Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Most overrated malt?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Most overrated malt?

Postby DavidUK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 pm

I understand this might be a contentious topic, but I believe a valid one nevertheless.

I'm not asking what malts do don't like, if indeed there are any; but rather ones where, in your opinion, the hype does not match the substance.

My answer would be that I was somewhat disappointed with the A'Bunadh, especially after hearing so many people rave about it.
DavidUK

Re: Most overrated malt?

Postby Dubois » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Clynelish 14 Yrs
Longmorn 15 Yrs
Macallan 15 Yrs, Fine Oak
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Off the top of my head

Any Ardbeg I've tried
Any Bruichladdich I've tried
Glenfarclas 21
Benriach Curiositas(the only one on this list that I also truelly despise)
HP12

These rate highly with a lot of people, not with me.
dramtastic

Postby lockejn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:25 am

Ardbeg 10, Supernova, and Glenlivet 12.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 am

Ardbeg Supernova
Ardbeg Corryvrekn
Bowmore 17
Bruichladdich Octomore (all)
Bruichladdich Legacy III
Glendronach 1968
HP 15
HP 18
Laphroaig QC
Balvenie 17 (various finishes)

Suspicious of:

Lagavulin 16
Balvenie 15
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:30 am

Glenlivet 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Lagavulin 16
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby dramtastic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 am

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Glenlivet 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Lagavulin 16

Laphroaig 10 as well!

Sorry couldn't help myself :P
dramtastic

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

Ganga wrote:Suspicious of:

Lagavulin 16
Balvenie 15

Why? What do you think they are up to?

I guess those whiskies that have extravagant claims made about them by their owners are likely to be overrated, so Macallan, Ardbeg and Bruichladdich would be obvious targets.
Willie JJ

Postby dramtastic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 am

Willie JJ wrote:
Ganga wrote:Suspicious of:

Lagavulin 16
Balvenie 15

Why? What do you think they are up to?

I guess those whiskies that have extravagant claims made about them by their owners are likely to be overrated, so Macallan, Ardbeg and Bruichladdich would be obvious targets.

I don't know about obvious targets Willie. As a relative novice, I have made most of my buying decisions from reading reviews and opinions of punters that are far more experienced that myself. Most have worked out, some have not. Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Macallan et al meant no more to me when I first started out than Jack Daniels, so it's hardly likely that I'm trying to make a point by putting down whisky's that many consider to be icons(speaking for myself not Ganga).

I have personally not enjoyed the brands or particular expressions of brands that I mentioned. It is generally well known on this forum that I have a passion for Japanese whisky but if someone was to comment in reply to this thread that they found Yamazaki 18 or Nikka from the Barrel etc overated, then I respect that opinion whether I agree or not.
Sorry if I have misinterpreted what you are trying to say.
dramtastic

Postby lockejn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm

Ganga wrote:...
HP 18

Forgot about this one. A decent enough dram, but overpriced and overrated.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:16 pm

The one's I am suspicious about are the ones where particular bottles do hold up to the hype but others are rather "off". As an example, I had a Lagavulin 16 that tasted a bit ashy/charcoal and lacked the sweet sherry. The next month, I had a different bottle and it was sublime - no charcoal, sweet sherry coating of the mouth, earthy peatiness....

I also have found the HP 18 to be a bit hit and miss although I don't think it reaches its price point anymore.

Balvenie 15 is single cask bottlings and they've ranged quite a bit from a bang for the buck value to just above Drumguish (ok, that's a bit of an exageration). It's that some can be quite oaky and astringent. So it's hard to get excited about the 15 too much.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacDeffe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 pm

What's the definition of an overrated malt anyway ?

Is it those malts that are supported with heavily marketing and where the old age versions are sold in the thousand punds catagory ("We sell very expensive expensive, our whisky must be good!). Often the distillery use the prefix "The" to show the public that it's something special :-)

I can mention Glenlivet, Dalmore, Macallan here but will also add Highland Park, Bowmore, Ardbeg and Glendfiddich/Balvenie here

Personally I wouldn't accuse these malts of being overrated, I rather say they suffer from a busy marketing department..or maybe not suffer, maybe the opposite :-)

An overrated malt for is a whisky that everybody else seems to think is very very good where I just don't see the point

A whisky like Highland Park I always found overrated. It's no bad whisky but I just don't find it better nor worse than any other distillery. Still, a lot have it as their favourite distillery and it wins a lot of awards

/Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby DavidUK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Collector57 wrote:Any Macallan I've tried
Most Glenmorangie I've tried
Supernova
Lots of Bowmore

Oh, if I sat and thought about it the list would undoubtedly be long....

What batch was that a'bunadh David? Maybe it's an acquired taste being so heavily sherried, but #14 or #20 might convince you?

Batch 28. It's perfectly decent but after hearing how amazing so many people rated it, I have to admit that I can't quite see the enthusiam.

Interesting to see that so many believe Ardbeg to be overrated. I've only tried the 10yo and feel it to be pretty good
DavidUK

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Collector57 wrote:Any Macallan I've tried...

I can see what you're saying, Nick.

It's funny. Macallan 10YO represented my first sampling from that distillery (this was back in the 1980s, and I positively loved that stuff). Then I began going for the 18YO, starting with vintage editions from the late 1960s and early 1970s... Even more spectacular! However, by the time I got around to the early-mid 1980 releases of the 18YO (years of distillation), my enthusiasm waned substantially. Even worse, the standard 10YO and 12YO editions seemed 'more edgy', and less integrated and smoothly sumptuous. That impression has remained to this day, with the possible exception of the cask strength bottling. And this despite the company publicity, which cites greater care in cask selection and distillation runs.

So, I would definitely agree, taking the above qualifications into account. And these very same parameters also appear to apply (by and large, and strictly in my opinion, of course) to many of the Glenmorangie issues.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 pm

I don't have too much more to add to this thread but here goes

Overrated by price point....

Any Macallan
HP18
most Bruichladdich

Overrated by hype.....

Lagavuiln 16
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Longrow CV (i was really hoping for more out of this after the glowing praise it gets but to me it tastes aweful).
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Overrated isn't limited to press from the disillery (double gold winner at such and such, blah, blah). It includes the reviews (97 for an Ardbeg 10!) or a huge segment of the whisky population going bonkers for a bottling (Bowmore 17).

When I come across a whisky that receives very high praise and it is not close then I look at it as being over-rated. Generally speaking I don't have a strong preference for region nor much of whether it is bourbon/sherry matured.

I'd also like to point out that the Macallan FO series is over-rated, especially the quality of the younger ones. The older ones are good whiskies but do not live up to their price scale.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Maccy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 am

I agree with Ganga on The Macallan Fine Oak. Give me a Glen Moray over it anyday!

Furthermore, I absolutely hate the over-hyped marketing of so-called famous photographers, planting pretty pictures of their semi-naked WAGs, as labels for over-expensive expressions.

Yes, Macallan is over-rated - mostly by itself!
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 am

To balance the views..... :P
ANY Springbank
Any Arran
Any Highland Park

And i agree with C_I's Port Ellen comment
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Ganga wrote:I'd also like to point out that the Macallan FO series is over-rated, especially the quality of the younger ones.

But according to MacDeffe's criteria I don't think that the young FO bottles are overrated. I think pretty much everyone thinks they are crap.
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:To balance the views..... :P
ANY Springbank
Any Arran
Any Highland Park

And i agree with C_I's Port Ellen comment

What's the difference between ANY and Any? :)

I agree with C_I's comment too. A massive amount of hype surrounds Port Ellen and I think we are now seeing increasing delivery of the left over casks that weren't good enough to be bottled previously. Also I think they are getting past their peak in terms of age. No doubt this is happening with the other closed stills too. It really has been a long time since most of them shut.
Willie JJ

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Springbank
Dalmore (well the newer version)
Port Ellen
Bruichladdich
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
Ganga wrote:I'd also like to point out that the Macallan FO series is over-rated, especially the quality of the younger ones.

But according to MacDeffe's criteria I don't think that the young FO bottles are overrated. I think pretty much everyone thinks they are crap.

Oh no, not here. The distributors talk 'em up like you wouldn't believe. IT'S A MACALLAN! The sales people tell the unwary that it's just like the other ones only cheaper.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Willie JJ wrote:What's the difference between ANY and Any? :)

More Emphasis Willie...... :insane:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm an amateur next to you and Les Nick.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:I'm an amateur next to you and Les Nick.......

Isn't that like comparing yourself to Michale Jordan or Pele for europeans?
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:58 pm

I should add that there is really no such thing as advertising/marketing for SM whisky's in Australia and certainly nothing by individual brands. The only Scotch whisky brand I have seen any sort of visual adversting for is JW and that's usually only on the odd roadside billboard and maybe a newpaper ad.

If you know anything about SM's here you have have actively sought it out yourself. The only hype I've ever heard or read about is by whisky reviewers and by punters on sites like this(including myself).

Mention to the man on the street in Australia that you are into good whisky and they will say usually say Chivas Regal.

99.99% of people here have never heard of Ardbeg, Macallan, HP etc.
I hadn't untill three years ago. Use these names in general conversation here and all you'll get is a blank look.
dramtastic

Postby matthew2512 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:25 am

Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Supernova
Ardbeg Corryvrekn
Highland Park 12
Highland Park 18
Highland Park 25
Highland Park 30
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby steveblack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 pm

dramtastic wrote:I should add that there is really no such thing as advertising/marketing for SM whisky's in Australia and certainly nothing by individual brands. The only Scotch whisky brand I have seen any sort of visual adversting for is JW and that's usually only on the odd roadside billboard and maybe a newpaper ad.

If you know anything about SM's here you have have actively sought it out yourself. The only hype I've ever heard or read about is by whisky reviewers and by punters on sites like this(including myself).

Mention to the man on the street in Australia that you are into good whisky and they will say usually say Chivas Regal.

I hadn't untill three years ago. Use these names in general conversation here and all you'll get is a blank look.

Ha, you said it for me. If you replace Australia with any middle east or Australasian country for that matter, it would still ring true. :)

As for hype, as dramtastic mentioned, over here we are not much affected by it. Still I have no problem with it, as long as the hype do not translate to hike in price, as is the case with Macallans. In some cases the decision to keep the price high could be for the snob value, like in the case of JW Blue.

For me Ardbeg 10 with an ABV of 46% is a very good malt at the price point, regardless of the 'hype' that the distillery generates.

I might also add that a lot of my friends here refuse a second helping of Ardbeg and would happily go for a Chivas 12 or a Teachers :lol: They also have a glassy look on their face I say the SM names. The packaging help to make up their minds. :)
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm also surprised the number of times members have said Ardbeg in this thread. I could understand some of the Single Casks that have skyrocketed in price, and yes, bottles such as the Supernova at $130-140 probably are priced higher than they can deliver for such young whisky, but the Corry? Uigeadail? Both are rightly recognized as stellar whiskies that could beat a number of older, more expensive bottles H2H. I guess this is simply another example of "to each his own".

I will stick with the HP 30yo as my choice, though I have not had the most recent batch.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 pm

There are a number of scotches , which are not unpleasant, but I'm sure that their perceived desirability, is almost 100% down to their marketing budgets.

Glenfiddich,
Glenmorangie
Macallan,
Balvenie..

and also , Glenlivet and Clynelish. HP12 is also very overrated IMHO. Dead without water.

Must say I'm very surprised to see detractors of Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg Corryvreckan ...would agree in some ways regarding the 10 yr expressions...still all to our own , I suppose.

Thats no excuse for the Lagavulin 16 doubters though!! To the stocks with them!!!! :P
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby lockejn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm surprised to see Clynelish mentioned more than once. In this corner of the US it's practically unheard of and a bit difficult to come by. I think it's pretty tasty, too.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Clynelish isnt the best known malt either here in Europe, well all us entusiasts know it off course, but its not that common to see as OB neither IB

I never seen it advertised, and I also find it a very decent dram, I'd even describe it as underrated as a lot tend to trash it when comparing to Brora

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby rmcq » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:18 am

I am also surprised to hear that people believe Clynelish is overrated. I can't recall too much hype about the whisky, indeed even the distillery was completely deserted when I visited last summer.

I am, however, very much of the opinion that Glenfiddich is the most overrated product (of any description) in existence - full stop. Even the 40 year-old, which I was (un)fortunate enough to try was comparable to an aged Famous Grouse!

I'm happy to see Glenmorangie on the list. I think they are in for a rude shock when the spirit distilled in the great many new stills installed a few years ago enters the market to a great big scream of YUCK!

While I LOVE Ardbeg, I will freely admit that some products are very over-rated.

Bruichladdch? Hmm, Nuff zed.
rmcq

Postby leomavs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 am

steveblack wrote:
dramtastic wrote:I should add that there is really no such thing as advertising/marketing for SM whisky's in Australia and certainly nothing by individual brands. The only Scotch whisky brand I have seen any sort of visual adversting for is JW and that's usually only on the odd roadside billboard and maybe a newpaper ad.

Ha, you said it for me. If you replace Australia with any middle east or Australasian country for that matter, it would still ring true. :)

As for hype, as dramtastic mentioned, over here we are not much affected by it. Still I have no problem with it, as long as the hype do not translate to hike in price, as is the case with Macallans. In some cases the decision to keep the price high could be for the snob value, like in the case of JW Blue.

For me Ardbeg 10 with an ABV of 46% is a very good malt at the price point, regardless of the 'hype' that the distillery generates.

I might also add that a lot of my friends here refuse a second helping of Ardbeg and would happily go for a Chivas 12 or a Teachers :lol: They also have a glassy look on their face I say the SM names. The packaging help to make up their minds. :)

in brazil 99,99 % not know what is single malt too the people here only drink blends like teachrers balla finest white horse red black label chivas...all this whith rocks or energy drinks.if talk about whisky here and say names like talister lagavulin laphroaig...no one know this,no one know this is whisky to everybody here only exist blended.
leomavs

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:58 am

Yes, regarding Clynelish, my comments are centred on what I'd heard about it, prior to me tasting it.

My comments in my whisky file book are quite scathing about it.

Its a few years since I tried it., so my my palate may have changed, but I was not impressed, thats for sure.

So, maybe just a personal taste based opinion here.
Rufus Skytrousers

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder