Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Famous Signature Speysiders

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one of these (readily available) speysiders would you choose?

Aberlour 10 yo
50%
Glenfiddich 12 yo
23%
Glenlivet 12 yo
27%

Total votes : 30

Famous Signature Speysiders

Postby drinix » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:37 am

Probably the three most widely known signature expressions from Speyside (excluding The Macallan). Which one would you choose and why?
I may have added other whiskies (Cragganmore, Glenfarclas, Balvenie, etc.) but I really wanted a race among just the three of them!
drinix

Re: Famous Signature Speysiders

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Some years ago, I would have likely given a nod to the Aberlour. But based on recently tried samplings, the Glenlivet has done its distillery's name proud... A subtle and quite delicate dram, to be sure, but a surprisingly satisfying one too. So Glenlivet 12 Year Old it is.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 pm

As I've bought more bottles of Aberlour 10 than any other SM I've tried then my vote is obvious.........well I hope it is.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby brummage » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 am

I've voted for the Glenfiddich although it is a very very close call and for a free bottle I could be persuaded to change my vote to either of the others :P
brummage

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I voted for Aberlour 10, it is an amazing malt at the price point and just like dramtastic, I think I have bought more bottles of this than any other malt
I found the Glenfiddich 12 to be missing something
The Glenlivet 12 is nice but I tend to dismiss it next to the 15 French Oak which I adore.
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby bredman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:03 am

The Glenfiddich 12 is one of the worst smw i ever had the misfortune to own a bottle of, if you like the flavour of E150 then you'll like it. The Glenlivet is marginally better on current bottlings. So my vote would go to the Aberlour, the best of a bad bunch. A very slow and boring race.

Spend an extra few quid and buy a CS Nadurra.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm

of these 3 I would have to go for the Livet 12. I enjoy the simple fruitiness of the taste and I don't have to spend a bunch of time thinking about what I am tasting. The bigger brother Nadurra on the other hand is one of my favourite scotches and is worth the extra $$ to purchase.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:30 am

Drammed wrote:The bigger brother Nadurra on the other hand is one of my favourite scotches and is worth the extra $$ to purchase.

So, so true! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:57 pm

There's a problem with the selection. The Aberlour 10 is no longer readily available. It has been discontinued (at least in the States) in favor of the Aberlour 12.

I choose Glendfiddich 12. I've always preferred it to the Glenlivet 12 although the Glenlivet has really improved over the years (or I've gained understanding).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am

Collector57 wrote:That's no problem here - just bought a bottle of Aberlour 10 for £16!

Surprised you didn't buy 2 at that price Nick. Cheap and nasty bourbons and Scotch blends cost more than that here in Australia.
dramtastic

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Southern California gets the 12, 16 and a'bunadh from Aberlour. So what does the UK have readily available?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

The Aberlour 10 is a fairly decent malt but I wouldn't call it a Signature Speysider at least here in the USA where most of the advertising $$ goes to Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Of those two I'd have to give Glenfiddich the (slight) edge. If the Aberlour 12 can be substituted for the 10 as it's "Signature Speysider" then it pounds all!

Several years ago I would have stated Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve as the Signature Speyside. With the king gone I think the seat is still up for grabs. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Sir Dino » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Wave wrote:Several years ago I would have stated Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve as the Signature Speyside. With the king gone I think the seat is still up for grabs. :wink: Cheers!.

The king is still alive! :thumbsup:
But you have to pay more for an audience... :wink:
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby Rufus Skytrousers » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 am

I recently had a bottle of Aberlour 10..one of the s'martkets had it a bargain £14.99.

Its not bad...not exciting, under any circumstance , but far preferable to the other 2 , and a pleasant dram.
Rufus Skytrousers

Postby drinix » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 pm

I had the chance to try the Aberlour 10 in the last 2 weeks, as I bought a bottle of it. As far as I'm concerned, the Aberlour and the Glenlivet are quite similar, while I find the Glenfiddich lighter and with less character.
Nevertheless I find the Aberlour far better than the Glenlivet.
While the Aberlour is fuller and nuttier, I find that the 'livet has a bitter after-taste that I don't like very much (even though I love the nose), moreover it seems to me a little unbalanced.
I don't know if it's my bottle, or if it's the malt...I will have to sample from another bottle to reach a conclusion.

Cheers
drinix

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 pm

I don't overly rate any of these but if I was in a bar and these were my only choices I'd always go for the Glenfiddich. I've never liked the the Glenlivet and I've had found the aberlour a bit on the boring side.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Swedish Chef » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Aberlour 10 for me.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder