Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How much money do you spend on whisky each month?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How much money do you spend on whisky each month?

Postby Doug1937 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:40 pm

I started about at 1 bottle/month, roughly $50 or so. But I've expanded myself such that I buy 2-3 bottles/month, about $100-$125/month. IF I don't exercise restraint I can come close to $200/month.

Still, I see folks here with record numbers of unopened bottles, so I'm thinking I'm strictly small-time.

How much cash do you spend each month on whisky?
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Re: How much money do you spend on whisky each month?

Postby lockejn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:13 pm

It varies greatly, but I'd peg the average somewhere near $100.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 am

I haven't been buying on a regular basis for a while now (I'm crammed to the gills as it is now!), but when I do buy it's usually $200~400 at a time.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby grumpy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 am

I spend on an average between 300 to 600 dollars +/- :D :thumbsup:
grumpy

Postby whiskynig » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 am

Not enough!!!!!!!!!! :(
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby Peter07 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I would say somewhere between $100 and $150. Unfortunately, like everything, the price of a single malt is increasing. The average price for a bottle is about $70. If you want to go highend then you are over the century mark. Oh well, if one has to have a hobby it might as well be one that can be enjoyed... :)
Peter07

Postby Ol' Jas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:44 am

To balance the posts above: I spend on average around $30/month. Some months I buy nothing. When I do buy a bottle, it's typically in the $25-$40 range. (Think Tamdhu, McClelland's, Bowmore Legend, Ardmore TC, Knappogue Castle, Connemara, etc.)

For me, "the good stuff" (anything over $45) is a splurge that I save to mark special occasions. Examples from the past year:
Got a raise = Springbank 100 Proof
Got a bonus = Talisker DE
My birthday (gift) = Kilkerran WIP
Father's Day (gift) = Laphroaig QC

As much as I have to forego the many delicious bottles I leave on the shelves, I like this system. In addition to controlling costs, it helps "the good stuff" stay special. And I like having each good bottle mentally attached to some positive event as I nurse it down over the course of a year+.

Cheers,
Ol' Jas

EDIT to add: I don't think I've ever spent more than $60 on a bottle*. There's a lot of tempting, not-too-unreasonable stuff in the $60-$90 range, but it's hard to justify the expense when there's totally good stuff in the $40-$50-$60 range that I haven't had yet. Give me a few years and maybe I'll have moved up a level to find new thrills.

*Possible exceptions: Smaller (20cl, 40cl?) bottles that I brought back from Scotland to the US. In an ill-advised moment of back-o-the-napkin figurin', I calculated these were the equivalent of like $100 bottles or something if you converted for both bottle size and the currency exchange rate. Lesson: Never do the math!
Ol' Jas

Postby steveblack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:18 pm

When I purchase I buy 4-8 bottles that would cost 250-400 USD. As a average per month I might be spending about 150-175 dollars.

I have now stopped the urge to collect and this has seen my unopened collection come down from its peak of nearly 40 bottles. Now I have some 4-10 bottles at any time. Another change is the pattern of buying few favorites to use as regulars as opposed to as many variety as possible. The number of bottles of Glenfiddich 15 solera I bought in the past year is quite high. Ardbeg 10 comes second. Of course I do buy an occassional ~$100 +/- whisky now and then.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby danthepoetman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 am

Here, alcohol selling is controlled by the government. We pay a 40% hidden tax (yes, you read well). Nowadays I slowed down a little because of some health issues, but I used to go on whisky shopping sprees and buy 4 or 5 bottles at a time for sometime as much as $400 to $500 dollars. I wouldn't do that every month, but close to. I guess I was spending a good $300 to $350 a month. Presently, and it shouldn't last, it's more like $50 to $75, less than a decent bottle each month. :cry:

As far as I'm concerned, I don't collect. But I like to have several bottles in hand to enable myself to compare. I rarely have had less than 20 open bottles at my disposal. Unfortunately, I find I have the palate of a dog, but that's another story... :roll:
danthepoetman

Postby Volmers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Easy - I easy buy whisky for what would be 300 US d. . I live in Denmark EU and paying bottle tax aprox. 40% on top of the market price ... 300 US d would bee ONE bottle of Port Ellen in a store.... a shame - but the truth - wheep for me..

regards
:evil: Volmers
Volmers

Postby thespeculator » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 pm

I personally don't make an effort to buy each month and when I do buy i tend to take a whole day out shopping and researching online. Maybe £300-£400 each splurge.

And each splurge will probably be 3-4 times a year so i guess monthly average is £100 :)
thespeculator

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder