Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you like inconsistency between batches?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Yes, I like the variety
62%
No, it is hard to know what you get each time.
38%

Total votes : 26

Postby Klas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:10 pm

There has been quite a lot of discussion on this forum regarding the different batches on Aberlour a'bunadh. Do you think that the inconsistency between different batches is a good thing or no? I personally enjoy trying out a new released batch, but on the other hand it is hard to know what you get each time. Is it a lack of quality or a good thing?
Klas
Silver Member

Re: Do you like inconsistency between batches?

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:41 pm

I really like the variety but equally I usually try before I buy if there is a variation.
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 am

I prefer the variety of batches as long as the quality is consistent. All whiskies vary from batch to batch anyway so having identifiable batch numbers just allows people to re-purchase bottles from batches they enjoy.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

I had to vote no. But I need to be clear on what I mean by inconsistency. Is it a break with the usual tasting profile? Or an accentuation of one of the more enjoyable tastes? For example, when I buy a Lagavulin 16yo I do so knowing how much I like the peat, smoke, and the other flavors it usually offers. If the flavor of smoke is accentuated in a particular bottle, then this would be a batch variation that I like in Lagavulin. When the smoke flavor is replaced with say a flowery sweetness, then I think I have wasted my money. As borgom said, there will be some inconsistency. Heck the same bottle will seem slightly inconsistent depending on the usuals of mood, time, whether or not my team wins, etc..! There are, however, certain tastes I look for in particular bottles and when these are muted or absent all is not well.

*Apologies if this poll is only meant to refer to Aberlour A'bunadh. I'm not sure Aberlour is overly concerned with consistency in this case (quality, yes) as they would be with their other OB range. I do think with specific batch numbering one approaches the issue of the "single cask". Consequently, with these you roll the dice and take your chances.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:40 am

I did not vote but I do like a slight variation when it is supposed to vary (ie single batch like A'bunadh). I do not like it when something is supposed to stay the same but changed every bottle (ie HP 12 sometimes more smoke, sometimes more sherry).
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Klas wrote:Do you think that the inconsistency between different batches is a good thing or no?

Actually, given the 'nature of the beast' and the amount of time during which a'bunadh has been marketed, I think it is quite remarkable how consistent in overall flavour profile this whisky has managed to remain through 20+ batches.

I voted, "Yes."
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bjorn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Yes and no? It's nice to be able to taste different variations on the same product, not entirely unlike hearing a song change over the years as the musician goes through different phases in life and career. At the same time, if I have an especially good bottling I'll be conflicted as to whether I should buy another (or several more) bottles from the same batch or wait for a new one. Likewise if I hear about a batch being especially good, like batch 14 of Abunadh, it can be really frustrating to look and look for one and only come across 11, 12, 13, and 15 (or something like that, though I did have a bottle of batch 12 and really enjoyed it...)

It is what it is and my opinion probably won't change that. :wink:
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 am

I don't like inconsistencies in anything: people, values or whisky, so that marks me as more of a blend guy than a single malt guy.

I do like SM scotch, though. They are more flavourful than most blends, so I save the SMs for special occasions.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder