Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which rye to try?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which rye to try?

Sazerac 6 year
22%
Old Overholt
11%
Wild Turkey Rye 101
22%
Russell's Reserve Rye
No votes
Jim Beam Rye
22%
HIRSCH CANADIAN RYE
No votes
MICHTER'S STRAIGHT RYE WHISKY
No votes
RI 1 STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY
No votes
RITTENHOUSE RYE
No votes
RITTENHOUSE RYE 100 proof
22%

Total votes : 9

Which rye to try?

Postby talisker10 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

At some point in the near future I would like to try a rye. Here is a poll of what is available locally and in my price range (not a complete list of ryes obviously). If you could vote for your favorite.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Which rye to try?

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm

I've tried several of these. It's really hard to say, "Try this one." The ones I've had have all been good but it isn't like telling the peat freaks to try Ardbeg Uigeadail.

If you can track down one of the single cask Sazerac's they are very good. I know there are some for Beltramos and Traverso. I think, D&M or K&L and Binny's. Otherwise, try a couple of them.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks, Ganga.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 am

Folks speak well of the Old Overholt. It's the only rye I've had a chance to try and I was disappointed. It was good, for sure, but as Ganga suggested it just wasn't what I was looking for.

I wanted a heavy hitting rye to better understand its influence in other whiskies and I don't think this was it.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 am

Since there doesn't seem to be a real clear cut wowzer, I think I will likely go with the WT Rye 101 since I really like their other offerings.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby sku » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm

I love rye. Of the ones you have listed here, I would recommend the Sazerac 6, Rittenhouse 100 or Wild Turkey 101. All are very good ryes that are emblamatic of ryes spicy qualities. Rittenhouse 100 is probably the most balanced, Sazerac the most complex, WT101 the best bang for the buck. Both Sazerac and WT have a good spicy punch while Rittenhouse is more subtle.

I dislike the Beam ryes (Old Overholt and Rye 1). Both lack spice. Russel Reserve, which is a Wild Turkey product, is good but too, well, reserved for me.

Hirsch Canadian does not fit in with the others. The others listed are American straight ryes whereas the Hirsch is a Canadian whisky. Canadians are commonly referred to as ryes but they are blends which are different in character from American straight ryes.

I've never had Michter's rye. Michter's is, of course, an independent bottler, so their rye could come from any of the major distilleries that make rye (Beam, Buffalo Trace, Tom Moore, WT, Heaven Hill, Lawrenceburg)
sku
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 pm

I am watching this with interest as I a very interested in trying a rye whisk(e)y
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 am

A good rye to try is Alberta Premium, a Canadian whisky made from 100% rye. Google Alberta Premium to find out more about this rye.

Jim Beam rye (yellow label) is a good choice from the ones listed, and reasonably priced.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Great notes, sku. Thanks!
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Nice selection of ryes here. I voted for Rittenhouse 100 its great stuff! Not on the list but very very good is Old Grand-dad "BiB" 100. The best part is that its very cheap!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby sku » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Gov wrote:Nice selection of ryes here. I voted for Rittenhouse 100 its great stuff! Not on the list but very very good is Old Grand-dad "BiB" 100. The best part is that its very cheap!

Old Grand-Dad is a Bourbon.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:17 pm

I bought the WT Rye 101. I really like it. I must say I like it better than bourbon. I always loved the spicy kick of WT 101 Bourbon that comes from it's rye content, but the WT Rye 101 adds a layer of fruit (cherry?) and vanilla on top of the spiciness. Very different, but very good.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:11 pm

sku wrote:
Gov wrote:Nice selection of ryes here. I voted for Rittenhouse 100 its great stuff! Not on the list but very very good is Old Grand-dad "BiB" 100. The best part is that its very cheap!

Old Grand-Dad is a Bourbon.

That is heavily rye'd :P
Gov
Gold Member

Postby p_elliott » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:52 am

Rittenhouse is a Rye Whiskey, Old Grand Dad is a high Rye Bourbon there's a big difference.
p_elliott

Postby talisker10 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Maltadvocate and LA Whiskey Society spoke very highly of a vatted (?) rye called High West Rendezvous Rye..it's a mixture of 6 yr and 16 yr very high content rye..like 60-80%. I can't get it at home locally, but am working in New Mexico for a while so ordered some from Binny's website and having it shipped here (if I were at home I could not do that as Texas does no allow one to ship whisk(e)y into the state. I also got Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon since there is no difference in shipping in 1 vs. 2 bottles. I will post notes on the High West after I receive it.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder