Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet / Bowmore 15 or Macallan/ Talisker / highland 10

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

what is best of below?

Glenlivet 15
No votes
Bowmore 15
8%
Talisker 10
77%
Macallan 10
8%
Highland park 10 (not sure about it)
8%

Total votes : 13

Glenlivet / Bowmore 15 or Macallan/ Talisker / highland 10

Postby clover » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 am

what of the above should be my next purchase?
I am pretty new to whiskey, my first single malt was the Glenlivet 15.
Now I have these options:
Glenlivet 15
Bowmore 15
Talisker 10
Macallan 10
and maybe Highland park 10
I am not sure about the last one so take it as an option only.
If so, what should I get then? should I prefer "younger" macallan/talisker to 15 Glenlivet / Bowmore?
And what is preferable anyway, the Bowmore or the Glenlivet?
Advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
clover

Re: Glenlivet / Bowmore 15 or Macallan/ Talisker / highland 10

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Welcome Clover!

I don't think I have ever had a Bowmore 15yo, and I have never seen a HP 10. I am assuming the Glenlivet 15yo is the 'French Oak' and so the three other whiskies you list I have had recently. Of these, the Talisker 10 has provided me with the most pleasure and would be my recommendation.

On a side note, Clover (and no pressure here), it would be most helpful for you to indicate where you live in order that you might receive the greatest benefit from this forum. I have found that the local men and women often can be the most helpful.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm

clover wrote:Now I have these options:
Glenlivet 15
Is this the French Oak Reserve? A very good pour if so.
Bowmore 15
The older issue Mariner or the newer Darkest? I like them both, the Mariner for its greater seaside flavour thrust and the Sherry finished Darkest as representing a marked improvement over the often inconsistent no-age-statement version it's replaced.
Talisker 10
So good, and so unique.
Macallan 10
The older Sherry casked or the newer Fine Oak version? Haven't tried the latter, but wouldn't hesitate to pick up a bottle of the former.
and maybe Highland park 10
I'm not aware of a 10-year old official bottling. Do you possibly mean the 12YO? If so, a lovely melding of Highland and island characteristics.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby clover » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I am from Israel btw.
I don't have much of experience with whiskeys and regions where they come from, as I said, the only single malt iv'e had is the glenlivet 15 which was great for me.
I want something abit different, just to try, altough I enjoyed it, but the question is, whether going down with the years is worthy - will a Talisker 10 really delight me rather than a Bowmore 15?
and between Talisker and Macallan, I see that you tend towards the Tali?
and about the highland, yes, I think it was 12 years.
So now I am thinking about the talisker, tough ardbeg you didnt help me alot with the descriptions as I am not much experienced with all :)
You were saying that the higland would be the best or Macallan or Tali?
Thanks agin
clover

Postby lockejn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:53 pm

In really over-simplified, general terms:

The Macallan and Glenlivet are of similar styles. The Talisker is completely different with the Bowmore somewhere in between, but still quite different from the Glenlivet. The Highland Park is different still from all the others, but probably a bit less shocking to a novice who has started with Glenlivet than the Bowmore or Talisker.

If you're ready to jump in head first, go for the Talisker. Otherwise, go for the HP, then Bowmore, then Talisker. By then you'll have a good handle on the spectrum of core flavors in Scotch whisky.

Age comparisons between distilleries - particularly distilleries so dramatically different - are not very useful. They're much more meaningful within a distillery line. No one can really tell you what's "best" since there is no such thing. The only way to know is try them all and figure it out for yourself. :iwbrnt:
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:47 pm

lockejn wrote:Age comparisons between distilleries - particularly distilleries so dramatically different - are not very useful.

I'd go one step further and suggest that age does not necessarily offer any indication of quality... period. Young or old, whiskies of widely varying ages can each bring something unique to one's senses of aroma and taste.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:11 pm

The Third Dram wrote:
lockejn wrote:Age comparisons between distilleries - particularly distilleries so dramatically different - are not very useful.

I'd go one step further and suggest that age does not necessarily offer any indication of quality... period. Young or old, whiskies of widely varying ages can each bring something unique to one's senses of aroma and taste.

Very true. In many cases I find that I prefer younger expressions over their well-aged counterparts. And in most cases to the contrary, I find the younger expression to be a better value for my money.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Apologies, Clover, if I was not as helpful as I could have been. I hope Lockejn and The Third Dram have cleared some things up for you.

"What whisky should I buy next?" There is no one bottle that you should buy next. Ideally you should try them all so that you will broaden your whisky experience. There is no rule that says you must stay with the mild, gentle whiskies (40%) before moving on to something like the Talisker 10 (fiery, sweet, peppery, some smoke and peat at 45.8%). As such, I gave my own preference for the whiskies that you listed and that I have tried. I was saying that the Talisker would be best, FOR MY TASTES. I find it has more to offer the tastebuds than the other two. But I prefer stronger whiskies.

In a similar way, as Lockejn indicated, age is not a great directive given the differences between the distilleries. It is not the case, IMO, that the Glenlivet 15 is more sophisticated or complex than the Talisker 10 because it is 5 years older. Such differences may be more pronounced within a range of a particular distillery (e.g., Glenlivet 12 vs Glenlivet 21), but not between different distilleries. So yes, a Talisker 10 may indeed delight you more than a Bowmore 15.

Search this forum and others for tasting notes of the bottles you list. If there are things that you see that you might like (or might dislike) then that will make your choice a bit easier. Be warned though, just because an expert picked out the flavor of Christmas spice cake doesn't mean you will.

Happy Hunting
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I voted for Talisker 10, and I agree that you don't have to take this in steps. I went from a few blends to Glenlivet 12 then all the way the Laphroaig Quarter Cask (fantastic stuff). I also have to agree that older isn't necessarily better. I prefer Laphroaig 10 to the 15, and Talisker 10 to the 18.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 pm

You guys cover a lot of ground in a hurry. So let me add a few thoughts in a different direction - Bowmore.

Bowmore 15 comes in two different versions. First there is the Mariner 15. Second is the Darkest 15. The Mariner will be more citrusy and floral. Look for things like grapefruit, lemons, limes, heather, lavendar. The Darkest is a sherry matured Bowmore. While you may find some of the above in there you are going to start to find things like red currant, raisins, prunes, oranges. Two different whiskies here so be careful in your selection.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:05 am

clover, I've voted for the Talisker 10 because I think it's the best malt you have listed but that doesn't mean you will like it.
Whatever your decision I hope you enjoy your purchase, but if you do not, keep the bottle until you have more experience with single malts and revisit it from time to time. Sometimes whiskies you don't appreciate straight away become loved or even favourite whiskies once your palate gains experience.
You should also forget about whisky age as there are equally good and bad whiskies available at both ends of the age spectrum.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:25 pm

You must try a Macallan 10/12/18(more expensive)"exclusively matured in casks which previously held sherry from Jerez"(or words to that effect). Overall, my favourite sherry matured whisky.

Don't bother with any Macallan that says "Fine Oak" on the label. Not bad, just not distinctive IMO.

Then try Lagavulin 16YO - a wonderful peaty dram, but balanced by other influences, including sherry. I believe this is the best "first " Islay. It certainly was mine...followed by Laphraoig 10 and Ardbeg 10. the latter has been my "house whisky" ever since...

It would be helpful to know which whiskies /styles you have already tried.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder