Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Getting the moths out

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Braes vs. Imperial (Kicking out the mothballs)

Poll ended at Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Braes (Braeval)
30%
Imperial
70%

Total votes : 10

Getting the moths out

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm

It was suggested to do some more of these. So this week it is two mothballed distilleries (at least as far as a quick research lesson showed). My bad if one or both have been demolished recently but we'll stick with the poll anyway.

Braes of Glenlivet (Braeval) vs. Imperial. Now, I quite enjoy both of these distillereis although it is a bit hard to find stuff over here from either of these. Light floral whiskies. So, which keeps the mothballs and which gets kick-started?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Getting the moths out

Postby jazz lover » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 pm

I find Braes has better ratings,
you may want to save this one.
Try to find the Cadenheads
bottles.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:57 am

I've had a love affair with Imperial for years so picking Imperial is a no-brainer for me. A recent 25yo Signaory CS in my collection and tasted at RMW is divine!

Light and floral really doesn't describe Imperial, gumdrops is more like it. For Braes of Glenlivet on the other hand it's to the T, closer (IMHO) to Linkwood.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 am

I only have an Imperial, so that's what I voted for:

... mind you, it's a Gordon & McPhail 12 yo Imperial 1990 so it may very well be a fairly common item across the pond. Over here it's the only one I've ever seen, so I bought two bottles back in 2004.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:31 am

I am but a simple Imp'

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Douglas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I've also had some very nice older Imperials so that was one reason for the way I voted.

The other reason is that I believe Braeval reopened last summer. This was the announcement I saw:

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/ful ... llery.html

Cheers
Douglas
Douglas

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm

I've had 9 from Imperial and 4 from Braeval. I count myself among the lucky. I like them both all though it is much harder to find Braeval over here. The Braevals I've had have been superior but the Imperials have been enjoyable. Unlike most it seems I'm the one that has the difficulty in choosing as I want both to be back in production. I voted for Braeval/Braes. For those that haven't tried this distillery, go find one.

Gumdrops for Imperial? Hmm. Must investigate with more Imperial.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby I_SPEY » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:41 pm

At this momenty I'm enjoying an Imperial from DT Battlehill and I like 'm very much. Only once had, long ago, a sample from Braeval, good but prefer Imp. :)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:16 pm

BTW, it is perfectly appropriate for people to vote on these even if it is only based on heresay. In this case, it comes down to curiousity regarding a distillery.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:21 am

Ganga wrote:BTW, it is perfectly appropriate for people to vote on these even if it is only based on heresay. In this case, it comes down to curiousity regarding a distillery.
Bad Ganga! Naughty Ganga! Crossing topic lines again. Uncle Musky must punish you!

(..."only based on heresay" - I love it!)

I'll wait quietly with my lone Imperial for the tasting. ... the lair is under construction and I've got all the bottles strewn around on the floor- I'd best go look for my bottle this week.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:27 am

Ganga wrote:BTW, it is perfectly appropriate for people to vote on these even if it is only based on heresay. In this case, it comes down to curiousity regarding a distillery.

I have had neither but I voted Imperial as I have generally heard better things about it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder