Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Beer
26%
Wine
17%
Whisk(e)y
57%

Total votes : 35

Re: Which type of drink has more variety of flavors?

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:48 pm

Lol fair enough...

The poll states the terms, you choose which term you believe and the rest is for discussion . I stated that I believe whisky to carry a far greater depth and range of flavours than the other drinks available in this poll.

This i could not prove.

However i disagree with other people opinions purely because there are many many more vineyards or breweries does not mean to say that these drinks carry a far greater broader range of flavours.

Hence the discussion?

No?
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 am

Caledonia wrote:The poll states the terms, you choose which term you believe and the rest is for discussion . I stated that I believe whisky to carry a far greater depth and range of flavours than the other drinks available in this poll.

Uh...I think you are confusing term with opinion. Term means «word» or «phrase» and nothing more. A word has a precise meaning within a given context and it's meaning is not subjective: it has a fixed value. If you are unsure of a term's meaning, look in a dictionary.

Opinions are subjective. Terms are objective.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Beer has a wider range of styles. Beyond that, you are arguing about whether there are more shades of orange than of green.

I think that this sums up things nicely
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:47 am

ClubSmed wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Beer has a wider range of styles. Beyond that, you are arguing about whether there are more shades of orange than of green.

I think that this sums up things nicely

Indeed, sorry about the confusion and dribbling on :)

(guess got a bit carried away..sorry liechtenstien and Mr tattieheid)
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:56 am

Nae problem...it's actually a pretty entertaining thread!
Deactivated Member

Postby 100point » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 am

Liechtenstein wrote:I still say the winner is rum.

:P

Zacapa?

PS. Sierra Nevada Big Foot is for me best of the best, when talking about beer!!
100point

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 am

I used to love Bigfoot...don't really want anything quite that big any more. Celebration Ale is the one I look forward to every year.
Deactivated Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 am

100point wrote:
Liechtenstein wrote:I still say the winner is rum.

:P

Zacapa?

Do I know you??? Zacapa rum from Guatemala is a most unusual guess...Either you know me personally (and know that I have a connection with Guatemala) or we have just entered The Twighlight Zone...

:o
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 am

To come back to the original question, whisky is the alcoholic drink with the widest range of flavours, followed by Armagnac and cognac. The range of flavours in wine is significantly less than in whisky. For beer, I don't remember.
And sorry, I don't remember where this has been publised.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 pm

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this post but this thread reminds me of a typical enthusiasts response not very different from a gang of cheerleaders. It is my opinion only, but to say whisky has more variety of flavours is wishful thinking from diehard whisky enthusiasts. With all the varieties of wine - and beer also it's just not possible. First of all you have the varitey of styles but also if you consider the variety within a single beverage the answer may not be in favour of single malt. Would anyone in their right mind and with even the slightest experience with Port suggest it carries less flavour characteristics compared to a single malt? Furthermore, there are the more obscure spirits such as sherry matured akevitt. Many will perhaps dislike it but it's certainly not inferior in regard to variety of flavours. Whenever I drink a porter from a micro brewery I'm not struck by the relative lack of flavour variety. Same thing with a Sauternes or a Trockenbeerenauslese.

Let't not get carried away. Yes we love single malt and we may prefer it to any other alcoholic beverage, but we don't have to make it into a chauvinistic exercise.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I hope I'm not offending anyone with this post but this thread reminds me of a typical enthusiasts response not very different from a gang of cheerleaders.

I suppose it can get thaw way at times.

:D
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 pm

corbuso wrote:The range of flavours in wine is significantly less than in whisky.

I'm with Mr Fjeld on this one. Having been a wine and beer drinker for over 40 years, and a whisky enthusiast for almost as long a time, I would not hesitate for one instant to support the argument that wines (and quite possibly beer as well) offer a wider range of flavours than whiskies.

Just try imagining the differences between a totally un-oaked, delicate, light and refreshing white from the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer and a venerable, wood-matured Port or Sherry, or between a Vinho Verde and an Amarone.

Is it any wonder that whisky producers seem enamoured of late exploring the incorporation of wine casks of all sorts in the ageing of their spirits?

:wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder