Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which of the 'blacks' do you prefer?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

The dark blends... Which do you prefer?

Black grouse
31%
Black bottle
31%
JW Black label
38%

Total votes : 16

Which of the 'blacks' do you prefer?

Postby Scotched » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm always on the lookout for a good blend with a 'peaty' background flavour. Johnnie Walker black label has always been a favourite but having recently tried 'Black Grouse' that may change. This really works for me. Lots of peat and smoke with the famous grouse in the background.

I'm pretty sure this would fool some into believing it was a single malt from Islay. I'd guess its peat flavours are likely from Caol Ila...
Scotched

Re: Which of the 'blacks' do you prefer?

Postby Drammed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:38 am

I have recently been made a fan of Black Grouse. It is a very good whisky, especially considering the price.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Minnesota Malt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 am

never had black grouse, how is it different from famous grouse?
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:51 am

Minnesota Malt wrote:never had black grouse, how is it different from famous grouse?

Alot. It has been blended with an Islay malt to add a considerable smokey element. If you have had JWB it is very similar (to my palate anyway). I find it a little smoother on the aftertaste too (the Macallan talking there).
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I wasn't overly impressed with any of these. Given the choices I would choose the Black Bottle.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:31 pm

When I want peat I want the real McCoy, Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Port Ellen. A blend just won't do. As a blend JW Black is just fine with me.

After being suckered into going to the "Famous Grouse Experience" (easily the worst tour in Scotland) last year you couldn't pay me enough to try any Grouse again.

Resident Whisky Snob! :lol:
Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Whisky1978 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:48 pm

I never had black bottle. JWB I would describe as an every day blend, though FGB have its moments.
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Wave wrote:When I want peat I want the real McCoy, Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Port Ellen. A blend just won't do. As a blend JW Black is just fine with me.

After being suckered into going to the "Famous Grouse Experience" (easily the worst tour in Scotland) last year you couldn't pay me enough to try any Grouse again.

Resident Whisky Snob! :lol:
Cheers!

I quite understand! But in these times of belt tightening and shrinking pockets, we can't always crack open the Oogie or the 23YO Bowmore...so methinks it time, again, to plug a "rawther nice drink," i.e. a dram of Black Bottle into which has been poured a capful, a generous splash, of any south Islay malt.

Really good it is. The BB acts as a kind of neutral base that's sort of naturally integrates the flavour of these malts. I've successfully done this with Ardie 10, all Laphroaig OBs, Lag 16. even a few drops of a very aromatic 23YO Bowmore...

...and that, besides Bo Marley, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Wonder, is probably my preferred 'Black'!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 am

Nikka Pure Malt Black
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 am

Black Bush :thumbsup:
Alan Gold Label

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder