Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Most overrated malt?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Re: Most overrated malt?

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 pm

[quote="MacDeffe"]What's the definition of an overrated malt anyway ?

Ardbeg, then Ardbeg, then i think probably another ardbeg and maybe Laph 10 but i may take a rain check on that one as i believe i almost enjoyed it the last time i had one?
I cannot believe it with some of these replies :shock: When i posted on here a couple of years ageo about Ardbeg being overrated i was almost banished for saying it. Thank god not everyone believes all the hype out there. HOORAY :D
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Lucas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Lots of Ardbeg and HP throughout the thread, I'm well surprised :shock:

For me, any Fine Oak Macallan. Bruichladdich's portfolio is not overrated, it's pure scam :P
Lucas

Postby Theus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:04 am

Ardbeg Uigeadail...
Theus

Postby mitridate » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:To balance the views..... :P
ANY Springbank
Any Arran
Any Highland Park

And i agree with C_I's Port Ellen comment

Obviously you forgot to include ANY Glenmorangie 8)
mitridate

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 am

I have to concur with Lucas' comments about Macallan Fine Oak series. A dreadful misuse of hype and a waste of decent whisky. They should double cask finish it by returning the remainder to age a bit longer in a sherry cask or pipe, thereby trying to rescue something of an indifferent series of whiskies. (Indifferent is my most damning condemnation of a whisky)
Glenmo re-naming their whiskies and jacking up the price was my second choice for overrated whisky. Frankly, IMHO, the older offerings were far superior to the new batch of Nectar D'or et al.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Glenmo gets my nod here. The prices for the quality are just silly. I hate the "quality" of the sherry in the whatever it is called new botteling (Don't want to waste the effort to google it).
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:Glenmo gets my nod here. The prices for the quality are just silly. I hate the "quality" of the sherry in the whatever it is called new botteling (Don't want to waste the effort to google it).

Lasanta or Sonnalta PX? I think there are some very over-priced Glenmos around. But can you really call $55 for 1.75 L of The Original over-priced for the quality? I'm curious what people would say about $43 for the Quinta Ruben and Lasanta and $80 for the 18.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby 1Malt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Lagavulin 16 and Distillers Edition. Way overpriced.
1Malt

Postby pipclurow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm drinking some batch 37 now & I think it's excellent :D
pipclurow

Postby jacko » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:45 pm

I think it's it would have to be hp12 many pubs near me are pushing it as malt of the month etc. After trying it I don't think it warrants therefore overrated
jacko

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:39 am

I'm a big fan of Ardbeg, and though I can understand why people may think they're overhyped and overrated, I've got to draw the line when they say that about Uigeadail. It's hands-down my favorite whisky. Very bold, very complex, well-balanced. Overpriced? The price seems highly variable from year to year, so I can see why many would find it overpriced sometimes.

I don't think it's overrated, so much as some people just don't like it that much.

Lagavulin? Very similar in those respects, though $80 is my limit for that one. And its quality has taken a hit in the last couple of years. And if overrated equals overhyped, well, this one gets no hype.

My vote for overrated whisky goes to Glemorangie. It simply has very little complexity.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby mark_jacobs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:57 am

I'd have to say every Dalmore I've ever tried
mark_jacobs

Postby AdamMY » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 pm

mark_jacobs wrote:I'd have to say every Dalmore I've ever tried

Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean its over hyped by advertising then I agree. But in order for Dalmore to be overrated I figure people would have to actually consider it good. Not sure I have found anyone that finds any Dalmore more than just okay, and often their opinions are far worse than that.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 am

Nope - had Many VERY good Dalmore's - some are in the greatest beverages I have ever had
mikeymad

Postby AdamMY » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:22 am

mikeymad wrote:Nope - had Many VERY good Dalmore's - some are in the greatest beverages I have ever had

Mikey, just curious were these Dalmores, IB's or OB's? If they were OB's were they some of the bottles that are lets just say on the rather pricey side of things? I based my comment mostly on the fact that I have heard to stay away from Dalmore in general. Though the only bottle I have had is their 12 year old, which I found downright aweful.

Although I could believe Dalmore is so focused on their premium offerings, that their more affordable offerings could be some of the worst stuff they have. Either way, the 12 I had may have also been a tainted bottle, because it was nearly undrinkable, so much moldy ranicd orange it was incredible to believe that they could bottle it. While others do not find it great, still thought it was better than how I described it.
AdamMY

Postby mikeymad » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:33 am

OB's

and nope not all pricey.

Other than Mac 12 - I have drank and enjoyed more bottles of Dalmore 12 than any other malt.

The Stillman's Dram series were really good. And the current 18yo and King III are good but pricey.

... and yes I have had a 60yo, and 40-45yo's that are really good.
mikeymad

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder