Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How many Glenmorangies do you know?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Glenmorangies you've tasted

Poll ended at Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 am

10yo
23%
15yo
11%
18yo
10%
artisan cask
5%
cellar 13
6%
any of the 12yo wood finish range
15%
any vintage bottling (63 - 71 ... )
3%
any single cask
2%
new range after 2006
15%
other
8%

Total votes : 98

How many Glenmorangies do you know?

Postby wolpertinger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:39 am

just wondering how many different bottlings the community has tasted.
I think the problem with the mediocre reputation of the Glenmorangie is that most only know the 10yo standard.
wolpertinger

Re: How many Glenmorangies do you know?

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:48 am

I don't think Glenmo is mediocre. Nor, do I think that the majority round here do either. I've had quite a few SMWS single casks, but wasn't sure if yoy were concentrating on OBs so I didn't put that down.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:25 am

I've only had the 15yo. I think it was the third or fourth bottle I bought. As it wasn't full of peat smoke I didn't care much for it. But when I tried it several months later it really grew on me. The only reason it's still around after twelve months is that after first trying it I promised it to Mrs. Chef. It's the only whisky she's ever liked. I don't find it mediocre, in my opinion it's a fine example of a good sweet highland malt.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Holysinner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:50 am

Only the 10 (Original) for me. It's the only bottle I've had that got me wondering whether it was an "off" bottle. There was a musty scent that never really went away, and it was pretty spirity.

That experience doesn't deter me from wanting to try other Glenmo's, but I won't revisit the 10 for some time - though I'd happily try it in a bar for comparison.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:20 am

As far as I'm concerned, the current 10 ("The Original") is a stellar OB. I had a bottle of the Astar and thought that was excellent, as well. I'm not big on the finishes, but I know others here are fond of the Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'or, and Lasanta. I think we malt snobs tend to overlook Glenmorangie for no reason other than that it's so popular and widely available, and that's too bad. I'm as much a cultural contrarian as anyone, but sometimes you have to admit that there's a good reason why something is as popular as it is.
Deactivated Member

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:11 am

I have had the old 10, the new 10 "original", the Quinta Ruban, Lasanta, Nectar D'Or, the Astar and the Signet, plus one or two of the old finishes (sherry and port, I think though it might have been the madeira). I did not really enjoy the old lineup but have been rather impressed with the new line-up. The new finishes range from good (Lasanta) to very good (Quinta) to very very good (Nectar). The Astar and Signet are both very good though slightly over priced. Overall I don't think you can complain about these, now the 18 is way over priced and the 25yo is laughably priced over here, so I have never tried them.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:42 am

I've only had the Original 10 which for me was a nicely balanced whisky that really impressed me especially at the very reasonable price I paid for it in Australia. I would definately buy another bottle.
dramtastic

Postby wolpertinger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:49 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:... I think we malt snobs tend to overlook Glenmorangie for no reason other than that it's so popular and widely available, and that's too bad. I'm as much a cultural contrarian as anyone, but sometimes you have to admit that there's a good reason why something is as popular as it is.

spot-on! That is exactly what I meant :thumbsup:
wolpertinger

Postby borgom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 am

The 18 is my fav but i'm not a huge fan of the 10 or finishes. My main gripe with Glenmo is no the whisky but the pricing.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:57 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the current 10 ("The Original") is a stellar OB. I had a bottle of the Astar and thought that was excellent, as well. I'm not big on the finishes, but I know others here are fond of the Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'or, and Lasanta. I think we malt snobs tend to overlook Glenmorangie for no reason other than that it's so popular and widely available, and that's too bad. I'm as much a cultural contrarian as anyone, but sometimes you have to admit that there's a good reason why something is as popular as it is.

Ya mon! Respect fe dat!

In the words of Will Rogers, "I never met a dram I didn't like!"

I've enjoyed(all OBs) Glen Ten; Millenium 12; "Traditional" CS; Old Portwood(old favorite!Much missed...); Old Sherry wood; Old Madeira; Old 15; 18 YO; new "Original"; Lasanta; Quinta ruban; Artisan; Astar; Nectar d'Or...

Most were bought and owned by me...3 or 4 were samples/other people's drams offered, but I like them all. Would love to try an SMWS or any single cask.

For me, most outstanding were the old Portwood, the Nectar'd'Or, Artisan Cask; Lasanta (had 3 before reports of "sulphur" put me off a 4th!) and the "Original/10" is always satisfying.

I think the only distillery I've had as many(or more) of would be Macallan.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:27 pm

I have had the Old Portwood finish, one of my all time favorites (missed much) The old 10yo, the new 10yo (original) and the Quinta Ruban which I find to be great, just finished a bottle last week, need another one.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Sometimes a list is easier.

Older bottlings:

12 - sherry
12 - port
12 - madiera
12 - burgundy
Cellar 13

Newer bottlings:

Quinta Ruban
Lasanta
Nectar D'or
18 - Chateaux Margaux
Astar
Signet

I much prefer the newer range where direct comparison is possible. As stated by others, it isn't the quality but rather the pricing especially when looking at the 25 ($800). :insane:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:02 pm

I have tried the 10 at a bar..not too impressed. Price is what scares me away from the rest of the line. $152 USD for the 18 is just insane for an OB 18yr.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Consider that it now runs in excess of Macallan 18.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 pm

talisker10 wrote:I have tried the 10 at a bar..not too impressed. Price is what scares me away from the rest of the line. $152 USD for the 18 is just insane for an OB 18yr.

I agree with what you are saying but if you stay with some of the other expressions like the Quinta Ruban or the Nectar D'or of the Lasanta they are well under $100. I found the 10 to be quite nice and refreshing. I definitely prefer it over the old 10.

But I agree with Richard that it is crazy that the Glenmo 18 is more than the Macallan 18 thats a lot. Also, Richard how did you like the Margaux finished Glenmo always been interested to try that?
Last edited by scotchdrinker on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 pm

It is a wonderful whisky. Delicate...sweet maltiness, florals, dry grass/straw, vanillas. Three of us tried it together and all of us thought this was an excellent whisky. Much better than the 18s...by leaps and bounds. It's just a commitment of funds.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:10 pm

That sounds like a wonderful whisky. I wish it was available to me locally to try or buy a bottle if I could afford it. So, I understand what you are saying a commitment of funds. That's how it always happens with me.

After my last post I decided to do a little research on the Glenmo 18 and Macallan 18 to compare pricing in my area. I found some very interesting numbers.
Glenmorangie 18yo $105.99
Macallan 18yo $125.99
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:33 pm

The Glenmo for me is a middle-of-the-road kind of whisky. I did not like the old 10yo, the 18yo remains to this day the worst taste/price ratio whisky I have experienced, the old Sherry wood and the Lasanta were ok (the only recent bottle of Glenmorangie I have tried), the old Madeira wood wasn't very enjoyable. On the plus side, I have enjoyed most of the old Portwoods and the old Fino Sherry was outstanding. I have not tried any of the vintages or really special bottlings. In the light of so many wonderful distilleries and limited funds, I often overlook the Glenmo.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:That sounds like a wonderful whisky. I wish it was available to me locally to try or buy a bottle if I could afford it. So, I understand what you are saying a commitment of funds. That's how it always happens with me.

After my last post I decided to do a little research on the Glenmo 18 and Macallan 18 to compare pricing in my area. I found some very interesting numbers.
Glenmorangie 18yo $105.99
Macallan 18yo $125.99

I have a place here where I can get the Macallan for $96. The best price I've seen for the older Glenmo 18 is $120 but most have been repriced to reflect the new bottles price. Around me that is $140-160. Besides the one place I've been finding the Macallan 18 at $130-150 with the occasional mom & pop shop having it at $180.

Some of the shops around here are not restocking whiskies at the new jacked prices. See the lack of any new Dalmores in the LA area and the disappearing act being performed for the old version. This would seem to indicate that some brands are looked at as premium and stores don't worry about the restock price but other brands are looked at as non-premium brands and big changes in pricing causes a reaction by the stores.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Ganga wrote:I have a place here where I can get the Macallan for $96. The best price I've seen for the older Glenmo 18 is $120 but most have been repriced to reflect the new bottles price. Around me that is $140-160. Besides the one place I've been finding the Macallan 18 at $130-150 with the occasional mom & pop shop having it at $180.

Some of the shops around here are not restocking whiskies at the new jacked prices. See the lack of any new Dalmores in the LA area and the disappearing act being performed for the old version. This would seem to indicate that some brands are looked at as premium and stores don't worry about the restock price but other brands are looked at as non-premium brands and big changes in pricing causes a reaction by the stores.

What an array of price differences, I find it amazing how prices are so drastically different from place to place. but the name of the game is trying to find something for the cheapest possible. That's what I try to do when I am shopping for whisky or wine. Those mom & pop places always have the highest prices around me too I have noticed. I guess it is the same everywhere for everyone.

That makes sense, I guess I will be starting to see less of a selection or a non existence of certain brands or bottles. I should try and stock up on the ones I want before they do a disappearing act or the prices are totally jacked up. Those mom & pop places always have the highest prices around me too I have noticed
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Here's my lineup:

Glenmorangie 10yo
Glenmorangie 12yo Madeira wood
Glenmorangie 12yo Sherry Wood
Glenmorangie 12yo Port Wood
Glenmorangie 12yo Burgundy Wood Finish
Glenmorangie 15yo
Glenmorangie 18yo (unopened)
Glenmorangie Lasanta
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Glenmorangie Astar (unopened)

Of the ones I've opened the 15yo is the most unique with its new oak finishing. I feel like the new range kind of tarnished their reputation, but I'm still curious about the Signet.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeah maybe a list is easier, especially since some nice folks have already typed up most of the bottlings for me: :)

Old bottlings:
Glenmorangie 10yo
Glenmorangie Traditional 57.2%
Glenmorangie 12yo Madeira wood Finish
Glenmorangie 12yo Sherry Wood Finish
Glenmorangie 12yo Port Wood Finish
Glenmorangie 12yo Burgundy Wood Finish
Glenmorangie 12yo Golden Rum Cask Finish
Glenmorangie Cellar 13
Glenmorangie Artisan Cask
Glenmorangie 15yo
Glenmorangie 18yo

New Bottlings:
Glenmorangie Original 10yo
Glenmorangie Lasanta
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Glenmorangie Astar
Glenmorangie 18yo
Glenmorangie Signet
Glenmorangie 1987 Chateau Margaux Cask Finish

Independent bottlings:
I can rarely remember SMWS cask numbers, but I've had a fistful of their Glenmo bottles, all of which have been excellent.

That's all I can remember, but I suspect there have been others. I think there was a Fino Sherry Finish, but I can't remember the details. I wasn't that fond of it anyway. In any case the evidence suggests that I like Glenmorangie a lot, because I keep drinking it.
Willie JJ

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 am

Ah! Forgot the rum finish! It was £19 from sainsbury's a couple of years back...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:00 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Ah! Forgot the rum finish! It was £19 from sainsbury's a couple of years back...

Those were the days.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:02 am

I never got to try the fino sherry Willie. :(
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Have had most that have already been mentioned plus loads of the Society ones Willie talked about . One that hasn't been mentioned we got to try at the Ardbeg Candlelit Dinner of 2004 , the Glenmorangie Tain L'Hermitage Finish. A stunning Glenmo finish . I would say the ones i'd recommend are the Astar , Signet and any SMWS one !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:01 am

I've had the following:

• Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finish (43%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie Madeira Wood Finish (43%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish (43%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish (43%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 'The Nectar D'òr' (46%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 'The Original' (40%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 'The Quinta Ruban' (46%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 10yo (40%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 12yo Golden Rum Cask (40%, OB)
  • Glenmorangie 15yo (43%, OB)

Personally, from those the Nectar D'òr is the stand-out with the old Port Wood finish also being very good. The 10 - and the Original - are a bit too wishy-washy for me really, with the 15 being too woody and the 12yo Golden Rum Cask too discordant. The rest vary from average to decent.

To summarise, Glenmorangie is not particularly high up on my list, but then I have missed out on the Signet and Artisan Cask bottlings, which are reputedly very good indeed...
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 am

I have the Lasanta and the Quinta Ruban. Both are fantastic IMHO. Glenmo is becoming one of my favorite distilleries.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby wolpertinger » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

The biggest surprise for me is how many of you embraced the new range. In 2006 I thought this to be a sole marketing wahoo - but obviously they did something more right than to choose fancy names and bottles.

Seems they hit the nerve of the non-peat community with what they put in the bottles, too.

I only tried the Original, Ruban, Lasanta and Nectar d'Or and frankly - I was not impressed.

Seems I have to try the Sonnalta, Astar and Signet as well.
wolpertinger

Postby Klas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 pm

I have tried five of the "older" bottlings;
10 yo, 15 yo, Port Wood, Sherry wood and Burgundy wood.
I have not yet had the oppertunity to try the new bottlings, but I look forward doing so in due time.
Klas
Silver Member

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:57 am

I tried these:

Old bottlings:
10yo
Traditional 57.2%
12yo Madeira wood Finish
12yo Sherry Wood Finish
12yo Port Wood Finish
12yo Burgundy Wood Finish
Cote de Beaune Wood finish
Cellar 13
15yo
18yo

New Bottlings:
Original 10yo
Lasanta
Quinta Ruban
Nectar D'or
Astar
1987 Chateau Margaux Cask Finish

And the only one, which left me impressed was the Chateau Margaux Finish, so I daresay that Glenmos usually are mediocre. But on the the other hand I do very well understand Mr.T´s:

I'm as much a cultural contrarian as anyone, but sometimes you have to admit that there's a good reason why something is as popular as it is.

There is no contradiction between his 'good reason for its popularity' and my 'they are usually mediocre'. Only 0.?? % of all people are malt-drinkers and only a small number off them are used to old stuff, sherrybottlings, peated malts and/or caskstrength or are able or willing to pay prices above 50 or 100 euros/gbp/$ for a bottle. So they are looking for mild, smooth, highly drinkable, available and affordable whiskys .....

and find Glenmorangie, which meets all these criteria!! Reason enough for it´s popularity!!

And why do I still call it mediocre? Well, I´m always looking for the specials, for the highlights and for particular charakteriscs. I like single cask bottlings often better than batch-bottlings, because of their higher level of charakteriscs, I prefer casksttrength to drinkingstrength.
And I´m perfectly sure it´s not only me, who´s looking for something else than smoothness, mildness and drinkablity and who will say glenmos are trivial.
There are still good reasons for Glenmos popularity, but there are different goals too.

:wink:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:29 am

p-c, I also prefer single-barrel to batch release, and cask-strength to 40 or 43%. I've been through heavy-peat and sherry-bomb phases--don't drink much of either any more, as I find I prefer the taste of whisky! In any case, I think you are mistaken if you think that all that Glenmorangie has to offer is mildness, smoothness, and easy drinkability. It doesn't smack you over the head with anything extreme, of course, but that doesn't make it bland by any means. I think it's a very interesting dram in its low-key way, and a top-notch widely-available OB. If you listen to heavy metal all the time, you might think the Goldberg Variations is pretty bland. You'd be terribly wrong--you're just not attuned to it, is all.
Deactivated Member

Postby peat-chaser » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 pm

Look Mr.T and please do not only stick to my nick, I´m used to nose and taste all kinds of malts and a friend of mine, whom I usually meet 3 or 4 times a year always wants to convince me of the perfect quality of his beloved still - Dallas Dhu!
And every time we meet, he forces me to have a dram with him, which needs to be nosed and tried for 30 to 60 minutes and in the end you can find some weak notes of grass, barley and what is typically for DDs green apples :lol:

I do not only love hard-peated islaymalts, I also like more delicate malts, i.e. older Balblairs, the new Tomatin-bottlings (> 18y.o.), Glen Elgins or Rosebanks, .... All of them have unique charakteristics far below a peat-monster or a sherrybomb. Glenmos same as Balvenies or Glenfiddichs usually don´t have these OR you need a really perfect sensual equipment to find them ....

Have you got this?
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder