of flavors and scents?

The question of whether a given glass of one of these types of drink offers the greatest range of flavors is a different one from what I intended to ask, but I'm open to a discussion of that too (though I'm convinced it's whisky!).
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Holysinner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:49 am

Thanks for the contributions from everyone, and I hope this discussion will continue!

I actually find it heartening to see that there's no overwhelming consensus, and there have been great points made in favor of each liquid.
(Liechtenstein, maybe you can elaborate on why Rum should have been included in the poll - I hadn't even considered it).

I do wish I'd phrased the question in a less ambiguous manner, but it's made for an interesting thread anyway.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Holysinner wrote:(Liechtenstein, maybe you can elaborate on why Rum should have been included in the poll - I hadn't even considered it).

OK...off the top of my head:

-Rum can be made from either cane juice or molasses or any mixture of the two.

-All of the countries of central & south america make their own rum, each with cane grown on their own terroirs. These lands, in turn, impart a different taste to the juice/molasses...just like in wine.

-Rum is aged in a variety of casks: used bourbon, new wood, metal and plastic drums into which are added wood shavings...each container imparting a distinctive flavour.

Ultimately, I really don't care which has a greater range of flavours in the glass. I like whisky best.

8)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby bankerjoe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:13 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
bankerjoe wrote:Whiskey, currently, is a barley based product.

Sorry Bankerjoe, but whisk(e)y can be made from many different grains, such as wheat, corn and rye, and probably many others as well. Single Malt Scotch is made only from barley but bourbon, ryes, and canadian (I am sure I am missing others but don't know) are made from other grains.

Sean

Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking. But still, not to just reduce these beverages to their ingredients, whisk(e)y is currently grain only (not counting barrels), where beer is grain based with other things. Just seems logical that beer, by its very unlimiting definition, has greater potential for more complex flavors.
bankerjoe

Postby Minnesota Malt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Aren't we all forgetting about the most flavorful drink of them all?

VODKA :o

Ha Ha... Obviously kidding, but it is interesting that the best Vodka's strive to have the least amount of flavor. :sleep:
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Minnesota Malt wrote: it is interesting that the best Vodka's strive to have the least amount of flavor.

Only a drink which originated in Eastern Europe could claim that it gets better as it gets more insipid!

:yuk:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:56 am

All very valid opinions but beer, really !?! :headbang:
I just can't subscribe to the theory of greater variety of brands = greater variety of flavours.
Then again I suppose it does also depend on how you view subtle variations of the same flavour.
I've had many whiskies that have shocked me with unexpected flavours and challenged what I thought whisky could taste like but I've never had that experience with wine or beer (but I am open to suggestions :) ).
borgom
Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 pm

borgom wrote:I just can't subscribe to the theory of greater variety of brands = greater variety of flavours.
Then again I suppose it does also depend on how you view subtle variations of the same flavour.

My point was merely one of logic, but perhaps faulty logic. Also, I don't care about different brands so much as different methods. Different mashing schedules, different hopping scedules (or use of spices in place of hops, as in sahti), or the use of sorguhm in Africa, different choice of hop formats (pellets, cones, whole leaf). It wasn't an argument though, just a thought to chew on.
bankerjoe

Postby Minnesota Malt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

borgom, you should try a budweiser and then try an irish stout like Murphy's. Huge difference between the two. Also, if you really want to be surprised about what beer can taste like try a lambic style beer (beer that is matured for almost two years in oak casks) from a brewery called Lindemans in Belgium. Not to be confused with the Lindemans winery in Australia.
Last edited by Minnesota Malt on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Wine of course! With several hundred different grapes, the variety of countries producing wine, the difference within each region, the various ways of producing etc, the different categories of wine...........no question about it - it has to be wine. But I like whisky even more :wink:
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks MM, I'll check those out. The lambic style beer sounds like it is quite different.
Any particular recommendations for the Lindeman's? I notice there are a couple of blends, a sweetened version, one with tea added and a few with different fruits added?
Also what's the best vessel and temp for consumption of this style?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:07 am

borgom wrote:Any particular recommendations for the Lindeman's? I notice there are a couple of blends, a sweetened version, one with tea added and a few with different fruits added?
Also what's the best vessel and temp for consumption of this style?

For Lindeman's, I have only had their fruited blends. I have had there framboise (raspberry), pomme (apple) and peach. They are all very good, but defiantly on the fruity side. They usually come in a 750ml bottle (sometimes you can find them in smaller 12 oz sizes) but if you have the larger bottle, I would split it between 2-3 people since it is so rich. It is perfect for a dessert drink.

Serve cool, so anywhere from 40-50 degrees. Any flute shape glass would work the best. Hope you like it, it is different, but good every once in awhile. :)
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:34 am

Liechtenstein wrote: Rum can be made from either cane juice or molasses or any mixture of the two.

-All of the countries of central & south america make their own rum, each with cane grown on their own terroirs. These lands, in turn, impart a different taste to the juice/molasses...just like in wine.

:oops: I hope I'm not being too anal about this but there are very few places where terroir makes sense with rum production in the Caribbean area. Most local sugar cane producers have gone belly up and the remaining have problems even selling their sugar. That's the reason why most rum producers source their molasses from other places - in most cases meaning Brasil. Cachasa producers in Brasil and Rhum Agricole from Martinique are the exceptions simply because they use sugar cane juice - which has to be cut locally because once the sugar cane is cut it has to be pressed and fermented within 24 hours or bacteria will make useless.

Ultimately, I really don't care which has a greater range of flavours in the glass. I like whisky best.
8)

:thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld

Postby bankerjoe » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:58 pm

Minnesota Malt wrote: Also, if you really want to be surprised about what beer can taste like try a lambic style beer (beer that is matured for almost two years in oak casks) from a brewery called Lindemans in Belgium. Not to be confused with the Lindemans winery in Australia.

Please note that lambic is also spontaneously fermented. That is, it is not innoculated like normal. Natural airbourne yeasts and bacterias are responsible. Lindemans is okay, but if you really want to experience lambics, try Cantillion, Boon, or Hanssens.
bankerjoe

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:43 pm

You'll never convince me that there's a drink that offers more variety than whisky...unless of course, you mention TEA!

How many different teas are there out there, if you count fruit teas, herb teas, gren teas, root teas, good old "British Rail" teas etc?

Think I'm due a cuppa right now. Hard a long hard weekend gigging. this is my Lazy Sunday...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:29 pm

There are very compelling arguments for each of the drinks. I doubt that there will be any definitive answer though but I am really enjoying the debate
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:You'll never convince me that there's a drink that offers more variety than whisky...unless of course, you mention TEA!

How many different teas are there out there, if you count fruit teas, herb teas, gren teas, root teas, good old "British Rail" teas etc?

Think I'm due a cuppa right now. Hard a long hard weekend gigging. this is my Lazy Sunday...

Perfect argument and im all in agreement :)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby AdamMY » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:19 am

Reggaeblues wrote:You'll never convince me that there's a drink that offers more variety than whisky...unless of course, you mention TEA!

I agree with TEA! but root, fruit, herb and anything else made from anything other than Camellia Sinensis, is not really tea, and is a tisane.

Its like calling whiskey :lol: "brandy" :lol: might be same method of production/preparation but the terms imply different things.
AdamMY

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:05 am

Mr Fjeld wrote: I hope I'm not being too anal about this...

Nope! It's always a pleasure to learn something.

Mr Fjeld wrote:there are very few places where terroir makes sense with rum production in the Caribbean area.

There! I learned something. And your explanation makes sense.

Thanks!

:)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 am

AdamMY wrote:

I agree with TEA! but root, fruit, herb and anything else made from anything other than Camellia Sinensis, is not really tea, and is a tisane.

Its like calling whiskey :lol: "brandy" :lol: might be same method of production/preparation but the terms imply different things.

Aha! Just to take my turn at getting anal here ( and anal-yse your response!) just as "Uisquebaugh"(spelling?) derives to "whisky" would "tisane" not be the origin of "Tea?"

Just a thought. Right now I'm drinking a cup of blackcurrant tea/tisane with honey. Nice way start the day...following a final sip of Abundah I found in my glass by the computer! :iwbrnt:

Hmm. What would you call THAT if I added hot water to it?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 pm

When was it that glenmorangie sent a sample to the perfumier in Paris?

As they discovered several hundred different flavours...more than any other drink given to them. ;)

If a manly perfumier says so = its got to be true ;)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:46 pm

How d'you know she was manly?

Women are better nosers IMO anyway!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:57 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Aha! Just to take my turn at getting anal here ( and anal-yse your response!) just as "Uisquebaugh"(spelling?) derives to "whisky" would "tisane" not be the origin of "Tea?"

Just a thought. Right now I'm drinking a cup of blackcurrant tea/tisane with honey. Nice way start the day...following a final sip of Abundah I found in my glass by the computer! :iwbrnt:

Hmm. What would you call THAT if I added hot water to it?

You know you put me up to it so I looked into it. the word tisane actually comes from the latin ptisana from the greek ptisane, literally crushed barely, from ptissein, to crush--which actually means tisanes are much closer to beer and whiskey than tea.

But don't get me wrong I too have thought the words were so similar that there must be a link between them.

And for thoroughness, I looked up the etymology of the word tea also. which comes from the Chinese de. Which is interesting as I've always known the Chinese word for tea to be Cha, or at least thats what I believed.
AdamMY

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:02 am

Caledonia wrote:When was it that glenmorangie sent a sample to the perfumier in Paris?

As they discovered several hundred different flavours...more than any other drink given to them. ;)

If a manly perfumier says so = its got to be true ;)

Do you mean the leading Parisian perfumer (Christian St Roche) who sometime in the 80s (I think), identified no less than 26 individual aromas in Glenmorangie (Original), from apricot and bergamot to cinnamon and quince.
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

That does sound more realistic... as i just read.

Rumour at work said a few hunderd, guess thats what happends after 20 years :)

http://www.hotwhisky.com/2008/11/glenmorangie-whisky/

THere area always going to be discussions about this, is there any way to actually prove anything?
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:47 am

Caledonia wrote:That does sound more realistic... as i just read.

Rumour at work said a few hunderd, guess thats what happends after 20 years :)

http://www.hotwhisky.com/2008/11/glenmorangie-whisky/

THere area always going to be discussions about this, is there any way to actually prove anything?

Nah! Women just exaggerate!! :shock:

Go on, slap me...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:05 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Women are better nosers IMO anyway!

Actually, it isn't just your opinion, it's a fact. (Generally speaking of course).
bankerjoe

Postby Caledonia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

bankerjoe wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:Women are better nosers IMO anyway!

Actually, it isn't just your opinion, it's a fact. (Generally speaking of course).

With the exception of every person on this forum that is ;) 8)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I am still having trouble with this one
Wine can be made with so many different types of grape and also by most other fruits and some veg too
Beer has such a vast range and can also have other things added in from fruit to chocolate and beyond
Whisky can be finished in theory by a cask that has housed any of the above though a lot of the above will not have been kept in a wood barrel

It is all very confusing!

I am still going to enjoy trying as many of the different types of the above as I can though.....

:?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:40 pm

ClubSmed wrote:I am still having trouble with this one
Wine can be made with so many different types of grape and also by most other fruits and some veg too
Beer has such a vast range and can also have other things added in from fruit to chocolate and beyond
Whisky can be finished in theory by a cask that has housed any of the above though a lot of the above will not have been kept in a wood barrel

It is all very confusing!

I am still going to enjoy trying as many of the different types of the above as I can though.....

:?

Bearing in mind similiarly alot effects whisky and this is all i can remember just now:

water makes a difference, peat, grain types (similiar to grape), length of mash, fermentation, temperatures, cut-offs, condensors, still shapes, wash, amout of yeast
and of course

length of the maturation, as mention above different casks, age, % of whisky, then for each normal (not single cask) there could be so many casks used, grains, each cask different and each marriage of these casks could produce different results, blends similiarly, % of grain/malt, malts + grains used...etc.etc.etc i could go on

oh and for comparison the number of casks stored by Diageo alone at Blackgrange is roughly 5,000,000

This can be said for other spirits too , just thought id mention it here , apologise if someone has done this before? It seems trivial to mention it on this website but im suprised we dont all have the same biased view that whisky is far superior :P
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Beer has a wider range of styles. Beyond that, you are arguing about whether there are more shades of orange than of green.

It amazes me how often a long, involved argument hinges on semantic points. Once you define your terms precisely, the argument disappears.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: It amazes me how often a long, involved argument hinges on semantic points. Once you define your terms precisely, the argument disappears.

That's the most sensible argument in this thread so far!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:21 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote: It amazes me how often a long, involved argument hinges on semantic points. Once you define your terms precisely, the argument disappears.

There are no definate terms as there is no proof...its a discussion based on each others opinon.

There is no evidence to back each drink up without the recognition of the actual number of vineyards/cognac produces/distilleries/breweries?

Beyond that its all personal taste and opinion..even a perfumiers, by which he only noses and doesnt taste.
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Caledonia wrote:There are no definate terms as there is no proof...its a discussion based on each others opinon.

I beg to differ! Terms can be very definite if one cares to define them:

Definite: ...having distinct or certain limits; determinate in extent or character: LIMITED, FIXED <~dimensions, size> ...marked by the absence of ambiguous, obscure, doubtful, or tentative, and by certain and clear statements or expressions by means of flat positive assertion, careful statement of limitation... - Merriam Webster Dictionary

Defining terms is extremely important! As Mr TattieHeid and Mr Fjeld said,

Mr Fjeld wrote:

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder