Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which to re-open? (FANTASY)

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which would you want to have re-opened?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 am

Brora
71%
Port Ellen
29%

Total votes : 21

Which to re-open? (FANTASY)

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:40 am

In the vain of the HTH, I thought it might be interesting to see which distillery all of you would prefer to see re-opened. Granted, these particular ones are not just closed distilleries but hey why not add a little fantasy here.

So for your consideration I offer up a south shore Islay and a northern highland. Port Ellen vs. Brora. Given the choice, which of these two distilleries would you like to have back in production?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Which to re-open? (FANTASY)

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I voted PE. At first I didn't really like my Brora, although I've grown to like it a lot. I still like my PE better than my Brora. Maybe I haven't tried the 'right' Brora yet. Who knows? I'll find out eventually.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm

There was a point about 8 years ago where I was getting so-so Port Ellens. The more recent bottlings have been more than very good to plain outstanding. Still looking for a poor Brora. :D I think I like Brora a little more for the variety as I've had ones with very light peating to very heavy peating.

And the point was, that both of these are lamented losses. It was meant to be a difficult choice. :P
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby olikli » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 pm

That's a really difficult question. I defintitely would like to see both re-opened. I voted for Port Ellen though as I haven't had a single disappointment with it yet. The only Brora I've ever tasted was a bit underwhelming in contrary.

Regards,
Oliver
olikli

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Brora... Though as others have stated, this boils down to a VERY difficult choice.

I'm trying to cough up the precise reasoning behind my selection, and I suppose it's due to the following...

1. Islay appears to be regaining considerable momentum in the single malt marketplace, what with the opening of Kilchoman as well as the incredible range of releases now being offered by the other distilleries on the island. Where a 'new' Port Ellen would fit into this scenario (I've always viewed its main attraction as a malt as being a complex melding of a 'softer' sort of peat - not to say lighter necessarily, just more integrated - and a somewhat delicate malt core, the combination of which permits more secondary aromas and flavours to emerge), I'm not quite sure. The northern Highland malts, by contrast, remain woefully underserved and underappreciated.

2. Good as some contemporary issues of Clynelish can be, I've yet to come across any that hold a candle to the best Broras.

3. My ancestors (on my late mother's side of the family) hailed from Caithness / Sutherland Country, so there's a bit of an emotional tug there.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby sku » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Great, fun post. I too picked Brora. I've never thought all that much of PE and prefer many of the existing Islays to it, but Brora is much more unique and I agree with you, I've yet to have a bad one.

How about some other pair ups: Rosebank vs. St. Magdeline? Glenugie vs. Convalmore or for us Americans, Stitzel Weller vs. Michter's.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:37 pm

I've tasted just a couple of Brora samples and a few Port Ellen bottles. Although I do like the PE's, I'm more curious about the Brora's. Have read lots about these, was offered a bottle of 30 yo recently for € 165,=, but the person made a big mistake and asked € 295,= :shock:
No way. Will wait for another chance!
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:47 pm

OK. That's enough. All this talk about the Brora's only fuels my desire to try some more. The next one I'll get will be a Brora. Any suggestions?
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm

johan brugge wrote:OK. That's enough. All this talk about the Brora's only fuels my desire to try some more. The next one I'll get will be a Brora. Any suggestions?

Vergeet je portemonnee niet, Johan! (Don't forget you wallet, Johan!)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm

I_SPEY wrote:Vergeet je portemonnee niet, Johan! (Don't forget you wallet, Johan!)

Weet ik. De prijzen zijn soms echt belachelijk.
I know. The prices are sometimes plain ridiculous. Are there any IB's worth my money?
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:32 pm

sku wrote:How about some other pair ups: Rosebank vs. St. Magdeline? Glenugie vs. Convalmore or for us Americans, Stitzel Weller vs. Michter's.

Ok, you convinced me. I'll look to start one about once a week. Probably include some of the mothballed ones if for no other reason than to wet your appetite with something that would be possible. :mrgreen:

Hm, Broras. It's so hard to recommend the IB Broras as the ones I'm familiar with have developed a reputation and are now gone. Brorageddon comes to mind immediately followed by the DLP nicknamed Brorzilla. The annual releases are very good whisky and I don't think you'd be disappointed if you like peated whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:28 am

Its a no-brainer in my opinion. PE is only reliable when its older. Brora is great.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:04 am

Has anyone tried any young Brora? Say, 16 and younger? I can say yes to Port Ellen but I've not tried any young Brora. What'd you think of younger Brora?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 am

I have not tried either so I did not vote, but is another Islay a bad thing :D
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:35 am

Drammed wrote:I have not tried either so I did not vote, but is another Islay a bad thing :D

Depends on whether you like to get ACE'd. And remember, Kilchoman is coming.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:37 am

Ganga wrote:
Drammed wrote:I have not tried either so I did not vote, but is another Islay a bad thing :D

Excuse my ignorance but...ACE'd?
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:48 am

Drammed wrote:
Ganga wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but...ACE'd?

Additional Cask Enhancement

Pretty much what Bruichladdich does to most of their casks.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

ACE'd = Bruichladdich/Murray McDavid (Jim McEwan)'s fancy term for finished
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby daveski » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Although i am huge fan of both, i think i am narrowly swayed by the Brora. Probably, because i haven't had the chance to try as many of the Broras, hence the reason to reopen and give me that chance :D

D
daveski

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:08 am

I voted Brora. As Nick stated earlier there are similar Islays but nothing close to Brora.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Ganga wrote:The annual releases are very good whisky and I don't think you'd be disappointed if you like peated whiskies.

I know it's a bit of a long-shot, but you might want to try and track down an official Diageo release (or, if availability is a serious constraint, an IB) distilled during the late 1970s. The 1982 Rare Malts Selection issue I tried didn't have nearly the peat impact that a 1977 distillation (in the same series) did, and I believe that the peating levels employed over the last couple of years of operation at Brora had a tendency to drop. Mind you, that 1982 was still one sweet whisky!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder