Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

U.S. members..Is SMS pricing itself out of your life?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

U.S. members--is SMS becoming way overpriced to you compared to high quaility American whiskey?

Yes, and I am buying more American whiskey
34%
No, the pricing isn;t out of balance
9%
Yes it is but I will pay the price anyway
56%

Total votes : 32

Re: U.S. members..Is SMS pricing itself out of your life?

Postby dramtastic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:
dramtastic wrote:

Useing some of these examples this is what I have to pay In Australia.

'fiddich 15 $90
HP 12 $65
Laph CS $120
Mac 12 $75
A'bunadh $100

Also

Ardbeg 10 $85
Tali 10 $75
Cragg 12 $75
Laph QC $100
HP 18 $150
Tali 18 $130
JW Green $75
Balvenie DW $90

You get the point.

If those prices are in AUD, most of those prices arent *that* bad. Ardbeg 10 looks like a good bargain. The only ones that look like gouges are the Balvenie DW and the Lappies.

MTY those prices are in Aussie Dollars. Now the probem is the false logic of using exchange rates to give what you would perceive as they're real value/cost.

I earn Aussie dollars not USD. Now having lived in the US for a time i can tell you that most jobs, like for like, pay similar money here as there. We don't earn twice as much in any particular job that would make those prices look reasonable.

So if you earn USD100 in the states and buy a bottle of a'bunadh the cost is roughly 50% of that $100. In Australia for that same AUD100 I get payed, I have to pay 100% of my hard earned to buy that bottle.

Now if you come from the States to Australia and change your money you will get slightly better value than I do when you buy anything. Only slightly mind you, as the Aussie dollar is now worth a bit over 90% of the USD so even after exchange rates you as a tourist would still have to pay 91USD for a bottle of a'bunadh etc etc. Which is not an advantage I have anyway.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Denny Kopp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 am

Yes, Pricing is a thought....
And I am changing my life and career to fit!!!
Doesn't hurt to have expensive tastes if you do not just aspire to it!
:smoke:
Denny Kopp

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 am

Not being a US member, although we share the same continent, I find that SMs prices north of the 49th have increased but then so have the prices for American bourbons as well. I continue to purchase SMs that appeal to my tastes, or are something I've not seen around before - Glenlivet Nadurra being a case in point. I saw it, I bought it.

I am more upset about products being diverted away from my market to try and capture a new foreign market share. I expect prices to rise over time, I do not expect to see customer loyalty being ignored.

Oh well, back to browsing the threads.

Muslrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:57 am

The other day I commented to my friend how in the states it seems having the words and qualifications to be called a "Single malt Scotch" is worth about 20 dollars premium. with it subdivided as Single Malt probably holds a 10-15 dollar premium, and the word Scotch a 5-10 dollar Premium.

Granted there are certain exceptions such as Glenlivet and Glenfiddich which are so mass produced that they can offer lower prices across the board.

But for perspective being in the states I can get Wild Turkey 101's both rye and normal for about 20 dollars. And Keeping in mind the differences between bourbon/rye and Scotch I'd say they are probably equivalent to a 40-50 dollar scotch.

And I had a Single barrel bourbon which in the states is priced quite reasonably, but I'd rate it as one of the best whiskey's I have had. Mind you I have not tried a great deal of higher end whiskey's but this Eagle Rare was amazing.

And there are 10-15 dollar bourbons which while unimpressive are not offensive, and for that reason I'm flabbergasted at the price.
AdamMY

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 am

Wave wrote:The Weller and Stagg are closer to $80 here and really not that much cheaper than premium SMS,l but if I couldn't afford to buy my SMS I wouldn't be in this game in the first place. The only reason I've slowed down in buying newer bottles is the lack of space!

Cheers!

I agree Wave, premium bourbons are climbing fast. I saw the 2006 George T Stagg for $47, the 07 for mid 50's the 08 for low 70's and my 09 cost me low 80's. So in 3+ years it has almost doubled in price.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm

This is the first year for the Weller for me, and I get it for the recommended retail of $65.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:02 pm

The entire collection here in NH is priced at $51 each. Course, most stores that got it (say, 20%) only got a case of each.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby ClarenceCarter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 am

I like, maybe love, both Scotch and American whiskey and I have been drinking them for about three or four years. I have mostly bought single malts when they are being closed out by the state (PA) at a reduced price or I happen across a great deal or I just say say what the heck.

Where I live, the popular malts start at 40$ and I've even seen some retailers tack on their own luxury tax I guess. I saw The Dalmore for 42$ last week. By contrast, I find the American whiskeys I like for around 20$.

A large issue for me is that I don't hide whiskey or put any off limits to visiters. I bought a Crag 12, it was gone quickly and I only drank about a third to a half. I even caught my wife mixing Mac 10 FO with juice. I'm eyeing my next Speysider. I'm going to hide that one.
ClarenceCarter

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:30 am

ClarenceCarter wrote: ...I even caught my wife mixing Mac 10 FO with juice. ...
:shock:
And, you are still married? Granted it was only the Fine Oak Mac so it would be a forgiveable mistake.
:D

I guess I should really consider it lucky that Mrs Musky has no interest in tasting my collection with or without mix.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 am

Yes, some prices have been getting ridiculous like, Macallan 18 ($154), and Balvenie Portwood 21 ( $212), seems like it doubled the last few years).

Still some distillers or expressions have seemed to hold their prices better Highland Park, Talisker, Springbank, Alberlour (A'bunadh), and others.

This is a luxury I enjoy, that gives me a lot of pleasure, so I will pay the price; I do tend choose/buy more selectively the malts I really like-- and do a bit less experimenting.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:29 am

I'm not a US member, but I can assure you that in Canda some of us are buying quality US whisky (ie. Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, etc.) instead of single malts. I used to buy a lot of Oban, but the price has gone through the roof in the last couple of years. Its now $98! As great as it is, its not worth that price. for the same amount I can get a premium bourbon (Knob Creek) and a decent single malt (Cragganmore).
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby ClarenceCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
ClarenceCarter wrote: ...I even caught my wife mixing Mac 10 FO with juice. ...
:shock:
And, you are still married?

She's a keeper. She even cooks daily and like to do so. I just roll with the punches from time to time.

I guess I should really consider it lucky that Mrs Musky has no interest in tasting my collection with or without mix.

Musky

That is lucky.
ClarenceCarter

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 am

Ganga wrote:
dylan793 wrote:If American distilleries began producing a relatively cheap SMS style whisky maybe I would say yes. Maybe i'm just not aware of it, but I haven't heard of such a whisky yet.

Try McCarthy's single malt.

What about Stranahan's? Does no one else think that is good whisky? Ok so its not a copy SMS style, but worth a try imo.
Willie JJ

Postby 1Malt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm

I'll be paying the higher prices.... just buying much less frequently, and trying to be picky about what I buy.

This is an expensive hobby, and I only just got into it this year as prices skyrocketed. But then, my other hobby is owning and flying a small antique Piper airplane :shock: so my wallet is staying rather empty these days.

I recently paid US$62 for Aberlour 16, $69 for A'bunadh and $65 for Talisker 10 here in north central Texas.

Laphroig 10 is $49, Lagavulin 16 is $93 and they have one bottle of Lagavulin DE 1991 sitting on the shelf for $100 here.

All those prices are before adding on the state sales tax of 8.25%
1Malt

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder